• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Ace Attorney Title in Development; Also new Takumi title announcing next year

upandaway

Yeah wasn't worried about the series continuing. I just hope the 3DS is the main version, and that it makes the localization.

Also, hopefully they tone down the hints. I didn't mind too much, because 99% of the time I realized the solution before they became obvious about it, but it's still not very cool.

Investigations 2 will occupy me while I wait!

Hope they don't pull any cases and use them as DLC like they did with Dual Destinies. It was painfully obvious that it was originally in the game. At least make it seem like you didn't do it lol
Wait what. The length and cases were right in line with the past 4 games (if you factor in time saved by streamlining the investigation, it's even more). They haven't done anything wrong with the DLC.

Thoraxes

pqQ25Jk.png

I feel so fucking happy right now I can't even put it into words.

Holy shit.

ZeroX03

Banned
Wouldn't they just have released it on the 3DS then?

Port costs, and 3DS wasn't doing as well then. If they moved it to 3DS they have to change/upscale the assets, do QA and testing again, probably change the code for a decent chunk, etc. They can't release it as a full DS game on the 3DS eShop, because, well... ask Nintendo. Full downloadable DS games should theoretically be possible, but who knows why they aren't? DSi Ware had a file size limit too, IIRC.

AAI2 was just a victim of bad timing more than anything. I believe Svensson when he says it wasn't financially viable, there were just a lot of things going against it.

Truth bending seems harsh.

Truth-bending is me being generous, actually, Sven told pretty much straight untruths about the relative sales of AAI and Okamiden as part of his "explanation."

Wouldn't they just have released it on the 3DS then?

It was already out on DS in Japan and Japanese publishers are notoriously unwilling/incapable of doing targeted ports to make titles more saleable in other territories.

Heh, for some reason I thought of 4 as a non-Shu game. But you're right, it's far better than poor Pollo's first outing.
Eshiro is now responsible for two of the better games in the series. We're in good hands with him in charge, I have full confidence.

Shengar

Honestly, I don't know if I want another AA game, especially without Shu Takumi around. AA5 is great, only it lacked something that the other games have.

EDIT: Wait, so Shu Takumi is back? My scepticism lighten a bit then.

Honestly, I don't know if I want another AA game, especially without Shu Takumi around. AA5 is great, only it lacked something that the other games have.

EDIT: Wait, so Shu Takumi is back? My scepticism lighten a bit then.
Takumi's game is different. Eshiro is doing this one again.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think Eshiro is doing a great job as the new series lead. AA5 and AAI2 are both excellent games (AAI2 especially), and none of his games have hit the lows that Takumi has previously. The series's future is very bright IMO.

Shengar

-Putting the lawyers at the scene of the crime when it happens so that they become as much victims or witnesses as what they should be - lawyers who are forced to do some detective work

Well, that's how it worked in Japan. Despite the game translation, and sbquent location change, you can't deny the game is all about big slap to Japanese judicial system, thus its almost impossible to change this unless they changed it in real life.

Shengar

Takumi's game is different. Eshiro is doing this one again.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think Eshiro is doing a great job as the new series lead. AA5 and AAI2 are both excellent games (AAI2 especially), and none of his games have hit the lows that Takumi has previously. The series's future is very bright IMO.

Both have very different flavor on directing the game as far as I can observed. Takumi isn't very good at handling twist, but he is very capable of presenting the culprit and make them more memorable even though the cas sucks. Also given the right length, Shu Takumi's overarching plot usually well executed. While Eshiro is masterful at handling twist, so good that it almost define the cases themselves. But he can't hdle the culprits. Most of them feel flat as Eshiro took the wrong direction with them
(Fulbright after the reveal is handled really bad that it almost make the twist moment feel sour)
. I need to remind you that I have yet to play AAI2, so my judgement on Eshiro might be not as quite accurate as Takumi. But even then my worry come from on series future direction. The Dark Age of the Law them is not handled really well in AA5 as overall theme and presentation. And there is a possibility that the next game will be about
the organization that hired The Phantom
, which exactly doesn't really feel like an AA game at all. If the next game turns out to be focused on the judges, I can rest with ease.

Both have very different flavor on directing the game as far as I can observed. Takumi isn't very good at handling twist, but he is very capable of presenting the culprit and make them more memorable even though the cas sucks. Also given the right length, Shu Takumi's overarching plot usually well executed. While Eshiro is masterful at handling twist, so good that it almost define the cases themselves. But he can't hdle the culprits. Most of them feel flat as Eshiro took the wrong direction with them
(Fulbright after the reveal is handled really bad that it almost make the twist moment feel sour)
. I need to remind you that I have yet to play AAI2, so my judgement on Eshiro might be not as quite accurate as Takumi. But even then my worry come from on series future direction. The Dark Age of the Law them is not handled really well in AA5 as overall theme and presentation. And there is a possibility that the next game will be about
the organization that hired The Phantom
, which exactly doesn't really feel like an AA game at all. If the next game turns out to be focused on the judges, I can rest with ease.
Well, I really think if/when you play AAI2, your reservations about Eshiro will be laid to rest, since almost all of your issues are handled masterfully in that game. (It really is sensational.)

But I also don't really have as much of an issue with those aspects of AA5 as you do.
I do agree that The Phantom kinda fizzled out at the end, but I think that was due to them not wanting to let too much out of the bag. On the other hand, I am very excited to learn more about this organization that is pulling strings from behind the scenes.

I also think, as I mentioned before, that Eshiro hasn't stumbled as spectacularly as Takumi has. AA4 almost torpedoed the whole series. What they did to Phoenix in that game was nearly criminal, and Apollo was barely a character at all. AA5 fixed both of these issues in a very satisfactory way IMO. I truly think Eshiro understands what it takes to keep this series going strong.

It's backwards.

This news makes you want to vomit up melons? XD

YES!

I didn't expect an announcement until around 2015. Since AA5 is in the eShop's top 20 selling games this year, I think Capcom wouldn't be dumb enough to deny localizing it. Then again, this is Capcom....

Zerojul

Oh yeah. A new AA would be great, thanks. And with Naruhodo again.
I just finished playing 4, it was quite good but IMO Naruhodo > Odoroki.
Now I can finally start 5 and pray it's as good as people say it is.
A new Gyakuten Kenji would be fine as well :)

rekameohs

Banned
People talking about the series writers: I thought that Takeshi Yamazaki was the lead writer of AAI / AAI2 / AA5 and that Eshiro was just an overseer of things as a producer. I thought that Yamazaki essentially took Takumi's role in those titles.

People talking about the series writers: I thought that Takeshi Yamazaki was the lead writer of AAI / AAI2 / AA5 and that Eshiro was just an overseer of things as a producer. I thought that Yamazaki essentially took Takumi's role in those titles.
You're correct, though Eshiro has really been the face of the new team.

But it is indeed Yamazaki and Eshiro as the two lead players. I should make more of an effort to convey that.

KNT-Zero

Things that need to stay the same:
-The animations and art style from AA5
-The music quality
-The wacky characters and some paranormal influences
-Solid, tight standalone cases like AA5's 3rd case or AA4's 2nd case
-The emotion system from AA5 or some other similar system showing testimony with art next to it
-More great opposition prosecutors like Edgeworth, Von Karma, Godot and Blackquill
-Creepy 'magic panties' jokes

Yup, pretty much.

Things that desperately need to change
-Showing who did the crime before the case opens
-Twists that weren't properly foreshadowed
-Terrible overarching plots like in AA4 and 5
-Terrible 'villains' like in AA4 and 5
-Apollo's perception system
-Only ever having one 'right' piece of evidence when two pieces obviously make the same point
-Putting the lawyers at the scene of the crime when it happens so that they become as much victims or witnesses as what they should be - lawyers who are forced to do some detective work
-No more anime. Seriously, that was an abomination

THIS so MUCH. Although I kinda disagree with the villain in AA4, that was kind of a good one. Both for reveal (twice lol), motive and modus operandi. Pretty good overall.
And OH GOD the anime turned a mildly serious japanese game into a weird sunday cartoon with blood and murder. Capcom no more please.

Capcom needs to implement boob physics i think. Gif would of being much better.

You can either get the DLC case for a little boob animation (won't say on who, that's part of the surprise heheh) or just get out and play Ryse for your weird boob physics needs xD

Shengar

Well, I really think if/when you play AAI2, your reservations about Eshiro will be laid to rest, since almost all of your issues are handled masterfully in that game. (It really is sensational.)

But I also don't really have as much of an issue with those aspects of AA5 as you do.
I do agree that The Phantom kinda fizzled out at the end, but I think that was due to them not wanting to let too much out of the bag. On the other hand, I am very excited to learn more about this organization that is pulling strings from behind the scenes.

I also think, as I mentioned before, that Eshiro hasn't stumbled as spectacularly as Takumi has. AA4 almost torpedoed the whole series. What they did to Phoenix in that game was nearly criminal, and Apollo was barely a character at all. AA5 fixed both of these issues in a very satisfactory way IMO. I truly think Eshiro understands what it takes to keep this series going strong.

To be fair, AA4 mistake is the inclusion of Phoenix, and how Takumi want to shoehorned all of that shit under 4 case, which clearly isn't enough.Takumi's original plan is to give the series another fresh start wasn't it? But Capcom forced him to include Phoenix which ultimately screwed up with his direction of the game. I just hope Eshiro tackle another jab at Japanese Judicial system, not focusing too much on the game goofy side
(my main worryness about this come from Case 5-3, which take place in a goddamned highschool), and also the sudden shounen speech when The Phantom was about to break
. I believe AAI2 cover feature a woman judge in there right? I hope AA6 now turned it focus to the judges, as both prosecutor and attorney have been covered in great deal already while leaving the judges clueless as ever,

Young Magus

NICCCCCCCCCCEEEEE!!!!!!! Gotten into the series over the last 2 months, I'm suffering withdrawals already. I need more!!

I think Ace Attorney can function just fine without him. He was partly responsible for Apollo Justice, and Layton VS Ace Attorney wasn't that great (from what i've heard). I loved the previous Ace Attorney games, but I wasn't really fond of the way he characterized certain characters (Phoenix being the main offender).

What issues you had with Phoenix's characterization?

sinxtanx

Wishlist:
  • Make contradictions hard to spot; they were far too easy in DD
  • But keep the logic train; that was amazing every time
  • Gumshoe, either as chief of detectives or (gasp) defendant
  • Yo Apollo did I ever tell you about your mom? Well she's dead and you have to defend her murderer. Have fun!
  • The ability to investigate every screen and get some misc. dialogue would be nice
  • They are going to bring back Filch whether I like it or not, aren't they?

This is wonderful news. Hope we hear more about it at E3 (including the phrase "This will also be released for Western Audiences")

Jawmuncher

If this comes to the west and as a physical copy someone at Capcom is going to get slapped for not taking the chance with AA5. Regardless i'm excited AA is one of my favorite franchises and i've only played the first 3 games. I have Apollo sitting in my 3DS and AA5 already downloaded for when I beat it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
New Takumi game? :eek: I hope it's not for mobile phones, and that it does better than Ghost Trick.

Problem is Yamazaki worked on 4 as well and the credits make it clear it was far from the trilogy Takumi made largely on his own (AA4 even had another director credited along with all the new planners/writers), so crediting the producer instead of the writer helps pin AA4 entirely on Takumi. So glad I left this fandom before AA5 hit so I'm not longer emotionally invested in this argument.

grim-tales

Originally Posted by Griss

Things that desperately need to change
-Showing who did the crime before the case opens
-Twists that weren't properly foreshadowed
-Terrible overarching plots like in AA4 and 5
-Terrible 'villains' like in AA4 and 5
-Apollo's perception system
-Only ever having one 'right' piece of evidence when two pieces obviously make the same point
-No more anime. Seriously, that was an abomination

I have yet to play AA5 but I completely agree with the bolded parts, thats the problem with AA games. Showing the criminal at the start spoils things. Its just about acceptable in a tutorial like 1-1 but after that, really?
There was an anime? When did this happen?

Shu Takumi working on PWvsPL2.
AA5 team working on AAI3, Capcom bundle AAI2 port when it hits the west.

AA erry day. Believe.

An AAI3 post time skip would be very fun. We could find out what the hell happened to Gumshoe.

Alrus

I don't remember previous AA games showing the killer at the beginning outside of the first two cases. Do they really show them for all cases in 5?

Bravocado

Maya will definitely be in
as the victim of the final case

I get that Maya is kinda dumb and useless in retrospect, but am I the only person here still at least a little fond of her?

I totally prefer Athena though.

Once I saw
Pearly and Edgy
, I kept hoping someone would mention
Commissioner Gumshoe
. Here's hoping for the next game (which I'm very happy to hear is being made)!

GSR

This isn't really that much in the way of news besides Takumi confirming he wants to announce his new game in 2014, but it's still nice to get new solid comments.

As an aside, the 2013 game that left the biggest impression on Takumi was The Wonderful 101, while for Yamazaki it was Beyond: Two Souls.

Midou

AA5 started off a bit slow but I felt it got pretty fantastic towards the end. I like Apollo and Athena just fine, and I didn't mind playing as them, but I still found myself enjoying the Phoenix cases the most.

Still going through the first DLC now, I was expecting something short and moneygrabby since its Capcom but AA5 seems like a really weird fluke, how was Capcom capable of releasing something like this, with a fast translation turnaround time too.

I like Maya the best as a person but I agree Athena is more relevant in both gameplay and plot, the emotion finding mechanic was neat.

Top Bottom