• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New research debunks the dinosaur's roar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suuuuure. Finding out your life has been one big lie means you never liked dinosaurs to begin with. You were just a big faker.
I mean, liking the actual science and such of dinosaurs and not just the idea of dinosaurs

I sure as hell loved dinosaurs as a kid. I knew all the names, would read books about the research and their lifecycles and all that. So if you were interested like that, actually wanted to learn about dinosaurs, but are now annoyed that dinosaurs are "ruined"...

What happened? Why were you into the science of dinosaurs then and not now?

This is a stupid thing to ask because if the movies were 100% scientifically accurate there wouldn't be any damn dinosaurs. You cannot extract DNA from fossils because its half life is tiny compared to the millions of years the fossils have existed.

Well thanks for ruining my childhood, jerk.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is the whole shrink-wrapped theory/idea still a thing? Did dinosaurs actually even look the way we think? And I don't just mean feathers

Hippo | Rhino
Horse | Cat

My favorite
Spider Monkey
:

CqEHdtX.jpg

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Fucking lying pieces of shit. Have you heard the war cry of a Golden Eagle? Magnify that into a 30 foot tall frame, and tell me that same cry wouldn't be an earth shaking roar. Enough is enough. First the feathers crap and now this.

I mean, liking the actual science and such of dinosaurs and not just the idea of dinosaurs

I sure as hell loved dinosaurs as a kid. I knew all the names, would read books about the research and their lifecycles and all that. So if you were interested like that, actually wanted to learn about dinosaurs, but are now annoyed that dinosaurs are "ruined"...

What happened? Why were you into the science of dinosaurs then and not now?
Haha I dunno. It doesnt really bother me. I still find it fascinating. Its like.. I used to dream of seeing dinosaurs in real life. A Land before Time.. Jurrasic Park.. Looking at thise skelletons at the museum and imagining them in real life. All this new info just takes away from that a bit and I think it just sours the memory for some a little bit. I dont think too many of the comments about dinos being ruined are genuine. Just our memory of them. Its all still cool. Just different.

So yeah. The idea of them changing sucks for some.

Edit: like.. I used to have those little archaeologist-in-training (paleontologist) rocks with fake dino skulls in them that you chiseled out and cleaned off with a brush. Its not like just because I'm not a huge fan of the new discoveries means I was never really into dinosaurs.

This is a stupid thing to ask because if the movies were 100% scientifically accurate there wouldn't be any damn dinosaurs. You cannot extract DNA from fossils because its half life is tiny compared to the millions of years the fossils have existed.

But in Jurassic Park, they didn't extract the dino DNA from dinosaur fossils, they got it from mosquitoes trapped in amber.

T-Rex making some weird cooing sound is oddly more terrifying to me than a roar. Still, fuck this, and fuck the feathers thing while we're at it. Lamestream media lies.

Haha I dunno. It doesnt really bother me. I still find it fascinating. Its like.. I used to dream of seeing dinosaurs in real life. A Land before Time.. Jurrasic Park.. Looking at thise skelletons at the museum and imagining them in real life. All this new info just takes away from that a bit and I think it just sours the memory for some a little bit. I dont think too many of the comments about dinos being ruined are genuine. Just our memory of them. Its all still cool. Just different.

So yeah. The idea of them changing sucks for some.

Edit: like.. I used to have those little archaeologist-in-training (paleontologist) rocks with fake dino skulls in them that you chiseled out and cleaned off with a brush. Its not like just because I'm not a huge fan of the new discoveries means I was never really into dinosaurs.

Honestly, many of the replies here make it difficult to not get that impression.

While much of the whining that shits up every dinosaur thread on GAF may indeed be in jest, (in which case, get a new schtick, kids), some people seem genuinely upset at the realization that nature and its creatures are under no obligation to conform to their subjective standard of 'cool'. That's fine, understandable even, if you were one who John Conway has named an AWESOMEBRO, whose interest in dinosaurs was on the same level of intellectual engagement as Transformers.

Yet the idea that anyone whose interest, (like yours), was in the reality of dinosaurs as once-living beings that science could come to understand so many millions of years later, could possibly be upset by the knowledge that they were every bit as diverse, beautiful and perhaps even occasionally ridiculous as animals are today, is, to me, simply ridiculous.

If all you want is a WWE-style throwdown between bloodthirsty reptilian monsters, fine; there's a multibillion film and toy franchise that caters exclusively to your demographic. Otherwise, for those of us whose interest lies within the science of dinosaur paleontology and what we can learn about their lives as animals, it'd be greatly appreciated if we could enjoy a conversation without having to wade through pages of 'BUT WHAT ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD!!1!' every goddamned time.

Jopie

New discoveries are really cool. My son loves dinosaurs and he learned to read when he was younger so that he could understand his dinosaur books. He loves when new stuff comes out. It doesnt ruin anything, it gives him more to read and he gets excited that he has more things he can compare dinosaurs to.

Toa TAK

Banned
As mentioned, this is just a possibility, not the de facto truth.

Still, I think it's pretty cool. I've always thought that one of the best Rex scenes was when he sees Genaro on the toilet and kinda coos with a horrifying curiosity.
Same here. Wish the films did more of this with the animals.
The people annoyed that dinosaurs are being "ruined" by new scientific data that refutes outdated info and Hollywood myths are like people who were annoyed that the sun didn't revolve around the earth.

If you're really into dinosaurs, like the actual science and history of dinosaurs and not just "dinosaurs are cool and scary", this is exciting stuff

Damn straight.

Honestly, many of the replies here make it difficult to not get that impression.

While much of the whining that shits up every dinosaur thread on GAF may indeed be in jest, (in which case, get a new schtick, kids), some people seem genuinely upset at the realization that nature and its creatures are under no obligation to conform to their subjective standard of 'cool'. That's fine, understandable even, if you were one who John Conway has named an AWESOMEBRO, whose interest in dinosaurs was on the same level of intellectual engagement as Transformers.

Yet the idea that anyone whose interest, (like yours), was in the reality of dinosaurs as once-living beings that science could come to understand so many millions of years later, could possibly be upset by the knowledge that they were every bit as diverse, beautiful and perhaps even occasionally ridiculous as animals are today, is, to me, simply ridiculous.

If all you want is a WWE-style throwdown between bloodthirsty reptilian monsters, fine; there's a multibillion film and toy franchise that caters exclusively to your demographic. Otherwise, for those of us whose interest lies within the science of dinosaur paleontology and what we can learn about their lives as animals, it'd be greatly appreciated if we could enjoy a conversation without having to wade through pages of 'BUT WHAT ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD!!1!' every goddamned time.
But my conversation!

Sorry, I dont frequent dino. But sorry. Please continue your conversation.

ajim

I've always thought this and made that connection between bird noises/vocalisation, but i love the t Rex roar ib JP and I refuse to believe that rexxy never sounded like that. It's too beautiful not to be like that.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm going all Creationist tactics on this. How do they (fancy pansy scientists) know, were they there?

Chichikov

That's not the point.
For someone who was always fascinated by dinosaurs, one of the greatest things about Jurassic Park was that for the first time I could see a high budget rendition of what science at the time thought they looked like (yeah, there were some things in that movie that were known to probably been false even at the time, but as a whole, they went for the scientific accuracy).
That made it infinitely more interesting to me than watching something like Game of Thrones dragons.

Yes, the story is scientifically impossible (not to mention improbably even on non-scientific levels) but it allows them to showcase the best possible rendition of what they might look like, and that's a huge selling point for me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That's not the point.
For someone who was always fascinated by dinosaurs, one of the greatest things about Jurassic Park was that for the first time I could see a high budget rendition of what science at the time thought they looked like (yeah, there were some things in that movie that were known to probably been false even at the time, but as a whole, they went for the scientific accuracy).
That made it infinitely more interesting to me than watching something like Game of Thrones dragons.

Yes, the story is scientifically impossible (not to mention improbably even on non-scientific levels) but it allows them to showcase the best possible rendition of what they might look like, and that's a huge selling point for me.

That was kind of my point. Those movies and books weren't going for 100 percent accuracy with their dinosaurs and asking for something like that is a little silly. That's half the fun of science fiction is the crazy places and ideas to explore.

Getting real of tired of "muh childhood" types shitting up every thread on dinosaur discoveries. Do you care about the actual fucking animal or just the movie monsters that are kinda similar?

I loved dinosaurs as Jurassic Park depicted them when I was little. But when I saw a documentary on velociraptors on discovery or animal planet or something, and it said "oh they were actually teeny little things and they had feathers", I thought it was awesome, because I was discovering what dinosaurs were ACTUALLY LIKE.

I don't care if a bunch of these posts are in jest, this anti science attitude, even when joking, is bullshit.

AxelFoley

Hol up, hol up, hol up.

First they tell me dinosaurs had feathers, now they tell me they didn't roar?

Man, fuck this shit. I'm out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Important things science is doing:

1. Searching for the cure for cancer
2. Discovering the origins of the universe and life
3. Shitting on the childhoods of manbabies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom