• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if someone at SE just likes Yoko Taro... I mean, I can't imagine either Drakengard game sell enough to warrant sequels, let alone the spin off and a third game.

And I don't know who or what is getting these games made, but thank god SE is not stopping.

That's how I feel. Whoever the guy that keeps pushing for new Drakengard/Nier, I love you.

Astarte

I wonder if someone at SE just likes Yoko Taro... I mean, I can't imagine either Drakengard game sell enough to warrant sequels, let alone the spin off and a third game.

And I don't know who or what is getting these games made, but thank god SE is not stopping.

Yoko Taro can make do with low budgets and he has a cult following. Squeenix allowing him to make relatively low budget games gives them e-cred with the niche crowd.
That and Taro works on whatever mobile game that Squeenix tells him to work on, so he's reliable.

Seyavesh

iirc the CEO of square enix (maybe former ceo now? someone high up) loves yoko taro's work and is basically the #1 reason why he continually gets work despite constantly producing insane pieces of work that don't really sell or review well

edit:
yoichi wada, the former CEO of square (2000-2013) is the guy i'm talking about
he definitely does not work for square anymore

so i have no fucking idea how this even EXISTS except yoko taro is an actual dark sorcerer

As well as Drakengard 3, apparently she performed on a fairly good soundtrack MONACA were contracted to produce for a nondescript magical girl anime; so I don't see how it's anywhere near likely for anything involving Nier and Okabe to not include her if they're still regularly working together.

Yuki Yuna. The soundtrack for that was pretty good. The MONACA touch was immediately noticeable.

Yoko Taro can make do with low budgets and he has a cult following. Squeenix allowing him to make relatively low budget games gives them e-cred with the niche crowd.
That and Taro works on whatever mobile game that Squeenix tells him to work on, so he's reliable.
Ooooh, I didn't know that last bit. Interesting...

iirc the CEO of square enix (maybe former ceo now? someone high up) loves yoko taro's work and is basically the #1 reason why he continually gets work despite constantly producing insane pieces of work that don't really sell or review well
Wada? Damn...

But yeah, it would make sense, specially since the games are not very expensive either.

Kanann

Someone name is Saito Yosuke

Maybe the project did do well. Its a cult hit and they can see there's potential.

Seyavesh

this appears to be correct, this article that just came out confirms that it's basically another pet project i guessl:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/n...had-6-months-to-impress-or-we-would-scrap-it/

also lol
“As far as your question about new and core gamers, with core gamers it’s very difficult,” Yoko told GamesBeat. “It’s such a unique vision, a unique world view. It’s a pretty niche sort of core, in a sense. As far as garnering new players, I’m not great at making games that draw new players. If I were, the last game would have done amazingly well. As far as that kind of stuff, I don’t spend much time thinking about it. I just try to make my vision come true.”

Holy shit it is impossible to find a cheap PS3 copy of Nier in the west. What the fuck happened there? Played the demo of this years back and loved it, also listened to the soundtrack tons of times, but never got around to actually getting it. Seems i'm wayy too late for that :( I just wanna play it before this one is out.

Ohwell, maybe they'll release it on PSN someday.

Maybe the project did do well. Its a cult hit and they can see there's potential.
I sure hope so... If there's one IP SE owns that deserves to be up there in sales it is definitely NieR.
this appears to be correct, this article that just came out confirms that it's basically another pet project i guessl:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/17/n...had-6-months-to-impress-or-we-would-scrap-it/

also lol
Hah, okay, that explains it. More power to Saito then, and good luck to Taro with drawing new players =P

Holy shit it is impossible to find a cheap PS3 copy of Nier in the west. What the fuck happened there? Played the demo of this years back and loved it, also listened to the soundtrack tons of times, but never got around to actually getting it. Seems i'm wayy too late for that :( I just wanna play it before this one is out.

GAMESTOP
i got a copy earlier today for 7.99 with my card+a coupon

Golnei

Sort of worries me when they said they were simplifying the combat system from what Platinum usually tries to do. I want sick boss fights and a rewarding combat system.

I hope they were only referring to it being 'simplified' by comparison to the relative complexity (for an ARPG) of mechanics such as dodge offset. The MGR/Bayonetta perfect parry would probably still be a simple enough mechanic to include, and the dial-a-combo setup probably isn't going away given its omnipresence in Platinum's output. Regardless of what they do, it should still be well-animated and satisfying, but it'd be a massive disappointment to contract Platinum to merely remake Nier's existing system.

It'll be interesting to see how the multiple playable characters fit into this, as well. They could simply use similar mechanics to each other - as with Balder and Bayonetta, Sam and Raiden and most of the Anarchy Reigns characters within a given weight class - but providing each with a varying degree of mechanical depth and accessibility might be a way to allow people to play the game as more of a RPG or action game. Though automatic modes exist for a reason...

SephLuis

back from gamestop
i have Nier now
btw can i skip the DLC?

Make a LTTP later, will you ?
Love to hear impressions from first time players.

yoichi wada, the former CEO of square (2000-2013) is the guy i'm talking about
he definitely does not work for square anymore

so i have no fucking idea how this even EXISTS except yoko taro is an actual dark sorcerer

I am okay with this. More Yoko Taro games for all.

Gbraga

definitely very exciting, but the other reason why this didn't cross anyone's mind is because the first Nier wasn't a huge commercial success. It's not common for publishers to finance games that only have small cult followings, no matter how well received it is.

And it wasn't well received, let's not forget that! They had to convince the suits that there was a loyal fanbase for it, even if it didn't sell a lot and received mediocre reviews.

No wonder it didn't get greenlit by the previous boss dude.

EDIT: Oh, so Wada loved his work, huh? That definitely explains why Drakengard 3 even existed, but that wasn't nearly as much of a shock as this is.

Sort of worries me when they said they were simplifying the combat system from what Platinum usually tries to do. I want sick boss fights and a rewarding combat system.

I take simplified as just not tons of air combos with jump cancels and shit, not turning it into DMC, basically.

MGR is already simplified compared to something like Bayonetta, it focuses on being effective rather than flashy.

Yeah, I was stupid enough to sell both my PS3 and X360 copies. Re-bought the 360 version for 30€ now.

Zomba13

It's the runs/looks the same on both consoles. I think you might have to install Nier to get load times that match the PS3's though.

That's good and yeah I plan to install it. Heard good thing about the game and how weird the story can be but I never jumped on it. Now seems like a good time with a sequel announced that Platinum is working on.

EdmondD

I felt pretty damn emotional during the reveal. It was actually very strange I didn't expect to feel so strongly for this game. Something about the music and the fond memories I had of the first game made me feel a melancholic joy. It reminded me of the feelings I had playing Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 when I was younger. This was the biggest announcement for me during what was one of the most legendary E3s. No one expected to this game was getting made. We all thought Nier was dead and buried. I'm so glad to be wrong.

wmlk

Okabe has not reached out to Emi Evans yet but they plan on getting her back for the sequel.

They literally haven't asked her yet, they said they're afraid she might turn them down.

Striek

One of 2 or 3 games I platinumed on PS3. I freaking loved Nier.

I worry that it has the stink of Platinum attached to it. I am one of the only people on this planet that do not particularly enjoy their combat systems (would prefer Nier's very basic systems over most) and definitely have not enjoyed their method of storytelling in any game.

I hope S-E keeps a tight, tight, tight leash on them.

Also it will be a travesty if we don't get the same VAs and music director. So, soooooo good.

RangerBAD

And it wasn't well received, let's not forget that! They had to convince the suits that there was a loyal fanbase for it, even if it didn't sell a lot and received mediocre reviews.

No wonder it didn't get greenlit by the previous boss dude.

EDIT: Oh, so Wada loved his work, huh? That definitely explains why Drakengard 3 even existed, but that wasn't nearly as much of a shock as this is.

I take simplified as just not tons of air combos with jump cancels and shit, not turning it into DMC, basically.

MGR is already simplified compared to something like Bayonetta, it focuses on being effective rather than flashy.

Yeah, I should be focusing of what kind of game it's going to be (action RPG) and not what it isn't (character action game).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I do recall journalists raking Nier over hot coals(especially cause of the minigames, i forget which website that rage quitted and gave the game a 1 because he could not complete fishing)

But on the flipside, i do remember many journalists, praising the art deco, music, atmosphere, characters and story(a few reviewers even going as far as to say it was one of the greatest stories ever in gaming)

So there obviously was something there that the cult fans of Yoko Taro's games like myself saw that SE also saw and wanted to keep investing in for whatever purpose they might have.

My issue was that everything except the technical polish and actual gameplay was there in full effect. Nier got very close to being decent, but Drakengard 1 was basically just a mediocre dynasty warriors clone and Drakengard 3 was just a jank repetitive mess AND a technical mess as well..

So Platinum coming in and actually giving that sturdy backbone to the 'franchise' that Cavia and someone like Access games could not give is something very excited.

Seyavesh

5dXl0qx.jpg

lmfao

Usobuko

Banned
One of 2 or 3 games I platinumed on PS3. I freaking loved Nier.

I worry that it has the stink of Platinum attached to it. I am one of the only people on this planet that do not particularly enjoy their combat systems (would prefer Nier's very basic systems over most) and definitely have not enjoyed their method of storytelling in any game.

I hope S-E keeps a tight, tight, tight leash on them.

Also it will be a travesty if we don't get the same VAs and music director. So, soooooo good.

We get the same music director, Keiichi Okabe is back for this project.

As for the combat and storytelling itself, this post by Seyavesh should put your mind at ease. It's a gamespot articule that show more insight on the collaboration between the two parties.

platinumed on PS3. I freaking loved Nier.

Same here. Some of those trophies were ridiculous. I still have nightmares of the gardening. :lol

I love this guy.

I do recall journalists raking Nier over hot coals(especially cause of the minigames, i forget which website that rage quitted and gave the game a 1 because he could not complete fishing)

Some hack at Joystick did this because he was not able to follow a red cross on the map.

BouncyFrag

I've been playing Nier again today. The graphics are plain but the finishing magic spells look great and the music is timeless. The book got mad at me for accepting fetch quests and I just got fucked up by a boar, lol

Fantomas

Just started Nier for the first time today, bought a used copy a couple years ago but never got around to it.

Loving it so far, story and characters are interesting, there's a shit-talkin book, combat is decent enough, it's got a lovable amount of jank to it.

Soundtrack is god-tier so far. I'd never listened to it before but I've seen it mentioned in a lot of VGM threads here and now I know why, fuckin beautiful.

Kinda mad at myself for waiting this long to play it, I can see myself getting way too into this game.

Nah he's just determined to induce it in others

I don't know. He's very consistent with the whole not going on camera for interviews thing, regardless of venue. And in none of his interviews does he come off as sly or snarky or trollish.

I believe he doesn't WANT to be the face of his games, but would prefer they speak for themselves.

Cornbread78

Just started Nier for the first time today, bought a used copy a couple years ago but never got around to it.

Loving it so far, story and characters are interesting, there's a shit-talkin book, combat is decent enough, it's got a lovable amount of jank to it.

Soundtrack is god-tier so far. I'd never listened to it before but I've seen it mentioned in a lot of VGM threads here and now I know why, fuckin beautiful.

Kinda mad at myself for waiting this long to play it, I can see myself getting way too into this game.

Oh yeah, enjoy it (4 times). The combat gets better as you level up.

I need to go back and get the C&D endings, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom