• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

Just started Nier for the first time today, bought a used copy a couple years ago but never got around to it.

Loving it so far, story and characters are interesting, there's a shit-talkin book, combat is decent enough, it's got a lovable amount of jank to it.

Soundtrack is god-tier so far. I'd never listened to it before but I've seen it mentioned in a lot of VGM threads here and now I know why, fuckin beautiful.

Kinda mad at myself for waiting this long to play it, I can see myself getting way too into this game.

You're in for a ride. I'm really happy the music is unspoiled for you as it's breathtaking.

It only gets better!

crinale

Someone name is Saito Yosuke

He's a producer of Dragon Quest X, so he does some power I guess.
Actually Mr.Saito visiting E3 triggered light rumor in Japan that there would be some announcement regarding DQ at E3 (which didn't happen besides DQH).

Zukuu

Banned
Just started Nier for the first time today, bought a used copy a couple years ago but never got around to it.

Loving it so far, story and characters are interesting, there's a shit-talkin book, combat is decent enough, it's got a lovable amount of jank to it.

Soundtrack is god-tier so far. I'd never listened to it before but I've seen it mentioned in a lot of VGM threads here and now I know why, fuckin beautiful.

Kinda mad at myself for waiting this long to play it, I can see myself getting way too into this game.
Play "new game+". Oh for the love of god, play new game+. THAT'S where NieR actually becomes the masterpiece it is. You start at the halfway point of the game and you can finish it in just a few hours, so it's not hard to do, but so so rewarding.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You may think people are kidding, but they are being serious. Playing a single playthrough is paramount to playing 25% of the game in regards to everything there is to understand. It was the same with Drakengard

With all the praise for Taro, Okabe, and Platinum there is not nearly enough appreciation for the fact that Akihiko Mother Fucking Yoshida is doing the art.

I hope we get an art book special edition or something.

Also, with the tease of more info this Fall, does that mean Paris? Isn't that in October?

I hope at a smaller venue Sony will give an exclusive game like this its proper due.

5dXl0qx.jpg

lmfao
I want to imagine Yoko Taro is just gonna walk around the entire duration of the expo wearing that thing

People who missed the interview, it starts around 4:57 http://www.twitch.tv/squareenixpresents/v/6281654

Very much worth a watch, it is a great discussion. They also show parts of the dev team.

Quick and dirty summary:

- Game plays in the Nier universe but will not have any characters from the previous game.
- Game will probably have some type of genre mix again like in the first game, but they don't want to just copy it. Is very much an RPG and they are debating if they should include a text adventure element again
- Game will have a flashy battle system with depth to it, designed by Platinum Games. Will not be a hardcore action game to not turn off RPG fans.
- As the previous game has a lot of female fans, they want to make it accessible enough and not too difficult, so they can manage. (lol) Still want to offer enough challenge for hardcore fans though.
- Debating whether they should include difficulty settings
- Game might have similar surprises like the
save delete
feature in the first game
- No general tone or theme, Yoko Toro freeflows in creativity like in the first title.
- Main character was designed to have dark colors.
- Kinda spoilerish concerning ending(s):
Yoko considers a happy end this time, but the producer wonders how this should be possible when reading the script (lol)
- Might include some remixed music from the first game

I do hope they add difficulty options or at least stronger optional fights.

Difficulty options with this game being made by Platinum is going to get me doing multiple NG+'s even if it doesn't have multiple endings =X

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's funny is I was just watching the GameCenter CX with Inaba on it before he showed up for the conference.

That dude has not aged nor changed his hairstyle ever.

Gbraga

Still not finished with the interview, but holy fucking shit the thought just crossed my mind when he mentioned "not exactly the same so it doesn't get stale, but I do want to make something similar when it comes to the ending": They're gonna delete our trophies, aren't they?

Glad to read they won't make a hardcore action game. I'm more interested in the rpg part. As to the female audience comment, jesus that's gonna rustle some jimmies.

Any comment if the teaser character is the protag?

Armaly

For those that want a copy of Nier Gamestop did a reprint last November. They have it listed as preowned but the discs are spotless and it includes the manual. Only thing is they didn't shrink wrap it.

Gbraga

Well, the way it was actually said wasn't THAT bad, because they pretty much also put JRPG fans in that "not good enough to play Platinum's games" package, but still, it's a silly thing.

Eh, whatever, not a big deal imo, wasn't meant to be offensive, even if misguided. On the contrary, even though it's a questionable view, what he wanted to say was actually "we got your back, thank you for the support".

Not that it justifies it, but... I dunno, I'm clearly biased.

Taro just doesn't realize that the ladies of the west rock shit straight up gangsta-like.

My wife makes a habit of 100%ing games that I can barely get through. Sometimes she doesn't even mock me over it. Sometimes.

Well, the way it was actually said wasn't THAT bad, because they pretty much also put JRPG fans in that "not good enough to play Platinum's games" package, but still, it's a silly thing.

Eh, whatever, not a big deal imo, wasn't meant to be offensive, even if misguided. On the contrary, even though it's a questionable view, what he wanted to say was actually "we got your back, thank you for the support".

Not that it justifies it, but... I dunno, I'm clearly biased.

Yeah, I don't think we should make a big deal out of it.

Glad to read they won't make a hardcore action game. I'm more interested in the rpg part. As to the female audience comment, jesus that's gonna rustle some jimmies.

Any comment if the teaser character is the protag?

Sounds like the kind of thing that's innocent in nature and/or intention but will be construed in a manner that creates as much drama as possible.

Alebrije

For me this game being exclusive for PS4 is more a Megaton compared to other games shown. The Nier story and how the world ended as it is , is a great tale about change and surviving. just hope the new game has the charming and style that Nier had on PS3/360.

I don't think people can make a deal out of it.

Then again people are ignoring the fact Shenmue 3 is being made to complain about Sony and Kickstarter.

We should focus on the fact we're getting Nier 2.

Gbraga

Taro just doesn't realize that the ladies of the west rock shit straight up gangsta-like.

My wife makes a habit of 100%ing games that I can barely get through. Sometimes she doesn't even mock me over it. Sometimes.

Hmmm, I don't know enough about japanese female gamers to say if the west vs east dynamic might be the reason for his view, but it definitely makes sense.

My experience definitely supports your own, I didn't really have many "hardcore gamer" friends in real life (which is probably the reason I got into games forums in the first place), off the top of my head, I'd say I had three friends during high school who were really into games, and two of them were indeed women.

Btw, it wasn't Taro who said this, it was Saito. :p

im amazed that Platinum Games is involved even!

The moment they showed Platinum's name I already went nuts, then the art made me scream IT'S CRY ON! Then the rest of the staff was slowly revealed and I was already far too gone. When Nier's name appeared, I had to question if I was even alive. Such an incredible announcement just couldn't be true.

I don't think people can make a deal out of it.

Then again people are ignoring the fact Shenmue 3 is being made to complain about Sony and Kickstarter.

We should focus on the fact we're getting Nier 2.

Considering people couldn't understand a mistranslated tweet from Swery and started shitting on the guy for that... Yeah, people would make a big deal out of it.

I'm really interested in this. I've never played Nier but I've played Drakengard 3. That game was janky as hell but the world was really interesting. With Platinum developing this game performance will not be an issue. I'd like to play Nier first but the only problem is Nier is really hard to find, its not even on the PSN store. So people who've played Nier, you think its perfectly fine watching an LP of it or do you absolutely recommend playing it myself?

biteren

The moment they showed Platinum's name I already went nuts, then the art made me scream IT'S CRY ON! Then the rest of the staff was slowly revealed and I was already far too gone. When Nier's name appeared, I had to question if I was even alive. Such an incredible announcement just couldn't be true.

i got out of my chair and danced lol, im so happy PS4 finally got its PG exclusive!

He's a producer of Dragon Quest X, so he does some power I guess.
Actually Mr.Saito visiting E3 triggered light rumor in Japan that there would be some announcement regarding DQ at E3 (which didn't happen besides DQH).

Was legitimately expecting this to be the "Big" one for E3, not the FF7 Remake. (Which still boggles the mind and defies my wildest dreams.)

On hindsight, DQ has always been a Japan priority property, so a TGS showing would make more sense.

Gbraga

I'm really interested in this. I've never played Nier but I've played Drakengard 3. That game was janky as hell but the world was really interesting. With Platinum developing this game performance will not be an issue. I'd like to play Nier first but the only problem is Nier is really hard to find, its not even on the PSN store. So people who've played Nier, you think its perfectly fine watching an LP of it or do you absolutely recommend playing it myself?

Hmmm, I think there might be some interest from Square-Enix to rerelase the first game on PS4, even if it's a half assed job at 720p and 30fps, just so more people can get into the franchise. Perhaps even a White Knight Chronicles II / Bayonetta 2 deal, where you get the first game for free when purchasing the second?

If we have a date, it's near and we still don't have any news on the remaster, then you could go after that LP. It's not going anywhere, and playing it yourself is definitely more than worth it. It's not a janky mess like the first Drakengard, it's actually an enjoyable game. Though a youtuber you really enjoy could enhance the experience for you. I enjoyed the Endurance Run of Persona 4 almost as much as my first playthrough, same goes for Best Friends Play *insert any game I love here*.

I still need to play Drakengard 3, pre-ordered it the moment the pre-order went up but still didn't find time for it. I guess now with this announcement I'll make time.

And damn, now that I talk about it, a White Knight Chronicles III on PS4 would be pretty sweet.

i got out of my chair and danced lol, im so happy PS4 finally got its PG exclusive!

And it's the best one it could possibly be!

I truly can't believe what I'm about to type, but PS4 actually got a better (or should I say, potentially better) exclusive than Bayonetta 2. I didn't think that was possible at all. Bayo and Vanquish are on a tier of their own compared to the rest of Platinum's output, imo.

Platinum X Taro X Okabe X Yoshida making Nier is the dream project I didn't even dream of, it's so nuts I truly never could possibly wish that on my craziest dreams.

Does anyone know the name of the song in the trailer?

Song of the Ancients

Kinda hope they will make this 60fps. Platinum might push for it. Doesnt need to look amazing, some decent textures would already go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom