• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaitsu

Banned
No. Is a mistake. I'm not sure. I think between 25-27 but really I don't know.

It was at the end of the month, I expected this week, but since I'm not sure, that's why I ask him if it will be next week.
Oh i see :( So Im back to waiting for anything

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

So, APU is around the same size as in X1X, but it will be more expensive. Oh, boy
u6DpdwnZaBFNAYjjjMijVN-650-80.jpg

499$ is minimum
Going big definitely increased costs a lot, more CUs -> bigger die size -> smaller yields per wafer. Sony saved on die size, but let's see whether it's all gone to the SSD/controller.

saintjules

One thing that’s impressive to me about Series X is, that thing can output 8K video at 60 Hz with FRL HDR10 4:4:4 10 bit RGB (using DSC). That’s fucking crazy that a game console can output that level of video.

Seems like overkill, (but really cool,) but because it’s so strong, now there’s no way we get a “pro” or “x” mid gen upgrade this time. This is like if the Xbox One back in 2013 had launched with the Xbox One X‘s video output capabilities.

Yeah, after seeing the new info, I'd doubt seeing a mid gen refresh for this. Like what could they possibly add to a mid gen refresh with all that's going on in the Series X already? Madness.

DaGwaphics

consoles are gonna be expensive

Who is rich in here, i need a sugar daddy fast.

I am 21, blonde, huge knockers, legs all the way to heaven, a virgin honest, + a nympo. prepared to complete your achievements in spare time

going to advertise on Craigslist, no wait I hate that fucking name.

Aghh nevermind. "lollipop_disappointed:

I'm practicing scenarios in Pay Day 2 now. Shits about to get real.

DaGwaphics

Anyone thinking the price leak was done because this was going to come out?

It's almost as if they are preparing us for the price announcement. Makes be worry about the PS5 btw.

It's possible, they had some bad rumors spreading about possible cheap pricing (their own fans might have inadvertently helped with that a bit :messenger_fearful:) and felt like they needed to squash those.

I've been trying to speak cheap prices into existence for a while, but, honestly, a high price isn't that much of surprise. If MS had a killer price they would've already talked about it. They probably wouldn't focus so much on payment plans either.

Nothing will close the I/O gap, it’s too big of a difference for software techniques (which can also be implemented by the other side) to make it even close.

Makes sense. I've seen some people pushing SFS and other velocity architecture tech and I was wondering if there's been any changes.

It's possible, they had some bad rumors spreading about possible cheap pricing (their own fans might have inadvertently helped with that a bit :messenger_fearful:) and felt like they needed to squash those.

I've been trying to speak cheap prices into existence for a while, but, honestly, a high price isn't that much of surprise. If MS had a killer price they would've already talked about it. They probably wouldn't focus so much on payment plans either.

Definitely remember there was a 399$ rumor floating around. I guess it would have been really bad news if the real price was 200$ over what people were expecting.

I know people keep making a reference to that power/price comment but I think Microsoft was talking about the two SKUs.

Last edited:

icerock

This is the controller going into Series X, it's 4 channel, so I assume, they are either using four 256GiB or two 512GiB NAND flash modules to get to the 1TB storage.

Sony on the other hand are building their custom 12 channel SSD controller, from what I've read on this topic, it's expensive, but then I also remember Sony removing many of the features from a regular SSD controller which are not needed, thanks to tremendous amount of resources they must've poured in R&D. Due to higher speeds, I think they are using more NAND modules in parallel. I guess, twelve 64GiB modules to get to the 768GiB aka 825GB storage.

Now, if any of you have access to this site, https://www.dramexchange.com/ we can hazard a guess at total SSD cost. But, I imagine, it should be slightly on the higher side of PS5.

Oh shit still talking hardware. Was you expecting magical spec bump? The XSX is a suped up 1X. & it cost £600. They will take an L on both XSX & XSS.And Knock £100 of the prices. Ain't shit epic in this box its built similar to last gen boxes with new specs. No exotics. Just a plain Jane.

We know prices.

XSX/PS5= 500
PS5 DE=400
XSS=300

Can we all agree on this shit??

Xbox are taking 100-150 loss between their 2 boxes. There is no way RDNA2 cost less than PS4 pro jaguar lol. (it will go down)
PS are going to break even or make £50-100. (If we go buy £450 Bloomberg BOM) PS different level. Just recognise & respect the G.O.A.T.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Definitely remember there was a 399$ rumor floating around. I guess it would have been really bad news if the real price was 200$ over what people were expecting.

I know people keep making a reference to that power/price comment but I think Microsoft was talking about the two SKUs.

Sadly and likely true. Gone are the good old days where the platform holders tossed the baby with the bathwater to get the price down. Damn Nintendo made them realize they could break even/profit on the razors and still sell the blades.

ToadMan

Makes sense. I've seen some people pushing SFS and other velocity architecture tech and I was wondering if there's been any changes.

Looking at the leaked slides there’s nothing earth shattering.

They do put more meat on the bones of the notional savings on the tech - however those savings will still depend on the runtime scenario so we’re still back to waiting to see some examples.

Still very little detail about direct storage ....
Maybe there will be more In the actual presentation.

zaitsu

Banned
So about MS pricing, some hints :
1. Monster energy drink promo suggests that XSX is 539$ + 60$ Halo or 599$ with free Halo
2. Xbox one S stays as 299$ console

so XSS is 399$ console an by that i think that XSX is at least 549$

So sony has two strategies :

to undercut with 499$ and 399$ for DE, or not undercut and go with 599$ and 499$.
599 XSX, 399 XSS and 299 XOS.
PS5/DE 599/499 probably because there is no need to cut price at launch if MS has nothing to show its strenght right now. 499 and 399 is my wishfull thinking.

DrDamn

Blimey a nice info dump and some sensible discussion, well done chaps! 😊

What is the ray tracing like versus the nVidia RTX cards? Can that be ascertained from these slides?

The TomsHardware article said they were hard to compare as MS have peak performance and nVidia give more of an expected value? Something like that.

Yeah, after seeing the new info, I'd doubt seeing a mid gen refresh for this. Like what could they possibly add to a mid gen refresh with all that's going on in the Series X already? Madness.

I think MS in particular may go for a shortened generation - 5 years not 7 for example. Because of the lower CU count we could see Sony take a PS4 Pro like approach where GPU is doubled up and CPU gets a more modest boost after 3 years.

DaGwaphics

Ain't shit epic in this box its built similar to last gen boxes with new specs. No exotics. Just a plain Jane.

To be fair they seem to have included some nice tech to increase performance of a lot of the new techniques that were not available on the 1X hardware (RT, ML, VRS, SFS, etc.). I'm not sure what more you were expecting.

They didn't talk about the virtualization features outside of that one bullet point. I still think it would be cool if XSX could run two 1S instances at once. I know the server blades can do 4, but it seems like the XSX wouldn't have the RAM to cover that.

Lethal01

Nothing will close the I/O gap, it’s too big of a difference for software techniques (which can also be implemented by the other side) to make it even close.
So after the hot chips XSX data was released.

Has anything been revealed that would close the I/O gap between the two systems?

I'm really curious about this.

We still haven't seen how PS5's PRT compares tom microsoft hardware accelerates SFS which they are claiming will make their system 2.5x better on average.

Ofcourse we can't assume PS5 is worse but they have shown nothing hardware wise to say it's better.

that said Going by the Devs that are praising the PS5 over the Series X I'm expecting they aren't too far off if they are off at all.

Oh shit still talking hardware. Was you expecting magical spec bump? The XSX is a suped up 1X. & it cost £600. They will take an L on both XSX & XSS.And Knock £100 of the prices. Ain't shit epic in this box its built similar to last gen boxes with new specs. No exotics. Just a plain Jane.

We know prices.

XSX/PS5= 500
PS5 DE=400
XSS=300

Can we all agree on this shit??

Xbox are taking 100-150 loss between their 2 boxes. There is no way RDNA2 cost less than PS4 pro jaguar lol. (it will go down)
PS are going to break even or make £50-100. (If we go buy £450 Bloomberg BOM) PS different level. Just recognise & respect the G.O.A.T.

No. We can't agree until they tell us the price.

kyliethicc

This is the controller going into Series X, it's 4 channel, so I assume, they are either using four 256GiB or two 512GiB NAND flash modules to get to the 1TB storage.

Sony on the other hand are building their custom 12 channel SSD controller, from what I've read on this topic, it's expensive, but then I also remember Sony removing many of the features from a regular SSD controller which are not needed, thanks to tremendous amount of resources they must've poured in R&D. Due to higher speeds, I think they are using more NAND modules in parallel. I guess, twelve 64GiB modules to get to the 768GiB aka 825GB storage.

Now, if any of you have access to this site, https://www.dramexchange.com/ we can hazard a guess at total SSD cost. But, I imagine, it should be slightly on the higher side of PS5.
For XSX, they could be using literally any size NAND. They might have just bought 1 TB density chips. Or they could be using 15 or 16 x 512 Gb modules, or anything in between. We still haven’t seen what their SSD even looks like. They hid it from DF when they went hands on, which is always seemed ... odd. We still don’t even know if XSX has 1 TB in decimal or 1 TiB (1024 GiB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom