• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
well we know it isnt if you watched the reveal :messenger_grinning_squinting: , neither are
thats precisely why the comparison holds. both are cutscenes. I purposefully picked the fancier slipstream footage instead of the god awful Halo infinite gameplay demo to keep things nice and balanced.

I couldve been a dick and made this comparison instead.

Playstation 5 cross gen
W5MjoKo.gif

Xbox Series X cross gen
Craig-701x394.jpg

Last edited:
Other Ubisoft games have shown similar issues when running in BC mode on PS5. I think it's just something with their engine.
I do remember a few people including Richard Leadbetter mentioning that the Series X BC “might” allow for more flexibility for developers in terms of optimisation and porting, makes sense since Microsoft have been heavily investing into BC since the Xbox One so there tool set might be more advanced.

BatSu

thats precisely why the comparison holds. both are cutscenes. I purposefully picked the fancier slipstream footage instead of the god awful Halo infinite gameplay demo to keep things nice and balanced.

Playstation 5 cross gen

W5MjoKo.gif

Xbox Series X cross gen
Craig-701x394.jpg

f48Boxe.gif

Dibils2k

Playstation 5 cross gen
W5MjoKo.gif

Xbox Series X cross gen
Craig-701x394.jpg
but... neither are in game so who cares. maybe i missed the point you were making?

are you saying CGI videos have a relation to console power?

you fanboys are weird

JonkyDonk

I do remember a few people including Richard Leadbetter mentioning that the Series X BC “might” allow for more flexibility for developers in terms of optimisation and porting, makes sense since Microsoft have been heavily investing into BC since the Xbox One so there tool set might be more advanced.
That's a seperate matter, I'm just talking about bugs in Ubi games running in BC mode. I think some of the AC games have similar problems as Division 2 here.

But yes, BC works completely differently on Xbox. It's basically like a PC when you upgrade your CPU/GPU and you can change any settings you want to take advantage of the increased power. There is a unified dev kit between X1 and SX, so they can easily patch the game to change anything they want, but on PS5 there is a clear line between last gen and current. The only thing they can do is push the resolution to the maximum cap of the PS4 game, and if the engine allows it they can also unlock the frame-rate.

SlimySnake

but... neither are in game so who cares. maybe i missed the point you were making?

are you saying CGI videos have a relation to console power?

you fanboys are weird
You did miss the point I was making. Pay more attention next time instead of getting triggered at the first sight of a comparison.

and those aren’t cgi trailers. Read up on what cgi is.

kyliethicc

Well the devs of Rocket League confirmed its easier and faster for them to add a 120 Hz mode on Xbox via a patch. They didn't create a next gen version, just patched the game running in BC. They said it would take more time on PS5.

Someone could explain? They really believe we will have DLSS like in consoles without Tensor Cores or equivalent ?

This dude is like MisterXMedia 2.0 of Microsoft/Xbox, I think he still believes the Series X has 2 GPU's or was that the Xbox One? He's been debunked several times and in embarrassing fashion.

Crazy how warriors retweet his stuff thinking his claims are some how credible or legitimate.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Someone could explain? They really believe we will have DLSS like in consoles without Tensor Cores or equivalent ?

That guy is an idiot; but yes you can have DLSS like features w/o tensor cores. There was a version of DLSS for Control that didn't use them, and it still represented an improvement over using those cores for main rendering.

But that was on nVidia chips; not sure how well that would work on these AMD chips. But if they are highly tuned for ML, theoretically dedicating some CU's to DLSS like features could be beneficial.

Last edited:
That guy is an idiot; but yes you can have DLSS like features w/o tensor cores. There was a version of DLSS for Control that didn't use them, and it still represented an improvement over using those cores for main rendering.

But that was on nVidia chips; not sure how well that would work on these AMD chips. But if they are highly tuned for ML, theoretically dedicating some CU's to DLSS like features could be beneficial.

Yes, my text wasn't too good. We can use some shaders to ML.

But these guys really believe in "Xbox Series has Dedicated Hardware for ML"

SlimySnake

I think a pro version is easy to justify

basically, it will just have more enhanced Ray Tracing. I don’t think resolution increase will matter as much as RT.

it’s an easy hardware refresh for the gpu and memory bandwidth only but doesn’t require an entirely new CPU or system design
right but when? if the 7nm shortages last until 2022 that means the 5nm or whatever they use for a die shrink for the pro would have its own shortages.

im with Benji on this. I think this gen will be the longest gen ever. 8-9 years easily. no one seems to be ready for launch. By the time real next gen games come out, it would already be 2024 and 2025 and there is no way they will move on to next next gen after just one game on this gen.

Sony will try to breathe new life into this gen by launching a mid gen refresh around 2024 or 2025. i dont think we are getting one 3 years from now like we did the pro.

right but when? if the 7nm shortages last until 2022 that means the 5nm or whatever they use for a die shrink for the pro would have its own shortages.

im with Benji on this. I think this gen will be the longest gen ever. 8-9 years easily. no one seems to be ready for launch. By the time real next gen games come out, it would already be 2024 and 2025 and there is no way they will move on to next next gen after just one game on this gen.

Sony will try to breathe new life into this gen by launching a mid gen refresh around 2024 or 2025. i dont think we are getting one 3 years from now like we did the pro.

really depends on the targeted node shrink.

5nm may make sense or wait for the next node down.

volumes don’t have to be huge, since it’s a pro version. I expect 4 years from now (mid gen).

I know the PS4 pro got a lot of flack for being underpowered, but Microsoft was too late with the One X. By the time it released Scorpio was like 3 years away. Kind of a waste tbh. Mid gen refreshes need like 4 years to be optimal

Sony should aim for higher end like the X, but make it coincide with the node shrink, don’t wait like MS

The short version is. He’s just a dumbass who has no idea what dlss is and how it works and likes to fabricate stories he pulls out of his ass.
If there was any sort of dedicated chipset for Ml acceleration, MS would be screaming from the rooftops about it. Unfortunately, there isn’t much space in the die to accommodate any sort of dedicated hardware for Ml acceleration.
I’m assuming that Blue either knows that Bc on Xbox is ran through software emulation with specific tweaks, but chooses to disregard it. Or he’s a total numnut who pulls stories out of his ass and tries to pass them as facts. Both conditions lead to the same outcome in this situation. Blue is a moron.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

really depends on the targeted node shrink.

5nm may make sense or wait for the next node down.

volumes don’t have to be huge, since it’s a pro version. I expect 4 years from now (mid gen).

I know the PS4 pro got a lot of flack for being underpowered, but Microsoft was too late with the One X. By the time it released Scorpio was like 3 years away. Kind of a waste tbh. Mid gen refreshes need like 4 years to be optimal

Sony should aim for higher end like the X, but make it coincide with the node shrink, don’t wait like MS
Yeah, as much as I liked playing RDR2 in native 4k on the x, I think Sony had the right idea coming out in 2016. So many amazing games came out that year it was bizarre waiting another full year for the x. IIRC, I played FFXV, The Last Guardian, BF1, Titanfall 2, Horizon, Andromeda, Uncharted Lost Legacy and GT7 in 4k or fake 4k all in a span of a year before the x ever came out.

SlimySnake

It is BC.
So how comes BC games take advantage of the extra tflops and then fall apart when they build an XSX port? The difference is 2 tflops in both the BC mode and in next gen mode. It almost looks like the XSX is really strong in GCN mode, but fails to take advantage of the RDNA IPC gains.

SlimySnake

I was just able to secure my PS5 from the Walmart drop today :messenger_beaming: :messenger_sunglasses: It been one good week, was also able to get my EVGA RTX 3090 :messenger_beaming::messenger_beaming:
how much did you pay for it? i saw them going for $2,150 on microcenter. thats apparently the MSRP now for most AIB cards.

the 3070s are $750 and the the 3080s are $850. The founders edition cards are still only $700 and $1,500 but they are nowhere to be found.

Red-Town

how much did you pay for it? i saw them going for $2,150 on microcenter. thats apparently the MSRP now for most AIB cards.

the 3070s are $750 and the the 3080s are $850. The founders edition cards are still only $700 and $1,500 but they are nowhere to be found.
I got it from Computer Central, around $2200 with tax :messenger_grinning_sweat: I just got that one because I gave up trying to get the 3080 lol

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I got it from Computer Central, around $2200 with tax :messenger_grinning_sweat: I just got that one because I gave up trying to get the 3080 lol
i wont lie, i thought about it too. Those were the only ones that remained in stock for more than a day. The $750 3070s also sat on the shelves for a good 3 days before they all sold out. I think people are so desperate for upgrades they are willing to pay whatever. My 2080 is apparently going for $450-500 on ebay. I was shocked. I was trying to get rid of it for $200 before the 3080 launch. Glad i kept it.

HoofHearted

The short version is. He’s just a dumbass who has no idea what dlss is and how it works and likes to fabricate stories he pulls out of his ass.
If there was any sort of dedicated chipset for Ml acceleration, MS would be screaming from the rooftops about it. Unfortunately, there isn’t much space in the die to accommodate any sort of dedicated hardware for Ml acceleration.
I’m assuming that Blue either knows that Bc on Xbox is ran through software emulation with specific tweaks, but chooses to disregard it. Or he’s a total numnut who pulls stories out of his ass and tries to pass them as facts. Both conditions lead to the same outcome in this situation. Blue is a moron.

MS did reference some sort of ML hardware capabilities during their keynote..

Not sure how relevant it is to the slide(s) noted above however..

From the article:

"In a separate slide titled 'Other tricks', Microsoft confirmed that machine learning inference acceleration hardware is available on the Xbox Series X for 'resolution scaling'. We already knew that the engineers added 'special hardware support' for 8-bit and 4-bit integer operations, which are often enough for inference algorithms, and the Xbox Series X is capable of 9 TOPS for 8-bit integer operations and 97 TOPS for 4-bit integer operations according to the official spec sheet.

This slide however gives us a hint as to the kind of machine learning techniques that may be actually used. The two examples given are resolution scaling, most certainly a DLSS-like technique, and 'character behavior', which seems to be related to Artificial Intelligence. Microsoft says it spent only a 'very small' area of the die on ML acceleration hardware, while it expects a 3-10x performance improvement from it, just like for ray tracing."

assurdum

Banned
Point on the doll where DF touched you.
I used it as example because it's the most notorious. Now see a site declared Xbox sided lead such narrative is a thing but a channel as DF, considered above the parts, ride the wave of the shock or the surprise everytime Xbox performs slightly worse of the ps5, it's completely pointless and feeds just the same persistent narrative. Should take the thing for what is it at the moment and update later the analysys, in case has something of more concrete to share. Not to feed stupid hope.

Last edited:

Red-Town

i wont lie, i thought about it too. Those were the only ones that remained in stock for more than a day. The $750 3070s also sat on the shelves for a good 3 days before they all sold out. I think people are so desperate for upgrades they are willing to pay whatever. My 2080 is apparently going for $450-500 on ebay. I was shocked. I was trying to get rid of it for $200 before the 3080 launch. Glad i kept it.
I’m upgrading from a 5700xt so it’s a big jump for me. Played cyberpunk last night on psycho setting and ohh my. I just sold my 5700xt for $450.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom