• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2016

Robin64

The lack of the 3D Final Fantasy remake for 3DS in the west is pretty much a crime. I played the Japanese version and it's lovely.

zroid

Banned
The lack of the 3D Final Fantasy remake for 3DS in the west is pretty much a crime. I played the Japanese version and it's lovely.

seriously

Square Enix too busy making Pokémon Go jokes on twitter than release their content outside Japan

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If Konami gets Goemon 64 on the Virtual Console I'll literally forgive them for all of their crimes.

Robin64

If Konami gets Goemon 64 on the Virtual Console I'll literally forgive them for all of their crimes.

I wouldn't hold out for any games that needed the Controller Pak for saving, to be honest. The current state of the emulator does enable that accessory to be enabled in VC titles via Homebrew (there is a line that says something along the lines of "controlpak=0") but turning it on causes it to crash in horrible ways.

I get the feeling it might not be a priority to get working at this point.

MacTag

Banned
TG16 emulation has some weird scaling artifacting going on that I can't seem to fix in the monitor settings. Does anyone know what the monitor size and ratio settings should be to get perfectly square pixels?
Okay, after some trial and error setting screen ratio to -64 seems give perfect square pixels with no scrolling artifacts on the Gamepad in Bonk and Adventure Island. R-Type's still wrong though. :/

edit: okay turns out R-Type runs at 336x224 (?!). No idea how to set that up in the VC settings and nothing I've fiddled with looks right.

Okay, after some trial and error setting screen ratio to -64 seems give perfect square pixels with no scrolling artifacts on the Gamepad in Bonk and Adventure Island. R-Type's still wrong though. :/

edit: okay turns out R-Type runs at 336x224 (?!). No idea how to set that up in the VC settings and nothing I've fiddled with looks right.
Are you keeping the size at 0?

RedBoot

I wouldn't hold out for any games that needed the Controller Pak for saving, to be honest. The current state of the emulator does enable that accessory to be enabled in VC titles via Homebrew (there is a line that says something along the lines of "controlpak=0") but turning it on causes it to crash in horrible ways.

I get the feeling it might not be a priority to get working at this point.

That always struck me as weird. Like, it's a memory card. How hard is it to add support for it?

At the same time, I don't think any first-party N64 games used it for anything vital (just ghost data in Mario Kart, Excitebike, etc), so they might just not care. Since most of the western games that used it will never see the VC anyway, at this point all you'd get from it would be Goemon and Castlevania.

(Which is still super-important if you ask me)

Now that the SNES floodgates have opened, I find it very hard NOT to buy each and every one of them. This is what I wanted!

But Final Fight.. the SNES version was always the worst version, no?

Still, very tempted.

Is there any way to play these Snes VC games with 2 players, if I owned a second 3DS?

Pokemaniac

That always struck me as weird. Like, it's a memory card. How hard is it to add support for it?

At the same time, I don't think any first-party N64 games used it for anything vital (just ghost data in Mario Kart, Excitebike, etc), so they might just not care. Since most of the western games that used it will never see the VC anyway, at this point all you'd get from it would be Goemon and Castlevania.

(Which is still super-important if you ask me)

Emulation is complicated. The controller pak specifically is set up in a pretty weird way that complicates things a bunch.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh cool, found out the NES controller that you can get for that Nintendo Classics Mini will work on the Wii or Wii U since it's the same port found on a Wii Controller.

.......I wonder if my Classic Controller would work on that NCM device....

Camjo-Z

Oh cool, found out the NES controller that you can get for that Nintendo Classics Mini will work on the Wii or Wii U since it's the same port found on a Wii Controller.

.......I wonder if my Classic Controller would work on that NCM device....

It will indeed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It will indeed.
Sweet, so glad Nintendo thought of that.

Now that the SNES floodgates have opened, I find it very hard NOT to buy each and every one of them. This is what I wanted!

But Final Fight.. the SNES version was always the worst version, no?

Still, very tempted.

Is there any way to play these Snes VC games with 2 players, if I owned a second 3DS?
SNES version tends to have the most content removed/changed, yes.

Multiplayer, I don't think that's an option sadly. I think you can still do the "controller swap" trick of holding Z & pressing Y, but it doesn't have download play like NES games, it seems.

joedick

Uh, wow. So the TG-16 emulation and "PC Engine" virtual console menu seem to be completely different from all other VC emulators.

Quite a few options in there, but unfortunately I don't see manual scans anywhere.

Konami was probably responsible for programming the emulation, that's probably why it looks a bit different than Nintendo's.

I remember Hudson said they were super-aggressive about licensing TG16 games they didn't have the rights for to put on VC. I doubt Konami will do the same (not as much money in Wii U VC due to lower install + upgrade fees). So we probably won't get as many games. Though we already have Irem's R-Type, so who knows?

Oh god TG16 looks so great on the Gamepad! Why can't NES/N64 look like this?!

I don't know if this has been discussed, but on a recent episode of the Retronauts podcast, Jeremy Parish said he had heard that the reason NES emulation on VC is darker *might* be due to concerns over seizures or something like that. I'll dig up the quote, assuming this hasn't been discussed to death already.

As someone who has owned the physical versions of Bonk, New Adventure Island and R-TYPE since the '90s, I highly encourage folks to buy these, all three are solid games, especially R-TYPE which aside from occasional slowdown is still the best console port of the game (R-TYPES on PSX may be "perfect" but it has a weird ratio setting issue where part of the game's display gets cropped a bit which takes it down a notch for me). Bonk is just a colorful, fun platformer (although Bonk's Revenge is much better as far as level design, variety and bosses go) and New Adventure Island is very underrated, I actually almost prefer it to Super Adventure Island which is a bit too slow paced for me in comparison. Just play these games for great gameplay and also so the glory days of Hudson and IREM can live on and we can hopefully get more TG-16 games. I'd get all three if I hadn't gotten my Turbo Duo repaired and recapped recently, have a ton of great TG-16 games in my library to dig into now including the cart versions of these. :)

This is a very exciting rumour indeed, hope it's true. With this and TG-16 games finally making it over it's like Virtual Console is having a long overdue mini resurgence.

In the menu you can bring up the Gamepad and TV settings separately. In each one you have Screen Mode: Default (4:3), Full (16:9 stretched), and Custom.

In custom you can manually adjust Vertical and horizontal position, screen size and screen ratio.

Woah, is this unique to the TG games?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, I really want to believe that rumor because the Bomberman games, Goemon, and MISCHIEF MAKERS HOLY CRAP, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Especially when you consider games like Goemon used the Controller Pak, which was explained above by Robin64 & Pokemaniac as being a bit complex to emulate.

............now I want Snowboard Kids 2 to get re-released. First game had the controller pak, but sequel saved onto the cartridge.

I think this list has most of the games that required the controller pak, though if anyone else can find one that's more up-to-date, feel free to post it.

One thing to note about that list.

Since it's in Japan, that would mean the listings for Bomberman 64 and Pokemon Stadium are NOT the western games.

That is because:

Bomberman 64 (in the west) is Baku Bomberman in Japan

Pokemon Stadium (in the west) is Pokemon Stadium 2 in Japan

Pokemon Stadium 2 (in the west) is Pokemon Stadium GS in Japan.

The west never got the JP Bomberman 64 and Pokemon Stadium. The latter was essentially a beta for the one the west got, with a very small amount of Pokemon and modes, where as the west got the full version with all 151 Pokemon.

Bomberman 64 in Japan was by Racjin who would go on to make Bomberman Land. This was 2D and basically a traditional Bomberman game vs the Hudson-made Bomberman 64 in the west that was in full 3D.

Pokemaniac

Man, I really want to believe that rumor because the Bomberman games, Goemon, and MISCHIEF MAKERS HOLY CRAP, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Especially when you consider games like Goemon used the Controller Pak, which was explained above by Robin64 & Pokemaniac as being a bit complex to emulate.

............now I want Snowboard Kids 2 to get re-released. First game had the controller pak, but sequel saved onto the cartridge.

I think this list has most of the games that required the controller pak, though if anyone else can find one that's more up-to-date, feel free to post it.

That rumor is based on the misguided assumption that games whose names pop up in the files of VC games will necessarily release on VC eventually. That isn't how this works.

SNES version tends to have the most content removed/changed, yes.

Multiplayer, I don't think that's an option sadly. I think you can still do the "controller swap" trick of holding Z & pressing Y, but it doesn't have download play like NES games, it seems.

Thank you for clarifying. Shame they couldn't get Download Play to work.. the prospect of portable, multiplayer Super Mario Kart would get me to buy another 3DS.

Shiggy

I just bought OlliOlli because it's on sale for 1 EUR. Feels like one of those games you found on Armor Games 10 years ago. It's not particularly polished, and doesn't have 3D. Not sure how they felt that 10 EUR would be an appropriate price.

Guess the Curve Digital ports aren't as good as the games solely developed by Curve.

TheMoon

They didn't "think of that" ...that Mini NES is just a VC machine that uses the Classic Controllers by making them think they're plugged into a Wiimote. They'd have to have gone out of their way to disable support for CC. You could play these NES with that official SNES Classic Controller.

But it's to hard to localize a game you have ten different localizations already done for over the last 30 years. And Square Enix are so broke!

This is a very exciting rumour indeed, hope it's true. With this and TG-16 games finally making it over it's like Virtual Console is having a long overdue mini resurgence.

No, it's a garbage rumor that you should forget about to avoid tears and heartache.

Not M2 but D4 Enterprise. Almost as good tbh.

D4 only did MSX, Neo Geo and VC Arcade. http://www.d4e.co.jp/

I'm really pleased with how TG16 games look on both the TV and Gamepad. I hope a lot more titles are coming this year, because I'll buy them all. This console was so criminally underrated in North America.

foltzie1

It's not that big of a deal to me, just thought it was an exciting rumour as I said in my post, sorry to hear it's junk.

It's too bad that it spread this far without anybody realizing that these files don't really mean anything.

It could mean those games were in fact tested in some amount with the emulator internally, but it doesn't account for the licenses that need to be in place to proceed with sales.

PtM

Banned
Darksiders 2 sale => Darksiders 1 incoming.

one makes sense, the other one doesn't :D

BOOM!

Wii U:

https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/Darksiders/5011518

PS4:

https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/Darksiders/5011516

XBO:

https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/Darksiders/5011517

As Reinhard Pollice confirmed to me on Twitter, Nordic Games are underway with an Action-Adventure game on Wii U, and as I and many others called it, it IS Darksiders 1!

I knew it wouldn't be Wii U-exclusive, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Thoughts? :)
Boom indeed.

TheMoon

Boom indeed.

jumping from sale to game announcement still falls under "makes no real sense" ^^

looking back, I'd call Nordic doing a reprint of the game after getting the license a stronger indicator with the knowledge we have now :p

PtM

Banned
So you guys are able to turn off the pink dot permanently? Guess it's a bug or user error on my part.
No, I'm not. I'm just saying that you don't need to enter the theme shop for disabling it.
jumping from sale to game announcement still falls under "makes no real sense" ^^

looking back, I'd call Nordic doing a reprint of the game after getting the license a stronger indicator with the knowledge we have now :p
Reprint or sale, both increase awareness for the franchise.

Top Bottom