• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1?

Nerevar said:
Actually, the major component (and why this isn't a PS2 thing) is a standard hard drive. I guarantee you'd see content upgrades in popular PS2 games if there was a large enough customer base with a HDD to support it. Without the HDD, there isn't enough memory to store the updates, thus they are pointless.

I'm still waiting for my SOCOM2 downloadables.

Tellaerin

SyNapSe said:
I guess I'm missing all the new PS2 games implementing these new features for free, and downloaded from their site? I wonder why.. all it takes is..

1. Spending more time programming on a game that was already 'completed'
2. Hosting a website with the updates permanently.
3. The bandwidth to support it.
4. More employees for Customer support of issues dealing with updating their game with new weapons, camera views, etc.

MS takes care of 2-4 for any content a publisher feels like adding, and in cases like this.. I would assume they helped fund, or gave some kind of bonus to Tecmo to spend their time to create this tournament, and the extra difficulty modes for it.

None of these issues stop PC developers from offering patches for their games directly through the web, without forcing users to subscribe to a separate service to download them. It can't be that difficult or costly for them, or they wouldn't bother making those free downloads available in the first place.

As far as PS2 games go, I'm waiting to see how companies handle the distribution of downloadable content now that the hard drive's out there. If Sony tries to find ways to nickel-and-dime consumers to death by setting themselves up as a middleman a la Microsoft (which I'm getting the impression they might), believe me, I'd fault them for it. Bad is bad, period, regardless of the company doing it.

SyNapSe

Nerevar,

That's what I thought also, but Tellaerin said these kind of updates we're funded by publishers and occured on the DC?

Let's say Smaller Publisher X releases a new FPS with online play through Sony's Network (free currently). It is fairly popular and sells 500,000 copies.

At this point they would have two choices:

1. Create FPS-2.

Resulting Benefit: Financial Rewards

2. Spend money developing 3 new guns and 5 new multiplayer map. Purchase servers, and set website for downloading. Purchase large amount of broadband (t3?). Hire Help desk type employee's to answer support calls.

Resulting Benefit: Fan Loyalty? I guess.

Obviously, 95% of the time option 1 is going to be chosen. Your exception would be a few of the monsters such as EA. Who could afford to drop large cash on setting up their own network to provide content.

Tellaerin said:
None of these issues stop PC developers from offering patches for their games directly through the web, without forcing users to subscribe to a separate service to download them. It can't be that difficult or costly for them, or they wouldn't bother making those free downloads available in the first place.

As far as PS2 games go, I'm waiting to see how companies handle the distribution of downloadable content now that the hard drive's out there. If Sony tries to find ways to nickel-and-dime consumers to death by setting themselves up as a middleman a la Microsoft (which I'm getting the impression they might), believe me, I'd fault them for it. Bad is bad, period, regardless of the company doing it.
it is difficult and costly, look at how some pc devs use stuff like fileplanet...
the catch is they pretty much always have to fix things on PC because of configurations that they had not anticipated, so it's a part of the game of publishing on PC...

KAOS

WOW!!! Cool stuff can't wait! Long Live Xbox ONE!

Say Yes to XBL & DLC!
Say No to GC & gimmicky GBA connectivity!

cabel

KAOS said:
Say No to GC & gimmicky GBA connectivity!

Congratulations! You've successfully pulled-off an amazing, totally-off-topic troll.

I give you a B-, except I know you're not doing so well in Ms. Ferguson's Algebra class, so I'll give you an A+ so you can graduate with honors in 2007. (Oh, and Julie totally told me she wanted to take you to the spring formal.. circle one: YES / NO)

Good luck!

Redbeard

Banned
And that ain't all...

Itagaki has said that the features listed in our feature is only a partial list of the inclusions to Ninja Gaiden 1.1. Not sure what the other extras are, but obviously there is at least one new costume (the DOA costume shown in some of the screens) and likely some new Ninpo (judging from the Ninpo icons on some of the screens). We'll learn more soon, hopefully. - Hil IGN

suikodan

Daxter Too said:
You guys are right, this is bullshit. I can't believe MS is charging people to use their Xbox Live service. And on top of that they are adding enticing downloads to taunt non Live subcribers. This is criminal in my book, and is most definitaly going to be a class action lawsuit if I get my way.

Good joke, thanks for the laugh. ;)

KAOS

cabel:

Just say Yes to XBL & DLC and just say NO to GC gimmicky GBA connectivity. Seriously is not that hard of thing to figure out.

As far as making an off topic troll...come on this is a positive Xbox thread...isn't that the norm.

Back on topic...
If there's one improvement I wish could be made with NG 1.1 is to do away with the necessity for respawning enemies. I didn't care too much for that in NG and I didn't like at all in Metro Prime. Actually that kinda killed MP for me that and the boring back tracking.

Oh well bring on the NG 1.1 DLC!

Mrbob

Well, look at it this way. Without Xbox Live! there would not be a Ninja Gaiden 1.1.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1 does not only offer some addtions for Ninja Gaiden fans, but it is also the basis for round two of the master ninja tournament. You know, the tournament that has been advertised as being Xbox Live! compatible. :p But now Team Ninja is taking it a step further and not actually requiring you to be in the tournament to get access to these additions.

So basically we have some extra content added to the game, plus Team Ninja decided to address the most glaring flaw that some people have with the game (Camera). Without Xbox Live! we would be waiting until Ninja Gaiden 2 for additional content and game addressment. Or perhaps Ninja Gaiden Hyper Championship Edition which we could buy for the low low price of 30-40 bucks.

Hellraizah

CrimsonSkies said:
Upgraded game like this = a good thing.

How anyone can claim otherwise screams fanboyism.
But but....... the game was released as an incomplete version. And Milkman is the devil.

Demigod Mac

While Demigod Mac is looking forward to this update to Ninja Gaiden, it is undeniable that Microsoft went back on their word to not release patches.

People seem to forget that Xbox live is not just downloadable content. When you pay for xbox live, you pay for the service. It's an all games integrated approach to building an online community, with functional chat, voice communication, messaging, buddy lists....etc. All this requires server space and maintanence costs for MS. You are paying them for use of that service. Also, it provides a very convenient way of distributing content. I don't get where people get the idea that you pay 50 bucks a year for downloadable content. I see that as more of a fringe benefit due to convenience.

Also, it's worth mentioning, that all of the files however, ARE hosted on MS's servers, as the xbox has no other means of connecting to the internet to seek out places to download files. The bulk of the downloads of patches and such are done from fan sites and download sites, not specifically from one publishers web space, so MS is shouldering a far greater load from downloads due to that fact alone. That alone would justify there actually being a fee, as far as I'm concerned.

And just because I know someone is going to say "well would you prefer such a service for pc games where you have to pay a fee?", I'd say no, because pc's can actively search for virusses within a file that could be covertly spread by less than wholesome websites. Such a case isn't a problem with xbox live because ms has control over the content. Now JUST IN CASE somebody says "well you could have virus checking software on xbox", you'd need to have it updated, in which case...somebody would be PATCHING the software to check viruses, and if there are continual updates to the software in the form of PATCHES, somebody would have to be paid for it, and we're back to square one on monthly/yearly fees.

So stop bitching, people, jeez.

Demigod Mac said:
While Demigod Mac is looking forward to this update to Ninja Gaiden, it is undeniable that Microsoft went back on their word to not release patches.

Yes, because MS is making this 'patch'... :rolleyes

Oh well, you can't win with cool stuff and MS, I guess. It always turns into, 'MS is lyin' cheatin' bastages!!1'

Shompola

Banned
Demigod Mac said:

Judging by the replies in this thread its anything but undeniable.

Nikashi

Banned
Okay, everyone who has Ninja Gaiden can easily get this patch. READ MOTHERFUCKERS!

1. People who have XBL and Ninja Gaiden = Download it

2. People who don't have XBL, but have Ninja Gaiden = Use a 2 month card, cost to you = $0

3. People who don't ahve XBL because they're on Dial up = Get an issue of OXM (very very likely it will be on the disc), cost to you = $8 or so, and you get a free magazine, other demos, and other download content.

4. Whiny bitches who don't even have an Xbox and came in here to be trolling little cunts = Go fuck yourselves.

cuccoo

I hope the OXM thing is true because I'm not going to be in the US when they release this. So XBL is 100% not an option for me.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Nikashi said:
3. People who don't ahve XBL because they're on Dial up = Get an issue of OXM (very very likely it will be on the disc), cost to you = $8 or so, and you get a free magazine, other demos, and other download content.

As long as this is the case, I have no complaints whatsoever. Hell, even if it I have to wait an extra month I don't care, as long as I can get it off-line.

----

Banned
Did people make this much fuss when Splinter Cell and Knights of the Old Republic were supposedly "patched" over Xbox Live? I don't remember people crying fowl when they added all the new weapons, aliens, and stuff to Knights of the Old Republic.

Part of paying for XBL is getting downloadable content and participating in special tournaments. Why is it that some people think Xbox Live subscribers aren't entitled to any bonuses?

If you don't think you got your money's worth with Splinter Cell, KOTOR, or Ninja Gaiden then check the review scores, you're in the vast minority. These are bonuses meant to extend the life of the game, not essential patches meant to fix the game. If you want these bonuses get Xbox Live. Should have any of these games been delayed 3 to 6 months just to add these small bonus extras? Absolutely not.

Microsoft is strictly against patching games. There is a critical bug in the PC and Xbox version of Thief. The developer is not allowed to patch it on Xbox because it is not part of the online component of the game.

pilonv1

---- said:
Part of paying for XBL is getting downloadable content and participating in special tournaments. Why is it that some people think Xbox Live subscribers aren't entitled to any bonuses?

Because they're idiots.

Redbeard

Banned
---- said:

It's because their moms won't let them get it.

Shouta

Wow, my head hurts after reading this thread.

At any rate, Tella has a point (if you ignore the fact its probably being distributed through OXM and the fact there's 2 month free cards everywhere). To download the content offered by Tecmo, you shouldn't need to subscribe to XBL. MS isn't giving you the content, Tecmo is. I would not pay someone else just to get access to something the creator made available for free.

His concern is warranted. If all the other means of distributing this content and there weren't any coupons to get the service free were suddely gone (not likely to happen but its a possibility), MS could force you to subscribe to XBL for free content provided by the developers. That's the ultimate point of what he's saying. If this were happening, ALL of you would be complaining.

That said, WOULD YOU DAMNED PEOPLE READ WHAT PEOPLE SAY AND TAKE A MINUTE TO COMPREHEND WHAT PEOPLE ARE TYPING!? Tellaerin made his VERY clear and it apparently went over most of your heads.

Edit:

Microsoft is strictly against patching games. There is a critical bug in the PC and Xbox version of Thief. The developer is not allowed to patch it on Xbox because it is not part of the online component of the game.

Patch =/= bugfix. As some pointed out already, patching is just an alteration to the code of the game. Adding content and fixing problems are a part of patching. When MS talks about no "patching" they mean no "patching" of bugfixes.

I'm guessing Tecmo sees some form of financial benefit from this from MS. It's not like they just decided to do extra work and not get any sort of benefit from it. Tecmo is a business, not a charity organization. In that sense, you could say ms bought the content from tecmo, and we're buying it from ms.

----

Banned
Tecmo is giving out this content to promote the tournament and maintin interest in the game.

His concern is warranted. If all the other means of distributing this content and there weren't any coupons to get the service free were suddely gone (not likely to happen but its a possibility), MS could force you to subscribe to XBL for free content provided by the developers. That's the ultimate point of what he's saying. If this were happening, ALL of you would be complaining.
You do also understand that Tecmo very badly wants people to subscribe to Xbox Live. They are releasing the first online 3D fighting game soon and they want people to buy it and play it online. In order to do that they have to help sell Xbox Live. The Master Ninja Tournament and all this downloadable content helps sell Xbox Live and helps to get Tecmo/DOA fans on Xbox Live.

I would not be complaining if MS said only on Xbox Live. As with all video game consoles it is a closed platform. This is not a PC, there is absolutely no software allowed to be sold for Xbox without Microsoft's approval. In fact there is no Xbox Live content that is allowed without Microsoft's approval. They can allow or disallow any content they want, they own the platform. Same goes for Sony and Nintendo. If they say "no you can't release or sell a separate disc with extra content for a game" that is their perogative. If a developer doesn't respect Microsoft's wishes they have every right to fine them, terminate their contract, sue them, and demand their dev kits back.

Brannon

"When MS talks about no "patching" they mean no "patching" of bugfixes."

I always thought this was implied, to keep devs from repeating the Quake 2 fiasco. It wasn't clear from the get go?

...teh hella..

Shouta

Tecmo is giving out this content to promote the tournament and maintin interest in the game.

The fact it's to promote the tournament and to maintain interest in the game isn't of consequence to the issue. It's content made available to the public at no charge from Tecmo (if they were charging, they'd make it Ninja Gaiden: Director's Cut or something). However, you can only download it through XBL which in essence doesn't make it free (ignoring 2 month cards and OXM ;p). You shouldn't be forced to pay for a service when you want to get new content that's free.

You do also understand that Tecmo very badly wants people to subscribe to Xbox Live. They are releasing the first online 3D fighting game soon and they want people to buy it and play it online. In order to do that they have to help sell Xbox Live. The Master Ninja Tournament and all this downloadable content helps sell Xbox Live and helps to get Tecmo/DOA fans on Xbox Live.

That is kind of obvious but there are ways of getting people to sign up for XBL other than making the content downloadable through XBL.

always thought this was implied, to keep devs from repeating the Quake 2 fiasco. It wasn't clear from the get go?

...teh hella..

I thought so too but apparently some people didn't realize that =P.

Mrbob

Some of you need to get it through your heads that this download is technically the second round of the Master Ninja Tournament. Master Ninja Tournament has always been an Xbox Live! feature. Go bust out the EGM interview with Itagaki. He stated as much in the interview he was taking gamer considerations and adding extra content for the master ninja tournament.

The sooner you realize Ninja Gaiden 1.1 is technically the second round of the Master Ninja Tournement, which is offered, advertised, and supported via Xbox Live!, the less bitchy and whiney you will be. Anyone arguing to the contrary has no point.

Also we know these extras will be offered via a secondary source whining about it accomplishes nothing.

Mrbob

Anyway, I'm done arguing on this topic. I'll have my extra content downloaded in early August and I can't wait.

Here is the official announcement with quotes from exxys two best friends, John Inada and Tomonobu Itagaki.

Tecmo, Inc.

TECMO CREATES THE ULTIMATE NINJA GAIDEN EXPERIENCE
WITH NEW DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT

Enhanced Additions for Ninja Gaiden(tm) Will Be
Available to Download Through Xbox(tm) Live in the Beginning of August.

TORRANCE, Calif., June 24, 2004-Tecmo® and Xbox(tm) Live announced today
their plan to expand the Ninja Gaiden playing experience with additional
downloadable content which will be available in the beginning of August via
Xbox Live. The evolved version will contain a wide array of additions
including new camera and action engines that will improve upon the already
superior game engine, new challenging enemies, new costumes, an arsenal of
new weapons, and more. The new download was created to go side-by-side with
the second round of the online Ninja Gaiden Tournament, named The Master
Ninja Tournament, and will also be openly available to anyone with an Xbox
Live account and a copy of Ninja Gaiden.

"Not only has Ninja Gaiden proven to be a massively successful and highly
acclaimed game, it has broken records! The first round of The Master Ninja
Tournament was so popular that it became the most participated tournament in
Xbox Live's history," said John Inada, head of Tecmo Marketing. "Itagaki
continues to dazzle gamers with his innovative game design, and he has
pulled out all of the stops for the new downloadable content making it a
must-have addition for our fans."

Feedback from Ninja Gaiden fans was taken into account when designing the
added features. The new camera system enhances playability by changing the
player's perspective relative to the enemies' position, while the new action
engine will make the combat system more extreme and faster than ever before.
New weapons and smarter enemies are just a few more of the features that
complete the downloadable package.

"Keep in mind that Ninja Gaiden's main concept is its strength as an action
game. The new downloadable content will only expand the envelope of this
concept," said Tomonobu Itagaki, Tecmo's head creator of Ninja Gaiden. "The
second round of The Master Ninja Tournament is formatted for participants to
download the new content, play through the game from beginning to end and
then post their scores online to see how they ranked against other players
worldwide. If they are confident in their Ninja Gaiden skills, players must
take on this challenge."

Fans who have mastered the original game, which was heralded as "tough to
beat", are in for even more of a challenge in the new download. The enemy
characters will be programmed to have even more advanced A.I., making the
game wickedly exciting the second time around.

The three top ranked winners from the first round of The Master Ninja
Tournament will be announced this week, followed by an announcement next
week about the details on the second round of The Master Ninja Tournament.

About Ninja Gaiden
One of Tecmo's most treasured franchises is given new life in a whole new
action-packed Ninja Gaiden.
The player takes on the role of the powerful and mysterious ninja, Ryu
Hayabusa, who seeks revenge
after his clan is massacred by the Vigoor Empire.

Boasting 100% action, Ninja Gaiden allows the player to unleash their inner
ninja with smooth game play, speedy battle sequences, and a variety of
advanced acrobatic ninja moves from running and flipping off of walls to
hanging and swinging on rails. The player also has a variety of primary and
secondary weapons at their disposal that when used in a combination, create
advanced weapon attacks such as damaging wall-based assaults and
all-powerful ultimate attacks. Xbox Live compatibility, a host of
challenging levels and visually exquisite environments, are just a few more
reasons why Ninja Gaiden raises the bar in the action gaming genre.

Ninja Gaiden is available now at all retail outlets where video games are
sold, with a suggested retail
price of $49.99 and an ESRB rating of Mature. Gamers can order Ninja Gaiden
at
Tecmo's website (http://www.tecmoinc.com). For additional information on
the game, visit the official
Ninja Gaiden website (www.ninjagaidengame.com).

About Tecmo, Inc.
Tecmo, Inc., located in Torrance, California, is a wholly-owned subsidiary
of Tecmo, LTD in Tokyo, Japan and is a leader in the interactive and
wireless entertainment industries. Tecmo's wireless division, Tecmo Mobile,
recently kicked-off its new portable prowess with the launch of its classic
football game, Tecmo Bowl®, available to download on select mobile phones
for some hard-hitting action on the go! Tecmo develops and publishes video
games and content on wireless platforms and next-generation consoles. Tecmo
has gained worldwide recognition with product lines such as the brand new
Tecmo Bowl for mobile carriers, and award-winning franchises including Ninja
Gaiden ®, Dead or Alive®, Fatal Frame®, Monster Rancher®, and Gallop Racer®.

About Xbox
Xbox (<http://www.xbox.com> ) is the video game system from Microsoft that
brings people together for the most exhilarating game and entertainment
experiences. Xbox delivers an expansive collection of breakthrough games,
powerful hardware and the unified Xbox Live online service. The new
tagline, "it's good to play together," captures the spirit of Xbox as the
social hub of the new digital entertainment lifestyle. Xbox is now
available in North America, Asia, Europe and Australia.

About Xbox Live
Xbox Live, which launched in the United States Nov. 15, 2002, allows gamers
to play multiplayer Xbox games with other gamers everywhere via a broadband
connection. With a built-in hard drive and Ethernet port, the Xbox console
is the only video game system built from the ground up for online gaming,
negating the need to buy additional, costly peripherals or upgrades. Xbox
Live enables gamers to easily find their friends; talk to other players
during game play through the Xbox Communicator headset; download current
statistics, new levels and characters to their Xbox hard drive; and play
online-all exclusive features to Xbox Live.

Xbox is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States
and/or other countries.

-###-

I'm just trying to figure out how the gameplay is going to get faster! :D

Nikashi

Banned
I love how people keep arguing about it not being 'free' while continually having to acknowledge OXM and free 2 month cards :) If you have to IGNORE other ENTIRELY FREE (Or nearly free in OXM's case) ways to get the content, it's a pretty weak arguement. Also, Xbox Live is a CLOSED service, always has been, this has always been known. If developers could all run their own servers and offer their own content, well, EA would have been on board a lot sooner.

Bottom line.

I still say most of the people who are really bitching don't even have an Xbox and are looking for reasons to bash MS, as usual.

Shouta

I love how people keep arguing about it not being 'free' while continually having to acknowledge OXM and free 2 month cards If you have to IGNORE other ENTIRELY FREE (Or nearly free in OXM's case) ways to get the content, it's a pretty weak arguement.

Sure, go ahead and ignore the point that's being made.

Nikashi

Banned
The only point I can see is that Xbox isn't using the same download channels as PC games (Which don't have to be approved by anyone to be released, really, which is why you get horrible buggy, unfinished games that NEED free patching to work properly), and that somehow this is a bad thing because everything should be free no matter what.

Guess what, it's not, too bad, move on.

Kunai

ninja_screen002.jpg

ninja_screen018.jpg

ninja_screen011.jpg

ninja_screen017.jpg

More:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/24/news_6101308.html

---- said:
If they say "no you can't release or sell a separate disc with extra content for a game" that is their perogative. If a developer doesn't respect Microsoft's wishes they have every right to fine them, terminate their contract, sue them, and demand their dev kits back.
yeah, that's another good point... releasing content on PC (an open architecture) means you can do anything you want within the law... on a closed system, it means you can do anything you want within the licensor's wishes...

Nikashi

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
like they are on cube...

Haha, that's a joke right?

But if it's not... Nintendo didn't even support it, barely advertised it, and has poo pooed online from the get go, hence the complete LACK of support. It's not a control issue, it's a "Why would we support your peripheral when even you won't" issue.

Nikashi said:
Haha, that's a joke right?

But if it's not... Nintendo didn't even support it, barely advertised it, and has poo pooed online from the get go, hence the complete LACK of support. It's not a control issue, it's a "Why would we support your peripheral when even you won't" issue.
yeah, it was a joke...

Damage controllers owned, I'm glad to see the irksome camera is getting a change. I have to give Team Ninja props for this. Even though I'm far from their biggest fan, they really have gone out of their way to please everyone with Ninja Gaiden.

Love the Kilik-esque staff action. :)

Shompola

Banned
There is no damage control in this thread and there surely is no one getting owned as far as I can see. It's pretty obvious that this new update is not a FIX. But believe what you will, you have that right...

Shompola said:
There is no damage control in this thread and there surely is no one getting owned as far as I can see. It's pretty obvious that this new update is not a FIX. But believe what you will, you have that right...
I was referring to the people who damage controlled the camera when the game first came out. Yes, it bothered many people including myself, and I'm happy they're responding accordingly. It looks like the G-A review of Ninja Gaiden may have had a pretty big effect on Itagaki. :D

Top Bottom