• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateKing

my b, it came from the original google doc stuff that was shortly released after the game's western release and all that

a little research shows that it's originally an idea from an interview w/ yoko taro (as a joke) and then was hilariously made "canon" or whatever in a drama cd where emil blasts some aliens with eyebeams

http://something-very-special.tumblr.com/post/48366067355/replicant-drama-cd-the-great-space-war

I never got around to the Drama CDs. Thank you for the link. Holy wow what did I just read, lazer eyes? lol

kuroshiki

Man I still remember when I was playing this for 3rd time and found all the back stories of... you know,, bosses.

Damn.

The feeling man.

Yep. Emil later goes on to fight against the aliens.

When I hear aliens I think of martians but I'm assuming that's not the case here.

Drakengard 3 spoilers below:

More like entities that come from whatever created the
flower? I still have to beat the final boss so I don't know what's shown after that.

kuroshiki

NG+ starts halfway through the game , and running through them doesn't take very long.

Although getting the first NG+ ending is mandatory to get the full story. I always felt sad when people said they dropped the game after the first ending. As if the NG+ is just a bonus when it's really one of the most brilliant things in a game ever.

NG+2 is the real shit....

I never feel so 'slap in the face' in videogame like NG+ in nier before. I mean, holy shit man. =(

When I hear aliens I think of martians but I'm assuming that's not the case here.

Drakengard 3 spoilers below:

More like entities that come from whatever created the
flower? I still have to beat the final boss so I don't know what's shown after that.

I've just realised I haven't beaten the final boss...

Uh, guys, I suddenly remember that I have the NIER PS3 version unplayed...bought it used from a friend. Is the game good?

And how much is average game time? Because I only have time on weekends lol

Seyavesh

I never got around to the Drama CDs. Thank you for the link. Holy wow what did I just read, lazer eyes? lol

i would actually avoid them because they don't really add much- it's mostly prequel stuff that's like.. star wars prequel quality banality and making potentially insanely interesting things boring or lame.

it's straight up a flying saucer bro

PirateKing

i would actually avoid them because they don't really add much- it's mostly prequel stuff that's like.. star wars prequel quality banality and making potentially insanely interesting things boring or lame.

it's straight up a flying saucer bro

It doesn't matter though cuz multi timelines.

Verelios

Oh god oh god oh god oh my god

This is my collaboration dream! I feel faint. Please tell me this is real life. This is real life right? Oh my god, Nier with platinum combat.

Whoooo, I can hear Grandma playing in the background. Wonder how they're going to continue the story...because fuck, I progressively became more and more depressed going on.

NG+ starts halfway through the game , and running through them doesn't take very long.

Although getting the first NG+ ending is mandatory to get the full story. I always felt sad when people said they dropped the game after the first ending. As if the NG+ is just a bonus when it's really one of the most brilliant things in a game ever.

bu-what? That's interesting, I want ask for elaboration due to spoilers, but I was under the impression each run was around 20-40 hours. If it is doable then I'll try to do it, since I've always loved the music and art style.

PirateKing

bu-what? That's interesting, I want ask for elaboration due to spoilers, but I was under the impression each run was around 20-40 hours. If it is doable then I'll try to do it, since I've always loved the music and art style.

My second play through took me less than 6 hours. I was too OP by now. Third play through was the most because of grinding for parts. If you don't care for trophies, each play through won't take you long, maybe 5hrs each.

Verelios

My second play through took me less than 6 hours. I was too OP by now. Third play through was the most because of grinding for parts. If you don't care for trophies, each play through won't take you long, maybe 5hrs each.
This is about right. First play through took about 23 hours, but I was almost level 30 had finished 30+ quests and had most of the available, purchasable, weapons.

2nd playthough was around 3 hours, two for the next and maybe two or three for the last.

...I two shotted most bosses by then. Nier too stronk.

Seyavesh

This is about right. First play through took about 23 hours, but I was almost level 30 had finished 30+ quests and had most of the available, purchasable, weapons.

2nd playthough was around 3 hours, two for the next and maybe two or three for the last.

50k hp, still less than 300mp
them barbarian stats

Soriku

This reminds me, I hope they get rid of the garbage fetch/grinding quests in Nier 2. Have some quality quests please, with some cool optional fights.

Since Platinum is handling this I'm not sure if it'll remain an RPG (not that Platinum wouldn't be capable of making one) but I hope for a lengthy campaign with good side content.

Tohsaka

This reminds me, I hope they get rid of the garbage fetch/grinding quests in Nier 2. Have some quality quests please, with some cool optional fights.

Since Platinum is handling this I'm not sure if it'll remain an RPG (not that Platinum wouldn't be capable of making one) but I hope for a lengthy campaign with good side content.

I hope they keep it an action RPG, they just need to improve the combat.

That's a fantastic and rather unbelievable announcement, FF7 and Shenmue 3 were nice but this is the real megaton for me.

Agreed. I still haven't processed it.
All these people saying "I never thought a FF7 remake would happen." Pfffffffttttt whatever. FF7 is a well loved game. A remake was not a question of if, but when.

Nier 2 on the other hand? Considering Nier 1 probably bombed from a sales point of view, THIS is the real E3 shocker for me. Square Enix, I love you right now.

Seyavesh

new deets from famitsu, translated here: http://dokidokikusoge.moe/post/121729261991/new-nier-details-from-this-weeks-famitsu

Famitsu: Does this take place in the same world/universe as Nier?

Yoko Taro: It takes place in the same world as Nier, but in the future. If players start with this game, they should have no problems following the story. In fact, those who come into this expecting it to be a direct sequel might find themselves a bit lost.

Famitsu: Will characters from the last game appear?

Yoko Taro: Not everyone is going to pop up, but yes, some characters will be appearing. They won’t be in central roles though.

Famitsu: What’s going on with the CERO rating?

Yoko Taro: We had made Nier with the intent of getting a B or C, but we ended up with a D. We’re developing this new game in the hopes of getting an A, but…

There will be a New Game + of some kind. It’ll be different from the last game.
Drakengard’s Weapon Story system is set to be in the game.
The development is currently 10% done.

i guess the char in the trailer isn't kaine

Amir0x

Banned
jesus this of all games get a sequel

well I know it's much beloved on here but boy I hope they really drastically improve the gameplay, and make it so I don't have to suffer through the game like three times to see the full story plz.

EDIT: WAIT IT'S PLATINUM GAMES ON THIS HOLY SHIT I MISSED THE TITLE AND THE OP! OPTIMISM +100

Mentok

Banned
I never got a chance to play the first one....I hope it won't be necessary for this one. Shocked that a niche game gets a remake, but am damn glad! The PS4 RPG line up is shaping up to be PS1 levels of epic. Okay that may be a bit of a stretch, but a damn good start.

SephLuis

What is Nier guys? Reviews for the game dont seem that good. It has a huge fanbase?

Unfortunately no, the fanbase is not huge to guarantee a sequel.

So why do we love it so much ? Go play it ;D

It's available on PS3 and 360 and it's one of kind experience. Don't ask for spoilers and don't expect anything, just go.

Alastor

I played Nier for the first time like a month ago, the timing is great!

Finished the main story and then got the second ending. Fuck collecting all the weapons, though. Watched the last one on YT.

In terms of story, I seriously was expecting more after all the GAF hype. It wasn't your standard JRPG/action game story, but it wasn't mindblowing either. I expected more weird revelations.

The bosses' backstory also could be implemented in the first playtrough. I don's see why not. It would save the players a couple of hours of doing the same thing for a bunch of cutscenes.

Anyway, the music in Nier is indeed PHENOMENAL and overall, it's a great, but flawed game. Waiting for the second one :)

Seyavesh

I don't think that dude can make an all-ages game.

I hope that dude can't make an all-ages game.

attempts to make an all-ages game, ends up making another game where you murder children "what the, how'd that happen"

seriously is there a single game he's directed where you don't do that

Mawarup

Neo Member
A NieR/Drakengard game thats rated CERO A...I am having a hard time imagining that. But boy 10% started already? Guess TGS we would probably see a bit more progress. And NieR might not be reviewed well but I will stand by it for having one of the best OST I have encountered in my life.

fvng

dzyGGQD.gif

cj_iwakura

I love that Taro still wears the mask.

You are pretty much right but i liked the combat system as it wasnt some random battle turn based bullshit. I actually thought the game was really unique. The music was amazing, you are right.

I like the combat too, but that's what people complain about the most. Never got why, it's not like you're playing an Idea Factory game.

Reveirg

Every single time I browse through GAF threads and I see this glorious title... I still can't believe this game with this dream team is really happening.

Lothar

Banned
Uh, guys, I suddenly remember that I have the NIER PS3 version unplayed...bought it used from a friend. Is the game good?

And how much is average game time? Because I only have time on weekends lol

Nier has a powerful emotional story on par with Mother 3, Last of Us, Xenogears, Silent Hill 2, etc.., in my and a lot of people's opinions the greatest soundtrack in video games, wonderful voice acting, a lot of humor, terrific oppressive mood and atmosphere, memorable, likable, and very unique characters. For example, rather than the RPG protagonist being a mopey teenage kid, he's a middle aged ugly dad. The game is worth playing just for that.

Gameplay is fast. It doesn't take you long to run from place to place or clear out monster groups. It's satisfying beating up enemies with combos sending them flying back and leaving blood splatters on the ground. Special moves are impactful. Boss battles are exciting - a few of them rival Shadow of the Colossus battles in terms of epic scale.

Nier is short. About 20-25 hours maybe.

Nier has a powerful emotional story on par with Mother 3, Last of Us, Xenogears, Silent Hill 2, etc.., in my and a lot of people's opinions the greatest soundtrack in video games, wonderful voice acting, a lot of humor, terrific oppressive mood and atmosphere, memorable, likable, and very unique characters. For example, rather than the RPG protagonist being a mopey teenage kid, he's a middle aged ugly dad. The game is worth playing just for that.

Gameplay is fast. It doesn't take you long to run from place to place or clear out monster groups. It's satisfying beating up enemies with combos sending them flying back and leaving blood splatters on the ground. Special moves are impactful. Boss battles are exciting - a few of them rival Shadow of the Colossus battles in terms of epic scale.

Nier is short. About 20-25 hours maybe.

I will give a shot. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom