• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
as you know i am not a fan of flight sim but its getting rav reviews, i saw some 10/10, you must be happy. its good news for xbox people too. Not sure if it will be as good as the pc version but surely it will still be a high standard.

Xbox fans mark this god damn page, i am being positive about xbox.
need to make up, for the other crap i have pulled. "lollipop_disappointed:

I'm going to give it a go on my home build PC from 2013 to see how low I have to get the settings to even run it. Should be fun.

I'll get an XSX in a few years when it's lower in price and has more games and play it then. I'd build a new PC, but my I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford both it and divorce costs if I tried.

as you know i am not a fan of flight sim but its getting rav reviews, i saw some 10/10, you must be happy. its good news for xbox people too. Not sure if it will be as good as the pc version but surely it will still be a high standard.

Xbox fans mark this god damn page, i am being positive about xbox.
need to make up, for the other crap i have pulled. "lollipop_disappointed:
dude, there is no way in hell you can make up for all your "other crap" :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming: :messenger_beaming:

sircaw

Banned
I'm going to give it a go on my home build PC from 2013 to see how low I have to get the settings to even run it. Should be fun.

I'll get an XSX in a few years when it's lower in price and has more games and play it then. I'd build a new PC, but my I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford both it and divorce costs if I tried.

If you give it a go on your old pc, fly an old crop duster first, at leat that way, you can get that authentic feel to it. :messenger_grinning:

Aceofspades

Banned
Do you remember ps3, because i will tell a little story ...

Nintendo: we need an APU.
NVidia: we have a perfect one here, we spent a few million dollars in research, but the cellphone manufacturers simply preferred to use Snapdragon ...
Nintendo: ok how much does it cost? NVidia: $ 150
Nintendo: paid 80
Nvidia: done!

Correction on your Nintendo story:

Nintendo: we need an APU.
NVidia: we have a perfect one here, we spent a few million dollars in research, but the cellphone manufacturers simply preferred to use Snapdragon ... Its called Tegra X2
Nintendo: ok how much does it cost?

NVidia: $ 150
Nintendo: That's too expensive!
Nvidia: then take the older outdated Tegra X1 for $80 and fuck off!
Nintendo: OK :(

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
So about MS pricing, some hints :
1. Monster energy drink promo suggests that XSX is 539$ + 60$ Halo or 599$ with free Halo
2. Xbox one S stays as 299$ console

so XSS is 399$ console an by that i think that XSX is at least 549$

So sony has two strategies :

to undercut with 499$ and 399$ for DE, or not undercut and go with 599$ and 499$.

sircaw

Banned
1. Monster energy drink promo suggests that XSX is 539$ + 60$ Halo or 599$ with free Halo

to undercut with 499$ and 399$ for DE, or not undercut and go with 599$ and 499$.

I am wondering if Halo would have been 60 bucks at launch. I mean, is it not meant to be released in installments, like chapters, i would of been major pissed of having to pay 60, 60 60 and so on.

did destiny do the same thing>?

Sinthor

Gold Member
I am wondering if Halo would have been 60 bucks at launch. I mean, is it not meant to be released in installments, like chapters, i would of been major pissed of having to pay 60, 60 60 and so on.

did destiny do the same thing>?

I assume that if they do this it will be $60 and you'll get the additional installments for "free" as they are released. Or perhaps they would do $60 for the base game and a certain number of upgrades but for $80 you get ALL of them as available? From the comment about Halo Infinite lasting 10 years, I assume it will become a game with multiple paid add-ons over the years. Maybe a new game will effectively be a DLC pack? Seems the way they're going, at any rate.

sircaw

Banned
I assume that if they do this it will be $60 and you'll get the additional installments for "free" as they are released. Or perhaps they would do $60 for the base game and a certain number of upgrades but for $80 you get ALL of them as available? From the comment about Halo Infinite lasting 10 years, I assume it will become a game with multiple paid add-ons over the years. Maybe a new game will effectively be a DLC pack? Seems the way they're going, at any rate.

silly question, i don't play Halo, is there micro-transactions in the game?

Weren't they 30fps on the 360? (Campaigns).
both the campaings and multiplayer, yes.
going to 60hz was the most requested feature by the fanbase, and for a very good reason.
halo 5 really plays excellently. it would be such a big backstep to go back to 30 that I don't even know who would consider it
NOT halo players though, that's for sure!

Then what an already crippled shooter needs is to double the framerate? Because that's what MS is saying with that 120fps PR.
only a fool would call it "already crippled"
try to not be so extremely opinionated for stuff you have really no clue about

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Start saving ladies and gents, on basis of hot chips presentation so far, these consoles are going to be expensive. No wonder, neither Sony or MS want to be the first to break the bad news. Almost certain 1/2 SKUs will be above $500+
tenor.gif

Neo Blaster

Sorry, I didn't know it wasn't delayed cause it looked like crap, that's a reli...oh, wait!!

Try not to be so triggered, we've been watching what's happening in the last weeks. And to know MS already promised 120fps considering how the game is going on 60fps is even worse.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yes, it is. But theyve been cross marketing with PlayStation for a while now.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 !!!!!!! What have the birdies been singing in the War zone? Sweet notes or is everything off key??

And yeah sorry didn't get to line up our schedules this past weekend to play with the Bird.

We have spoken just rumors he does seem to think we get "something" near the end of this month.

I havent followed up with him though still kind of unplugged for a bit checked in and saw Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem had returned and that was post worthy to me :)

so, "fixing" it by halving the frame rate ....yeah, right.
maybe if NXGamer NXGamer played games more, then he would have better clairvoyance on what a shooter needs
giphy.gif

He explain its points, sorry but the framerate didn't make a Halo 5 the best Halo.

One of the reasons is try to optimize a game in a machine which so "particular" hardware make you do many comprises which can affect your
game in general (your budget for example suffers).

Probably if you encode more than play games you will have to understand why sometimes is necessary resign to some things.

In his opinion is he also right Halo was never a 60 FPS until 5 and even before has some the best tiles of the lasts generations.

Last edited:

I'd be really surprised if Sony when with anything above $399 for the PS5 DE. That price is too important to them. They will take a hit to reach it. They may even offset it with a higher Full-fat price (since that's the machine that people will pay a premium to get).

Mind you, $399 is a damn good price for a next gen console.

icerock

This ML stuff is fascinating, they are talking about 3-10 times acceleration through hardware rather than straight up GPU calculations. With resolution scaling being such a big thing, looks like they have their own version of something akin to DLSS.

MS went deep on their GPU, not only the sheer size but the customization on it. Gonna be one expensive boy.

sircaw

Banned
And yeah sorry didn't get to line up our schedules this past weekend to play with the Bird.

We have spoken just rumors he does seem to think we get "something" near the end of this month.

I havent followed up with him though still kind of unplugged for a bit checked in and saw Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem had returned and that was post worthy to me :)

you never check in with me.

AND I am your number one fan. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

both the campaings and multiplayer, yes.
going to 60hz was the most requested feature by the fanbase, and for a very good reason.
halo 5 really plays excellently. it would be such a big backstep to go back to 30 that I don't even know who would consider it
NOT halo players though, that's for sure!

I wouldn't say crippled. It's just nowhere near the quality levels of the good Halo games.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Start saving ladies and gents, on basis of hot chips presentation so far, these consoles are going to be expensive. No wonder, neither Sony or MS want to be the first to break the bad news. Almost certain 1/2 SKUs will be above $500+

I have 1000 ready to go for ps5 and accessories. The way the money spreads around can be any which way as long as I get the console but it better not be more than 600. I'm pretty sure it'll be 500.

icerock

So, APU is the same size as in X1X, but it will be more expensive. Oh, boy
u6DpdwnZaBFNAYjjjMijVN-650-80.jpg

It was a given, the 7nm node is incredibly expensive, EUV even more so. The size of the die doesn't help the cost either. MS had to cut down on RAM, and go with asymmetrical setup, largely due to cost.

PS5 on the other hand, has saved cost to the extreme by going for a small SoC. But, I've no doubt they are spending a lot more building that 12 channel DMA controller and obviously flash.

Edit: Compared to X1X, SoC, RAM, Storage is a lot more expensive on Series X. Keep in mind X1x BoM was around ~$430. I think SoC in itself will be $50+ dearer, given the fabrication node. Flash is obviously really expensive too. MS would've to eat ~$100+ loss on Series X to hit $499. And, I just don't know if that is feasible, given they'll be eating a lot more than that on Series S, if it has to achieve any success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom