• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New World is Still Killing 30-Series GPUs

ManaByte

Gold Member

Since we published the original story yesterday, multiple readers have been in touch to share their own experiences with hardware errors when trying to run New World. As we mention below, it's not just EVGA cards that are displaying problems running the game, but Gigabyte cards too.

That said two of the struggling GPUs are EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra cards—one which had already been RMA'd but had received the wrong revision of the RTX 3090 in the process—while the other is a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti. We also have a report from one user about it potentially causing a fatal error with their RTX 3070-powered Alienware M17 R4 gaming laptop.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't get how a game can kill a card. Is it that demanding? Still, it should drop fps and the cooling system should work as intended.

Is it messing with the card's firmware somehow?

In the beta there wasn't a fps cap in the menus. Now there is, but apparently it's still killing cards.

FingerBang

Yeah, no fucking way I'm touching that game until they fix it. My card isn't even on the list but I'm not risking it

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its not new worlds fault.

Its the garbage cards fault.

No matter how shit the game software or driver software is, it should never be able to brick the GPU.

Another thing that jay2whatever doesn't understand.

Truth.

And even if it was the software's fault, its not like the game doesn't have layers of API and driver to pass through in order to communicate to the (failing) hardware, so surely they'd have to be responsible also.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Heard the best way to avoid this was to set a global fps limit on your gpu.

People are saying it's happening even WITH the FPS limited. IIRC the final game client locks it to 60 by default.

The Reddit thread is pointing to power spikes possibly being the cause.

Phase

And that's why I'll never touch the game. No way am I going to chance ruining my 3080 Ti.

Last edited:
How is this even possible? Is it forcing the cards to run 2500mhz+ or messing with fan speed? Never heard anything like it.

Merkades

I feel like there is at least two people in this thread that did not watch the videos. Furmark is a software program that used to brick cards. Hence software can brick cards, hence, it is possible New World can brick cards.

More importantly, why is it that these cards more or less run just fine on virtually every other piece of software, but die en masse on New World? Even the ones EVGA said were poorly soldered run just fine on everything else, but died on New World.

I run the game on full setting on my 3080 ti. And at one point I had WoW running at the same time and don't noticed the card heating up that much. Division 2 makes the card hotter than those 2 running at the same time. Hopefully it doesn't kill it after I post this message lol.

Buggy Loop

I wonder if Microsoft Flight sim has a similar although lesser problem? The MSFS menu was buzzing my 3080 Ti, like nothing I experienced in other games, and would actually stop when the 3D world loaded.

Lol the game is like a freaking power virus.
RTX 3090:

Revenge Of The Sith Power GIF by Star Wars

New World: Hold my beer

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That’s the secret twist.. the real new world is one without computers!! Dun dun ddduuuuhhhnnnn….

Rea

Game software which can bypass drivers and controllers in GPU and destroyed itself? Sounds like a virus to me. Unintentional bug turns into virus.

lils

People are saying it's happening even WITH the FPS limited. IIRC the final game client locks it to 60 by default.

fps has nothing to do with it, you can download 3dmark 2001 or something and get thousands of fps, it's not a problem. this will be some sort of bug with the firmware

Xyphie

The only way a game can kill a GPU in such a way that the game is at fault is if the game includes voltage controls/overclocking tools in-game. Any other time it's on the AIB or GPU manufacturer for making a shoddy VRM, voltage controls in the firmware or whatever.

Shit game, shit dev. Like really how did Amazon of all places not able to QA their NEW game on NEW hardware and find these results?

vkbest

Enought with this fake news.

A game can't kill GPU, this is ignorance mixed with superstition.
A game can kill a faulty hardware or bad designed hardware. The problem here is ignorant people like the comment previous to mine, who talk trash about the company or the game instead the shitty hardware they bought.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
A game can kill a faulty hardware or bad designed hardware. The problem here is ignorant people like the comment previous to mine, who talk trash about the company or the game instead the shitty hardware they bought.

a game is not killing faulty hardware

vkbest

a game is not killing faulty hardware

Hardware not prepared to be maxed by hours = faulty hardware.

If your PS5 can play Ratchet for 5 hours with no problem, and the mine shuts down after 30 minutes because its getting hot, my PS5 is faulty hardware despite could play the most game with no problem (its a example, my PS5 is nice at the time).

JackSparr0w

Banned
How is this even possible? Is it forcing the cards to run 2500mhz+ or messing with fan speed? Never heard anything like it.
It's not possible. A game cannot kill a graphics card that wasn't faulty be design. New world has a huge player base right now numbering in millions so statistically a few peoples cards are going to break and due to the EVGA fiasco they go post on the internet about it.

Who doesnt limit their framerates? Cmon, its 2021, should be common knowledge by now for every PC user. YOu can now even do it in nvidia cpl. Theres never a reason to have uncapped framerates in any game. Framerates should always be set minus 2 or 4 frames lower than refresh rate especially if u have g-sync or use any freesync stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's not possible. A game cannot kill a graphics card that wasn't faulty be design. New world has a huge player base right now numbering in millions so statistically a few peoples cards are going to break and due to the EVGA fiasco they go post on the internet about it.

Can you imagine the malware possibilities if it was allowed for software to put GPU's into a "meltdown" state!?!

Top Bottom