• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gamepass description? :messenger_hushed:

Well, wathever, I generally do not give a fuck about these things.
Any hobby is about being an hobby, some are healty like sports but generally they are of very relative importance. Also, if he can't see the cultural value of videogames in 2020 it's his problem, even reading books don't get you a job directly, you can spend your whole life reading Tolkien, Asimov or Kafka and still be broken as fuck with no skills. But the problem aren't books.

Last edited:

By-mission

Can you post evidence of him doing that, so someone can call him out on that.

Well here is my evidence:

In the presentation of the PS5 the DF was emphatic "we did not see evidence of VRS" and this is bad according to Xbox fans, because the PS5 is lagging behind without this functionality ... and they even used a 300% magnifying to say so 'look at the Gt7 RayTracing is not in 4k "

Now in the Microsoft presentation and you can see VRS in action, or better in blur and what they say:

... ”see the light well it doesn't help to see things clearly” ...

But don't believe me, look at the videos for yourself and say that there is something very wrong here!

/(what we've seen so far across the board shows little to no evidence of the use of variable rate shading - a technique Microsoft is championing as a key efficiency driver in next-gen rendering.)\

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-ps5-reveal-does-it-deliver-the-next-gen-dream

/(The main criticism levelled at the game seems to be that it looks 'flat' and 'current-gen'. If that's the case, a lot of the effect here is down to lighting, where 343 Industries' new Slipspace engine transitions not only from a linear experience to an open world but also shifts to a fully dynamic lighting system)\

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-halo-infinite-gameplay-demo-analysis

Last edited:
I can see this interview is still relevant, if you haven't seen it take a look.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I can see this interview is still relevant, if you haven't seen it take a look.
And how is this relevant exactly?

Vae_Victis

Banned
Your article is completely unrelated to the topic. Fact is, game has been in development since early-mid 2018, and will launch in late 2022 / early 2023
It's just impossible to draw a release date from a nebulous notion of when "development started".

"Starting development" could mean your studio is fully active, staffed, organized, experienced, has the engine they need and know how to use it, knows exactly what they want to do and completely dedicate to that until they are done.

It could also mean you have a bunch of people doing concept tests, coming up with different ideas that need to be explored and greenlit by the publisher, and even once that is decided upon they still lack key people to work at full speed on the game proper, or need to adapt the engine, or a million other things that will slow things down.

This is to completely gloss over the fact that serious issues can always arise even once development is fully going, which at best can set back release by 6-12 months, and at worst can force the team to scrap huge chunks of their original plan, go back to the drawing board and try to start anew while salvaging what they can from the work they already done.

Considering this is effectively a new studio (not in the name, but in terms of working synergy) that seems to also have taken its sweet time to put together a full team, end of 2022 is an INCREDIBLY wishful timing, unless what they are working on is an AA game which is more limited in game systems and amount of content. If it is a GaaS they could launch around that time with a basic shell, but it would be a Sea of Thieves situation where they had almost no actual content playable for several months.

JonnyMP3

Nah the sci fi game was in production and GoW was in pre-production. When the sci fi game shut down Cory got a bunch of people added to his team that he didn't need yet because the game wasn't in full production. Sony never threatened to shut down SSM, they had literally just moved into a huge new office.
So I guess I didn't remember right then. So it wasn't 3 prototypes and 100 million is probably rubbish but cancelling a project is never good, because that means money has been wasted and won't be recouped.

chilichote

I'm trying to save up for a Sony a6600 but given my Sportswear clothing brand business has come to a halt with sales from COVID-19 it makes it difficult too. I had to settle on a Canon PowerShot SX540 HS which was on sale from AUS$519 to AUS$257
I also considered a 6500 or 6600, but the fact that the viewfinder is not in line with the lens somehow bothers me. So I'm still waiting for an "A5" or something, so an APSC-sensor in the housing of an A7 - that would be my dreamcam^^

Rea

Xbox Series X has a faster CPU and Ram, so there goes your analogy.
I wouldn't call it xsex faster ram. Yes, its faster for 10gb but slower for 6gb than ps5. Ps5 has all 16 gb same speed. Overall, ram speed is about the same. Ps5 has 100mhz slower but I/O operations are completely offloaded, thus reducing cpu overhead. I have a strong feeling ps5 cpu will outperform Xsex' cpu but I maybe wrong.

zaitsu

Banned
I wouldn't call it xsex faster ram. Yes, its faster for 10gb but slower for 6gb than ps5. Ps5 has all 16 gb same speed. Overall, ram speed is about the same. Ps5 has 100mhz slower but I/O operations are completely offloaded, thus reducing cpu overhead. I have a strong feeling ps5 cpu will outperform Xsex' cpu but I maybe wrong.
I would put my money on PS5 having advantage in CPU and RAM department. Not by much of course.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A7SIII will do 4K@120FPS & will be announced tomorrow

SonyA7sIII-3-Kopie.jpg

That would be a dream if it was true, even if not 10-bit at that framerates. Only waiting for the official news! Would get one ASAP! And for 8K, it's still not 100% true 8K when you're using full frame, as that is only capable of true 6K then you need a larger sensor. Like IMAX is 12K max for 1:1 ratio. 6K option would be great as well, and please without the Canon R5 heating problems and outdoors/temperature limitations as I'm not gonna pet my camera.

saintjules

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I strongly doubt the photo is edited, those plates are definitely real and there.

If the pictures were taken in a Sony factory, or some dude 3D-printed them in his basement workshop, of course I can't tell :messenger_grinning_squinting:

LOL! Looking at the work desk with power outlets that person has, I wish I had their basement and/or 3D printer! :messenger_beaming:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thanks to all.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

It is known (and criticized) that DF has had exclusive access to Project Scorpio in the past. I think it was 2017 (I can be wrong). And travel and subsistence have been paid. Which sparked protests and accusations. But that is not a novelty. 10 years ago there was already a scandal related to DF and MS. It is an open secret ... DF lacks competition. It is clear that some pay better than others. You just have to look a little.

Yup, it amazes me that no one decided to step in and compete with them, and further proves that most of those tech-wannabe-gurus know shit about tech. I respect Richard even if he's biased, he tries to keep it as professional as possible, John is neutral, Alex is just rotten.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've been wanting a full frame for years, did photography for 4 years at college. Been doing at as hobby ever since. I dont do it for money just as something to do. But I've only got the 1 lens I cant afford to blast the cash on expensive glass. It would eat away my PS5 money 🤣

Yup, if doesn't pay you back, or you don't have any plans to make it profitable, most budget cameras and even some great phones like Sony Xperia 1 II can serve like a wonderful budget-friendly alternatives. I'm currently using the cheap Osmo Pocket and this camera is crazy for its price (4K@60fps, 1080p@120fps)! 360 5.7K cameras are wonderful as well but I think you need a decent PC to process that, but it's funny that iPad Pro 2020 can do most of that pretty well.

Be smart ;) And if you waste your money, don't regret it, just appreciate what you have/had with it. :messenger_winking:

Razzy-

That game, the shit out of it I'd play. Mmm.

I would too... wait what??

And Singapore is one of the world's pinnacles of modernity! Many of my friends visited your lovely country! I went to Malaysia, and I love it, next time I should visit both! And my offer is open, not limited time like EA's smart delivery. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Hit me up if you are visiting. i'll bring you around for sights, food and drinks. :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Didn't know we had one

It's still shy, would love more people to participate, most of them are levels ahead of me:

Apparently this is the source.

Looks legit. There are 3 of the covers for disc side on one of the tables and it would hard to produce just a fake one in a 3D printer let alone 3.

I think these will be interchangeable like many had guessed and Sony will be producing official alternatives. I bet non-official ones will follow with reverse-molding and going by many PS4 Pro covers on eBay, they will fit perfectly, making PS5 consoles extremely customizable. That is a good thing but for me white is just perfect.

Imtjnotu

It's still shy, would love more people to participate, most of them are levels ahead of me:

I'll post some later if I can figure out where to host the images

onQ123

That would be a dream if it was true, even if not 10-bit at that framerates. Only waiting for the official news! Would get one ASAP! And for 8K, it's still not 100% true 8K when you're using full frame, as that is only capable of true 6K then you need a larger sensor. Like IMAX is 12K max for 1:1 ratio. 6K option would be great as well, and please without the Canon R5 heating problems and outdoors/temperature limitations as I'm not gonna pet my camera.

The A7SIII will only be 4K but it's 120FPS.

Neo Blaster

This conference was also going to show everybody what true next gen is and how a "cross gen" game like Halo Infinite is going to blow every one of Sony's showcase games out of the water. For months it was "Just you WAIT™ until July event". Now its just you WAIT™ for the RT patch on release. The crow soup is too good LMAO.
Looks like 'The Waiting Game' is the new flagship for XSX. I wouldn't say it's exclusive because Sony have a game called 'Soon'.

Razzy-

I saw the sinkhole video from youtube. You're gonna bring the xbox fans there huh? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyone know the dimensions on that piece of paper, or the workbench? Those are the only things in the picture that might be standardized. The first image would be enough to calculate the dimensions, since we can get length x width of both, relative to a verified curved sideplate.

If it's A4, then the piece is narrower than the width of the PS4pro, but about 1.3x the depth. If.

FeiRR

Banned
Anyone know the dimensions on that piece of paper, or the workbench? Those are the only things in the picture that might be standardized. The first image would be enough to calculate the dimensions, since we can get length x width of both, relative to a verified curved sideplate.
A4 standard paper is 21 x 29.7 cm (8 and 1/4 x 11 and 3/4 inches)
Edit: my very rough estimate of the piece of plastic in the first photo would be 42 x 27 cm.

Last edited:

Entroyp

And Singapore is one of the world's pinnacles of modernity! Many of my friends visited your lovely country! I went to Malaysia, and I love it, next time I should visit both! And my offer is open, not limited time like EA's smart delivery. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Oh man I lived in Malaysia and used to travel to Singapore a lot. That was one of the best years of my life. The food was awesome and I actually loved Durian lol

Sorry for the derail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom