• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fake

that i dont know. that should be the ssd with some cpu. but cant do much with textures in ram if your gpu is too shit to render it. thats why i dont want a 9.2 tflops gpu. with all the destruction, higher npc counts, next gen photorealistic textures that are going to be in next gen games, a 9.2 tflops gpu simply wont be enough to render them at high resolutions. gpus will be doing a LOT more heavy lifting next gen compared to this gen.

all i know is that sony used the last gen ps4 game to show off fast traversal their new ssd allows. there is no way a 12 tflops gpu can render next gen assets that fast.

At least we should prove some cases where specs do matter overall. Some current gen games already use dynamic res and settings in almost everything, aka ID software.
Just the jump could show what really we could get in improvement departament.

Ellery

If there was one piece of information I would be allowed to know for the PS5 it wouldn't be the TF but whether it has full BC throughout PS1 to PS4 (which I heavily doubt. I expect it to be PS4 only) for physical media, because then I could start my PS 1,2,3 games buying spree.

As far as PS4 games go I hope they don't get any stupid ideas of releasing games again for 30-40$ so you can play them on PS5 with better graphics/higher framerate. I mean I don't mind if they are releasing new physical copies of games that were to include an already patched game with the enhancements, but I want them to patch games for free, because it really is not much work and some games do need some improvements here and there.
The one I would love a patch the most for would be Bloodborne, but I have a feeling that FROM Software doesn't care at all about patching old games and just not gonna do it.

MARTYWOLF

Ahk
Well, he’s saying thinking I don’t really agree with, so hope for the future of what they are planning. I again see what he means, but I’m Not sure I agree with his philosophy here. It feels a bit too much atm like they will release this powerful consoles, but nobody will be able to take advantage of it as much as they should.

Im not sure. Maybe it’s just the cliff notes I read on here (I’ve not listened to the actual interview)but it’s the worst sounding thing thus far for me. It did nothing but add more cloud to stuff we needed more solid answers on.

Ahk got ya. I'm not to worried pc games still look fantastic compared to console versions. One could argue consoles hold pc back though. I think if adoption rate is fast they won't be developing on x1 to long. Thing is would xbox one x be able to run Scarlett games at 1080p? (No ray tracing lower fps) that will be interesting to see. We must compare multiplats to 1st party also. I think multiplats are gonna have a rougher idea making multiple versions more so than 1st party

So what do you guys feel about all the youtubers who get there speculated info for PS5 and XSX from right here on this thread? I mean I think I'm going to learn something new and they pass off anything we say here as fact and spew it to the masses. It's pretty unbelievable how they spin things in one day.

Fake

If there was one piece of information I would be allowed to know for the PS5 it wouldn't be the TF but whether it has full BC throughout PS1 to PS4 (which I heavily doubt. I expect it to be PS4 only) for physical media, because then I could start my PS 1,2,3 games buying spree.

As far as PS4 games go I hope they don't get any stupid ideas of releasing games again for 30-40$ so you can play them on PS5 with better graphics/higher framerate. I mean I don't mind if they are releasing new physical copies of games that were to include an already patched game with the enhancements, but I want them to patch games for free, because it really is not much work and some games do need some improvements here and there.
The one I would love a patch the most for would be Bloodborne, but I have a feeling that FROM Software doesn't care at all about patching old games and just not gonna do it.

Is not easy to translate this to dev side. I still very happy with my Kingdom Hearts 1.5 running at full HD at 60fps on PS4, rather than the PS2/PS3 version.
Those types of 'remasters' get a lot more work than an update could do. You not just 'increase' internal resolution or put better frame rate. We get more extras as well.

Now, some companies make good remasters, others no so much, so give this illusion of 'we don't need remaster, just an update and we're fine'. If done proper, is worth the money.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So what do you guys feel about all the youtubers who get there speculated info for PS5 and XSX from right here on this thread? I mean I think I'm going to learn something new and they pass off anything we say here as fact and spew it to the masses. It's pretty unbelievable how they spin things in one day.

It's not like most of the info in this thread is from Reddit. Or the other place. Not the best position to make fun of Youtubers.

Ellery

It is normal for everything. Not just consoles and hardware. There are many youtubers that recycle rumors/leaks on a daily basis and often they spin things or change some words to make it clickbaity.
Many people that watch those videos are not necessarily involved in day to day discussion on message boards and they just consume a video on youtube.

I don't even watch any rumor videos on Youtube for the exact reason that I already know what they are going to talk about, because I have heard it before

I've noticed that as well and it drives me crazy, not only Youtubers but gaming sites using NeoGAF comments as fact, I saw something on my news feed thinking it was something new and they were literally regurgitating what we have been talking about in this thread...which is all speculative!!!

It is normal for everything. Not just consoles and hardware. There are many youtubers that recycle rumors/leaks on a daily basis and often they spin things or change some words to make it clickbaity.
Many people that watch those videos are not necessarily involved in day to day discussion on message boards and they just consume a video on youtube.

I don't even watch any rumor videos on Youtube for the exact reason that I already know what they are going to talk about, because I have heard it before
Gotcha, I'm so new to all of this so it was a question. Appreciate the reply. Yeah I guess I'm surprised by it because I thought before this forum that they really had some super special insider info. I respect their hustle however. It's just crazy that all it takes for "most not all" broadcasters is too come here and make a story.

Ellery

Is not easy to translate this to dev side. I still very happy with my Kingdom Hearts 1.5 running at full HD at 60fps on PS4, rather than the PS2/PS3 version.
Those types of 'remasters' get a lot more work than an update could do. You not just 'increase' internal resolution or put better frame rate. We get more extras as well.

Now, some companies make good remasters, others no so much, so give this illusion of 'we don't need remaster, just an update and we're fine'. If done proper, is worth the money.

I mean sure if they increase resolution to 4K + HDR + RayTracing and have it running at 60fps and actually put a lot of work in it then I see it taking time and maybe being worth a few extra bucks for it, but just a normal patch to make games run at a higher resolution is an easy job.

The line between Remake and Remasters isn't that clear anymore. Some games are somewhere inbetween. There could be a market. I don't know hard to say. Maybe I could see myself buying some Remastered PS4 games that I have never played and don't own, but they would need to be extremely reasonably priced, because otherwise I just buy the PS4 version used for 5-10$.

I am definitely not going to buy a 60$ Uncharted 4 or God of War that had 1 person working on making it run at higher resolution + framerate on the PS5.

GermanZepp

The other day i search "PS5" in youtube, and the results are 99.9% hot garbage. Hideous characters, mediocre content, clickbait and fanboys. Not recommended.

Fake

I mean sure if they increase resolution to 4K + HDR + RayTracing and have it running at 60fps and actually put a lot of work in it then I see it taking time and maybe being worth a few extra bucks for it, but just a normal patch to make games run at a higher resolution is an easy job.

The line between Remake and Remasters isn't that clear anymore. Some games are somewhere inbetween. There could be a market. I don't know hard to say. Maybe I could see myself buying some Remastered PS4 games that I have never played and don't own, but they would need to be extremely reasonably priced, because otherwise I just buy the PS4 version used for 5-10$.

I am definitely not going to buy a 60$ Uncharted 4 or God of War that had 1 person working on making it run at higher resolution + framerate on the PS5.

Again, we're mere mortals talking as we are devs. They do those things for live. Add things like 4K, high quality texture, HDR, etc.. IS NOT A EASY TASK.
Take the CD Projekt as example. Microsoft pay them to add support for both PRO and Xbox One X. Those things take lot of time and effort. Could you imagine CD Projekt asking money to add support for a patch?

Besides, bad code/engine are a common problem. If you think Bloodborne will run like a dream on PS5 is better think again. Just a redone/proper remaster could archieve such a better game.

Just like... IDK, Dark Souls? Durante spend years trying to figure out the infamouns Dark Souls for PC, while the company make a decent remaster of the same game on pc.

I've noticed that as well and it drives me crazy, not only Youtubers but gaming sites using NeoGAF comments as fact, I saw something on my news feed thinking it was something new and they were literally regurgitating what we have been talking about in this thread...which is all speculative!!!

GAF is the best website about videogames.

Last edited:
Again, we're mere mortals talking as we are devs. They do those things for live. Add things like 4K, high quality texture, HDR, etc.. IS NOT A EASY TASK.
Take the CD Projekt as example. Microsoft pay them to add support for both PRO and Xbox One X. Those things take lot of time and effort. Could you imagine CD Projekt asking money to add support for a patch?

Besides, bad code/engine are a common problem. If you think Bloodborne will run like a dream on PS5 is better think again. Just a redone/proper remaster could archieve such a better game.

Just like... IDK, Dark Souls? Durante spend years trying to figure out the infamouns Dark Souls for PC, while the company make a decent remaster of the same game on pc.

I have no idea how games are developed but if games are downscaled to play on PS4 and XONE consoles, shouldn't they have the original source to be able to port the game easier? My memory is a bit fudged but I remember Naughty Dog saying something like that, saying that their engine allows it.

Thought worth sharing. Implies there's a chance some compute-orientated features might've been added to XSX (while responding in part to a leaked rumor suggesting its CPU was Vega-based).

I think both systems will have some customization on the CPU side for compute-orientated tasks, but probably in small amounts. Seems fair to assume or at least speculate as being probable.

Fake

I have no idea how games are developed but if games are downscaled to play on PS4 and XONE consoles, shouldn't they have the original source to be able to port the game easier? My memory is a bit fudged but I remember Naughty Dog saying something like that, saying that their engine allows it.
If I remember right, Square Enix for example lost the original source (Playstation 2) of Kingdom Hearts 2, so they bought the 1.5 version of PS3 and made the version for PS4.
Vary between the company if they still have plans of re-using old games.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Your point is exactly why I think these companies will begin to charge for 4K60+RT upgrades, there's so much they pay for developers' effort before it gets too costly.

Fake

Your point is exactly why I think these companies will begin to charge for 4K60+RT upgrades, there's so much they pay for developers' effort before it gets too costly.
I understand people not agree with that, but again, for me if the remaster/update was worth I pretty OK depending on the money they want to ask.

Another good example: Red Dead Redemption 2. Refuse to pay for that kind of fake HDR implementation with for that time could damage your TV. Those kinds of shit effort I prefer to stay far alway.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I understand people not agree with that, but again, for me if the remaster/update was worth I pretty OK depending on the money they want to ask.

Another good example: Red Dead Redemption 2. Refuse to pay for that kind of fake HDR implementation with for that time could damage your TV. Those kinds of shit effort I prefer to stay far alway.

I know that game's HDR implementation is less than optimal and it looks gorgeous in its own right without it, but can you elaborate on this? Especially the damage part?

Sinthor

Gold Member

I agree on this. Frankly of all the BC's PS2 backwards compatibility would be COOL but not needed. PS4 BC is more than enough for me. I'm just hoping you can use the same disk or at least that the titles you have in your digital library are the ones that will still work.

darkinstinct

Thought worth sharing. Implies there's a chance some compute-orientated features might've been added to XSX (while responding in part to a leaked rumor suggesting its CPU was Vega-based).

I think both systems will have some customization on the CPU side for compute-orientated tasks, but probably in small amounts. Seems fair to assume or at least speculate as being probable.

So who was the idiot that started the GCN rumor again? After Microsoft saying specifically that they are using RDNA?

Dabaus

Banned
Do you guys think if the Corona Virus doesnt dissipate that could delay next gen any? Or is it early enough in the year sony/MS could switch manufacturers?

demigod

Do you guys think if the Corona Virus doesnt dissipate that could delay next gen any? Or is it early enough in the year sony/MS could switch manufacturers?

I don't think so. They probably were already prepared due to the tariffs that Trump might've placed.

darkinstinct

If it has PS1 to 3 BC, it will be both digital and physical. But when that is announced it's too late to go on the shopping spree, 360 BC games increased by 200 % whenever a game was announced. You would have to buy now.

Ellery

If it has PS1 to 3 BC, it will be both digital and physical. But when that is announced it's too late to go on the shopping spree, 360 BC games increased by 200 % whenever a game was announced. You would have to buy now.

Oh don't worry about me. I am one of the very few people who constantly lurk forums and the internet F5ing all day looking for new information and I watch shows live so I consider myself to have a head start anyway and I am not going to buy hundreds of games, but just a handful that I have no access to right now on the PS4 or PC. (Games like the original Resident Evil 1,2,3 for PS1 or the Metal Gear Games)

Durante needed less than 1 day to come up with DSFix for Dark Souls on PC. I am pretty sure about that because I remember playing it on PC when it came out with DSFix and that tool gave me 60fps and high resolution textures with only 1 person working on it for mere hours. It ran like a dream for me.

My realistic expectations are that most don't care and won't release neither a patch nor a remaster for PS4 games. Most games don't even really need it, because they will run like the PS4 Pro versions of the games (this is the way the PS5 BC for PS4 is going to work I expect).

However Sony would be wise to have the PS5 launch with patches being ready for popular PS4 games so the transitional phase is smoother and you have an extra incentive for people to jump right into it.

I would be thrilled if Sony came out and whilst showing the PS5 they talk about how your PS4 games are going to be better on PS5 and then they will include a list of games with improvements from Day1. That would be a huge marketing boost for them (atleast from my perspective).

I agree on this. Frankly of all the BC's PS2 backwards compatibility would be COOL but not needed. PS4 BC is more than enough for me. I'm just hoping you can use the same disk or at least that the titles you have in your digital library are the ones that will still work.

Yeah PS4 is a requirement (and also officially confirmed). They wouldn't have gotten away without PS4 BC on PS5.
People would have been furious (me included) to not being able to have access to the gigantic digital library that people have acquired over the years using PS4.
Sony would have looked like greedy fools if they had tried to pull that off especially in the light of Microsoft having much better BC.

Banned

Microsoft will most likely do some DX12 optimisations like they did with the One X. that much is pretty much to he expected.

I don't know to what degree these APUs can actually be modified tho.

schaft0620

I've been thinking about Insomiac all morning. They keep posting that Resistance art on their Twitter and I'm like, yeah yeah whatever it's some Anniversary.

Besides the VR team, there's a real 2nd team at that studio that did Ratchet and Clank. That came out in 2016. If the entire team was hands on for Spider-Man it's last year, that would line up a Resistance remaster or "re-imagining" for PS5 Launch.

It would be perfect. You launch with that, BluePoints game, Housemarq's game, GodFall. As the exclusives. Add in PS5 patches for big PS4 games. Plus 3rd party.

You could do Horizon Q1 2021 (like Sony loves to do). That game could stand on it's own outside of launch hype but, be right there in March/Feb. Followed by MLB, GT7 (spring/Summer) and Spider-Man 2 in the fall 2021.

Disco_

FWIW: An RTX 2080 is 8.9 TF in normal mode and can boost for shorter periods to 10 TF. So yeah, of course both consoles will have a GPU faster than a 26 months old PC GPU.
What is "normal mode"? NVIDIA boost isn't the same as AMD boost.
If you look at official specs from nvidia, take the boost clock, add another >200mhz, and that's your sustained average clocks. For whatever reason, nvidia does the opposite of AMD and undersells their Tf vs AMD's over inflated number. NVIDIA shows 1710 boost clock and 10tf for 2080 when in reality it sits at >2000mhz and ~12Tf.

Don’t Nvidia calculate their TFs differently from Navi GPUs? And the 2080 is still a ln extremely decent GPU. Better than what we got with the PS4 at it’s time
Yup. AMD advertises max theoretical power while NVIDIA low balls by quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom