• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGL as a PlayStation gamer, I'm envious of the backward compatibility XBOX Series X offers

How much does the inclusion of backwards compatibility influence your decision to purchase?

• Not at All - It's simply not something that I require

Votes: 69 24.0%
  • Somewhat - it's not the most important feature

Votes: 58 20.1%
  • Somewhat - I do consider it to be important

Votes: 39 13.5%
  • Moderately - I would want other features to warrant it not being there

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Absolutely - In this day and age, I don't see why it cannot be done

Votes: 125 43.4%

• Total voters
Got into a random Twitter spat with a troll who may as well change his user name to "Transcendent Gaming Expert" as he tried to maintain that nobody cares about backwards compatibility.
This person used the fact that PlayStation 4 selling 110 million units was proof of the fact and that PlayStation 3 sold much better without it. I made the point that the PS4 was a very well supported device which was priced well, better designed than it's opposition, a huge improvement on it's predecessor, much better supported and capitalising on the misfortune of the competition. I also stated that the success of the PlayStation 3 wasn't due to the removal of a feature nobody wanted, it was due to the fact that removing the hardware required to do so in the PS3 Slim re-design lowered the price and barrier to entry significantly. Also considering that Sony started to pump out first party gold at this time and they were getting third parties back on good terms was a huge change of fortunes also. But nope, apparently we just got rid of something people didn't want and we printed money.

But I would argue that, that simply isn't true.

The closer we get to the new consoles, the more I find myself becoming envious about the backward compatibility Microsoft offers. I'm an avid PlayStation fan at heart and PlayStation was my childhood. I was old enough to be there when Sony were revolutionising the console business and I've been here since. But as an adult with children, a fiancee, a mortgage, a car etc. I find my finances limited and can only afford one console. I tend to stick to what I know but also in part, because Microsoft never really had a first party line-up where I had to break the bank and get an XBOX.

However, I do have an extensive collection of games from PS1 to PS4, including both PSP and Vita. Looking at what Microsoft is doing with backward compatibility is really to be applauded. If I really want to enjoy my PS2 collection in better quality, I either have to dig up my 60GB behemoth PlayStation 3 that currently sounds like a jet engine taking off or spend hours pissing around with an emulator on my moderately powerful PC, though the emulation offers much better quality visually and in terms of performance which is what I want really. There are so many great games that aren't going to get remade or sold again because nobody knows who holds the licences. Publishers and developers from days gone, Midway, Acclaim, Probe, THQ. Too many to count. These aren't going to be listed to an online store and honestly the PS2 selection of games is embarrassing on PlayStation 4.

Now for me, it isn't a deal breaker that there isn't universal backwards compatibility here. But the fact that this new console is powerful enough to be able to offer me the ability to play all of my games in a much higher quality through emulation is quite disheartening. I have well over 1,000 games. I enjoy playing older games. A great example is The Darkness, 2K clearly have no intentions of remastering the PS3/360 games, nor make a sequel. But wouldn't it be great to pop it into my PS5 and see HDR added, the frame rate stabalised or increased and resolution increased? I really want to play InFamous 2 like that but somehow Sony haven't remastered those games. Maybe if I could do that when I fancy playing Ghost in the Shell on PS1 or PS2, when I pick up Nightmare Creatures, Persona 4 or even Persona 4 Golden. Those many games locked on platforms gone where we can't reasonably enjoy them now like Soul Sacrifice or Crisis Core.

How do you feel about backward compatibility in the modern climate of gaming? Is it a must? Do you care? Discuss.

93xfan

Banned
I have over a hundred PS1 games that I bought on the PS3, and almost as many PS2 games/PS2 remasters on PS3.
I started this gen PS4 only and thought I was done with Xbox. BC was a huge part of why I’m likely going Xbox only at the start of next gen. It matters, and if it didn’t, remasters and re-releases wouldn’t sell so well.

Even if a person currently doesn't care about BC, that may not always be the case.

I didn't look back for over a decade, but lately I spend a lot of time thinking about the games I've played as much as the ones I want to.

It's just too bad licensing issues prevent so many games from being included. PGR4 with all the bells and whistles would be fantastic.

93xfan

Banned
The real big thing is that Sony hasn’t been clear about their future intentions. Buy a PS4 game today, and it may never be playable on the PS5. While most likely will at some point, it’s still worrying.

And what’s going to happen another 7 years later? Will Sony put in the work for PS6?

I want to be confident in the ecosystem I choose.

Max_Po

Banned
I can play Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II on the same console. BC is awesome and people who feign to not care about it just come off as trying to convince themselves that they don't need their chosen console to offer it.

Speaking of XboxOneX Most of my games aren't even BC....

TLZ

Banned
I can play Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II on the same console. BC is awesome and people who feign to not care about it just come off as trying to convince themselves that they don't need their chosen console to offer it.
Some people really don't care. We're not all the same. They just want current stuff and the past is the past for them where it belongs.

Me on the other hand though I love it and wish all consoles had full BC with all their past consoles.

Xbox has the best BC out of any console, that being said if Sony decides to go all in on BC I hope they don't do the same thing MS is doing. Put in a universal emulator that plays all games so licensing issue with old games isn't an issue.

Ten_Fold

I love BC, I can play MvC2 which I brought on 360 and ps3(can’t play on ps4) I can play replay some old 360 games whenever. It’s good so I don’t have to hook up the old system all the time.

I personally find it strange just how much some people need you to know how little they care. Apparently not caring = at least one paragraph per BC thread about how much of a waste it is, and usually steering the conversation to sales or 1st party or something else entirely irrelevant to the topic given that, at least in MS’s case, the BC implementation and upkeep has zero negative impact on either sales or first party. It’s not even entertaining trolling, it’s just hot air.

ethomaz

Banned
I prefer using the $$$ on new games.
IMO for me any money and time used in BC is a waste.

But that is me.

Xbox has the best BC out of any console, that being said if Sony decides to go all in on BC I hope they don't do the same thing MS is doing. Put in a universal emulator that plays all games so licensing issue with old games isn't an issue.

Considering the biggest challenge to emulation is have the source code, Sony aren't breaching their own code. I don't know what is stopping them.

ethomaz

Banned
I personally find it strange just how much some people need you to know how little they care. Apparently not caring = at least one paragraph per BC thread about how much of a waste it is, and usually steering the conversation to sales or 1st party or something else entirely irrelevant to the topic given that, at least in MS’s case, the BC implementation and upkeep has zero negative impact on either sales or first party. It’s not even entertaining trolling, it’s just hot air.
You need you know a team that will use money and time...
You can use that for better things like a new game.

I think it only serves to benefit the console manufacturer if whenever they release a new console, it is compatible with their previous consoles' games.

In the category of reasons they're really giving consumers to buy their newest hardware it only makes sense to include this feature. Especially at launch, when there is likely not going to be a lot of games (read: reasons to buy the console), having backwards compatibility can easily tip a potential customer into buying the new hardware. In this way, extensive backwards compatibility should be a standard feature of all new consoles by now.

Furthermore, backwards compatibility should be something the console manufacturer keeps in mind with each console generation. If fundamental aspects of how the console works from generation to generation keeps changing, that could drive up the cost to provide it in future iterations if software emulation cannot be implemented and specific hardware components must be added to obtain the feature.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

It’s also interesting how this applies to the Hellblade appreciation thread, and the posters are universally the biggest plastic warriors on the site.

SegaShack

I don't like buying the same game again or waiting for games to be ported. I usually hold onto my systems but BC is why I switched to getting indies and 3rd parties on xbox instead of switch.

You need you know a team that will use money and time...
You can use that for better things like a new game.
So MS has, what, ~15 first party studios now, some with multiple teams, a ludicrous amount invested into Gamepass, 1st party and Xbox as a whole, but this entirely seperate BC-specific team is the straw that breaks the camels back? Get the fuck outta here.

Celcius

°Temp. member
As I get older I don’t care about going back and playing older stuff that I’ve already played several times. I’m all about new experiences and the next adventure. I’ve found that I don’t really care about backwards compatibility anymore.

But the same is true with Xbox. They do emulation for BC, and not all games have been BC. They add new games to the list, but it's far from a 100% complete list.
True, and while it’s not as clear cut, I think the lack of BC for PS3 games and the (correct me if wrong) limited amount of PS2 BC games leaves more of a question mark on the Sony side. MS have pretty clearly prioritised BC more so they rightfully get given more leeway.

ethomaz

Banned
So MS has, what, ~15 first party studios now, some with multiple teams, a ludicrous amount invested into Gamepass, 1st party and Xbox as a whole, but this entirely seperate BC-specific team is the straw that breaks the camels back? Get the fuck outta here.
It is money and time wasted no matter how many studios you have.
It could be the 16th studio for example.

It is a feature in the very bottom of what I want from a console... there are so many things including games to be done before think about BC.

It was a feature I never cared on PS2 or PS3 for example... and I never missed it on PS4.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
360 and Original Xbox that aren’t currently BC may never be BC due to licensing and rights issues. This won’t be a problem for gen 8 games and beyond as MS has clearly changed the terms for new software on their consoles

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
BC is cool but I've only used it for Alan Wake, Metal Gear Solid 2 and some Rare games

It's not a deal breaker

This is not just for games you've "already played." I'm primarily a PC gamer now and features like this are one of the biggest reasons I switched back when this stuff wasn't so prevalent on consoles.

Here. Let me paint you a picture for those that are having a hard time understanding why this is so cool for lots of people who aren't swimming in cash.

let's set up a 5 year timeline for a random person. I know MANY people like this.

Year 1. Person makes 50k. No outrageous bills. Is able to buy every newly released game that interests him.

Year 2. Person makes 50k. Health issues pop up. Bills increase a bit. Is still able to buy every newly released game that interests him but not as comfortably.

Year 3. Company downsizes, person loses job, has to relocate, now makes 40k. Bills are same but money is tighter. Can't afford nearly as many games. Way less time to play them due to new job. Just buys those that GREATLY interest him.

Year 4. Person makes 40k. Health issues rear head due to new work environment. Car accident. Bills increase quite a lot. Can only afford a game every couple months. Hunts for deals and sales as much as possible.

Year 5. Person makes 40k. Married. Saving for new house and kids. Bills are back to normal. Due to saving, can't afford many games. Services like Gamepass and Humble bundle are a staple now. Discovering all kinds of games he never knew he'd like though.

People like me don't have the money to buy every flipping game as it comes out nor do we have all the time in the world to play them right then. Our budgets and expendable time increase and decrease all the time. So we have to pick and choose. I've personally missed out on a lot of series that interest me. I haven't played MANY of the Final Fantasy games for example, even though I've been interested. And due to gamepass and such I can now try out tons of games that I otherwise wouldn't have known I'd like.

Oh, what's that? X Publisher is having a sale? They are bundling a bunch of games in a series I haven't played before the launch of the newest, shiniest, cool looking one that comes out on next gen consoles in a couple years? Sweet. I can afford that now. I'll get it and add it to my backlog for when I have the time to go through them.

But wait, there's more! When I do have the time, and I've upgraded my console because I now have the funds to do so, I get to play them in better fidelity and with more features than I would have all those years ago if I had gotten and played them right at launch on the console they released on? Freaking amazing. Not so bad that I had to wait all this time now.

Last edited:
It is money and time wasted no matter how many studios you have.
It could be the 16th studio for example.

It is a feature in the very bottom of what I want from a console... there are so many things including games to be done before think about BC.

It was a feature I never cared on PS2 or PS3 for example... and I never missed it on PS4.
Yeah cause we needed more examples of why you’re a flaming PS fanboy. /s

By your own logic, if Sony hadn’t spent more on the dual sense and had just gone with an updated but largely the same DualShock then they couldn’t produced an extra game or two. That’s ludicrous and not at all how it works. You’re trying really really hard to turn MS’s exceptional BC efforts into a bad thing and making yourself look like an idiot in the process.

Aion002

It's cool. But for me it doesn't factor in, since I keep all my old consoles and, eventualy, I will be able to emulate them on my PC.

When I think about a new console I think about new games.... And that's it.

Again, it is a cool thing... But I don't care.

teezzy

Banned
I spend more time with my old consoles than I do on my Xbox One S. Even so, I adore just how many games carried over. If I have to choose, I'm going with the company which respects its history. Xbox has made it clear that they care nearly as much about older titles as I do.

MzIld81.jpg

leo-j

Sony confirmed ps4 BC on ps5. And they also have PS NOW for $5 a month if you wanna replay ur old ps3 games that will never run on hardware due to the cell. Ps plus cloud saves go as far back as ps3.

Roxkis_ii

BC is just isn't a big deal to me. The games that came out this gen have blown my mind and hopefully next gen does the same. My gaming time is limited, so I would rather spend it on a new experience than replaying older games.

If I'm feeling nostalgic about an older game, I'll just look it up on YouTube and get reminded how a lot old games don't age well anyhow.

Radical_3d

The pool is badly presented. As a PlayStation gamer you are always going to purchase the PS5. So most of the votes will go to the option of “nothing at all”. But I’m dying for a PS3 4K emulation with double the frame rates on my PS5. Specially because I know that I’m not getting a MototStorm ever again.

Sony confirmed ps4 BC on ps5. And they also have PS NOW for $5 a month if you wanna replay ur old ps3 games that will never run on hardware due to the cell. Ps plus cloud saves go as far back as ps3.

Mmm you don't understand how it works much do you? CELL is just the central processing unit. That can be emulated. How do you think they emulate any older console? They are made mostly from custom hardware. Look at the Saturn. That's fucked up. Emulators out there.

Arachnid

I fucking love it.

Just imagine MGS4 being BC. Or any of the other PS3 and below games that are left in the past like Infamous 1 and 2. They should all be 4k and 60 fps in a BC program by now. I can play the entire Splinter Cell series and the MGS collection on my Xbox One X. I would shit myself if I could load up Silent Hill 1-4 on my PS4.

This is the one area PS4 dropped the ball, and I'll never understand peoples indifference to it. Don't you have any beloved games you grew up with you wish you could just boot up on your current gen console?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Never found myself wanting it... I have a huge backlog.

If I did have it, there are only a handful of games I would replay... Ninja Gaiden 1 and two, MGS3, 4 and Peace Walker. Maybe Revengence too.

Lethal01

I prefer bbc

I just couldn't care less about BC, I already have my old console and by the time keeping it is a problem I will be able to just emulate or the game would have been ported to pc.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Should we be concern the current boss of SIE was an anti-BC teamer.
But thanks to MS efforts and fans' 'feedback' which forced him to flip-flop now. 🤷‍♀️

Another concern occasionally raised by PlayStation devotees involves the company’s once-ubiquitous PlayStation 2. While Sony has in recent years devoted resources to bringing a handful of popular older titles to the PlayStation 4, the better part of that library is lost to time. For now, it seems that’s where it’ll remain. “When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” says Ryan. “That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

By contrast, the company says it intends to double down on things people do want to play, namely the explosive eSports phenomenon. “It’s a subject that is occupying us quite a lot these days, and something we’re looking at very carefully,” says Ryan. “We’re trying to find precisely what the role of the platform holder is in that value chain. Seeing how we can actually make the whole eSports thing bigger, better, different and bespoke to PlayStation is something you’re going to be hearing quite a lot about in the next year or two.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom