• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier (PS3) Reprint listing up on Square Enix Store

Wow. What weird timing. I literally just reached the halfway point in Nier 1 last night and decided the game wasn't for me and I am shelving it.

In all honesty, it has not aged well and after looking up the rest of the story online, I'm glad I haven't stuck with it. The only good thing I can say about this game is that the interactions / dynamics between the characters is really good. The conversations between Weiss and Nier felt natural and oftentimes hilarious.

Cramoss

Everyone interested on Automata must play this.

It destroyed my soul way more times than Automata, so expect that... lol

heringer

I was one of the few weirdos who actually enjoyed Nier's gameplay. It doesn't touch Automata's combat and exploration, though.

Story is better, however. Soooo good.

Dremorak

Banned
I found it at a random store for 10nzd (about 7usd) a couple of years ago. I was pretty stoked :D

Game is great, highly recommended

Tonyx

I think that, a little before Automata came out, they said that if Automata's sales were good enough they would have considered a Nier remaster.

I guess sales where good enough for a reprint but not for a remaster. :(

Too bad.

This is the last game on my list of PS3-disc-only-games-to-get and I would have loved to have it available digitally on PS4 instead.

WITHE1982

it should come with a box of tissues

giphy.gif

j/k I know what you mean. The game had a massive emotional impact on me. Some of the side stories (especially during route B) are heart wrenching.

Maybe time to sell my original PS3 copy while it's still worth a bit.

aadiboy

Why not put it on PSN?? Stupid rights issues?
It is annoying how Nier and other PS3 games were never put on PSN. I made a list, which is probably incomplete, of all the titles that are still physical only:

3D Dot Game Heroes
Dark Souls
Nier
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
Final Fantasy XIII
Folklore
God of War 3

Piccoro

Square would have to pay Sony royalties to have the game on the digital store.
It's much cheaper to reprint the Blu-ray discs and be done with it.

It is annoying how Nier and other PS3 games were never put on PSN. I made a list, which is probably incomplete, of all the titles that are still physical only:

3D Dot Game Heroes
Dark Souls
Nier
Final Fantasy XIII
Folklore
God of War 3

Yakuza 3

I'm really on the fence about rebuying this on PS3 (I played it on 360 back then). Disc only is a turn off, but more than anything, as much as I loved the writing, characters, music and art, I found the gameplay itself really mediocre.

Square would have to pay Sony royalties to have the game on the digital store.
It's much cheaper to reprint the Blu-ray discs and be done with it.

They have to pay Sony a license fee for the discs anyway. Although if this is only on Square Enix's own store, it may be cheaper than the 30% cut on PSN?

Erasus

3D Dot Game Heroes
Dark Souls
Nier
Final Fantasy XIII
Folklore
God of War 3

Add Enchanted Arms

KIRAKIRA

Banned
they need to remaster this, and remove the old guy and dub

if they would really put effort into it they could fix gameplay too somewhat

Taruranto

I hope this doesn't mean they are skipping on a PS4/PC Remaster, the game could use more exposure now that the name means something.

Meguro

Banned
A NieR remaster would be nice but Drakengard 3 is much more in need of one.
That game running at like a locked 30 or 60 would be incredible.

Jimrpg

Playasia also got copies last week. It was tempting but I'm happy to spend my money on the more recent PS4 games with the limited budget I have. Good move from SE I wish more companies reprint their games.

fvng

oh boy lots of automatons are gonna have a bad day with this

It's a step down in how refined mechanics but I find it hard to imagine that someone can fall in love with Automata and not want more even with its flaws.

A NieR remaster would be nice but Drakengard 3 is much more in need of one.
That game running at like a locked 30 or 60 would be incredible.

You can't patch out an unlikable protagonist

They own it outright

Not gonna happen

That's where you're wrong kiddo

I think that, a little before Automata came out, they said that if Automata's sales were good enough they would have considered a Nier remaster.

I guess sales where good enough for a reprint but not for a

I think they see new copies going for $45 and want a cut of that action but that has no bearing on if a remaster will happen (in my opinion)

Lifetime sales of Automata will determine that in my opinion

This is the cheapest way to get it currently. If you want to get it, then do it.

But after the success of Automata I'll be surprised if we don't get a port/remaster. I'll be in for a remaster as long as it adds Brother localised in English with dubbing and everything.

Edit: I'm glad I grabbed it for £8 when people didn't know what Nier was, can't believe the cheap option is now £25.

neoemonk

I got it from Gamestop used for like $12 back in January. No manual though. Worth checking on if you have a Gamestop nearby I suppose.

Edit: I see it's $30 now. Sucks.

I'd rather see it get remastered and make its way to PS4/XBO/PC. Makes more sense to me than reprinting and selling a PS3 game in 2017 or 2018. But financially I'm sure a reprint is cheaper than a remaster or a port so I guess I understand.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I disagree, and I played it right after launch and replayed it three months ago. Doesn't need a remake at all.

Yup, what people like(d) about the game wouldn't be improved by remastering. Also the localization job on the original Nier is so damn good (the best I can think of in any game, period) I'd be extremely wary of it getting tinkered with for any remake/remaster.

hank_tree

Yup, what people like(d) about the game wouldn't be improved by remastering. Also the localization job on the original Nier is so damn good (the best I can think of in any game, period) I'd be extremely wary of it getting tinkered with for any remake/remaster.

Just up the resolution/framerate and let me play it without having to get my PS3/360 down from the attic.Maybe include the soundtrack if SE are feeling really generous.

Top Bottom