• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

roops67

I agree with him landing on his feet, i am happy he is ok and thriving, bit like wild cactus really.

But to say it's a good thing he is here on this forum right at this moment, that's a bridge too fucking far.
Have some respect for others around here, we have families.

yewles1 yewles1 love you really and you know it you short(prick)
Yes sircaw what would we ever do without you stinking up every post you touch with your FINesse ... oh wait it should be FISHINESS :messenger_ok:

What has Sony showed running on PS5 that was proven or implied not to be realtime?
IllinformedSpecificKakarikis-max-1mb.gif

Just kidding.

I think he's making a reference to the cinematics in Kena.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Yer way to go John.
The year has already been a total shitfest, i know whats a good idea, lets delay consoles another year on top of the total disaster this year has already been..

One of the few things a lot of people have been looking forward to, lets take that way too.

Normally like your stuff John, but that's an arsehole comment.

If you are feeling stressed get the fuck of twitter, you TWIT.
I can understand John's feelings, but I definitely want next gen at the end of this damn f***ing year, we deserve it. The pandemic made info disclosure too sparse, and FUD thrives when shills and fanboys don't have enough facts to discuss.

JonnyMP3

Not even close, it's still extremely easy to notice how blocky games are. rocks are still made of square, curves are still steps.

The UE5 demo dpecifically showcased how much better things can be if you're eyes still haven't adjusted
I'm not saying that more polygons aren't a good thing, because more triangles will increase detail but that higher poly count stuff isn't as big a deal these days compared to the shaders. Even with the Unreal 5 demo, the talk about lighting and shading and bringing stuff in from Z brush that the geometry program will sort out in the engine. Doing polygons is easy because it's just vertices... Shading the fuckers is the hard bit.

Neo Blaster

John does amazing retro videos, but to me he sometimes comes off as a snow flake. Can't handle criticism or debate. Although some console warriors can be brutal to be fair to him.
Yes, he doesn't seem to cope with social media very well, judging by this tweet and he backing off GAF. Anyways, this is a crappy year and there's crap all over the internet, don't take my next gen away, we need it ASAP.

Well, suffice to say that Microsoft has made a great many stumbles thus far.

Cory likes to troll, but it could be Sony finally feels like they don't need to wait on them anymore.

At best, Microsoft could counter on price(undercut/Series S), but if the rumors are true about the exclusivity and counting Sony's current market dominance, it may not matter that much.

Money is still on him trolling, though. Shall have to see if any other prominent parties start teasing on social media.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
John does amazing retro videos, but to me he sometimes comes off as a snow flake. Can't handle criticism or debate. Although some console warriors can be brutal to be fair to him.
John has severe depression issues. He can handle debate, but personal criticism is tough for anyone, let alone people suffering from depression. I do think he needs to stay away from twitter and era.

ToadMan

Tbh i want to know the truth, because its possible that even if PS5 is easiest console ever to learn its still need time to do it in compare to XSX being nothing more than XOX 2.0.

Well there is some Smartshift out there “in the wild” - the Dell G5.

In benchmarking of it with smartshift enabled, sure enough it outperformed it’s hardware specs (it’s got a good cpu but a pretty average gpu).

Oh, and the benchmarking apps were just the usual stuff - the whole point of smart shift is the devs don’t have to do anything special to make use of it.

https://www.theverge.com/21328344/dell-g5-15-se-review-2020-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen

Last edited:
Yup. We've gone well past the point of 'Polygon Count' and now it's gonna be all about the quality of textures, shaders and lighting for this generation.

How much higher quality and fidelity of assets and shader algorithms can we achieve than previously before.

Indeed.

For each new generation, it becomes harder and harder to be impressed, but PS5 particularly is already showing some stuff that my mind cant comprehend If its even possible to go beyond, like Mile's and Aloy's ears for example.

Lethal01

In benchmarking of it with smartshift enabled, sure enough it outperformed it’s hardware specs (it’s got a good cpu but a pretty average gpu).

Oh, and the benchmarking apps were just the usual stuff - the whole point of smart shift is the devs don’t have to do anything special to make use of it.

https://www.theverge.com/21328344/dell-g5-15-se-review-2020-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen

I don't think it will be an issue but I also think that you always need to wait until it's actually been widely tested to make claims.

It could cause some weird unforseen issues.

dimaveshkin

You are not looking properly.. you can see effects being reflected in the bottom side of his harm in the reflected image.. is just more difficult to see because image composition color and resolution..
I am trying hard to see it, but i can't. His hand start as normal and become very bright at the end, while in the reflection i can't see any transition. We need more shots, i guess.

Last edited:
My pleasure, glad you found it worth reading. I hope your right about PS5's hardware being a return to form and imbued with CELL-like attributes. I'm likely the only member on this site who wishes CELL hadn't been entirely passed up for PS4, as there was certainly a role for it. After all, it was designed to be (among other things) a back-end accelerator for x86 CPUs and a front-end accelerator for GPUs...

ibm-systems-technology-group-12-l.jpg

spe-extends-general-systems-l.jpg

using-the-rsx-with-the-spus-l.jpg

what-to-do-on-spu-l.jpg

Kutaragi left no stone unturned when overseeing CELL's development. Would've loved to see how the cancelled 'Quad Cell/B.E.' (PowerXCell 32iv was IBM's version) in a base PS4 would've been used to improve the quality of games...

First-party content in 4K at 60fps instead of 2K at 30 fps and PS VR content in 2K at greater than 60 fps per eye?...

Enhancement of PS1, 2 and 3 games to 4K? A select number of them patched to support PS VR where applicable?...

Man, what could've been.

I think the problem Sony faced is that the development costs would have increased dramatically while diverging too far from the general computing space. And then you can end up with redundant functionality (GPGPU + SPEs), or you increase development costs even more making your own GPU architecture. So many risks, especially when it is critical to manage costs.

The path they took leverages AMD’s innovations with CPU-GPU integration, and they can cost share some of development like what may have happened with asynchronous compute.

Still, I agree that a scaled up Broadband Engine probably would have been quite a computer to behold, and might have been possible if structural issues with the global economy were addressed decades ago...anyway, another discussion for another time.

ksdixon

Let's not pretend their aren't tons of people just being straight pieces of shit.

Their's a difference between "you're wrong about the impact of this tech" and "go fuck yourself

Admittedly I didn't see the thread where he left GAF. I just meant that DF seem biased towards MS and it interfers with their supposed neutral standing as a comparison site/dilutes people's faith in their messages.

Well don't be overtly biased then? If people see shit they're gonna call you on your shit.
But John isn't biased? I thought that was the consensus here
I don't think John is biassed in any way but that doesn't mean everyone thinks the same.

John can make mistake as any person, probably if you talk about CRT vs LED then you
wake up his dark side :goog_sneaky:

Kerlurk

Banned
But John isn't biased? I thought that was the consensus here

He never sounded bias to me.

The guy is under a microscope by so many.

If John can't handle the toxicity of twitter, then he certainly should get off it. I refuse to read anymore on Twitter. What a vile horrible platform. I worry about the human race because of twitter.

Or he should limit twitter to work related postings, don't respond to questions, and leave all personal opinions off of it.

Last edited:

yewles1

"The CPU and GPU each have a power budget, of course the GPU power budget is the larger of the two. If the CPU doesn't use its power budget - for example, if it is capped at 3.5GHz - then the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU. That's what AMD calls SmartShift. There's enough power that both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."

Falc67

Is it that hard to reflect dynamic effects? Missing lightning on hands in the reflection kinda breaks the illusion for me. R&C had similar issues.

I can see yellow electricity being reflected in the window behind him. Is that from his forearms/hands, or does it only show up when it lights up on the enemies torso?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom