• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another insider ? lol
tenor.gif

Lots of "insiders" popping up.

Are people really so eager to throw their or their friends' careers under the bus, for the sake of a bit of fame on NeoGAF or ResetEra or Twitter?

I really don't think random no-names have a detailed spec-list for anything. And if they do you can bet your ass there are inconsistencies built in to whatever they have to enable leaks to be tracked.

We all need to calm our thirst.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Ok whatever I have very good reasons to believe the 12.4TF / 18GB GDDR6 figure from that last leak is true.
Hey Insane! Is it the leak with Killzone, Resistance and Soccom (if my memory doesn't fail) and lots of cloud related features... the one before the last 4chan leak people been talking about.
Announcement by the end of next week with the PS Meeting 3rd week of February
Are you going to vetting process?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
No like a very good ssd I assume . Literally . This is not like cloud or cell or supercomputer

Ive already posted why it’s not as big a deal as people think.

If this was an old school drive versus SSD drive type situation then it would be no contest. But as it stands, neither machine will be a slouch at all, and neither will take a massive huge lead that’s perceivable in any meaningful way.

I’m sure if you’re a developer with access to only the ps5, you will be sat there like a pig in shit. But the truth is, even if one SSD is half the spec as the other, the difference won’t be anywhere near as dramatic as some people will lead you to believe.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Having no DRAM on your SSD mostly has an influence on writing, not reading. So for loading assets this doesn't have that much of an influence. It actually makes sense that Microsoft went with DRAM-less since it's not a that you use for work. Besides the OS, it only saves games, and maybe some images/videos that you record.

so many experts on memory systems it rivals insiders. :

Controller is low power embedded microchip (arm cpu) with proprietary algorithm which controls and manages nand data while interfacing with the OS over the bus. It can have onbaoard dram; or lacking that, use onboard nand, or system ram to store critical state information—which must stored and available for the arm cpu and its algorithm. It is not for ‘write caching’. This is because the nand array is not static, lba, 1 to 1 address space; they only pretend to be. They are pages on multiple chips across multiple channels, dynamically mapped to address ranges. Storing dynamic critical state information on system ram or on nand adds a bottleneck as dram is order of magnitude faster. So, OS sends request for information, if in controller dram, controller reads address on dram, reads information from nand, and sends information...very fast. If state information is on system ram or nand, controller gets request, must read from system ram or nand to determine location then must read and send information...bottleneck.

Not having dram saves power (good for mobile) and is cheaper(good for consumer grade stuff), not good for perfomance.

LordOfChaos

demons-souls-boss-fight.jpg

Insect like and yellow eyes? :pie_thinking:

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack

ethomaz

Banned
Both DF and Moore's Law is Dead said it will be most likely limited to 250W.
Because it is a console?

The connector specs are over 1000W.

Just the fact it goes directly on house’s electric system already shows it needs to support the 129V10A (1290W) in most countries.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Anybody else here listen to Windows Central? They were talking about Lockhart recently and they very clearly have some info but they were talking about how it might not be a "console" in the traditional sense and something more like a dedicated gaming tablet/surface. It actually makes some sense when you think how games will run for awhile on box Bone series and new series.

welshrat

The 250w restriction could well be due to European law regarding the energy efficiency and power draw of gaming consoles .

May not be anything related to this of course. Personally I think this is a very good thing, as 100M consoles consuming vast amounts of energy isn't a great thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom