• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier 2 announced (Square Enix, Yoko Taro, Platinum Games, Akihiko Yoshida, PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I got it really cheap about 6 months after it was released (less than 20 euros), which isn't surprising considering it bombed.
At first I ignored it because of all the terrible reviews, then some people on another message board convinced me to give it a shot. It's definitely worth full price though it's not everyone's cup of tea. I honestly don't see a fan of ARPG's or even RPG's in general not liking this though.
I'm pretty sure I'll like it but I've heard plenty of people didn't like it so for now I'll wait it out and see if the price drops or they re-release it. I'd rather not play it right now anyway because if I really like it it's going to be torture waiting for Nier 2.

Golnei

What

What about Bayo 2, W101 and Reveangance made you not trust Platinum when it comes to performance?

TW101 barely hit 60 at all, Rising stuttered noticeably on consoles when objects were cut into enough pieces, and entire chapters of Bayonetta 2 hovered in the mid-40s. They tend to put spectacle before performance, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. As others have said, that philosophy will probably complement this game's presentation fairly well.

I fully trust Platinum, and at worst we'll get a game in the 40's when it comes to framerate, and let's not forget this is the PS4 which is way easier to develop than the last gen consoles.

TW101 barely hit 60 at all, Rising stuttered noticeably on consoles when objects were cut into enough pieces, and entire chapters of Bayonetta 2 hovered in the mid-40s. They tend to put spectacle before performance, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. As others have said, that philosophy will probably complement this game's presentation fairly well.
Still think it's bit hyperbole to say you don't trust them when it comes to performance, you could do way worse than Platinum.

Lothar

Banned
I want to try out Nier due to how highly it's recommended here, but the combat looks quite mediocre in my opinion.

I'm trying to find cheap copy for PS3, but I only can find late $30s and early $40s for a used copy :(

Even most that love it would say that the combat is. You're not playing this game for the combat.

I wish Nier would get released on PSN or even PC so I could actually play it, it's actually impossible for me to get this game for less than €50 and that's a bit much for a gamble :(

Hard to get excited for a sequel when I'm u able to play the prequel.

Depends on what you like the most about RPGs. If you see story and music as the highest priority like I do, then it's not much of a gamble. What are your favorite RPGs?

I actually feel bad that I was able to buy this game for $10 last year. They gave me one of my favorite games of the last 10 years and all I could give them was $10 in return.

Arizato

I actually feel bad that I was able to buy this game for $10 last year. They gave me one of my favorite games of the last 10 years and all I could give them was $10 in return.

Buy Drakengard 3 and the Sister story DLCs. If you enjoyed NieR there is a chance you might enjoy D3. The way the characters talk and how the story progresses is more similar to Nier than D1 and D2 in my opinion.

Vanguard

Well with the second game announced and my friend pressuring me to play it I finally got around to it, not put it down since I started playing last night (apart from some sleep of course). Still on my first playthrough mind, but I am excited!

Depends on what you like the most about RPGs. If you see story and music as the highest priority like I do, then it's not much of a gamble. What are your favorite RPGs?

Music and story are important but gameplay is also a huge reason I love RPGs. My favorite game ever is Xenoblade and recently Child of Light really impressed me as well.

Drakengard 2's story has numerous flaws, but the way how Caim, who I may remind some of you, was the protagonist of the first game, was turned into a slasher horror villain, was fucking inspirational. They really didn't change his character all that much either! Tormenting Manah is his lifelong mission

I like how he killed a guy that was physically immortal by swording him really hard. But yeah, Caim really was the best, and only good part, of two.

fvng

I bought 2 copies of NieR at $14.99 3 years ago, give one to a friend. Then I found out that I like the ost so much, I paid $30+ for it on playasia.

Sometimes life is like that, I missed out on Pikmin 3 and Folklore.

i bought two copies for myself (just because i found another pristine copy of the game and i wanted it) and bought another one for my friend. I've bought that game 3x

Moonkid

They really need Emi Evans with Okabe's music. If they can get Emi then I look forward to about 7 remix albums of this game's soundtrack.
To be honest I'm not that big on the remix albums. They're neat and some of them are pretty cleverly arranged but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them over the originals. They just need to re-release the original soundtrack in better quality. It's ridiculous how gultigar from YouTube can rip the audio from the game in higher quality.

cj_iwakura

To be honest I'm not that big on the remix albums. They're neat and some of them are pretty cleverly arranged but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them over the originals. They just need to re-release the original soundtrack in better quality. It's ridiculous how gultigar from YouTube can rip the audio from the game in higher quality.

I bought the DLC just for that remix of Song of the Ancients. So damn good.

Yeah, I won't mind the performance if it's like Bayo 2.

But then again, I'm not a performance freak (no offense), so I don't care really... I also play games made by Cavia, so I can't care.

Baalzebup

I like how he killed a guy that was physically immortal by swording him really hard. But yeah, Caim really was the best, and only good part, of two.

Not only that, but the immortal guy was actually banking on that, as his one true hope for death. It takes kind of a reputation to have an immortal guy think "You know, I think that guy could probably kill me anyway."

Gbraga

Maaan I want to replay this >_<

Why did I buy it on 360? Now I have the game but not the console >_<

S-E pls, remaster/pc version/just a psn release on PS3, I NEED IT.

biteren

I played it for the first time last year. I had no problems with it. It's a repetitive hack'n'slash with batshit insane music and writing.

i learned this along time ago back when i played it in high school, i think im just gonna jump to the good stuff (Nier)

Mawarup

Neo Member
Playing through the first game and I reached
The Barren Temple

When does the story pick up/get better? Its pretty bare bones right now.

It has been some time since I played it but I think I started really enjoying it when I got to
The Forest of Myth and The Haunted Mansion
which happen after the temple. And then after those areas is when you reach
the halfway point of the game
and events start going down from there on. Tagged since I wasn't sure if it was or wasn't

Xenus

I played it for the first time last year. I had no problems with it. It's a repetitive hack'n'slash with batshit insane music and writing.

My problem was the final final bossy fight in D1
Why the hell did my hack and slash become a rthymic button masher.
I never could quite beat it.

Oh man, I tried emulating Drakengard 1 on my laptop.

I can run FFXII no problem, but this game chugs super hard and barely hits 15fps =X

Cavia showing how to properly optimize a game since the PS2 era...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom