• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Predictions

Fake

How Nintendo does (or doesn't do) cross-generation will be fascinating.

I can only assume will be similar to Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL.

My memory don't fail in this one, so 3DS XL games can't run on the original 3DS console, but both 3DS and 3DS XL can run the regular 3DS games.
I remember one Monster Hunter game being only possible using 3DS XL.

If Nintendo Switch is not a sucessor, but rather a pro model I can see this happening very easily.

bender

What time is it?
I can only assume will be similar to Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL.

My memory don't fail in this one, so 3DS XL games can't run on the original 3DS console, but both 3DS and 3DS XL can run the regular 3DS games.
I remember one Monster Hunter game being only possible using 3DS XL.

If Nintendo Switch is not a sucessor, but rather a pro model I can see this happening very easily.

I believe the next hardware will be a successor and will have backwards compatibility, but I'm more referring to if Nintendo will produce new games that will run both on the Switch and Switch 2.

Fake

I believe the next hardware will be a successor and will have backwards compatibility, but I'm more referring to if Nintendo will produce new games that will run both on the Switch and Switch 2.

I guess will depends of whatever Nintendo will advert this new machine.

'Play Nintendo games, but better at your screen'. If they act like selling a premium product to us, sure the BC will still in place. Wasn't some sites reporting BOTW in 4k output?

I can't see Nintendo just giving up Mario Kart 8 DX just yet. IDK if the visual upgrade will be automatic, via patch or paid content. For me thats the question.

I predict I won’t care about anything from them as usual

I’m just not the audience for the games they tend to churn out each year

I’m always down for the next big Mario or Zelda but those are rare sadly

Last edited:
Please just say the word Metroid. That’s all I want.
GYsXm4w.jpeg

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
MS definitely doesn't own Donkey Kong 64, haha. They might have some say over DKR though cause it has Banjo and Conker in it, bit of a grey area on that one (Nintendo owns Diddy Kong).
MS and Nintendo have a great working relationship though. Look at the Rare games that’s MS clearly owns, yet still allow on the N64 service.

Emedan

Man if we get a Wind Waker HD port Id be so happy - also one I missed on the GC.

That’s about the best I think anyone could hope for - any bangers is at the very least a cross gen release and most likely a Switch 2 launch game.

bender

What time is it?
My prediction: Digital-only BC.

I'm more talking about future games when I refer to cross-generation). For example, will the next Mario Kart be released for both the Switch (~150 million units) and the Switch successor (a few million units).

Emedan

The most recent rumors seem to indicate physical B/C, with a DS/3DS solution where there’s a piece of plastic sticking out of the new carts to make sure they don’t fit on the old system.
DbKYE1h.jpeg

Seems very plausible imo.
This seems very plausible yes. I doubt they would need a completely new form factor, but if they did they've solved that previously as well with GBA BC for the DS.

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
I mean... the Switch 2 is the only right answer, right?
They said they were going to announce it by the end of the fiscal year (2 weeks from now.)
Direct is June 18--why wouldn't they reveal the new console when they have all of gaming media watching, as opposed to issuing a press release a week later?
I think they're saying they're not going to, so the story doesn't get written before it happens, but they're lying (IMO).
Also: it should be called the Switchii (pronounced "switchy").

Emedan

I mean... the Switch 2 is the only right answer, right?
They said they were going to announce it by the end of the fiscal year (2 weeks from now.)
Direct is June 18--why wouldn't they reveal the new console when they have all of gaming media watching, as opposed to issuing a press release a week later?
I think they're saying they're not going to, so the story doesn't get written before it happens, but they're lying (IMO).
Also: it should be called the Switchii (pronounced "switchy").
I think current fiscal year for Nintendo ends in Mars 2025.

Also where did you get that the Direct is on June 18th?

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Also where did you get that the Direct is on June 18th?
There was a trailer for some new Among Us content that went up and said “out now” with the content itself being dated for the 18th, it was then quickly removed.

So people speculate it might be a ‘shadow drop’ for this direct that they accidentally uploaded.

But who knows.

I'm not a scholar on either game but isn't Conker in DKR?
🤷‍♂️. I know they remade it for DS way way after the sale to MS so I doubt that matters much. Certainly with DK 64 it wouldn’t require no involvement from Rare or MS. It’s just Nintendo doing what they like with it, all their’s.

BlackTron

Gold Member
🤷‍♂️. I know they remade it for DS way way after the sale to MS so I doubt that matters much. Certainly with DK 64 it wouldn’t require no involvement from Rare or MS. It’s just Nintendo doing what they like with it, all their’s.

Wow it looks like Conker wasn't in the DS version...that says a lot

Deerock71

If the game contains Rare characters, they're now owned by MS, like Conker. That would be a conflict that requires, at minimum, a handshake.
You remind me of that Microsoft executive that thought because they purchased RARE they owned the Donkey Kong franchise. Is this a joke post?

Astral Dog

I'm more talking about future games when I refer to cross-generation). For example, will the next Mario Kart be released for both the Switch (~150 million units) and the Switch successor (a few million units).
i assume it will be similar to Sony and Microsoft this generation, maybe Nintendo makes more of its big games next gen only but yeah the first couple years will be cross gen heavy, MP4 will be since it was already announced, all remasters as well, but MK9 and Monoliths new game, that will be next gen as they also need system sellers , i assume the next Platinum games they announce will be Switch 2 only , but can't be sure

Mario Kart 9 specially so everybody can see it and say, damn it looks and plays different, big 3D Mario as well 🤩 but maybe a new Donkey Kong or Star Fox is cross gen

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
You remind me of that Microsoft executive that thought because they purchased RARE they owned the Donkey Kong franchise. Is this a joke post?

No it's 100% serious? DK is a Nintendo character, but per their deal Rare retained ownership of their own characters, like Conker. Which is why you have Conker Live & Reloaded on Xbox.

So when an old game contains both Nintendo and Rare characters, a license agreement between the two is necessary to re-release it. When I made this comment, I didn't even know that Conker was removed from the DS version of DKR.

Deerock71

No it's 100% serious? DK is a Nintendo character, but per their deal Rare retained ownership of their own characters, like Conker. Which is why you have Conker Live & Reloaded on Xbox.

So when an old game contains both Nintendo and Rare characters, a license agreement between the two is necessary to re-release it. When I made this comment, I didn't even know that Conker was removed from the DS version of DKR.
Conker was the first game Rare produced, with characters entirely, wholly owned by Rare. Great game, for the record. I'd bet my bottom dollar Nintendo had enough iron-clad agreements they don't have to consult with Microsoft and/or Rare to publish anything Donkey Kong related.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Conker was the first game Rare produced, with characters entirely, wholly owned by Rare. Great game, for the record. I'd bet my bottom dollar Nintendo had enough iron-clad agreements they don't have to consult with Microsoft and/or Rare to publish anything Donkey Kong related.

Then why was Conker absent from the DS version of DKR? Seems something was overlooked in their iron-clad agreement.

Well, to add gasoline to the bonfire, Nate the Hate allegedly said Metroid Prime 4 is NOT a 2024 game and expect it to release in 2025.

Which would mean it is a Switch 2 game, and possibly Switch 1.

*** If Nate the Hate has insider info ***

Fire Oops GIF

Last edited:
Well, to add gasoline to the bonfire, Nate the Hate allegedly said Metroid Prime 4 is NOT a 2024 game and expect it to release in 2025.

Which would mean it is a Switch 2 game, and possibly Switch 1.

*** If Nate the Hate has insider info ***

Fire Oops GIF
At this point it doesn't make sense not to release Prime 4 on the next Switch console. Nintendo will pull a BotW and release it on the Switch and as a launch game on the Switch 2.

At this point it doesn't make sense not to release Prime 4 on the next Switch console. Nintendo will pull a BotW and release it on the Switch and as a launch game on the Switch 2.

I agree with you. I have always thought MP4 should be held for Switch 2, As time has gone on.

Though, I am not sure it is a launch game. I have come around to thinking it is a big release 8 to 12 weeks after launch. A launch window game.

I think giving Mario or Mario Kart the spotlight and a smaller title, like Switch Sports Resort would be a good launch. We know some 3rd parties will have some big ports at launch.

People though will have melt downs if MP4 doesn‘t appear again. Too me though, as I said. I would feature it prominently in the Switch 2 commercial, if Nintendo chooses to announce Switch 2 this way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom