• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allforce

I have no idea either. I tried skimming their corporate site but lost interest trying to translate to English every page and whatever money stated was in Swedish currency.

They have a slew of decent looking websites with forums. Their forums are totally dead. But their main rev driver seems to be ad sales.

They might have a bunch of venture cap money floating around, because their investor page had something about an IPO.

My only thought is just pure user data collection to sell off to whoever buys that shit. Thousands and thousands of user's data is useful to someone and 4.5M could be a steal in the grand scheme of that industry. But I'm just theorizing.

I checked out their other sites and it's just bizarre. Wasteland forums with 300/400/600+ THOUSAND members...and maybe half a dozen posts a week. Forums that have been around for a decade+ and are just absolute ghost towns.

nush

Gold Member
Seem like a small amount for such a big website in these times

It's actually going down the shitter

2ixuSRH.png

The guy took 4.5 million and now decides to take some time off, these fucking people are so damn stupid. He was never active there, the work he did was probably for maintenance to keep that juicy money from ads coming. He never ever cared about the damn place, and now decides to take personal time off because of mental issues?

You can clearly see that these people rarely go outside and spend most of their days inside their fucking basement shouting gender pronouns and crying about videogames not respecting their safe space. No one in their right mind would fall for this shit. This is the typical case of "got my money, now i'm out of here.".

Laughed a lot already. These guys are so clueless.

And I want to say to EviLore EviLore - thank you for keeping NeoGaf working. I really enjoy coming here every day, even though recently I haven't posted as much (going through a lot of shit now), but I really appreciate it. Might even buy some GAF Gold to show support.

Last edited:
What has she said? Seriously disappointing if true. I knew her long ago(2009ish) and she was just a good writer. :/
You can simply go through her ERA post history mate. It's quite prevalent and I've been through this enough, don't want to derail this thread either.

EDIT: Mainly she's tipped into reverse racism and treats the entirety of world races and struggles in a USA centric context of black and white.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm just enjoying the fuck you to mods like Nepenthe, sorry to any good mods over there but she's one of the most racist people I've had the displeasure of dealing with on the internet.

Honestly the whole thing has me subbing to GAF Gold as a thanks to EviLore EviLore , taking us (me) back after we got grifted by the concept of ERA. It's now revealed for all to see. I hope the 1 year to Gold goes someway to paying for/making coin from GAF. You've come a long way mate, well done and fuck that grifter off the back of your hard work.

All the mods on Era are racist, transphobic, bigotted, hateful losers. You have to be to mod over there. Hell, most of their user base is as well. No sane person stays over there and deals with all that sort of stuff unless they are like those mods.

BreakOut

I was a dual user but man.. this really irks me. Fucking sell outs. There is the real reason they left. They probably got offers and our main man here didn’t want to sell.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
SOme other stuff about MOBA. And they bought a thing called Magic Find that has to do with streaming a gaming communities.

nush

Gold Member
SOme other stuff about MOBA. And they bought a thing called Magic Find that has to do with streaming a gaming communities.

Good research chap.

BreakOut

This is hilarious. They paid $80 a member, but each member only generates $12 a year. They also ban more people than they have new users signing up, which means not only are they declining in usership, but it would take this company 7 years to recoup their money at the current total.

Guess what that means? It means, for all the talk about the new owners being hands off, there are going to be a lot of shitty changes on that site in the near future that the community won't like. Add to that the constant implosions that keep happening over there and I give the site a couple more years, at best.
Oh dude they’re gonna open registration so fast. Going to be like fucking N4G over there. I’m sure they will lose all their insiders. The fact that you can’t just click yeah I want to be here, get banned and make another account the same minute is one of the reasons I think leakers and insiders are willing to share information on these sites. That site is going to be a complete joke in 6 months.

Atrus

Gold Member
Did they think quickly creating an alt-site was a spur of the moment decision for the good of the community?

Cerium swindled himself into a site by siphoning off some of Neogaf’s equity and then cashed out when the going’s good.

He gets paid and the rest get fucked, or will once MOBA is done with them.

nush

Gold Member
Oh dude they’re gonna open registration so fast. Going to be like fucking N4G over there. I’m sure they will lose all their insiders. The fact that you can’t just click yeah I want to be here, get banned and make another account the same minute is one of the reasons I think leakers and insiders are willing to share information on these sites. That site is going to be a complete joke in 6 months.

Current users will be forced to accept a new terms and conditions contract of service before they can log in at some point.

It's going to be a bloodbath.

Can't wait.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
the thread announcing the sale took a predictable turn. the people who hate the mods also think they should be paid or whatever

my personal thought, i dont give a shit about what moderators get or don't get. should they get something? yeah probably, but not enough where its a job. now that a legit company owns the site, its up to them to fund it. if the volunteer moderators quit and no one replaces them, what do you think happens? someone has to get paid to do it.

i see this as a good thing; eventually the corporate overlord will put their thumb on the scale ever so slightly.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup.

By the looks of it they got all those dead forums, but also whatever those Magic Find YT sites are. Those sites are going to be worth more than the DOTAFire kinds of sites they have.

100% guaranteed the mods will directed to change people or attitude patrolling the boards.

But no doubt they are going to try funneling as many users to sign up on Reeee to grow it and with tons of ads too. Their corporate site even says ad sales are a key pillar. They might even try to merge all those Fire sites into Resetera where there's a giant MMO/competitive tab. Who knows.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
the thread announcing the sale took a predictable turn. the people who hate the mods also think they should be paid or whatever

my personal thought, i dont give a shit about what moderators get or don't get. should they get something? yeah probably, but not enough where its a job. now that a legit company owns the site, its up to them to fund it. if the volunteer moderators quit and no one replaces them, what do you think happens? someone has to get paid to do it.

i see this as a good thing; eventually the corporate overlord will put their thumb on the scale ever so slightly.
It's a forum. People are always willing to be mods.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I think in general, people assume mods dont get paid on websites and for sake of interest or fun, mods do it for free as a hobby of some kind. Most bulletin boards you see on the net are pretty trashy, have hardly any users and looks like they are $20 away from shutting down.

The people bringing up money and Cerium's big cash out are simply (and masterfully) trolling the Reeee mods that they didnt even get a dime out of it. Not surprisingly, the mods chiming in are putting on a brave face they dont care about being paid and do it as some kind of liberating cause for all gamers.

Hey, they can feel that way all they want. That's on them. But Cerium cash out at the expense of them.

If any admitted today they feel burned, it would look bad on them as it would admit Cerium sold them out and they got paid zero.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
To add on to this:

Communism is the ideal of collectivism - everyone having power in the direction of the state and sharing wealth. It is the opposite to capitalism more than fascism

Fascism is a dictatorship

Two opposite ends of the spectrum

The problem for Communism is it has never really existed and always just been the pretty marketing for regimes that end up authoritarian

You can't really judge purely on the left to right spectrum when speaking about authoritarianism because you can 100% have an authoritarian left wing (USSR) or right wing (WW2 Italy)

mBoqU5S.png
The NSDAP was center authoritarian.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The fun part of this is going to start when they realize what being corporately owned really means, and that's going to happen once people start playing the cancel culture game where if you want to get rid of somebody or something you apply pressure to the parent organization!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think in general, people assume mods dont get paid on websites and for sake of interest or fun, mods do it for free as a hobby of some kind. Most bulletin boards you see on the net are pretty trashy, have hardly any users and looks like they are $20 away from shutting down.

The people bringing up money and Cerium's big cash out are simply (and masterfully) trolling the Reeee mods that they didnt even get a dime out of it. Not surprisingly, the mods chiming in are putting on a brave face they dont care about being paid and do it as some kind of liberating cause for all gamers.

Hey, they can feel that way all they want. That's on them. But Cerium cash out at the expense of them.

If any admitted today they feel burned, it would look bad on them as it would admit Cerium sold them out and they got paid zero.

yep

i would personally feel slighted that someone was benefiting in such a way from my free time, especially where I received no tangible benefit. if the understanding was we were all doing it for fun, that's one thing, but ever since its inception the concept of an "owner" and who made up the "company" running the "business" of ResetEra was a concern for me, even as a normal poster there.

In the end, my time engaging in the community is also being sold off for profit and irksome in a similar way that mods putting much more investment of time should (and some probably do) feel.

Last edited:

Wulfer

Here’s the clincher; from what I’ve read, the mod team weren’t being paid. They were being cunts purely for the sake of being cunts. And now King Cunt has sold the site and all his cunty minions won’t see a single dime of it.
Good, don't let a single one of them become a mod over here. I'm tired of there BS ruining good places!

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
holy hell just when i think this cant get any better :messenger_tears_of_joy: this is so bonkers. its like everything is revealing itself in the final act of this clown world story.

will the other mods follow? was it always about money? has it always been a scam? LET'S FIND OUT!

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live
If that's true that it was always about the money, then these guys deserve it for playing the longest con ever xDDDDDD

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
She's actually done it.. wait for the rest of them to milk the userbase now.

Bvus1uE.png
HAHAHA!

I thought all those mods were half joking. Turns out they are trying to pinch Reee users for donations after all. That was fast.

Where were all these self-interest links before? I thought they were all a collective group of eager beavers willing to work for free?

lol

Hey gaffers, dont laugh. That mods link already has 28x$5 donations. Made $140 in half an hour. The grift continues on that site.

Now watch as every one of them adds their own donation link.

Last edited:

demonstr8

vg8bady.png

Own? What like a plantation owner?
The way that person writes is a sign of a mental instability. They communicate like they are in cartoon or a movie using way more words than they need to because they are unable to form an original response because they're too deep in the hivemind.
Someone articulated it extremely well as this kind of communication is rampant on reddit and I am doing a really, really bad job of articulating it here. It's not even a dig at this person, I honestly hope they get some help but they probably won't.
Many people on resetera badly need help that they sadly probably won't get. Also I don't know if this is the same mod but one of them is incredibly racist, it might be her because she is female and her name sounds similar - it was posted on the shithole that is 4chan a while ago.

Resetera banned me for daring to throw dissenting opinions on one of their "Why X is a problem in video games" threads. The moderation team over there is pure garbage. If your opinions don't align with theirs you get the axe. Its literally just one big echo chamber over there.
Yep.

And If you've posted something that doesn't align with their views one of two things happen:

1) Either instant ban/infraction/warning
2) Members start dumping on your post ONE BY ONE and then eventually you get banned

Number 2 is most annoying and you can see the ban coming from a mile away and there's nothing you can do about it.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Well since I decided I wanted to participate in a general game forum, I decided to give GAF a try on a whim. I truly don't know (or even care) what its overall history has been. But since joining I've heard unending jabs at this resetera place 😄.

Okay I check it out: A few bleedingheart causes and some reallly dull discussion of games.

Are people actually threatened by it? I'll admit I tend to be pretty left of center. While I roll my eyes at a lot of the weird obsessions with worrying about pronouns, video game character appearances, LGBT people, or who you want to fuck, I find discussions generally WAY more interesting here since comparing. I also have not ever received a ban notice once for being negative, speaking my mind, or going a bit off-topic while on GAF; a definitive plus in my book.

A little controversy and edge is fun anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom