• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until proven otherwise, I'll continue to believe that Sony is aiming for that sweet $399 price point again. They had too much success with it this generation and they want people to migrate quickly.

Microsoft can afford to go for $499 because their next-gen strategy doesn't depend on the Series X. That's just one of many entry points into their ecosystem.

Rossco EZ

giphy.gif

🕺

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yes, I think like that too. And if I did receive this mission from my boss: ( http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...yers_from_ps4_to_ps5_at_an_unprecedented_pace ) I think, a lower price is crucial to have success.

A Nextgen CPU + Ultra Fast SSD + The fact that devs are more interested in 1440p/60fps than native 4K corroborates to come with a cheaper GPU. And the very sales of PS4 vs PS4 PRO shows that people still prefer to buy the cheaper system.

Absolutely. 1440p should be the new target res. It looks amazing on 4k sets, and is actually very hard to see the difference between it and 4k. But it frees up a shit ton of resources that could be better uses elsewhere. Its also a hell of a lot sharper than 1080p, and with good reconstruction tech, it would be spot on.

This 4k, 8k rush is just stupid. Its not needed, not yet. I mean, most people I know don't even own a 4k set. I'm one of the few that do.

Until proven otherwise, I'll continue to believe that Sony is aiming for that sweet $399 price point again. They had too much success with it this generation and they want people to migrate quickly.

Microsoft can afford to go for $499 because their next-gen strategy doesn't depend on the Series X. That's just one of many entry points into their ecosystem.
with this mentality PS9 will be $399 in 20 years because sony wants everyone to migrate fast.at some point you increase the price and the time has come

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yes, I think like that too. And if I did receive this mission from my boss: ( http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019...yers_from_ps4_to_ps5_at_an_unprecedented_pace ) I think, a lower price is crucial to have success.

A Nextgen CPU + Ultra Fast SSD + The fact that devs are more interested in 1440p/60fps than native 4K corroborates to come with a cheaper GPU. And the very sales of PS4 vs PS4 PRO shows that people still prefer to buy the cheaper system.
For the pro vs slim it comes down to 3 factors. The pro is a poor value at for the money. The pro was poorly marketed ie hardly marketed. Lastly those jumping in near the end of any generation are very price sensitive. They pick up the market leader during big sales such as black Friday. Its been that way since the PS2 with its huge end of generation sales.

with this mentality PS9 will be $399 in 20 years because sony wants everyone to migrate fast.at some point you increase the price and the time has come

That's quite a logical leap there and I can't say I agree at all. Feeling like $399 could be the price now doesn't mean that I think it'll happen forever on into the future. Especially when four more console generations from now we will be looking at a dramatically different landscape for gaming.

BUT some smart asses claimed this couldn't happen.......

OMG, they were WRONG?

Well let me just reevaluate my life choices based on this new information.

There done, nothing has changed, douches gonna be douches I guess.
this is not remedy the gaming company:messenger_grimmacing_

That's quite a logical leap there and I can't say I agree at all. Feeling like $399 could be the price now doesn't mean that I think it'll happen forever on into the future. Especially when four more console generations from now we will be looking at a dramatically different landscape for gaming.
no one thought sony would make online paid like MS and we know how that turned out. no one thinks sony would follow MS foot step in pricing of their new console.

Sony wants to position PS5 against XSX and 199$ PS4 against lockhart for price sensitive market. especially in the first few years that lockhart and PS4 will play the same games mostly thanks to cross gen and PS4 selling amazing

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I remember when 199.99 and then 299.99 were the number. Things get more expensive to make period. The 399.99 does not go as far as it used to as we saw last generation ugh.

Pantz

Man walks into a dimly lit room, light bleeds across the room from a shoulder mounted communication device. It is the most light in the scene. There is a light mist and sparks spew from a torn electrical wire tossing light and particles around as the man cautiously makes his way across the room. His boots leave prints as he walks across the polished floors the dim light showing his reflection in the floor. The wire behind him cracks and slows as it comes to a stop along with all of the other lights in the room shutting off at the same time. The man covers the device on his shoulder but the light bleeds through his hand. The man pulls a firearm and continues making his way through this large sterile room. A noise behind him and he turns around removing his hand from the device at his shoulder and revealing himself to everyone. The light illuminates the room and a table he had walked past has been knocked over. The table cloth is still slowly settling on the floor along with all of the other things from the table that have been strewn about. Off in the distance a pair of yellow eyes open and fix on the man. (You will know who he is but I cannot say) he raises his fire arm and fires off several shots. The flash from the gun illuminating the darkness as the creature reels then attacks. Another set of eyes opens as it runs across the room at him. You can see the impact of the weapon punching holes in this thing as it makes its way across the room. The man backpedals and falls down (Monster is right on top of him at this point) over something as he is trying to get away. He fires off a few more shots while on his back and scampers to his feet. The monster still chasing he makes his way into the next room and slams the door behind him. You hear a series of clicks and other weird noises coming through the door. The man leans up against it and you hear a deep inhalation come from the other side of the door like the creature is sniffing around for his scent. The man is breathing heavily and removes one hand from the door and clutches his side, blood is running down his side and his pant leg and pooling under the door. Last shot is the creature kneeling on the other side of the door putting one hand to the blood (creature has four arms) then smelling it. "I have found you." He almost sings the words then the title screen shows and that's it.

Lets see if anyone else can get this detailed. It is the best looking anything that I have ever seen and the character models lighting and physics are on another level. The main character is impossible to confuse with anyone else and this game has not been revealed but I have hinted at it several times. This is not a cut scene or a render target it is actual game play and it is very impressive. Well the end is a cut scene but man ..... You literally cannot tell the difference and Yes

This was definitely all one shot.

Edited to add: I was just given the go ahead to post this and it is from an early vertical slice that I did get to see.
And before anyone asks No I cannot describe what the man is wearing because it would be a dead giveaway.
Shoulder device , creature with yellow eyes

Clearly it's Chris Redfield

2bazcq0vxmry.jpg

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I remember when 199.99 and then 299.99 were the number. Things get more expensive to make period. The 399.99 does not go as far as it used to as we saw last generation ugh.

Crazy isn't it. Had the convo in December with the wife about what to do about saving for these, holiday away again, or the consoles. She wants to do the consoles and a holiday here, which is cool. But back in the day, money went further. I'm only 35, but I vividly remember my mum in tears with my dad, because they wanted to buy a house but couldn't afford it and it would be too hard to pay the repayments. The house they wanted? A stupidly huge detached five bedroom two bathroom... For £32,000.

Things change... A lot.

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

Kobi

Yeah, ~9tf, 1tb ssd, 16+GB ram. If you're super lucky, it might come in at $399 - and this is for both consoles.

But if you think the ps5 for example will have 13+tf, 2tb ssd and 18-24gb ram. Lul. You'll be looking at closer to $699. Especially with Sony's super fast ssd. Sounds like they have been more focused on the ssd than the power.

Even the Xbox with the slower ssd and 12tf should be sitting around $599

splattered

*ahem*

Oh wow hahaha sorry totally missed this!

Yeah it would essentially make it a PC but but consoles are pcs now anyway.

I wouldn't be against the idea.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I believe that consoles will have models and annual reviews from this new generation, in the same style as smartphones.
Not happening new models only make sense if a new foundry process is in production argue 2 and mature and that could be a while since the maturing part. A cellphone chip is small and can be on bleeding edge of a node process a console has a big ass apu and needs a very mature process to be made for good yields.

Gediminas

Banned

Cerny words means nothing? who is he, yes? he is like bottom feeder who knows nothing, right? :D

DaGwaphics

I believe that consoles will have models and annual reviews from this new generation, in the same style as smartphones.

Possible. Very unprofitable model if that happens. Smartphones are sold at huge profit margins and can be subsidized by carriers to hide costs from consumers. Contrast that to the near breakeven pricing of consoles and it gets difficult to justify the R&D costs of developing a steady stream of SOCs. I doubt MS or Sony made much if any money on the mid-gen refreshes, they didn't move enough units to justify the cost of the R&D. Both would have profited more by just sitting on the cost reduced base models.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
And first person... why?

I wont lie and say that RE7 wasn't good, because it was great.

But the thing is, having a home cooked meal is also great. But it doesn't beat going out and having an expensive meal, RE2 style. I would have thought with RE2 winning eleventy billion awards coupled with how many units it sold, it may have given them a small, tiny idea that maybe, MAYBE, that's what gamers want?

But no fuck you have werewolves lol.

ANIMAL1975

But the enemy it's not a werewolf, and the stalker doesn't fit in Osiris description either: human-insect like, 4 arms, 4 yellow eyes, and can inflict you with a curse!
Other characters with the light device on the shoulder? Silent Hill and Resistance maybe?

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I wont lie and say that RE7 wasn't good, because it was great.

But the thing is, having a home cooked meal is also great. But it doesn't beat going out and having an expensive meal, RE2 style. I would have thought with RE2 winning eleventy billion awards coupled with how many units it sold, it may have given them a small, tiny idea that maybe, MAYBE, that's what gamers want?

But no fuck you have werewolves lol.

I have played all main RE games and most spin-offs but played RE7 demo and didn’t buy the game solely because of the first person view and “dare I say it” lack of action gameplay.

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack talked about (were)wolves right?

He also talked about “Nothing follows” and nothing came out of that.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

A leak that was interpreted of being about the Order ...

Another leak that was interpreted of being about Resident Evil ...

FUUU-SION! HAAAAA!!!

P.S: Osiris said that the protagonist is immediately identifiable. Ethan is the exact opposite of that, considering we have yet to see his face (aside from datamining).

Edit: Hmm ... apparently, Push Square considers nibel a reliable leaker. Though Dusk Golem said that RE8 is years away.

Either they're both right and RE8 will be used as a mere tease about next gen capabilities, or it's not re8 and it's that unnamed re game coming out in 2021. Ethan's own re spin-off game, mayhaps?

Last edited:

Pantz

But it's not a werewolf, and the stalker doesn't fit in the description: human-insect like, 4 arms, 4 yellow eyes, and can inflict you with a curse!
Other characters with the light device on the shoulder? Silent Hill and Resistance maybe?

In the video with the leaks they only call it wolf-like creatures.

In RE a wolf-like creature with 4 arms and yellow eyes that moves insect-like does sound possible.

It would explain why OsirisBlack OsirisBlack would not describe the main character because it would be a giveaway.
It would explain why when asked if it was on PS5 or XSX he replied with "yes". A new Order game doesn't seem like a multiplatform game.

It wouldn't explain why Chris Redfields radio has a bright light on it but they could have added that for cool effect.
It wouldn't explain why he kept hinting at Ready at Dawn.

Just guesses here.

ANIMAL1975

I have played all main RE games and most spin-offs but played RE7 demo and didn’t buy the game solely because of the first person view and “dare I say it” lack of action gameplay.

He also talked about “Nothing follows” and nothing came out of that.
I think the 'nothing follows' post was meant as 'no more hints/leaks until next PS5 oficial news'.

Lone Wolf

In RE a wolf-like creature with 4 arms and yellow eyes that moves insect-like does sound possible.

It would explain why OsirisBlack OsirisBlack would not describe the main character because it would be a giveaway.
It would explain why when asked if it was on PS5 or XSX he replied with "yes". A new Order game doesn't seem like a multiplatform game.

It wouldn't explain why Chris Redfields radio has a bright light on it but they could have added that for cool effect.

Just guesses here.
So none of the leaks point to a new Resistance game I guess. What do I have to do to get another Resistance game?

Just guesses here.

Did he actually say the described game was multiplatform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom