• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1?

Nerevar said:
So you support developers releasing unfinished games and then patching them up via xbox live, and only via xbox live?

No one here does. This is why everyone is looking forward to this free downloadable content, because IT'S NOT A FUCKING PATCH, it's new enemies, added AI, and a different camera system for those who didn't like Ninja Gaiden's. And where does it say the only way to get this DLC is through Xbox Live? Don't jump the gun, son. If you thought Ninja Gaiden was an unfinished, crappy game why are you crying now? This shouldn't concern you if you think the game sucked originally.

Really, this is the dumbest argument ever. It'll be just like the PC market, except you have to pay MS for the "right" to download the patches to fix a game to completion.

It's free, it's not a patch, the DLC isn't fixing anything, it's adding new content, the game was completed. Stop fucking crying.

Cubsfan23

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
sad.gif

lol best gif ever

Tellaerin

Optimistic said:
No one here does. This is why everyone is looking forward to this free downloadable content, because IT'S NOT A FUCKING PATCH, it's new enemies, added AI, and a different camera system for those who didn't like Ninja Gaiden's.

If a download for a PC game were made available that improved rendering speed, camera control, and the A.I. code, it would be considered a fucking patch, as you put it. Not some euphemism like ''free downloadable content'. You're forgetting that not all patches are released to fix things that are broken; some (like this one) just improve performance in certain areas. Adding some new enemies doesn't change the fact that this is primarily a Ninja Gaiden patch, patching the game from version 1.0 to 1.1.

Mrbob

You can consider it a patch, but when it is stated that the 1.1 update is fixing the game to completion that is a flat out incorrect statement.

Having played both PS2 and Xbox online, $50 a year is peanuts. And coming from a pretty substantial online PC gamer I would pay $50 a year for a PC service similar to Xbox Live!

aaaaa0

Tellaerin said:
If a download for a PC game were made available that improved rendering speed, camera control, and the A.I. code, it would be considered a fucking patch, as you put it.

What? The rendering speed of NG hasn't been touched! It still runs at 60 fps. The increased gameplay speed means THE GAME IS HARDER -- enemies move and react to your attacks faster! It's not a technical patch, it's not fixing a problem with the existing game, it's increasing the difficulty level of the game when the game was already plenty difficult.

The AI code has been upgraded, not fixed! The existing AI was plenty hard already, but they added even smarter AI. Again this is not fixing a problem with the existing AI, the game has been made HARDER, even though the game currently is already plenty hard.

The camera control is the only thing you might have a point about.

The patch argument would fly if the AI were flawed in the first place. Just because they're making the game more difficult does not mean the game was broken.

Razoric

Banned
Tellaerin said:
If a download for a PC game were made available that improved rendering speed, camera control, and the A.I. code, it would be considered a fucking patch, as you put it. Not some euphemism like ''free downloadable content'. You're forgetting that not all patches are released to fix things that are broken; some (like this one) just improve performance in certain areas. Adding some new enemies doesn't change the fact that this is primarily a Ninja Gaiden patch, patching the game from version 1.0 to 1.1.

So what exactly are you arguing? The game was fine as it was... less buggy than MANY GC, PS2 and other XBOX games BTW. They are offering free fixes / new content for a game that was already considered, by many, near perfect and you are complaining? They could never release this 'patch' and no one would notice. So what would you rather have them do? Not release anything at all?

Pachinko

where abouts do you live Tellarin ? I'd be willing to part with one of the many xboxm discs that has that upgrade pack. Heck I'd only charge you mailing costs if you sent it back to me when you were finished. That is , if you don't live to far away.

Tellaerin

Mrbob said:
You can consider it a patch, but when it is stated that the 1.1 update is fixing the game to completion that is a flat out incorrect statement.

If it's stated that the 1.1 update is 'fixing the game to completion', it implies that the retail version isn't complete out of the box, which isn't cool.

Mrbob said:
And coming from a pretty substantial online PC gamer I would pay $50 a year for a PC service similar to Xbox Live!

So you'd rather voluntarily pay $50 a year for the sort of additional PC content that you can currently download for free? Microsoft must love you.

aaaaa0 said:
It's not a technical patch, it's not fixing a problem with the existing game, it's increasing the difficulty level of the game when the game was already plenty difficult.

Regardless of whether or not the patch is intended as a bugfix, it is still a patch. People seem to be trying to minimize that fact in order to defend MS, in the event they don't make the patch available outside of XBL. (Preemptive damage control?)

Mrbob said:
He has no real argument. Just bitching for the sake of bitching.

Oh, I have an argument alright. When you buy a console game, your $50 should entitle you to the best available version of that game. Not the 'pretty good for an unpatched copy, but you can get better if you subscribe to our online service' version. With PC games, patching is annoying, but still marginally acceptable--publishers don't force you to subscribe to some exclusive online service on top of your normal ISP fees in order to download patches and added content. If MS doesn't make this content available in some other fashion to those who can't (or won't) subscribe to Live, it's bullshit, plain and simple. (Just like the whole PSO thing was--while you're justifying things, feel free to explain to me what valid reason MS had for making PSO unplayable on the Xbox in offline mode if you're not a Live subscriber. The offline mode's perfectly playable on the Gamecube without a network adapter, so I'm sure it wasn't a technical issue on Sega's part that forced the change. More like a cheesy tactic to try to push people into getting Live subscriptions.)

BuddyC

Tellaerin said:
Oh, I have an argument alright. When you buy a console game, your $50 should entitle you to the best available version of that game. Not the 'pretty good for an unpatched copy, but you can get better if you subscribe to our online service' version. With PC games, patching is annoying, but still marginally acceptable--publishers don't force you to subscribe to some exclusive online service on top of your normal ISP fees in order to download patches and added content. If MS doesn't make this content available in some other fashion to those who can't (or won't) subscribe to Live, it's bullshit, plain and simple. (Just like the whole PSO thing was--while you're justifying things, feel free to explain to me what valid reason MS had for making PSO unplayable on the Xbox in offline mode if you're not a Live subscriber. The offline mode's perfectly playable on the Gamecube without a network adapter, so I'm sure it wasn't a technical issue on Sega's part that forced the change. More like a cheesy tactic to try to push people into getting Live subscriptions.)

You know what? That $50 I spent is entitling me to the best version of Ninja Gaiden.

Don't have an XB Live account? Get one! Any XBL title comes with a FREE 2 month subscription. Sign up, download your content, and cancel it.

God forbid anyone in the gaming industry should react to critcisms, eh?

As for PSO, your character was tied to your Xbox Live account. Why? Because in Japan, PSO came with Xbox Live, therefore, everyone that had PSO had Xbox Live.

Yes, the fact that this carried over into the domestic version was irresponsible. It's not like it was that hard to get around though.

I can't believe I even bothered to answer you.

Brannon

OH SHIT OH SHIT I am literally jumping up and down for this!

So the AI is going to be even smarter and more vicious... I can't fucking wait.

BRING IT THE FUCK ON!

This is a patch, how any of you could say otherwise is beyond me. Patches don't have to fix bugs. Look at StarCraft or WarCraft III or pratically ANY game from Blizzard. Those games get patches all the time and all they ever do is balance the gameplay aspects. They don't fix bugs, but they're still patches. This is the same idea. It's futzing around with the game, so it's a patch.

Edit: Also, people shouldn't be pissed off about this. It'll most likely be released on an OXM disc or something. I couldn't be happier. Maybe I'll actually try and finish the game now that I'll be able to control the camera the way I want to. The fact that anybody would be piseed off that a game was getting BETTER (through any means) is fucking stupid.

Mrbob

You have too many ifs attached to your posts.

IF THIS. IF THAT.

If it's stated that the 1.1 update is 'fixing the game to completion', it implies that the retail version isn't complete out of the box, which isn't cool.

How exactly is adding more choices fixing a game to completion. The game is fully playable as it is. There aren't any game crashing bugs. But then again this has been mentioned about 20 times already in this thread but it flew over your head.

So you'd rather voluntarily pay $50 a year for the sort of additional PC content that you can currently download for free? Microsoft must love you.

No, I didn't say that. I said a full fledged service like Xbox Live! Xfire is pretty close though for setting up games so I'd have to say I'm pretty content for now.

Oh, I have an argument alright. When you buy a console game, your $50 should entitle you to the best available version of that game. Not the 'pretty good for an unpatched copy, but you can get better if you subscribe to our online service' version.

How about the 'We released a damn fine GOTY candidate game and decided to give the fans some extra perks in appreciation for buying our product' version. Again, this will show up on the OXM disc eventually and you know it.

With PC games, patching is annoying, but still marginally acceptable--publishers don't force you to subscribe to some exclusive online service on top of your normal ISP fees in order to download patches and added content. If MS doesn't make this content available in some other fashion to those who can't (or won't) subscribe to Live, it's bullshit, plain and simple. (Just like the whole PSO thing was--while you're justifying things, feel free to explain to me what valid reason MS had for making PSO unplayable on the Xbox in offline mode if you're not a Live subscriber. The offline mode's perfectly playable on the Gamecube without a network adapter, so I'm sure it wasn't a technical issue on Sega's part that forced the change. More like a cheesy tactic to try to push people into getting Live subscriptions.)

First of all, I don't give a damn about PSO. Secondly, how MS handles PSO has nothing to do with Ninja Gaiden. Third, I highly doubt you'll find any arguments over MS handled PSO release. Finally, Ninja Gaiden was delayed for months on end to polish it up as much as possible so the whole "game is incomplete" doesn't fly. You want to talk about incomplete games, talk about Thief 3 which just had a patch released so that your save file doesn't automatically reset your difficulty back to normal on every reload. Talk about Warlord Battlecry III which is still waiting for patch to play online and on LAN properly. Talk about Chaos Legion for the PC which needed brand new discs sent out just to make the games playable. Talk about Farcry which needed a patch to fix its broken save system. Those are true game fix patches. If anything, you would have to consider Ninja Gaiden 1.1 a balance patch.

Meier

Btw, this game was NOT that hard although the added difficulty should prove interesting to see. Viewtiful JOE's was 100x more difficult IMO.

BuddyC

How long did MS promise content download over Xbox Live folks? Seriously now.

It may or may not show up on an OXM disc. I'd wager it does, but there may be technical limitations that prevent this (a la KOTOR).

Regardless, you're telling me that you're pissed off that people that pay a premium for an optional service get exclusive content, or at least, get the content first?

Fwiw, the version of NG that came out when the game was released was the best at the time.
This new stuff is cool too.
When NG came out and I played it I decided it was one of the best games I have played. I still feel that way. Todays games are so complex that there's ALWAYS room for improvement.

BuddyC

Think of it this way folks. Mike buys a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 for his PC.

Mike doesn't have internet access.

When a patch is released (featuring improvements and new levels), Mike has to buy the latest issue of PC Gamer to acquire said patch.

That's the same thing OXM has you do.

I, for one, encourage developers to improve upon their titles once released. This is some cool stuff - Itagaki listened to critcisms and changed the game accordingly. Furthermore, this update includes content to lengthen the title for those that have already mastered it. Regardless of how much you stuff in a title, there will always be those that master it and crave more. This is an incentive to keep playing, and actually gives players more bang for their buck.

Deku Tree

I'll buy a copy of OXM for NG1.1.
Will they give XBL an "exclusivity period" for this download?
How long do you think before they put it in OXM?

Mrbob

By the way Tellaerin, why do you buy or play any game then? This is no game on the market that is ever truly complete.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
BuddyChrist83 said:
Think of it this way folks. Mike buys a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 for his PC.

Mike doesn't have internet access.

When a patch is released (featuring improvements and new levels), Mike has to buy the latest issue of PC Gamer to acquire said patch.

That's the same thing OXM has you do.

Wow, LAME comparison!
Do I need to even go into what is wrong with that dribel?
Besides, who the heck with a nice PC does not at least have dial up?

And guess what, if I have a Xbox and Internet Access, thats not enough!
I need to pay MS too.

With the PC, all I need is internet access..

Oh, btw, Mike must not have friends with CD Burners who could easily burn the patch to give to Mike. I guess that option would not work cause mike has no friends.

BuddyC

Suikoguy said:
Wow, LAME comparison!
Do I need to even go into what is wrong with that dribel?
Besides, who the heck with a nice PC does not at least have dial up?

And guess what, if I have a Xbox and Internet Access, thats not enough!
I need to pay MS too.

If you're comparing it to Xbox Live, then yes, it's wrong. If you're comparing it to buying an issue of OXM for the cotnent, please point out what's wrong there.

I know a few people that have dialup but can't download large files because it's their only phone line.

Using the free two months of Xbox Live you get with an Xbox Live title, all you need is broadband access. It's really not that hard to sign up for XBL using that flyer, download the content, and cancel your subscription.

Oh, wait, when was the last time I paid $50 a year to play my PC games online. Now who has the broken example?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
BuddyChrist83 said:
If you're comparing it to Xbox Live, then yes, it's wrong. If you're comparing it to buying an issue of OXM for the cotnent, please point out what's wrong there.

I know a few people that have dialup but can't download large files because it's their only phone line.

OXM for content is ok, but you still have to buy to get the issue.
No way to put the patch on a CD-R in this instance though.
I guess you could borrow it from a friend.

Ninja Gaiden Championship Edition Turbo! Woohoo!

About the ridiculous whining about it being a 'patch'...it's a free addition to XBL users. Just like getting 1.10 version update for Diablo II. Just like getting new maps and mutators and MODs for a PC game. Better than buying a $10-20 add-on disc to an existing game, anyway. NG didn't need this, but it was cool as hell for Team Ninja to give a shit.

Don't have Live, but know a friend that does? Take you shit over there and have your friend log on and d/l the addition. Done. Otherwise, it'll be a while before OXM gets the goods (probably two months).

is everyone ignoring the fact that Ninja Gaiden 1.1 is a part of the often pimped "Master Ninja Tournament" that is an XBOX LIVE tournament that was mentioned everywhere even before the game was out?

people who bought the game and didn't have live access did so KNOWING that they wouldn't be able to participate in this... this extra free unnecessary addition being available to everyone is just an added bonus...

Tellaerin

BuddyChrist83 said:
As for PSO, your character was tied to your Xbox Live account. Why? Because in Japan, PSO came with Xbox Live, therefore, everyone that had PSO had Xbox Live.

Yes, the fact that this carried over into the domestic version was irresponsible. It's not like it was that hard to get around though.

I never knew that PSO was the Japanese pack-in for XBL (though it makes sense now that you mention it). Definitely irresponsible, and I think the motives for not addressing it in the US release were a little questionable, too. I appreciate the info, though.

BuddyChrist83 said:
I can't believe I even bothered to answer you.

FWIW, I'm grateful you took the time to answer. In spite of that remark, you're certainly friendlier than some posters I've run into here.

Mrbob said:
You have too many ifs attached to your posts.

IF THIS. IF THAT.

And you have too many 'I don't give a shit about anyone who doesn't have Live's attached to yours. Not everyone wants Live. Not everyone who wants Live can get Live, if they can't get broadband in their area. According to you and half the other people in this thread, those people should just shut up and be satisfied with what they've got. Nice display of empathy there, chief--as long as you're good to go, who the hell cares about anyone else, right?

Mrbob said:
How exactly is adding more choices fixing a game to completion. The game is fully playable as it is. There aren't any game crashing bugs. But then again this has been mentioned about 20 times already in this thread but it flew over your head.

You said I could consider this a patch, but 'when it is stated that the 1.1 update is fixing the game to completion, that is a flat out incorrect statement.' I read that as saying that the 1.1 update was supposed to be 'fixing the game to completion', which (inexplicably) meant that it shouldn't be treated as a patch. (You can probably understand why I was puzzled by that. :p )

Mrbob said:
How about the 'We released a damn fine GOTY candidate game and decided to give the fans some extra perks in appreciation for buying our product' version. Again, this will show up on the OXM disc eventually and you know it.

I bought their product, too. So did a friend of mine, who lives where there's no broadband coverage. Guess we're not entitled to these 'perks'--our $50 isn't worth as much if we're not spending the extra money for Live on top of buying the game, obviously. That perception's one of the things that's ticking me off in this thread--the whole 'if you don't have Live, for any reason, then fuck you, you don't deserve anything' bit, which is what a lot of this boils down to. As far as it showing up on the OXM disc or a demo disc is concerned, if I knew that for certain, none of this would be an issue.

And as for the rest of this:

Mrbob said:
First of all, I don't give a damn about PSO.

That's nice. I did. So did quite a few other people I know.

Mrbob said:
Secondly, how MS handles PSO has nothing to do with Ninja Gaiden.

It does when they handle both games in a way that forces you to subscribe to Live if you want full functionality and patches to the most recent version. Just like arranging for the release of two Unreal Tournament 2004 Onslaught maps exclusively for Windows XP users was a sleazy move to promote XP (the installer for the maps wouldn't run on non-XP systems, and the maps were tagged as part of the retail default map package, which caused compatibility problems between servers running the maps and players who didn't have them). In short, MS does some pretty crappy things when it comes to distributing content in order to try to lock people into using their products and services.

No, I don't like the way they go about it. Other companies distribute content without the hamhanded 'service/OS-exclusive' tactics, and there's nothing forcing MS to handle things the way they do except straight-up greed. If you worship the ground Gates and Ballmer walk on and find any criticism of Microsoft's business strategies offensive, then you might as well just spare yourself future headaches and put me on your ignore list now.

Mrbob said:
Third, I highly doubt you'll find any arguments over MS handled PSO release.

No, those of us who were dissatisfied just went and bought the Gamecube version instead.

Mrbob said:
Finally, Ninja Gaiden was delayed for months on end to polish it up as much as possible so the whole "game is incomplete" doesn't fly.

As I said before, I misread your post. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Mrbob said:
You want to talk about incomplete games, talk about Thief 3 which just had a patch released so that your save file doesn't automatically reset your difficulty back to normal on every reload. Talk about Warlord Battlecry III which is still waiting for patch to play online and on LAN properly. Talk about Chaos Legion for the PC which needed brand new discs sent out just to make the games playable. Talk about Farcry which needed a patch to fix its broken save system. Those are true game fix patches. If anything, you would have to consider Ninja Gaiden 1.1 a balance patch.

Fair enough. My point was that it is a patch nonetheless, and people in this thread were shouting down anyone who said so. Not only that, but it's the same sort of patch that PC owners can download for their games for free, without having to subscribe to some publisher's exclusive portal service. That's what I think is tacky about the way this is being handled. (Personally, I think that the update should be included with the inevitable Platinum Hits rerelease, but the fact that MS didn't see fit to approve this with the Platinum Hits DOA3--IIRC, Tecmo originally had plans to do so, according to one of their reps, but this was shot down for reasons unknown--doesn't give me much hope for NG.) So yeah, that's where I'm coming from. By all means, feel free to bitch at me some more over it.

Mrbob

You are pretty bad at twisting things and putting them together. I never said suck it to non xbox live! owners. I mentioned you'll have to wait for OXM or Exhibtion disc to get it. So you basically wasted an entire rant above. Also, you brought up PSO which still has nothing to do with Ninja Gaiden.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Tellaerin this is what it comes down to. Microsoft has allways said XBL is a premium service that you will pay for, its not a surprise to anyone. Ninja Gaiden has allways had an Xbox Live bar on the top of the box. Not a surprise to anyone. It has a check next to download content. Again, not a surprise.

Now, you may be confused, but if you look carefully at your Xbox, you will notice, that it is in fact, not a PC. So, you might be used to getting this stuff free on your PC.. but guess what? Not a PC. Those rules dont apply here, for better or for worse. Its a different kind of beast altogether.

The fact that this is a 'free' download is deceptive. Its free for people allready paying 50 dollars a year. So, its not truly a free download, its part of the Xbox Live service that I have allready payed for. Its like walking into mcdonalds and bitching about not getting a free toy, even though you dont want to pay for the happy meal. As far as PSO goes, the game was coded that way in Japan because it was the pack in, and MS wanted to make sure that no one was buying the Xbox Live start up kit just to play PSO and never use the service.. that code wasnt fixed for the US release because Sega didnt really want to release the game on Xbox in the first place, but got a giant money hat in order to do so... so the US port was half assed.

as far as this being a patch.. its not really a patch in the sense that Microsoft was talking about when it said it would not allow patches, and that is clear to everyone. Some companies call tweaks and map packs to be patches.. while others do not (such at the UT map packs that you can download). At the end of the day, this is not a patch in the sense that it fixes some horrible problem with the game.. its something to make an allready better game, more fun. I would agree that it has alot in common with 'patches' for games on the PC.. but alot of patches to PC games dont really patch any problems.. and many PC patches that do adress problems also come with other stuff like levels, weapons or whatever which ads to the confusion. Xbox Live updates that I would consider 'patches' in the truest sense of the word are the Unreal Championship update that fixed holes in the maps, the framerate and weapon balance... and the Ghost Recon patch that made it possible to find Xbox Live matches.

The only reason people dont want to call it a patch is because there is a negative connotation to that word that does not apply in this case. Im going to go out on a limb and guess that the only reason you want to call it a patch so badly is because it has that negative connotation.

Tellaerin

StoOgE said:
Tellaerin this is what it comes down to. Microsoft has allways said XBL is a premium service that you will pay for, its not a surprise to anyone. Ninja Gaiden has allways had an Xbox Live bar on the top of the box. Not a surprise to anyone. It has a check next to download content. Again, not a surprise.

Now, you may be confused, but if you look carefully at your Xbox, you will notice, that it is in fact, not a PC. So, you might be used to getting this stuff free on your PC.. but guess what? Not a PC. Those rules dont apply here, for better or for worse. Its a different kind of beast altogether.

No need to be condescending. I know that my Xbox isn't a PC. What I don't like is how Microsoft appears to be laying the groundwork for a system where you have to pay full price for games and subscribe to an additional, MS-sponsored service in order to get full functionality for those games. Microsoft's said in a few places that they want to find ways of generating additional revenue from their products after the initial sale, and I think this is eventually going to lead to them nickel-and-diming subscribers to death with additional fees. I think this is only going to get worse with time, but a lot of people in this thread apparently find nothing wrong with that. :p

StoOgE said:
The only reason people dont want to call it a patch is because there is a negative connotation to that word that does not apply in this case. Im going to go out on a limb and guess that the only reason you want to call it a patch so badly is because it has that negative connotation.

There's no 'want to' about it. I am calling it a patch, because it patches Ninja Gaiden v. 1.0 to 1.1. There's nothing else to call it. As far as 'negative connotations' go, the only thing that I'd consider negative is if it were a bugfix, and it's not. What I'm irked about is that there are people out there who won't be able to patch to the latest version, with the improved features, without having to pay for an additional service on top of the price of the game. Paying full retail price for a game should entitle the end user to patches and updates at no additional charge, without having to subscribe to some online portal sponsored by the console manufacturer.

Yeah, but that's the advantage of an open-platform..the PC. Consoles aren't open at all...never have been. In any case, I'm wondering if, besides using an OXM and Exhibition disc, owners of NG can simply send in a proof of purchase or something to get a booster disc sent to them?

More on-topic:
I can't wait to see what the other two new weapons are, beside the Bo. Man, new bosses, new enemies, etc. This will end up being the best DLC ever...and it's free (to XBL users)... August is a ways off.

----

Banned
I don't understand, there was nothing to "patch" in Ninja Gaiden, so how could you call this a patch? There were no holes in Ninja Gaiden to patch.

What is downloadable content supposed to consist of if they can't change the characters, weapons, and increase the difficulty and game speed? None of that stuff technically improves the game, it just makes it different.

If you skip the regular Ninja Gaiden game and only play the game with the 1.1 updates you are a moron. The original game is the one that got the average score of 92%. These downloadable updates while interesting may change to enemies that are not as good as the original. The speed of the gameplay may not be as fun as the original either. This update isn't patching coding errors or bugs, it's creating an entirely different gameplay experience. Playing the original game is still more important than playing this update. This update is not a replacement for the orginal game it is just a way of extending the original game. That is why the game is harder, this downloadable content is intended for people who have beaten the game and are looking for more replay value out of it.

There's no 'want to' about it. I am calling it a patch, because it patches Ninja Gaiden v. 1.0 to 1.1.
No it doesn't, the update isn't intended to fix errors in the game it is intended to create a new experience for people who have already beaten the game. This update is for the 2nd round of the Master Ninja Tournament. There is a contest going on which none of you seem to be acknowledging here. A contest which is exclusive to Xbox Live subscribers, another thing you OXM demanders seem to be ignoring. There will likely be a similar update for the 3rd round of the Master Ninja Tournament. These updates are not fixing bugs these updates are part of a contest that was planned a long time ago.

DarkCloud

I like how Xbox Live is always being seen in a negative way as a form of pulling even more money from people when DLC get's announced that people want. Are we forgetting that Xbox Live's primary purpose is to play games online...DLC is just a bonus that subscribers to their netplay service recieve.

And I gladly pay the 50 because while I may be able to play on the internet for free...that doesn't ensure me full voice chat and practically no cheating like Xbox Live does. Plus the assurance that I never have to hope stuff like this will appear on an OXM disc.

Besides...an add on like this for the PC 9 times out of 10 wouldn't be free. It'd be tweaked and slapped on a disc and called Ninja Gaiden lost legacy or whatnot. And that'd run you about 20-30$ Not every pc dev are like the UT guys. Now take all the games that get expansion packs a year on the pc and combine the price. I bet you anything that it'll eclipse the paltry 50$ a year that xbox live costs.

and for the poor people without broadband that sucks...but there are alternatives in the means of OXM and Xbox exhibition (which this will appear on just like the DoA3 booster). And I think the fact MS even offers the option to non live players shows that they are not trying to rope people into buying their service on dlc.

However if you chose not to get Live just cause you wish to make a stand against MS's "greed" (those super servers that run Live weren't cheap you know) then don't come in as some jilted gamer cause you aren't getting all the features that the back of the box hinted to. The Live strip is there for a reason.

pilonv1

Wow more people complaining about free content to an awesome Xbox game. They're increasing the longevity of it, but retards are still crying over "patches" and paying for services. It's been two years, if you don't want it then get the fuck over it and play some games.

And I gladly pay the 50 because while I may be able to play on the internet for free...that doesn't ensure me full voice chat and practically no cheating like Xbox Live does. Plus the assurance that I never have to hope stuff like this will appear on an OXM disc.

You're far too logical for this forum.

Tellaerin

pilonv1 said:
Wow more people complaining about free content to an awesome Xbox game. They're increasing the longevity of it, but retards are still crying over "patches" and paying for services. It's been two years, if you don't want it then get the fuck over it and play some games.

I'm complaining that it's only 'free' to the people who spring for Microsoft's subscription service, rather than being included with the price of the game, which is bullshit. And thank you for labelling me a 'retard'. Obviously someone who willingly buys into a system where they pay extra fees for 'bonus content' that's traditionally been free to download on other platforms (or just bundled with the game, rather than being held for later release as an 'exclusive download') is a genius. I bow before your superior intellect. :p

BuddyC

Tellaerin said:
FWIW, I'm grateful you took the time to answer. In spite of that remark, you're certainly friendlier than some posters I've run into here.

Mmmm...

I apologize for that remark. After spending two years reading the forum, it's easy to be an elitist and forget that everyone doesn't know everything. Sorry mate.

Cubsfan23

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Mmmm...

I apologize for that remark. After spending two years reading the forum, it's easy to be an elitist and forget that everyone doesn't know everything. Sorry mate.

you forgot the crying gif

Zaptruder

Banned
Tellaerin said:
I'm complaining that it's only 'free' to the people who spring for Microsoft's subscription service, rather than being included with the price of the game, which is bullshit. And thank you for labelling me a 'retard'. Obviously someone who willingly buys into a system where they pay extra fees for 'bonus content' that's traditionally been free to download on other platforms (or just bundled with the game, rather than being held for later release as an 'exclusive download') is a genius. I bow before your superior intellect. :p

I'll have a go at shutting this toolbag up...

MS's policy concerns itself with GAMEFIXING patches.

While this 'patch' does fix some of the games problems, it also introduces alot of new content to the game. It's essence is that it's more of a bonus to the game rather than a fix; the game plays fine even with the bad camera system before this patch, but it'll play better after this. It could have easily been left alone, with little detriment... but it was fixed; almost like a bonus.

So regardless of what you call it, patch, bonus, whatever... your point is flawed and moot; even if your point was that the update should be called a patch only, you'd be wrong. Update, bonus, upgrade patch... they're all more suitable terms.

Also; it probably won't only be available through Xbox live; but what better method do you intend on distributing this? It'll probably be available on CD covers and as a new version on the shelves, but if I could, I'd download it from live!

IgeL

I would've liked an easier difficulty setting. And I haven't even touched the game yet. :8 Still, pretty sweet. More of this and I'm happy.

Also, for those fearing the "skeleton model", I don't think it can go that way in the next few years. People (including game reviewers) won't tolerate it. If a 50 dollar game is not good in its own right, no "extra" is going to make it get good scores etc. I think casuals are smarter not to get burned by more than a few times, too. If a 50 dollar game has enough content and is good, then I have very little against all sorts of payable extras - they just make a good game better. Obviously I think of the situation from the dev point as well, because stuff like Premium Content should be good for the developers, too.

The way IGN states it, the 1.1 download is intended for the next leg of the Master Ninja Tournament...an online mode that was made well-known before the game's release. It just happens to also contain a new camera-control option addition...one that they did not see the need of upon release. They are simply giving something that no one has to bother with giving. It's a bonus...just like getting the special edition of a game or movie...only, only XBL subscribers are allowed to get it...at least initially. It's icing on the cake... If you have broadband, just use a 2-month free subscription and get the d/l and quit the sub. Otherwise, wait for a future OXM and an Exhibition disc with the d/l there. I see no reason to complain.

Tellaerin

Zaptruder said:
I'll have a go at shutting this toolbag up...

The namecalling's not necessary. The reason I bothered posting in this thread in the first place is because someone else wasn't happy with the trend of Live-exclusive content, and got browbeaten for saying so. I thought the original poster had a valid point. Sorry I didn't just roll over like a good dog for you the minute MS fans decided to tell me off.

Zaptruder said:
MS's policy concerns itself with GAMEFIXING patches.

While this 'patch' does fix some of the games problems, it also introduces alot of new content to the game. It's essence is that it's more of a bonus to the game rather than a fix; the game plays fine even with the bad camera system before this patch, but it'll play better after this. It could have easily been left alone, with little detriment... but it was fixed; almost like a bonus.

So regardless of what you call it, patch, bonus, whatever... your point is flawed and moot; even if your point was that the update should be called a patch only, you'd be wrong. Update, bonus, upgrade patch... they're all more suitable terms.

My point is that whatever you call it, MS should offer a reliable alternate means of distributing content like this to people who have purchased the game, even if they don't (or can't) subscribe to Live. Even something as simple as a monthly CD subscription service for the folks without broadband, where you'd only be billed the cost of a disc plus postage for that month's content, and 'backissues' would be available on request. (OXM cover discs already offer some XBL content, but finding them after a game's been out for awhile can be a real bitch.) The main thing would be to provide this service at close to cost. Charging the customer for the media the content comes on is fine, but the content itself isn't something I believe the end user should have to pay extra for, not when he's already paid for the game. Many PC developers release downloadable content like this for their products at no charge, to foster brand loyalty and a sense of community. MS would rather hold it in reserve as an 'added incentive' to sign up for their online portal/voice-chat/matching service (in the case of 'free' content) or a source of additional revenue (in the case of added cars, tracks, maps, etc.) Apparently anyone who thinks this is a negative trend that will only get worse if people willingly accept it is a 'toolbag'. =/ If you think paying for things that have previously been available for free is worth it based on what you're getting, that's great, but I really don't think I deserve to have people telling me off and making smartass remarks about me because I don't agree.

Zaptruder said:
Also; it probably won't only be available through Xbox live; but what better method do you intend on distributing this? It'll probably be available on CD covers and as a new version on the shelves, but if I could, I'd download it from live!

As I said earlier, the ball's already been fumbled once when it comes to adding booster disc content to a Platinum Hits rerelease (DOA3), so I'm not exactly confident that a PH Ninja Gaiden would end up any different. I'm hoping that the Ninja Gaiden 1.1 upgrade makes it onto cover discs in a couple months' time--again, if I knew for certain that it would, I wouldn't feel so strongly about this. Live's at least an option in my case, but I've got a couple of friends who are stuck in areas without broadband, and they're out of luck unless this update shows up on a disc somewhere. (And I already know both of 'em are interested in this, having pointed out the news to them earlier tonight.)

Would you be happier if the new features were only available in a separate retail release, as with a number of games on other platforms? (Ninja Gaiden Director's Cut/Integral/Substance/International/Final Mix?)

bheemer

why should MS make the attempt to find another means of distributing it?

tecmo is the one that made the content. they should get the decision of how they want to distribute it.

maybe they introduced the content as a means of holding another MNT but in a slightly altered setting (the real motive for the content, well also to show appreciateion).

the people participating in the MNT have live so they can get the new files to change the competition up.

the game is complete and fine as is. it works great and has been lauded by many including well known reviewers. you whine because there is new content that you want. it doesnt fix a broken game, it just enhances it to such a point that you find this content desireable.

but now that its slightly out of reach, instead of standing on your toes to get it, you choose to sit on the floor and cry sour grapes.

Top Bottom