• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Sony patents Back Button Attachment for DualSense

The patent does not mention DualSense specifically. But of course this is gonna come to PS5.

It'll be basically exactly the same as DS4 one. $30 or so and 2 back buttons. It'll probably use those charging connectors at the bottom of the DualSense to connect.

Funny cause I see only XSX RT is buggy
season 1 friends GIF

Mr Moose

Funny cause I see only XSX RT is buggy
Both are I think, Series X looks like its freaking out, and PS5 seems too close when the double reflection is showing, it doesn't happen when it moves right and displays one reflection (its more correct/further away). Or at least that's what it looks like to me :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Unless... The brass type reflection is meant to be the one that's closer :pie_thinking:

kyliethicc

Anyone else getting sick of RT?

I just don't think it's worth it considering the cost to performance just for some accurate shadows and reflections.
Ray tracing is cool tech. Call of Duty used it for shadows in Cold War but keeps 60 FPS. Spidey Miles added 60 + RT mode, a compromise, and has the 30 Hz high res RT mode which looks fucking great. And Control's 30RT mode looks great, and we can choose to use 60 instead.

So Spidey was 30 on PS4 and now also 30 on PS5 but it looks much better, and has 60 Hz options. CoD is still 60 but looks better, and they added a 120 Hz mode. Control is a more solid 30 FPS on PS5 with RT than it was on PS4 at 30 without RT, and has a 60 FPS mode.

Seems like a win win for us all.

Ideally, devs will learn to add whatever RT shadows/reflections/etc they can while keeping same frame rate and resolution we're used to (or even higher res), and have more consistent framerates. Hopefully lots of games will offer 2 modes to pick from, too.

Last edited:

saintjules

Sorry guys, I haven't been here lately, any news regarding when Sony will roll out the use of M2 ssd's and which brand will we able to use it?

No news of that yet unfortunately. While a bit unrelated, I'm just hoping they will allow us to see more than one external source drive on the Console.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

It’s not very good if you’re playing with RT on because of input lag.

Control benefits highly from the 60fps mode and you forget about RT pretty soon. Honestly the RT in this game is a tad overrated.

Cyberpunk, Miles, Ratchet all seem to give better use to, maybe because of all the color.

Wish the budget was spent on lighting though, as in my experience with Cyberpunk and watching the U5 demo, GE does more for the moment to moment visual experience and SSR does a good job anyway.
I think GE can do light calculations aswell, but I'm getting that from PS1 Geometry Transformation Engine.

mitchman

Gold Member
It's wonderful, I give it 9/10. Finished all the missions and side missions + DLC. Don't waste your time hesitating. It's a wonderful game with a unique experience, a nice fresh breath for gaming away from your typical zombie.
It looks kindof boring with just all action inside a big building. Is there more to the game than just shooting stuff like this. Exploration, stealth, etc?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It looks kindof boring with just all action inside a big building. Is there more to the game than just shooting stuff like this. Exploration, stealth, etc?

Zero stealth. But the overall idea is intriguing. It has nice exploration as well, nothing deep though but good enough. Try it out, I'm more than sure you'll like it. If you already own PS Plus or GamePass (although it's last gen version only on GP) there is nothing to lose but your precious spare time ;).

mitchman

Gold Member
Zero stealth. But the overall idea is intriguing. It has nice exploration as well, nothing deep though but good enough. Try it out, I'm more than sure you'll like it. If you already own PS Plus or GamePass (although it's last gen version only on GP) there is nothing to lose but your precious spare time ;).
Ok maybe after I'm done with my 3rd play through of CP2077.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It seems to be like this:

PS5

Glass reflection: accurate.
Metal reflection: far.

XSX

Glass reflection: N/A.
Metal reflection: far or glitched away.

PC:

Glass reflection: far.
metal reflection: far.

None of them are accurate.

Ok I just made these now on PS5, seems like the glass reflection is accurate and the metal reflection is indeed far away as stated above:

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190308.png

The metal sheet is around 1" away:

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190225.png

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190126.png

LucasBR

No news of that yet unfortunately. While a bit unrelated, I'm just hoping they will allow us to see more than one external source drive on the Console.
Yeah, force us to use just one brand or just limit the number of external drivers it's not nice.

There were rumors of an announcement about that coming soon, but not really. "Rumors" meh.

Yeah, the console was launched almost 3 months ago, I guess it's about time to start talking about this.

LiquidRex

It seems to be like this:

PS5

Glass reflection: accurate.
Metal reflection: far.

XSX

Glass reflection: N/A.
Metal reflection: far or glitched away.

PC:

Glass reflection: far.
metal reflection: far.

None of them are accurate.

Ok I just made these now on PS5, seems like the glass reflection is accurate and the metal reflection is indeed far away as stated above:

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190308.png

The metal sheet is around 1" away:

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190225.png

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190126.png
What about this example...
84vw9p0.jpg

Left second surface mirror, Right first surface mirror. 👀

The big next-gen issue that everyone is ignoring is where the hell the Official Dual Sense charging stations are! Been out of stock in the UK since launch. Conspiracy? I don't know but I do know I want one.

DJ12

gif.gif

Who thinks that this is correct here? Honest question.

Did Alex say that this is correct?
He's contractually obliged not to mention it.
I'd be more worried if people used the leaked CP2077 code to fix the game better than CDPR themselves. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Give it to the mod scene, the game will be fixed in a couple of weeks lol

Yes there are two surfaces. It's still buggy because in the PS5 version, the reflections are too far apart.
One maybe incorrect settings, fair enough. I don't have a window with brass in the middle to check, as does, erm, no one else.

But seriously? you talk about buggy when your favourite bit of plastic does the above?

Have you no shame?

Last edited:

DJ12

So this proves the PS5 is indeed correct.
Like how can RT be wrong though?
Seriously, I'll like to know if RT can have a path tracing error.
I don't think it proves it right, but it perhaps proves it's not wrong because it doesn't match xbox or pc like certain people believe.

RT can be wrong when it's faked. Just look at the xbox version where she thinks life would be better as a vampire. How anyone could argue that is showing correct RT when it's glitching in such a fashion over another version is beyond me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do not ever be proactive about the matter Sony, let them manipulate the enthusiasts, continue the radio silence, continue to sleep..
Why do they have to? Their first party games do the talking, third parties are pretty much parity and so far more cases perform better, and you can't even find one.

They don't need to play the same PR wargames. Just make shit and sell shit.

Last edited:
gif.gif

Who thinks that this is correct here? Honest question.

Did Alex say that this is correct?
Alex wasn't interested into doing an analysis (like NXGamer has just done). He just wanted to show the scenes where XSX was performing better. That's just a bug for him, but he doesn't seem to care according to some of his comments. Since when one must care about the bugs in a technical analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom