• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chifanpoe

HAHAH just watched that, what a great reaction. Even better if you have the YouTube CC on...

haha-nier_zpsv6ueydg7.jpg

Golnei

Is it known by now she's an android? She didn't seem like it to me.

People are probably making assumptions off the android/human/machine thing; combined with the shutter sound her eyes make as they open - though it's nowhere near conclusive, and could easily be intended as misdirection. It seems reasonable to guess that the three playable characters we've been told about correspond to those three categories, but which ones they are is up for debate, and bringing
Gestalts and Replicants
into it complicates things further; even disregarding what the accurate terms for Emil, Halua and the Grimoires would be.

Speaking of which, I hope Wesker has a cameo in this somewhere.

Irobot82

Not sure if it was posted yet or not but Emi Evan's posted on twitter that she's returning for vocals on the soundtrack.

edit: Sorry I completely missread that tweet.

ERMint13

I'm interested in this game and never got to play the original. This game is pricey haha.

Amazon has it new for $40. Ebay prices are all over....

I'm wondering if Nier will get a digital release on PS4 before the sequel.

Gbraga

I'm interested in this game and never got to play the original. This game is pricey haha.

Amazon has it new for $40. Ebay prices are all over....

I'm wondering if Nier will get a digital release on PS4 before the sequel.

I hope so!

Funny how my first instinct was to complete that sentence with "but I don't think it's very likely".

We're in a Nier 2 thread, everything's likely.

Not sure if it was posted yet or not but Emi Evan's posted on twitter that she's returning for vocals on the soundtrack.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OMFGGGGGGGGGG

I hate to be this hyped about anything but god damn game of the generation confirmed.

Seyavesh

i wonder if they're gonna get eir aoi again
apparently shes a crazy huge fan of drakengard series stuff which is how she got roped into doing the main theme of drakengard 3

like, "was able to finish the final mission of drakengard 1 on stream in one try" levels of crazy fan... (supposedly? never saw it myself)

ShinMaruku

This is probably #3 on my list after DMC5 and NG4.

I can't wait to see what they make this lass does. I hope they give her a bum too.

Reveirg

She doesn't say that. She only says she's happy it'a being made.

On Facebook, she specifically says she hasn't been asked to participate yet, though she hints it's likely they'll ask her to.

Darksol

After the Holy Trinity being announced I didn't think there would be anything which could even remotely grab my attention. Then SE announced Nier.

I'm still in shock.

Fou-Lu

Kainé masturbating after killing shades, ok, I can go with that, it was an interesting side story, not to mention super hot
aPg9e4u.png
, but stuff like fucking a corpse is very close to being 3edgy5me. If that kind of stuff was in the game, I'm not sure I would be able to fall in love with it as much as I did, and then be able to deal with all the crazy stuff because I'm already invested in that world.

I had managed to forget about this! Why did you have to remind me. I can never look at Kaine the same.

Golnei

I feel that the revenue from the multiple Nier OSTs surpasses the sales of the actual game (I'm
half
joking). :p
I'd be more surprised if she wasn't involved, even if it's only a song or two.

As well as Drakengard 3, apparently she performed on a fairly good soundtrack MONACA were contracted to produce for a nondescript magical girl anime; so I don't see how it's anywhere near likely for anything involving Nier and Okabe to not include her if they're still regularly working together.

Sera O

Banned
I don't think that dude can make an all-ages game.

I hope that dude can't make an all-ages game.

I wouldn't be too worried. Nier came off as the work of people with very dark sensibilities trying to do a mass-appeal shounen manga adventure. They could probably make an E rated game that traumatizes us all just with subtext alone.

Astarte

by far. It's the only one nobody had ever anticipated. In fact it was such a remote possibility due to Cavia breaking up that nobody asked for it because we knew there was zero fucking chance.

Drakengard 3 still happened with Cavia's disappearance, so there was always a remote possibility.

jonjonaug

by far. It's the only one nobody had ever anticipated. In fact it was such a remote possibility due to Cavia breaking up that nobody asked for it because we knew there was zero fucking chance.

I asked for a Yoko Taro game on the Square Enix poll a little while back, there's certainly been fan demand for a followup and it's not like Square Enix has ever pretended it doesn't exist either. If you follow Yoko Taro on twitter it's been obvious he's been working on sonething (although you wouldn't have been able to figure out the scope). Not saying you should have expected literally Nier, but honestly it's not THAT shocking to see IMO.

Still is a very, very exciting announcememt though, far more than anything else at E3 besides maybe "Star Fox out soon".

fvng

That's what I was meaning when I said only do side quests if you want to do them for purposes of the story. As in if you want to see more witty banter along the way. If you want to help someone out in the town. The minute one of them sounds like a pain in the ass to do, don't worry about that one.

my point is, even the pain in the ass ones are redeemed by the fact that you get to listen to great banter between the characters

Drakengard 3 still happened with Cavia's disappearance, so there was always a remote possibility.

I asked for a Yoko Taro game on the Square Enix poll a little while back, there's certainly been fan demand for a followup. If you follow Yoko Taro on twitter it's been obvious he's been working on sonething (although you wouldn't have been able to figure out the scope). Not saying you should have expected literally Nier, but honestly it's not THAT shocking to see IMO..

definitely very exciting, but the other reason why this didn't cross anyone's mind is because the first Nier wasn't a huge commercial success. It's not common for publishers to finance games that only have small cult followings, no matter how well received it is.

RangerBAD

Sort of worries me when they said they were simplifying the combat system from what Platinum usually tries to do. I want sick boss fights and a rewarding combat system.

jonjonaug

my point is, even the pain in the ass ones are redeemed by the fact that you get to listen to great banter between the characters
I did the flower quest without messing with the system clock and I don't regret it.

If there isn't at least a few "fuck completionists" things in this game I'll be disappointed.

I wonder if someone at SE just likes Yoko Taro... I mean, I can't imagine either Drakengard game sell enough to warrant sequels, let alone the spin off and a third game.

And I don't know who or what is getting these games made, but thank god SE is not stopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom