• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's also funny because he/she/they/xir/it can't leave at any time because then they would have no power. The mentally ill mods and admins crave power. Having power on a video games internet forum is literally the most important thing in their life.

sad donald trump GIF
Sure she'd have power if she left.

She can drive around town hailing herself as Queen of Highest Car Loan Rate.

Marvel14

Banned
Here I highlight why ResetEra are hypocrites based on the new aquisition.

1. They left NeoGAF due to Evilore being the sole owner and don't agree with his actions (in my opinion it was an overreaction to be honest, meanwhile the previous owner of ResetEra is a known homophobe based on that court order.

2. ResetEra was created on values, no tolerance to racism, minorities and etc. However the new owner MOBA has a umbrella of forums some including Blizzard fan sites that are against ResetEra values and have racist and many other content that doesn't stick to ResetEra values. So basically posting in Era and taking part is making the owner money who and helping the other umbrella of forums that ResetEra is against.

3. Many posters on Era had no idea there was a sole owner and things like Era Clear now look like a complete rip off as many assumed it was to keep the lights on. Any discussion about ownership, finances meta commentary always got locked so you can't blame them for not being aware. And the original mods like Emily who confirmed that was part of the reason they Era didn't even mention that on the way out.

4. So much off topic nonsense from the mods, a poster Seik has highlighted these issues on a nice thread and got locked by mods. Will mods in that website keep doing this. That poster deleted his OT to not contribute to the forum he doesn't agree with, a mod went against that and undid the removal of OTs, which now continue to contribute to the new owner that Seik didn't want but mods have went agains his wishes. If mods like to work for free and don't care about hypocrisy that's fine but why can't mods let posters make a informative thread and then find ways to migrate there communities without getting banned and theads deleted and locked.

If anyone on Era is watching this thread or anyone here has a era account please post this and tag the mods in that thread also make a new thread while you are at it with this information
You forgot the intolerance, prejudice and hatred towards people and opinions different from their own....kinda the complete opposite of what a progressive is supposed to be and the greatest hypocrisy of them all.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm laughing so hard at all the Resetera refugees who come here talking about how they "never liked that place, anyway," "it changed big time," "fearful of posting their actual thoughts." Oh yeah, sure. I believe you all. It wasn't like you were bashing every poster on GAF and celebrating every mod/admin post on Resetera last week.

Please mark these posters with a purple letter.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm laughing so hard at all the Resetera refugees who come here talking about how they "never liked that place, anyway," "it changed big time," "fearful of posting their actual thoughts." Oh yeah, sure. I believe you all. It wasn't like you were bashing every poster on GAF and celebrating every mod/admin post on Resetera last week.

Hey now, forgiveness is a virtue. These people have clearly been punished enough just being under Nepenthe's unapologetically black thumb for so long.

I understand exactly what you're saying but let's not stoop down to their level. After all, it's all about video game discussion so let's laugh at those that go down with the burning ship and welcome the others who come here.

KAL2006

Banned

Not every person is the same fucking person you idiot. If you have proof of an era poster who came back here and bashed NeoGAF then fair enough. You are as bad as some of the folks that paint GAF with the same brush. Some people like me went to Era simply because there was more activity there and just wanted to discuss games. I migrated back here a few years ago. I was banned in both places NeoGAF as well as ResetEra from the leftie loonies.

Gifmaker

Nah, give them a break. We're not doing guilt by association here. If they are willing to return and have a more open-minded approach to discussion, they should be given that chance imho. The bad eggs will make themselves known in no-time anyway.

Last edited:

Raven117

Come now. We aren't them. Maybe they are wiser than they were before....If they do weird sheet not consistent with Gaf, I'm sure the mod team here will handle accordingly.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

The answer is yes. They already consented to allow use of their data when they signed up and changing owners doesn't change that at all. Now they could try to initiate a GDPR take down request if they can prove they are a European citizen/resident, but I would be willing to bet that most wont actually do it AND follow through AND make an official complaint to their local regulator if the data is not removed.

Last edited:

BigBeauford

Wasn't your ass over there too?

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Coolwhhip Coolwhhip had a good idea. We just need a Harry Potter thread every month or so for a couple months.

It's like using a blacklight.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

they will make themselves known and be weeded out over time

Last edited:

xmagxus

Neo Member
To be honest this mobafire company may actually live up to promise of being "hands off" It's quite possible all the mods will stay in place as is and mobafire is simply going to use resetera for passive income from data and ads until they have siphoned the site to its final death.

We'll probably see some UI layout and design changes to fit mobafire as well as an official post in the first week or two from the new owners and then they will retreat into silence as they quietly get information and ad money until the well has dried up.

betrayal

Banned
Since ERA exists, I'm always amazed that there is no other site with such unlikeable mods. In almost every post they show a need for power and control, which has developed through deficits in real life.

It would actually be sad if these people wouldn't be so unsympathetic and disgusting.

xmagxus

Neo Member
Since ERA exists, I'm always amazed that there is no other site with such unlikeable mods. In almost every post they show a need for power and control, which has developed through deficits in real life.

It would actually be sad if these people wouldn't be so unsympathetic and disgusting.
There was a period of time like 17 years ago where GameFAQs had extremely harsh moderation. I believe it's more lax now but I don't go there as much as I did back then.

Not every person is the same fucking person you idiot. If you have proof of an era poster who came back here and bashed NeoGAF then fair enough. You are as bad as some of the folks that paint GAF with the same brush. Some people like me went to Era simply because there was more activity there and just wanted to discuss games. I migrated back here a few years ago. I was banned in both places NeoGAF as well as ResetEra from the leftie loonies.
Yeah, I'll admit I'm worried I might be judged just because I had a (working) Era account before I had a GAF one due to reasons outside of my control. I don't exactly want to hear "Weren't you at Era at one point?" weaponized against me, especially if there's an expectation that Era refugees are going to be turning up in the future.

CeeJay

To be honest this mobafire company may actually live up to promise of being "hands off" It's quite possible all the mods will stay in place as is and mobafire is simply going to use resetera for passive income from data and ads until they have siphoned the site to its final death.

We'll probably see some UI layout and design changes to fit mobafire as well as an official post in the first week or two from the new owners and then they will retreat into silence as they quietly get information and ad money until the well has dried up.
Moba Fire have made it pretty clear that their plan is to increase monetisation of the site, where is the promise that they will be hands off? They are going to want an efficient return on the investment and if they see the numbers going down due to the way the site is being moderated then they aren't going to just standby and watch.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Nah, give them a break. We're not doing guilt by association here. If they are willing to return and have a more open-minded approach to discussion, they should be given that chance imho. The bad eggs will make themselves known in no-time anyway.

Come now. We aren't them. Maybe they are wiser than they were before....If they do weird sheet not consistent with Gaf, I'm sure the mod team here will handle accordingly.

Wasn't your ass over there too?

they will make themselves known and be weeded out over time

Yeah, I'll admit I'm worried I might be judged just because I had a (working) Era account before I had a GAF one due to reasons outside of my control. I don't exactly want to hear "Weren't you at Era at one point?" weaponized against me, especially if there's an expectation that Era refugees are going to be turning up in the future.

I realize half of this (or more) is tongue in cheek and jokes but as said before, anyone who wants to is welcome to join. No purple letters here.

People who don't follow the rules will get bounced pretty quick. It happens every day with other users so it doesnt really make a difference if they come from ERA or not.

chris121580

I look forward to MOBA removing all of the mods as soon as they fully takeover. I think it's a safe bet that will happen and I think the mods know that as well which is why they're being extra obnoxious in the thread

TVexperto

The answer is yes. They already consented to allow use of their data when they signed up and changing owners doesn't change that at all. Now they could try to initiate a GDPR take down request if they can prove they are a European citizen/resident, but I would be willing to bet that most wont actually do it AND follow through AND make an official complaint to their local regulator if the data is not removed.
i already submitted a complaint with my local data protection agency

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I look forward to MOBA removing all of the mods as soon as they fully takeover. I think it's a safe bet that will happen and I think the mods know that as well which is why they're being extra obnoxious in the thread

I think half of them don't want to admit what is happening because ERA is their real life and their actual real life is miserable or non existent. Its sad TBH. To admit otherwise will crush them.

CeeJay

You're over thinking it.

xmagxus

Neo Member
Moba Fire have made it pretty clear that their plan is to increase monetisation of the site, where is the promise that they will be hands off? They are going to want an efficient return on the investment and if they see the numbers going down due to the way the site is being moderated then they aren't going to just standby and watch.
Sorry I meant hands-off on the moderation team.. I think they will come in make a few sweeping changes with the setup and ads and whatnot but after that, I suspect there is a decent chance they will mostly be ghosts collecting info and using it in the background for profit... as the forum speeds up more and more to an early demise.

That of course is just one of many possible outcomes and its too soon to say for sure what will happen - the only thing I can say for sure is that this entire situation has fractured resetera in a way that will never *fully* heal.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
i already submitted a complaint with my local data protection agency

On what basis. Did you already formerly ask to have your data removed and no one replied with in the statutorily prescribed time? Usually they have what 10 days or 2 weeks to reply IIRC.

Raven117

Wonder if the members will figure out that they may be able to work with the owner and actually get the mods they want? Hell, they could pay the new owners to replace or kick mods. If its "community" run, why do the mods take such an antagonistic view towards the users?

That would be something.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It is sad that Neph spends fucking 16h online on Era every day, goes to sleep, back on that FREE mod duty.
I still... like... I still believe that Cerium told them he´d give mods cheap change to not bail and defend him, or the mods are acting like that to try and prove their "worth" and then be hired by MOBA in any sort of official capacity.

How do these people make a living? We know it's not by moderating Era.

Kagey K

Banned
Just be a normal person and have normal conversations and you'll be fine. :messenger_bicep:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If ERA people come on droves, thats fine. Any of them trying to gaslight will have trouble doing it since theres no politics tab and anyone trying to push politics in the OT tab gets weeded out anyway. Console warring has been weeded out too if any ERA people like doing that.

NotCentered

Neo Member
Dz0HCTD.png

Narrator: They sold the users data.

Hey B-Dubs, if you're reading this : Cerium is telling you every possible lie so you and the mods team fight for him and keep the boat afloat for a while. There's a reason why he didn't receive the full 4.5M$ in one payment, it's not MOBA's first dance and they certainly added a clawback clause to the contract to be sure that they aren't buying an empty shell (yep, pretty sure they are really not overly confident about what will remain after the announcement). If the page views and/or registered users in going under a certain threshold before the second payment, then the deal will be dead and Cerium will have to give back the money. That's why he's ready to tell you everything you want to hear.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Sorry I meant hands-off on the moderation team.. I think they will come in make a few sweeping changes with the setup and ads and whatnot but after that, I suspect there is a decent chance they will mostly be ghosts collecting info and using it in the background for profit... as the forum speeds up more and more to an early demise.

That of course is just one of many possible outcomes and its too soon to say for sure what will happen - the only thing I can say for sure is that this entire situation has fractured resetera in a way that will never *fully* heal.
Now the site has a price, a real world monetary value and it's new owner has bought it purely to both make back that initial investment and also profit on top. In it's current form the place has been eaten alive by what it has built it's own brand on fighting against and I don't see how it can move forwards like that.

Change is absolutely inevitable

NickFire

If it were a more traditional company they acquired then the current mods probably would have been fired right around the time the ownership change post went up. The culture the mods fostered just does not seem compatible with the new company. My guess is it will go down in one fell swoop as soon as the new company believes it can lock out the old and have new mods take over without risk of a few users (or mods) going ham in the chaos.

ethomaz

Banned
Dz0HCTD.png

Narrator: They sold the users data.
That is false in so many levels.

MOBA brought the site with everything… so they have access to the database, server hosts, code of the pages, etc (all master passwords) and so they have access to all data.

The purchase includes the data of all users… the good part is that they don’t have payment data… just email, name and others networks ids… unless of course some users did use private messages to share these datas… MOBA has access to all PMs.

This mod have no ideia what he is talking about.

PS. MOBA probably already changed all master passwords to nobody else have any access anymore… that is basically security for any company (even small ones).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom