• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerulily

After seeing that interview, I wonder if he enjoys working with Platinum? Given their pedigree for violent action titles, would he be frustrated with a more action-oriented game?

I doubt it. Taro Yoko doesn't give any f***s about gameplay (he has said so himself). I am positive that as long as the story is intact, he is more than willing to give the actual mechanics design to someone.

Seyavesh

I still think literally the only downside is that Yoshida is too amazing and classy an artist to do something especially nutty like put a flower in someone's eyeball, like the Drakengard 3 designer did.

i had to look up who that was after seeing 'what' and turns out it's the guy who did the FFT, vagrant story and tactics ogre artwork

yeah that's gonna be real interesting seeing how his style translates to the wacky world of yoko taro

Gbraga

After seeing that interview, I wonder if he enjoys working with Platinum? Given their pedigree for violent action titles, would he be frustrated with a more action-oriented game?

He said they were somewhat worired that it would be too much of an action game, since it's Platinum, but Platinum (especially the younger staff) are actually fans of Nier and they really understand the kind of game it is, so he said we don't have to worry about it. It'll be Nier, just more refined, especially when it comes to the combat.

Soriku

I looked at the press releases and while neither World of Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy VII use the word exclusive, this one does, so I suspect there's actually some kind of deal in place.

Or they just don't see the incentive to put it anywhere but PS4, similar to how Drakengard 3 was only on PS3.

Hektor

Or they just don't see the incentive to put it anywhere but PS4, similar to how Drakengard 3 was only on PS3.

The main reason why D3 became a PS3 title were budget constraints. They couldnt afford PS4-Devkits let alone the manpower to port this game to other platforms.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/06/dra...or-next-gen-promises-something-new-this-year/

I dont know how since I only own a PS4.

:(

Does that man you got rid of the platform you played Nier on? Then you deserve it. :p

Nier it's normal as fuck compared to Drakengard 1. I guess that's why its story is so beloved. It's got the good of Taro without the full crazyness of D1.
Nier story really isn't that weird, unless you explore the stuff from Grimoire Nier.

A primer for anyone wanting to get into Drakengard. Some vague spoilers that don't really give the details of the events:

nxeRZgr.png

It's not even joking or exaggerating about the descriptions of things and characters in it. Your party members are an actual pedophile and cannibal. And the game isn't you playing the bad guys or villeins.

fvng

The main reason why D3 became a PS3 title were budget constraints. They couldnt afford PS4-Devkits let alone the manpower to port this game to other platforms.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/06/dra...or-next-gen-promises-something-new-this-year/

Does that man you got rid of the platform you played Nier on? Then you deserve it. :p

Ugh I have a high tolerance for sub par frame rates but there were times D3 turned into a slide show. Slim chance but I feel D3 should be ported. The frame rates were so bad I couldn't finish the game

fvng

Show Square Enix some thanks and preorder this!! Amazon only charges your card when it ships so don't worry about being short on cash now.

A preorder is a show of support for Nier

nXX2klv.jpg

This is actually true. Fuck that section. The tutorial happens by a fishing spot so I go "okay I'll fish here". Then after like 2 hours of rage, salt and determination, I then saw there was a marker on the map...

That fishing section is no joke.

Do you work for Joystick?

FoxSpirit

A primer for anyone wanting to get into Drakengard. Some vague spoilers that don't really give the details of the events:

nxeRZgr.png

It's not even joking or exaggerating about the descriptions of things and characters in it. Your party members are an actual pedophile and cannibal. And the game isn't you playing the bad guys or villeins.
Ahahahahaha.
I must play this. In secret.

Well, this will probably fix the worst parts about Nier. Except the story. Not sure who in the match up is supposed to be taking care of that. Either way, it'll probably be better than the first game.

Edit: Unless they are keeping the original director? Nier had an interesting and emotional support but it was totally smothered by awful dissemination of important information. They is what needs to be fixed most of all.

cj_iwakura

Well, this will probably fix the worst parts about Nier. Except the story. Not sure who in the match up is supposed to be taking care of that. Either way, it'll probably be better than the first game.

Edit: Unless they are keeping the original director? Nier had an interesting and emotional support but it was totally smothered by awful dissemination of important information. They is what needs to be fixed most of all.

The game’s staff is as follows:

Director: Yoko Taro

Without him, it wouldn't be Nier.

Because he's the vision behind it. Would you play The Last Guardian without Ueda? Bloodstained without Igarashi?
If he is unable to execute in a satisfactory manner, maybe he should have a more consultative role. It seemed to me that the execution of Nier's story was a detriment to communication of its vision. Put another way, even with combat fixed, do I want to play another game so bad at communicating vital information to its narrative? No. I don't care who or what needs to be changed to fix that, but it needs to be fixed.

I can think of plenty of times where I wish the creator of a good idea recognized their own weaknesses and let someone fill in those gaps. Having a vision doesn't make you infallible and tons of amazing ideas have been ruined by poor execution.

cj_iwakura

If he is unable to execute in a satisfactory manner, maybe he should have a more consultative role. It seemed to me that the execution of Nier's story was a detriment to communication of its vision. Put another way, even with combat fixed, do I want to play another game so bad at communicating vital information to its narrative? No. I don't care who or what needs to be changed to fix that, but it needs to be fixed.

I can think of plenty of times where I wish the creator of a good idea recognized their own weaknesses and let someone fill in those gaps. Having a vision doesn't make you infallible and tons of amazing ideas have been ruined by poor execution.

Well, that' s all subjective. I loved Drakengard 1, 3, and Nier. I wouldn't have it any other way but with him at the helm.

well, sometimes it's drakengard 2
hurk

Yoko Taro didn't direct that game and had little input on it as he had creative differences with the director Akira Yasui. This little blurb from wiki sums it up pretty nicely.

Akira Yasui, the game's director, and Taro Yoko, who had directed the original game, suffered from creative differences, with the result that Yoko termed their relationship on the project as a "love-hate" story in a 2013 interview concerning the series. Their relationship inspired one of the stories created for an in-game weapon. Yoko was also not as involved in creating the narrative as he had been in Drakengard, being mostly tied up with another project. One of the decisions Yasui made was to make Drakengard 2 far more colorful than the previous game, wanting to do something that was the "opposite" of Drakengard. The initial concept Yoko created for the game was a space adventure involving dragons, but this was vetoed at an early stage. Yoko's job was as the game's video editor.

In contrast to the previous game, the game contained far less of the mature themes found in the original. Shiba, speaking in a 2013 interview, said that the reason for this was that Square Enix, the company's Japanese publisher, wanted that aspect toned down to make a more mainstream game.

Yoko Taro's games are essentially reflections of his thoughts. He talks about this especially in the Drakengard 3 pre-release interview. In other words, the greatest aspects of his games that people like come from him. Drakengard 2 is what you get when you put someone with different ideas in the director role.

Seyavesh

Yoko Taro didn't direct that game and had little input on it as he had creative differences with the director Akira Yasui. This little blurb from wiki sums it up pretty nicely.

Yoko Taro's games are essentially reflections of his thoughts. He talks about this especially in the Drakengard 3 pre-release interview. In other words, the greatest aspects of his games that people like come from him. Drakengard 2 is what you get when you put someone with different ideas in the director role.

that's what i meant by answering "a yoko taro game without yoko taro" with drakengard 2
(aka dass da joke)

Baalzebup

nxeRZgr.png

Hahah, that is the best summary of Drakengard I've read so far. Brilliant, really.

I'm sure its been mentioned a dozen times but after listening to it a million times, its awesome how the ending of the website music is almost note for note the Song of the Ancients.

PirateKing

nxeRZgr.png

That description is great but it missed the part about his sister wants to bone him hard. Wasn't it sort of censored in West?

Akhe

nxeRZgr.png

LOL Bravo!!

PirateKing

Don't forget the part where he killed all those children.
That part was amazing. I've never killed kids in games before and it made it so much more impact and I knew they were forced to be soldiers as well. I could've not killed anyone but I did.

Nier spoilers*****
But killing the babies in NieR almost made me cry. Goddamnit.
A lot of people think it was, but as far as I'm aware it was handled the same in both English and Japanese versions.

I picked it up straight away but as far as I remember the Jap version was straight up about it.

I was kind of glad that I found out at least someone had the same problem. But at the same time I laughed because at least eventually I worked it out
I really wanted to like the game.

Yeah, you were definitely not the only one. :)

nxeRZgr.png

I know that the gameplay and tech are garbage, but fuck it. Just ordered Drakengard 3 from amazon.com. Can't go wrong for 20 bucks.

A lot of people think it was, but as far as I'm aware it was handled the same in both English and Japanese versions.

I may be wrong on this and its a pretty big spoiler so going to censor it but
I believe it (her love) is made more obvious in the scene where she kills herself in the JP version. Caim looking away disgusted from that fact is what causes her to stab herself, while in the English version it seems harder to reach that conclusion as her confession sounds more like her saying she just wanted to give up being the goddess of the seal and be a normal woman, not caring about the people that would die.

I know that the gameplay and tech are garbage, but fuck it. Just ordered Drakengard 3 from amazon.com. Can't go wrong for 20 bucks.

The image I posted was just relating to the first Drakengard. The second one was missing the greatness, and the only really good parts of it still involve the protagonist from the first game. Third game is all kinds of different.

Also as much as I love the first Drakengard, it isn't something I can rightfully recommend to anyone. It takes a lot of effort to get the goodness from the game and most people are just better off reading about it.

I believe it (her love) is made more obvious in the scene where she kills herself in the JP version. Caim looking away disgusted from that fact is what causes her to stab herself, while in the English version it seems harder to reach that conclusion as her confession sounds more like her saying she just wanted to give up being the goddess of the seal and be a normal woman, not caring about the people that would die.

The image I posted was just relating to the first Drakengard. The second one was missing the greatness, and the only really good parts of it still involve the protagonist from the first game. Third game is all kinds of different.

Also as much as I love the first Drakengard, it isn't something I can rightfully recommend to anyone. It takes a lot of effort to get the goodness from the game and most people are just better off reading about it.

Ah ok, thought it was about D3. Anyway, I have seen parts of a Let's Play, I know that the game has similar kinds of weird nonsense. :)

I've seen several people say that the Japanese version of that scene is just as vague as the English one, and that the English one is a faithful translation. I guess that could be wrong, who knows.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Thanks for playing!"

NEVER FORGET!!!!

I don't know how long i spent doing that goddamn timing mini game with the final boss in Drakengard 1

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Oh they definitely remembered.

Since D3 did it, i guess they knew what they were doing....

If they have remixed songs in this game, i hope they can put in "This Silence is Mine" from D3, just an amazing theme song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom