• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGL as a PlayStation gamer, I'm envious of the backward compatibility XBOX Series X offers

How much does the inclusion of backwards compatibility influence your decision to purchase?

• Not at All - It's simply not something that I require

Votes: 69 24.0%
  • Somewhat - it's not the most important feature

Votes: 58 20.1%
  • Somewhat - I do consider it to be important

Votes: 39 13.5%
  • Moderately - I would want other features to warrant it not being there

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Absolutely - In this day and age, I don't see why it cannot be done

Votes: 125 43.4%

• Total voters

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Summary of this thread:

Xbox gamer:"BC is essential"
PS gamer:"Nah, I can live without it"

Not judging, but that's been a trend ever since xbox announced Bc.
I don't think anyone is saying BC is "essential"

There are definitely people saying BC is a waste of time.

My favourites are those who are worried about BC not being profitable for M$ 🤣🤣

Hmmm let me guess....Xbox fanboys are gonna act like BC is best thing since sliced bread because MS has been fucking depressing this gen . Sony fanboys are gonna act like BC is super irrelevant even though it was a pretty constant feature up until Ps4 and they'll defend Sony to the death. The rest of us will just realize it's all personal preference. 🤷🏾‍♂️

My honest opinion, who cares. I like that i can play PS4 BC just for the fact Sony supports its consoles up to the very end, so i will be able to enjoy GoT and TLOU2 if i upgrade or not. Also i can still clear my backlog while waiting between games for PS5. I feel that maintaining BC for every generation limits how innovative you can be moving forward. Seriously is anyone pissed that you cant slam NES cartridge into your switch? More power to those who wanna play old games but i will buy a PS5 for PS5 games. The same reason i will buy a XSX for XSX games.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah cause we needed more examples of why you’re a flaming PS fanboy. /s

By your own logic, if Sony hadn’t spent more on the dual sense and had just gone with an updated but largely the same DualShock then they couldn’t produced an extra game or two. That’s ludicrous and not at all how it works. You’re trying really really hard to turn MS’s exceptional BC efforts into a bad thing and making yourself look like an idiot in the process.
Flaming? The OP specifically asked what the opinion of PlayStaion gamers lol

A controller is essential to play the games... how is your suppose to play the games if the company don’t use money to create an input device? Sad comparison.

Now what BC add to the platform instead to play games you already played? If I did no play a game on PS4 I won’t play it on PS5.

Like I said BC is a waste of resources imo.

These weird Sony choices based in other side fans that having nothing to play so they praise BC is what keep the PlaySyation platform to evolve.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I could bet, that if situation would be reversed, then same people would wrote in every thread that BC is most important function ever.
Remember PS2 and PS3? Full BC and in both cases nobody ever said it was important lol
Because you know it is not.

ethomaz

Banned
Summary of this thread:

Xbox gamer:"BC is essential"
PS gamer:"Nah, I can live without it"

Not judging, but that's been a trend ever since xbox announced Bc.
Actually since Sony announced BC for PS2.

To you understand how BC was "important" to Sony with an example you can remember more people got mad with Sony removing OtherOS from PS3 than BC ;)
Even so OtherOS is a feature that only hardcore gamers push it and have little specific uses for gamers.

Both features were totally irrelevant to PS3.

IMO I prefer Sony using their money into new games instead BC.

Last edited:

Roberts

To you understand how BC was "important" to Sony with an example you can remember more people got mad with Sony removing OtherOS from PS3 than BC ;)
Even so OtherOS is a feature that only hardcore gamers push it and have little specific uses for gamers.

Ha, I've had Ps3 and I have no clue what OtherOS is and to be honest I never used BC on it, because I sold my ps2 with all the games and simply didn't have any games to play through BC.

That said, I think I finally figured out why I greatly appreciate MS focusing on BC. It's not so much that I can play older games on my console, but because Xbox One X enhancements give old games a new life -
I rarely ever played BC titles that were not Xbox One X enhanced, because that would just transport me back a few years and nostalgia is not really my thing. I play (mostly games that I missed) them, because higher res make me feel like I'm playing a new game despite them having low res textures and what not. I don't spend too much of my gaming time on them (probably around 10-20%), but now that I have experienced it, I would probably be greatly disappointed if it was taken away from me. Does that make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Banned
Ha, I've had Ps3 and I have no clue what OtherOS is and to be honest I never used BC on it, because I sold my ps2 with all the games and simply didn't have any games to play through BC.

That said, I think I finally figured out why I greatly appreciate MS focusing on BC. It's not so much that I can play older games on my console, but because Xbox One X enhancements give old games a new life -
I rarely ever played BC titles that were not Xbox One X enhanced, because that would just transport me back a few years and nostalgia is not really my thing. I play (mostly games that I missed) them, because higher res make me feel like I'm playing a new game despite them having low res textures and what not. I don't spend too much of my gaming time on them (probably around 10-20%), but now that I have experienced it, I would probably be greatly disappointed if it was taken away from me. Does that make sense?
Yes. Makes perfect sense.

The XsX BC feature seems to be pretty awesome. Can't wait to test it out. Still not quite sure how they can get games hardlocked at 30fps up to 60fps tho?

Let's see if Sony provides more details on their BC functionality next week

I'll never understand why people will demand newer stronger hardware and then not care if they cut off a huge library for themselves because reasons. PC gaming has never had this issue and it's what makes PC gaming the best way to play it. Being able to go back and play ANY game I've ever bought on PC at ANY time I want and with the potential of it looking/running better because of my stronger hardware is the delightful. Xbox One X did it right, I LOVE the feature of that console and it's BC is a big reason why I even turn it on. PS4 only for exclusives, all other games on PC. Xbox One X and probably series X are a great compliment to my PC as I can then play in my office and then scoot over to the living room if I so choose. Everyone will care about BC. They just don't know it yet.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Actually since Sony announced BC for PS2.

Both features were totally irrelevant to PS3.

IMO I prefer Sony using their money into new games instead BC.
Sony makes billions a year on digital sales so they can easily do both. Spend a little money to protect people's digital purchases. Unless Sony wants to refund people part of their digital purchase. This is the price of pushing digital stores. Sony can walk and chew buble gum at the same time. It's not like ND and GG are doing the BC and not making games. A small separate team is hardy an expense when your clearing billions a year in sales. Excuses excuses excuses

ethomaz

Banned
Sony makes billions a year on digital sales so they can easily do both. Spend a little money to protect people's digital purchases. Unless Sony wants to refund people part of their digital purchase. This is the price of pushing digital stores. Sony can walk and chew buble gum at the same time. It's not like ND and GG are doing the BC and not making games. A small separate team is hardy an expense when your clearing billions a year in sales. Excuses excuses excuses
Still money wasted in something not important for a console.

Think a bit about your Division has a target budget for the year of $10 billion... if you use $100m with a BC team in that year it is $100m not used for a new game for example.

MS only pushed BC so hard because they have no first-party games to release... if they give first-party games to their userbase then they won't even have time to talk about BC.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Remember PS2 and PS3? Full BC and in both cases nobody ever said it was important lol
Because you know it is not.
I remember. Especially broken graphics on PAL PS3 and fact, that they quickly cut BC to save money forcing me to keep my old PS2 (which I use also to play PSX games).
I also remember how Sony decided to not port PSX BC from PS3 to PS4.

Last edited:

Neff

As someone who doesn't sell their games, if I don't get BC then it means I'm keeping my old consoles around.

It's nice not to have to keep old consoles around.

Three

I would say at the beginning of a gen on launch it is important. If it's not there at launch then to me it's useless because a year after launch I would sure hope there is a good library of current gen games for me to play.

MarkMe2525

I prefer using the $$$ on new games.
IMO for me any money and time used in BC is a waste.

But that is me.
A good game is a good game. I purchased sotn for the 3rd time the other day to play through it for like the 6th time. I will have more fun playing a well designed game then most of the money grab rush jobs we get today. I do realize this is a matter of opinion but I can find many reasons to look back and I often find myself doing just that.

ethomaz

Banned
A good game is a good game. I purchased sotn for the 3rd time the other day to play through it for like the 6th time. I will have more fun playing a well designed game then most of the money grab rush jobs we get today. I do realize this is a matter of opinion but I can find many reasons to look back and I often find myself doing just that.
It is one of the best games I played in my life.
But that was in 1998? I guess... I want others games to play.

I don't revisit games I already played because it is boring the second time.
I tried to play FFVII on PS4 two years ago... I finished it a month ago because it was boring to play the same thing again.

I don't watch movies twice too... I know the story already... same for books.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Still money wasted in something not important for a console.

Think a bit about your Division has a target budget for the year of $10 billion... if you use $100m with a BC team in that year it is $100m not used for a new game for example.

MS only pushed BC so hard because they have no first-party games to release... if they give first-party games to their userbase then they won't even have time to talk about BC.
100 million a year lol you think Microsofts small BC team costs the same as a full 300 person team of artists programmers ect. Maybe 3-5 million a year and that is peanuts the cost of 1 show. One of the reasons Phil did BC it was cheap when the xbox one division budget was slashed left and right when it tanked from previous management and suits were ready to give up on the division. BC is peanuts compared to new games for these new consoles and hardly a challenge for ps4 and one support.

Dory16

Banned
People's libraries are increasingly digital. Not having backwards compatibility is forcing those people to throw their games away (or abandon their rights to them) as they sell or archive the hardware.
BC is objectively a consumer NEED and the idea that "money is always better spent on newer games" is moronic. I discovered Red Dead Redemption 1 on Xbox One (enhanced for OneX) and it was one of my best experiences this gen.
Now for MS to even HDR up old games in addition to making them run at up to 120 fps is what I call going the extra mile for your customers.

Mossybrew

It's great for people into it, but yeah I don't care. Not really into old games and I almost never replay games, so it's a non-issue for me.

hyperbertha

Much rather they focus on a true next gen system than spent a single dime on BC. You have a moderately powerful pc so you can emulate all the games you want. That you can't be bothered to set it all up is just whining.

I'm really wondering about people who don't care about it... don't you play any game right now that you might have played for years and wouldn't mind keep on playing in the future with improved visuals and framerate?

Any GAAS like Path of Exile or Final Fantasy XIV, or any Co-op/MP game like Borderlands 3, Nioh 2, Destiny 2, Rainbow Six Siege... man the list is endless.

I mean, I can get behind not caring back in the day, as there were no games like World of Warcraft on consoles (except for FFXI on PS2), but nowadays you get games that can last a generation and keep you hooked even beyond... but maybe I'm just an outlier who can play some Multiplayer games for years, hence it always bothered me when I saw another PS360 remaster pop up early on in this generation.

I don't revisit games I already played because it is boring the second time.
I tried to play FFVII on PS4 two years ago... I finished it a month ago because it was boring to play the same thing again.

I don't watch movies twice too... I know the story already... same for books.
"Oh, Microsoft does it better? Well I don't care about BC anyways, I don't even replay games because replaying is boring!! Just look at how I didn't finish FF7... so boring!"
If there are no trophies then there is no incentive to replay a old game... Trophies is a feature that makes you want to buy the PS4 version over the PS3... that is why I play HD Remasters even when I already beat the game dozen of times.

I'm playing again (maybe 5th time or more) FFVII because they added trophies to PS4 version (speed run of course).
"I'M BUYING REMASTERS TO REPLAY OLD GAMES DOZENS OF TIMES AND I'VE PLAYED FF7 AT LEAST FIVE TIMES!!!"

You are full of shit and that borderline console warring is annoying as fuck.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm really wondering about people who don't care about it... don't you play any game right now that you might have played for years and wouldn't mind keep on playing in the future with improved visuals and framerate?

Any GAAS like Path of Exile or Final Fantasy XIV, or any Co-op/MP game like Borderlands 3, Nioh 2, Destiny 2, Rainbow Six Siege... man the list is endless.

I mean, I can get behind not caring back in the day, as there were no games like World of Warcraft on consoles (except for FFXI on PS2), but nowadays you get games that can last a generation and keep you hooked even beyond... but maybe I'm just an outlier who can play some Multiplayer games for years, hence it always bothered me when I saw another PS360 remaster pop up early on in this generation.

"Oh, Microsoft does it better? Well I don't care about BC anyways, I don't even replay games because replaying is boring!! Just look at how I didn't finish FF7... so boring!"

"I'M BUYING REMASTERS TO REPLAY OLD GAMES DOZENS OF TIMES AND I'VE PLAYED FF7 AT LEAST FIVE TIMES!!!"

You are full of shit and that borderline console warring is annoying as fuck.
I play remasters that add trophies... just for trophies like you read (speed run)... and I finished it (Platinum trophy).
I don't play the same game again after I'm done with it... I do all my play-thought in the first time I played the game.
I played 5th time (?) FFVII being the 4 first at launch of Japanese and International version.... and now two years ago I played FFVII to get the trophies.

It is the same reason I played some PS2 to PS4 games but never played the PS1 and PS2 Classic on PS3.
I'm a trophy hunter if you didn't know about that.

The two comments are complementary. It just shows my stance on BC come from way before this gen.

PS. Actual games all have trophies so Remasters become useless too.... for example TLOU R is a game only for these that never played the original but not me.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
A soft somewhat for me. It’s something I think should be a standard feature with how similar system architectures are relative to many past generational leaps.

But it’s not something I’d make much use of as I very rarely replay games so it’s not a big factor for me one way or the other. At most, when full BC is there it makes it easier for me to just sell off the old console and finish up any remaining games via BC in the new one. Beyond that, based on past experience I’d never use the BC.

But I get that many others do replay games and like to go back and play things they missed, so I do think it should be standard to have full BC for at least the prior generation.

I play remasters that add trophies... just for trophies like you read.
I don't play the same game again after I'm done with it... I do all my play-thought in the first time I played the game.
I played 5th time (?) FFVII being the 4 first at launch of Japanese and International version.... and now two years ago I played FFVII to get the trophies.

I'm a trophy hunter if you didn't know about that.
It doesn't matter what you are, you say that you don't replay games and you don't rewatch movies because they're boring, while you boast in other threads about how you replay games DOZENS of times even before any trophies are being added.
that is why I play HD Remasters even when I already beat the game dozen of times
You're lying. You like to play old games as much as anyone, but because BC is Microsoft's strongest point you downplay hard to make the BC feature seem insignificant to you.

ethomaz

Banned
It doesn't matter what you are, you say that you don't replay games and you don't rewatch movies because they're boring, while you boast in other threads about how you replay games DOZENS of times even before any trophies are being added.

You're lying. You like to play old games as much as anyone, but because BC is Microsoft's strongest point you downplay hard to make the BC feature seem insignificant to you.
It is true.
You need to read what I said.

I don't play the game I played... just like I don't watch movies I watched or read book I already read.
I do beat the game dozen of times when I play it.
That include how many playthought I did when I played the game (for example TLOU I beat it two times in a row but I will never play it again... FFVII is a weird case because at first I bought the Japanese version and the second of third disc were damaged so I bought the game again and had to play it again, after I played that Japanese version to get everything I missed - due played it I have in my mind even today all the kanjis used in the game for magic -, after I brought the english version and played it again... that was the only time I played FFVII until the PS4 version that I played just to get the trophies).
So I don't see any use of BC for me.

I play games again if they added Trophies... just to get the trophies (some games you don't need to even finish to get all trophies).

There is no lie in both comments you quoted... different subjects with the same reply.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

jimbojim

Banned
It would be cool if you can pop in a game disc from any of the previous generations and play it, but neither Xbox nor Playstation come close to that.

Personally, the most I've used backwards compatibility on console was using Wii U to play Wii games I missed out on.

Anyway, I think even a total lack of backwards compatibility would ultimately not affect the decision to purchase, just like its inclusion wouldn't guarantee it. However, if it's there then there's no doubt that it would make the console even better, and it could come in handy, even if rarely.

I should note though that I've been buying almost all multiplats on PC for around 12 years now, and all those games are sitting there ready to be played whenever and in better performance than what my hardware at the time could do. This no doubt makes backwards compatibility on console less important to me because it only affects exclusives and console only games.

I'm buying new console to play new games. Besides possibly HZD 2, new Bluepoint game other PS5 only games, surely won't any time extra to play old games

JTCx

I can play Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II on the same console. BC is awesome and people who feign to not care about it just come off as trying to convince themselves that they don't need their chosen console to offer it.
You sure you are not the one thats trying to convince yourself?

Aidah

I'm buying new console to play new games. Besides possibly HZD 2, new Bluepoint game other PS5 only games, surely won't any time extra to play old games
Personally, a new console doesn't make old games obsolete to me. Sometimes I go and play an old game I missed out on and it turns out to be more enjoyable than even most of the good new games. Backwards compatibility would be cool especially for a platform with such a vast and long legacy like Playstation. It would make those games more easily discoverable and accessible.

It's not a necessity or an essential feature (except for PS4 games), but I think it definitely would make the platform even better and more enjoyable.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
You sure you are not the one thats trying to convince yourself?

I don't have to convince myself. I have 7TB filled with games from three console generations that I can play any time I want without having to hook up an older system or mess with PC emulators.

It's a nice to have. It's great that Xbox put in all the work to make BC a thing. It's taken a long time and a lot of work to get to where they are now. It will take awhile for PS to catch up, if they decide to go that route. I personally don't care if a platform decides to focus on BC, but don't let it affect new games. Don't take resources away from new games/studios to focus on BC. Honestly, the only times I've gone back to play "old" games is when I've been bored of all the new stuff or there's nothing new that interests me.

GametimeUK

I'm kind of the opposite. With each passing year, the number of titles on PC that start getting issues (either because of driver updates or Windows updates) increases. They no longer work without having to edit some configuration file or add a user patch. If the Xbox can keep adding more titles to backward compatibility, it would be my de facto choice of hardware to play those older games as they simply "just work" and I'm not bothered about modding old games with better visuals on PC.

Yeah, that's a fair argument to make. Can't beat a game that just plugs in and works. I'd still argue it's fair to say generally speaking the PC still does a great job at running old games, but as you mention there are instances where your game becomes a brick and it is a shortcoming, but the amount of games you can play with new hardware and crank up the visuals and resolution outweighs the negative. That's just my take on it though.

Eliciel

I am absolutely not in a need of a backwards compatibility. I am new content hungry, don't need to replay anything at all to be honest.

93xfan

Banned
I've always been Sony first but....

BC is important.

It should be done.

Microsoft is doing an excellent job.

Sony should have begun working on its response when 360 compatibility was being rolled out to Xbox One.

The state of backwards compatibility today should be downright humiliating to Sony.

i think they’re not seeing
Xbox has the best BC out of any console, that being said if Sony decides to go all in on BC I hope they don't do the same thing MS is doing. Put in a universal emulator that plays all games so licensing issue with old games isn't an issue.

Huh? They cannot put games on PSN that have licensing issues.
Are you suggesting they make it so people can just load bootleg games to an external hard drive? Or are you suggesting people will need the original disc?

Great feature and I wish Sony offered the same level of care with pro patches and giving gamers something for free instead of Paid remasters

Hopefully we get some more news on this

Ellery

Being able to play PS4 games was a must. PS1-3 would've been awesome and I am a huge fan of Backwards Compatibility so what Phil Spencer is doing with Xbox is great and in that sense I would love for the PS5 to have the same level of Backwards Compatibility that the Xbox Series X has.

Sadly the games that are on Xbox are not that interesting for me personally and I couldn't really make use of it.

I can still hope that those games I would want to play on the PS5 with Backwards Compatibility will be available as digital titles or small remasters.
Honestly it is mostly the original Resident Evil 1,2,3 games, Metal Gear Solid games (4 especially given it is PS3 only), Silent Hill games and that is basically it.
I wouldn't mind paying $15 per title (of the games I mentioned above) for it on PSN if they were ever to offer it.

That being said good work is done by Phil Spencer and his team. Would Sony/Nintendo do the same if they were in the spot Xbox is in right now and Xbox was outselling those two by more than the factor of 2x? I don't know but would be interesting to see.

Ascend

Backwards compatibility is essential for me...

Let me tell you my gaming background. My first real console was the Nintendo 64. I played that thing quite a lot. No I never owned a NES, SNES etc. The earliest gaming device I owned was the original Game Boy, and then the Game Gear.
I never owned a PS2 nor an Xbox Original, but I played both at friends. There was one particular game that I was interested in back in the PS2/Xbox era, because we had so much fun with friends beating each other up; Dead or Alive 3.

We loved DOA3 so much, that we all went to the only friend with an Xbox just to play that game. Obviously we'd get in some Halo and NFSU as well. Despite the clunky controllers, we'd be playing to Xbox more than the PS2. We had great fun. Other than that, I played everything on my crappy Packard Bell PC with a Pentium 4 and an MX440 (worst GPU ever).

Then came the next gen consoles. Because of DOA3, I was really looking forward to DOA4. Additionally, because of my crappy PC, I thought it was time to buy a console. Really, the only thing that made me buy the X360 over the PS3 was DOA4. I disliked having to pay to play online, I disliked the D-pad on the controller, I disliked the proprietary hard drive, I disliked having to buy a play&charge kit, I disliked the obvious RROD fiasco, but I went with it anyway. All my friends chose Xbox over Playstation too, so, yeah.

Because of my crappy PC, despite upgrading it a bit, I was drawn to play more and more on the X360. The console grew on me. There were some games on the Playstation I wanted to play, and that included some PS2 games. So I decided to buy an original fat PS3, which were the only ones that were BC with PS2 games natively... And then I experienced the interface and the online of the PS3, and, well, I sold it again after a not so long time. Not only was it an inferior experience, my friends were on the Xbox. I barely used it, so it was best to sell it. I kept gaming primarily on the X360 for years.

Forward another generation, and Xbox One made its blunder with Kinect, always online etc. I thought... Yeah... I'm not getting an Xbox. The PS4 was looking good, but, I was still enjoying my X360 and the free games I was getting with Xbox Live Gold... So, I didn't want to go pay for two online subscriptions, and I still saw the value in my X360. Didn't want to simply ditch it. So instead, I upgraded my PC again, reviving my PC gaming. I would boot up the X360 from time to time to play with friends. Obviously my X360 got an RROD in the earlier years and I got another one. To this day it works, but, it shuts down after 15 minutes or so due to it overheating. The same applies when the Xbox One came out... My friends all got an Xbox One, but I remained with my X360 that works for only 15 minutes.

My friends were constantly telling me that I need to buy an Xbox One to play with them... And I said nah, I'm doing fine with my PC again. I have a bunch of games on my X360, and I can't really play them because of my X360. I don't feel like buying another X360, and buying an Xbox One is not going to help me there... I cut a deal with them. If the Xbox One receives backwards compatibility, I would buy the console to play with them... And yeah, Xbox One actually got backwards compatibility. So, I ultimately had to buy an Xbox One.

I now can play many of my older X360 games on my Xbox One. Sadly, DOA3/4 is not one of them, and although the newer titles of DOA came out, we don't think they're as good as DOA3 and as fun as DOA4. So we stuck to playing Halo and FIFA on the Xbox One, mostly. Sometimes Gears, COD, and little fun games like the Doritos Crash Course game etc.

So I still have Xbox Live Gold, receiving my free games monthly, and even though I barely play with my friends anymore (we all got kids, except one), from time to time we jump on there, sometimes with old games. At all other times, I play on my PC. The Xbox has become a sort of pillar of our friendship, and even though we play less, revisiting the old games on the newer consoles is nice.

The ability to play other older games that I love, like Mass Effect, I can do all that on PC. To have the option to choose either of them is a bonus. But the main thing that BC of the Xbox offers me, is keeping in touch with friends, remembering old times, and at the same time have opportunities to experience new games together. And that's why to me, BC a must.

Huh? They cannot put games on PSN that have licensing issues.
Are you suggesting they make it so people can just load bootleg games to an external hard drive? Or are you suggesting people will need the original disc?
The disc, if you can get the licensing then go ahead and sell the game on PSN, if you can't get the licensing then the disc still works. Its the best case scenario.

SAMZ

i'm not bothered about B/C, if i want to play old games i can keep my old system. I'd only be bothered about b/c if sony waste their resources on it when i'd rather they spend their resources on new games.

GreatnessRD

I love the convenience of backwards compatibility. I don't have to have 20 game systems setup at one time. Also, it was something I was used to until the PS4. I don't feel Sony would be wasting a ton of resources developing B/C for future consoles because the meat and potatoes of what they would like to be done will get done regardless. So I feel "wasting resources" is a weak argument. There is nothing wrong with having more options. You have some people who feel the share button was a waste of resources as they never personally use it. Does it make the games better to have it? Subjective, but the point is at least its an option. Just never understood why people don't like having more options. Even if you never use it, at least the option is there in case you had an itch and wanted to enjoy the convenience of it being there.

TacosNSalsa

If I intend to purchase a console, BC will affect when I buy one not if I buy one . No BC, I'll buy one much later into its life cycle. Everytime I've gotten a console before its first full year on the market it ended up just sitting there most of the time .

93xfan

Banned
It is money and time wasted no matter how many studios you have.
It could be the 16th studio for example.

It is a feature in the very bottom of what I want from a console...
there are so many things including games to be done before think about BC.

It was a feature I never cared on PS2 or PS3 for example... and I never missed it on PS4.

Some people say the same about VR. Oh, wait, don’t forget how Sony spends all that time and money on remasters (that you have to pay for).

But I understand. You’ve got bigger issues such as Sony shutting down servers early and not inspiring a lot of confidence that all of this years purchases will even be playable on PS5.

Top Bottom