• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS and Wii u eShop shutting down in march of 2023

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
jaje97.png

bvnleo.png

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've been scouring the Wii U eShop every so often for the last year and got my wish list curated rather well.

Should be able to get all the games I want before it's shut down.

Funny thing is that the only time I give Nintendo money is via the Wii U eShop, they're the one company that I go out of my way to buy their stuff used.

fart town usa

Gold Member
They're giving everybody over 12 months of a head's up. That's plenty of time for everyone looking to buy new software on those systems to get what they're going to get, then it's all physical, baby.
Olivia Newton-John GIF
Not really, they're giving people until August 28th. So basically, if you don't have funds on your account after August 28th 2022, you'll only be able to use download codes but what does that even apply to? lol. Maybe some indie developers will just give out download codes for free cause any exclusives are gonna be lost to time.
  • On May 23rd, 2022, you won’t be able to use a credit card to add funds to your eShop accounts on Wii U or 3DS devices.
  • On August 29th, 2022, you won’t be able to use eShop gift cards to add funds to your accounts on those devices, either.
  • If you have any download codes, you won’t be able to redeem those after late March 2023.
  • You won’t be able to use money in your Nintendo Wallet account (assuming you’ve linked that Nintendo Switch account with the older Nintendo Network ID account) to buy Wii U and 3DS content after late March 2023.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Not really, they're giving people until August 29th. So basically, if you don't have funds on your account after August 29 2022, you'll only be able to use download codes but what does that even apply to? lol. Maybe some indie developers will just give out download codes for free cause any exclusives are gonna be lost to time.
  • On May 23rd, 2022, you won’t be able to use a credit card to add funds to your eShop accounts on Wii U or 3DS devices.
  • On August 29th, 2022, you won’t be able to use eShop gift cards to add funds to your accounts on those devices, either.
  • If you have any download codes, you won’t be able to redeem those after late March 2023.
  • You won’t be able to use money in your Nintendo Wallet account (assuming you’ve linked that Nintendo Switch account with the older Nintendo Network ID account) to buy Wii U and 3DS content after late March 2023.
This is why I'm a physical proponent. This is going to happen as corporations move on from legacy systems. That said, I embarssingly have an Xbox Series S and a shit-ton of Xbox 360 digital games.

Honey Bunny

Nintendo purposely ended Virtual Console so that your purchases do not transfer over. They locked everything behind a sub to Switch Online, where you can’t buy/download any of the games, just rentals.

Games media have a hard time giving Xbox a W on anything, despite their many pro-consumer moves, Xbox BC truly becomes untouchable at this point. “Buy once, yours forever” is something Phil Spencer said and should be the default. If some Nintendo zealots didn’t fawn over everything they do, and games media put more criticism on Nintendo, perhaps anti-consumer things like this would stop.
I was pretty shocked to learn there are games you can only get on a subscription service on Switch. Really scummy.

LordOfChaos

Guess I'm going to keep my Wii U with an external hard drive chock full of games for quite a while.

Once you can't even buy them again we might be in a Flappy Bird situation.

It is a shame how they treated some of their most loyal fans who bought into their failure generation. There's still brand new games coming out for PS4 and XBO from first party publishers. Even if they could have kept it going with a few easy to run titles that could easily be ported back, it would have felt better than a lame 4 year support life. And I think it's a real shame they got the BoTW engine running on it only to use it for one game, 2 even started as a DLC3.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

WiiUUSBHelper, thank me later.

USB Helper downloads directly from Nintendo servers, it's not a hosted service, they just used to use the same key for every game in the Wii U generation so Nintendo barely even tried to block such a thing.

When eShop is gone for good, services like USB Helper that rely on it for downloads also wouldn't work, unless they download everything now and pay the costs of hosting it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is one reason that I watch Nintendo Directs with the Steam client open, so that I can add the vast majority of third-party announcements to my wishlist from a company that actually values its customers' prior purchases.
Yet they don't have Nintendo games (emulation doesn't count)... I'll get third-parties on PC too tho, mostly for performance since current Nintendo seems good enough regarding purchases preservation

fart town usa

Gold Member
Noticed just now that the Wii U eShop isn't even on the Nintendo website anymore. Or at least I can't find it.

It was up there just the other week cause I was checking some games out.

Just doesn't make any sense to me. People bought 2D Metroid games on the Wii U eShop prior to Dread releasing. I mean, it's clear that Nintendo is just trying to shift more people to the Switch but I already own a Switch and don't use it or buy games for it. I've spent hundreds of dollars on the Wii U eShop the last few years. Negligible I'm sure, but it's revenue all the same for Nintendo. I just can't imagine that maintaining the servers is that expensive. The least they could do is deactivate the CC option to prevent potential hacks but also allow people to utilize Nintendo eShop gift cards as a way of payment. That's what Sony did with the PS3 store. Doing away with the whole thing is like shutting down a library and then burning all the books.

Last edited:

SantaC

Remember when EA gets trashed for not having servers open for a 10-15 year old game. I bet Nintendo gets a free pass for crappy practices like this.

lachesis

Ruhoh. :(

I guess I will really have to finish the remaining 2 turnabouts for that the last Phoenix Wright game... and see if the DLC's worth it.

As per Wii U - I have pretty much all games that I want physically.. but internal storage is pretty much filled up with some Wii games and all. May get some HDD, as I don't really trust internal storage.

Last time I kept up to date on the Wii U eShop, they basically stopped putting bigger releases on sale anymore.
Has that changed?

Any big Wii U retail titles that don't have a Switch equivalent?

OuterLimits

Last time I kept up to date on the Wii U eShop, they basically stopped putting bigger releases on sale anymore.
Has that changed?

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the big one I believe. Heck, even Tokyo Mirage wasn't left to die on Wii U.

SegaShack

Has that changed?

Off the top of my head there's Star Fox and NES Remix. Unless you also want to count the Zelda ports.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Has that changed?

Biggest are Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Yoshi's Wooly World. I'd even say Mario 3D World cause the speed and movement were altered in the Switch release, it's also like $20 on Wii U, same with WW HD, both are really cheap.

Devil's Third too, not a classic but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, it's actually a pretty cool game if you go into it expecting an 80s action film plot and PS2 style gameplay.

Last edited:

stranno

440px-DidYouKnowGamingLogo.jpg

RCMADIAX.png

^ This single guy developed the 5% of Wii U games, being the second most prolific developer of the system, only after Nintendo and beating Ubisoft and Bandai Namco (3rd and 4th). Because of him, Wii U was the first N console ever with more US than JP developed games.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
USB Helper downloads directly from Nintendo servers, it's not a hosted service, they just used to use the same key for every game in the Wii U generation so Nintendo barely even tried to block such a thing.

When eShop is gone for good, services like USB Helper that rely on it for downloads also wouldn't work, unless they download everything now and pay the costs of hosting it.
wrong, it's an archive to download games for free if you have the key, which everyone does. If Nintendo doesn't want to sell the games to you, steal that shit. I'm all for Nintendo being successfull and while I game mostly on PC, Nintendo is the console that gets most of my console money. But when they do stuff like this, fuck them.

LordOfChaos

wrong, it's an archive to download games for free if you have the key, which everyone does. If Nintendo doesn't want to sell the games to you, steal that shit. I'm all for Nintendo being successfull and while I game mostly on PC, Nintendo is the console that gets most of my console money. But when they do stuff like this, fuck them.

"Backup and download from eShop servers on Windows and Android" text from the download page, and common knowledge to most who use it, why so boldly be wrong instead of checking. Won't link it for piracy rules but that's no secret. Same discussion:

Wii U games all had the same key per game title, so with the key you can downloads directly from eShop servers, they never seemed to care about the wii u that much. Your download comes from Nintendo, USB Helper is just a front end to manage the titles, send them to SD, and back up titles.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
"Backup and download from eShop servers on Windows and Android" common knowledge to most who use it, why so boldly be wrong instead of checking. Won't link it for piracy rules but that's no secret. Same discussions:

lol that's the official function just like "emulation doesn't mean piracy" the games when you have the key sites, are not from the eshop.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
And one day Switch eShop will shut down. And one day Switch successor will be released with its own eShop. And you will all buy the same retro games again, for the 5th time. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

LordOfChaos

lol that's the official function just like "emulation doesn't mean piracy" the games when you have the key sites, are not from the eshop.

How would stealing games directly from the Nintendo servers be better? You're making no sense in order to keep being wrong instead of just checking how it works, when it downloads it literally connects to eShop servers after getting a title key, to which Nintendo servers go yeah whatever. Title key sites host the TITLE KEY, not the game download, it's in the name and literally what I told you.

Last edited:

Fbh

Nintendo executives when they find out people will finally no longer be able to perform the disgusting practice of digitally buying their retro games instead of renting them for a monthly fee.

7qIs.gif

Ezquimacore

Banned
How would stealing games directly from the Nintendo servers be better? You're making no sense in order to keep being wrong instead of just checking how it works, when it downloads it literally connects to eShop servers. Title key sites host the TITLE KEY, not the game download, it's in the name and literally what I told you.
I would explain it to you but that means I would have to break the rules and and you just want to be right instead of learning something. WiiUHelper wiil work after the eshop is closed just like every other site out there exists for any other archive of games. There are at least 100 backups already. btw Nintendo is the one not letting people buy stuff and making their consoles a brick.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Eliminating the Wii U and 3ds store is disastrous for those crowds I actually bought the Zelda games on the Wii U and 2ds during the pandemic, less expensive.

LordOfChaos

I would explain it to you but that means I would have to break the rules and and you just want to be right instead of learning something. WiiUHelper wiil work after the eshop is closed just like every other site out there exists for any other archive of games. There are at least 100 backups already. btw Nintendo is the one not letting people buy stuff and making their consoles a brick.

I don't need it explained, I'm literally talking about the project page, the github repo, and how the whole project works from the developers mouth.

Title key sites are a list of licence keys basically. You can download the whole thing in a tiny text document. This obviously isn't the game.

When you plug a title key site into Wii U USB Helper, it sends the one you requested to the Nintendo eShop server, and initiates the download as if it was to a Wii U. That's how it works.

Could it be modified later for downloaded repos, sure, but as of right now, you could literally go and see what IP addresses you connect to when it starts a download and it's from Nintendo. Instead of just saying "wrong" when you're wrong, find out how it works.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I don't need it explained, I'm literally talking about the project page, the github repo, and how the whole project works from the developers mouth.

Title key sites are a list of licence keys basically. You can download the whole thing in a tiny text document. This obviously isn't the game.

When you plug a title key site into Wii U USB Helper, it sends the one you requested to the Nintendo eShop server, and initiates the download as if it was to a Wii U. That's how it works.

Could it be modified later for downloaded repos, sure, but as of right now, you could literally go and see what IP addresses you connect to when it starts a download and it's from Nintendo. Instead of just saying "wrong" when you're wrong, find out how it works.
as this moment right now, people are not using Nintendo servers.

CamHostage

Well, I hate this...

Noticed just now that the Wii U eShop isn't even on the Nintendo website anymore. Or at least I can't find it.

It was only ever Deluxe, eh Nintendo?

wI3HRPw.jpg

Nintendo UK meanwhile goes all the way back to the SNES (albeit they only created pages for games that were on Virtual Console in the before-times, but their DS and Wii catalog is still listed.)

Last edited:

consoul

"We currently have no plans to offer classic content in other ways."

The wording of this statement doesn't preclude Nintendo bringing whatever content they like to the Switch eShop after making an announcement like this to stoke the flames of a (maybe not so) "last chance" shopping spree this year.

I'm not saying they will bring all this content forward, but uh, they know what they're doing here. To think they don't understand that this announcement will drive a segment of their market into buying up titles out of FOMO would be naive.

KielCasto

I have a couple hundred hours into Pocket Card Jockey. If I ever lose the ability to play it, I would hope it would come out on Switch.

Such a shame this game is stuck on the 3DS and won’t be available for purchase in the future. I’ve had a blast with it too.

Top Bottom