• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2013

Cody_D165

Banned
Kinda expected Blast to be bad haha. I think Tails' Adventure I'll definitely try out at some point and leave the rest alone.

Wonder if we'll see the GG Streets of Rage versions at some point, had the first as a kid so I'd at least get some nostalgia out of it.

But yeah really glad I impulse-bought Sonic or else I probably wouldn't have discovered the excellent emulation and slick interface.

Thanks guys.

I know half of these aren't even on the service yet, but my thoughts on the GG Sonic library:

Sonic 1 is decent enough. Master System version is preferable, but the Game Gear version's fine too.

Sonic 2 is definitely a fairly solid little game, but it has a lot of bullshit dragging it down. Hang-gliding in Sky High is annoying. Pipe mazes in Scrambled Egg Zone are annoying. The total lack of rings in any and every boss fight is annoying. Plus, the first boss fight was made harder for the Game Gear version; aside from a smaller arena for you to fight it in, the bombs that drop on you (which, since the stage lacks rings, kill you in one hit) are no longer predictable. In the Master System version, they dropped with the same arc every time; some horizontal variation in placement, but easy enough. In the Game Gear version, they vary between two different arcs in addition to the horizontal variation and significantly reduced view, making the boss fight nearly impossible without inhuman skill, the ability to see into the future, uncanny amounts of luck, or save states (the last of which the 3DS VC gives you, thankfully). Master System version is recommended over the GG version, as such; you can actually see the second world.

Sonic Chaos is pretty good, although Sonic's suddenly a lot heavier and more sluggish than he was in the previous outings. Still, kinda recommended. I'm not sure which came first between the Game Gear or Master System versions, but they're pretty much identical this time around, so who cares?

Sonic Triple Trouble is even better, and yet even slower. I don't think it's particularly spectacular, but hey, recommended.

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is Puyo Puyo, but it has a puzzle mode that the home console ports didn't have. Might be worth a look for that alone.

Sonic Spinball is shit. Not like the Genesis version was going to win any awards, but it was at least kinda decent; this version, to my understanding, really isn't. Avoid.

Sonic Labyrinth... okay, this one's a guilty pleasure of mine. I do not recommend it, of course, but it's kind of like a Sonic minigolf game. People give it a bad rap because your walking speed is abysmal and your Spin Dash is nigh uncontrollable, and they're not wrong, but I've had fun with the game in spite of it.

Tails SkyPatrol has an interesting concept - a horizontal shmup with a boomerang shot - and it's interesting to see the villain designs they came up with, but it's not that good a game.

Tails Adventures is unlike any other Sonic game out there - a fairly slow-paced, stage-based Metroid-esque title, where you go through stages, throw bombs at ducks, unlock more stages, find power-ups, use those power-ups in old stages to unlock even more stages, go underwater in a drill sub, go in the air in a drill sub, etc., until you've beaten the game. Gets some bad rap from the press because it's not fast, but hell, I love it.

Sonic Blast is horrid. In their attempt to mimic Donkey Kong Country and its successful CG artstyle, they kind of let every other aspect of the game design fall to the wayside. As such, you've got a vaguely pretty (if incredibly dorky-looking) game that doesn't play well. The Special Stages are kinda shit, too, and I hear Blue Marine Zone has a huge, totally-underwater maze in it that's a fun time to work through. Do not recommend.

I didn't bother with either Sonic Drift; sorry to say, but I was never really feeling the Pole Position/Rad Racer/Outrun style of racing that these games are centered around. Stick with Mario Kart 7.

Cody_D165

Banned
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is Puyo Puyo, but it has a puzzle mode that the home console ports didn't have. Might be worth a look for that alone.

Tails Adventures is unlike any other Sonic game out there - a fairly slow-paced, stage-based Metroid-esque title, where you go through stages, throw bombs at ducks, unlock more stages, find power-ups, use those power-ups in old stages to unlock even more stages, go underwater in a drill sub, go in the air in a drill sub, etc., until you've beaten the game. Gets some bad rap from the press because it's not fast, but hell, I love it.

Yep I'm definitely sold on these two, and possibly Tails Skypatrol if it ever come out on VC, Tails-themed shmup sounds interesting. Thanks for the post.

Bah, Sonic Spinball for GG is fun! It's not super-crazy-impossible hard like the Genesis game is, so you can actually finish it. And yes, I enjoyed the game. It's a decently fun pinball game.

Sonic 2 GG's pretty poor though, and Chaos, Triple Trouble, and Blast are mediocre at best too (as are other Aspect games like World of Illusion and Deep Duck Trouble). They're way too similar; Sonics 2 through Blast all feel like inferior knockoffs of Sonic 1 GG. The originality, uniqueness, and design improvements that Sega added to each successive Genesis Sonic game don't exist on the GG; instead, the changes are minute, in terms of basic game design. It's really unfortunate. And Aspect's engine isn't that great either. Pretty graphics, mediocre performance. I would not recommend getting any GG Sonic game after the first one, honestly. The first one is good and is definitely recommended, but the others are not. Maybe get one of Chaos or Triple Trouble, but the two games are nearly identical, so only get both if you REALLY like that style. Blast's also the same, just slower and with different graphics (and with Knuckles playable instead of Tails as the second character). The game and level designs are pretty much exactly the same as Chaos and Triple Trouble, though. And 2... do NOT buy the GG version. It's broken. It's really unfortunate that it was a GG packin for quite a while, because it's not a good game.

Crystal Warriors is a fantastic game, though. It's one of my favorites for the GG. However, while it's good on its own, the GG Shining Force game that's in English isn't really worth getting either; it's also in Shining Force CD for the Sega CD, except that version is better. Play that version if at all possible. Only the third GG Shining Force game wasn't collected in the Sega CD game, but that one of course was only released in Japanese, as is also true with most GG RPGs; the system actually has a somewhat decent RPG library, if you can speak Japanese. For those who can't... it's Defenders of Oasis or nothing (or translated roms, but that's not coming to the 3DS VC of course).

It's not an Aspect game.
Really? Wikipedia and GameFAQs both say that Aspect made it.

Beyond that though, one of my biggest problems with Tails' Adventure, honestly, is that Sega was too cheap to bother putting in a battery, and instead you have to deal with 16-character passwords. Of course the other Sonic GG games all don't have any saving at all, but that's no excuse... some Sega GG games, like Crystal Warriors, Shining Force, and World Series Baseball, do have batteries. Why doesn't Tails' Adventure? Nintendo put a battery in every platformer they released on the Game Boy from 1993 on, and some before that as well, but Sega was still releasing no-saving games to the end of the GG's life. Disappointing.

Hey, just to be clear, there's no way to get Zelda Four Swords Anniversary now, right? I got it when it was free and I was the only one I knew with a 3DS. Now, all my co-workers have one, and that would be a perfect lunch break game for us.

DonMigs85

Hey, just to be clear, there's no way to get Zelda Four Swords Anniversary now, right? I got it when it was free and I was the only one I knew with a 3DS. Now, all my co-workers have one, and that would be a perfect lunch break game for us.

Don't think it's possible at all right now, but I'm really hoping they unleash it again maybe when the Link between Worlds comes out

panda21

so it seems like there are some people with japanese 3ds in here..

are there any recent demos or download games that are worth getting? (if you don't speak japanese..)

i haven't really been checking on the store recently

(bearing in mind I also have an EU 3ds)

rjc571

Banned
so it seems like there are some people with japanese 3ds in here..

are there any recent demos or download games that are worth getting? (if you don't speak japanese..)

i haven't really been checking on the store recently

(bearing in mind I also have an EU 3ds)

Chain Blaster from G-Style is a shmup with a weird chaining system. There's a demo available.

Ecco the Dolphin 3D came out this week.

It's not an Aspect game.
It is. You might be thinking Tails Skypatrol, which was headed by Sims.

From what I can find on the GG Sonic devs:

Sonic the Hedgehog = Ancient
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 = Aspect
Sonic Chaos = Aspect
Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble = Aspect
Sonic Blast = Aspect

Sonic Labyrinth = Sims / Minato Gaten
Sonic Spinball = Interactive Designs

Sonic Drift = ???
Sonic Drift 2 = Arc System Works (?)

Tails Adventure = Aspect
Tails Skypatrol = Sims / JSH

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine = Compile / ???

Ristar the Shooting Star = JSH

Bog

Junior Ace
You know Nintendo is starving us when we're pouring over and analyzing GG games no one's thought about in 20 years. And this is coming from a big time GG apologist.

If anything, Tails Adventure is a good deal, as the cart itself is one of the pricier/rarer ones.

Zombie Bowling looks awesome. At first I thought it was going to be a port of that awful looking freeware zombie bowling game. Can't wait for Chain Blaster either.

GeekyDad

You know Nintendo is starving us when we're pouring over and analyzing GG games no one's thought about in 20 years. And this is coming from a big time GG apologist.

If anything, Tails Adventure is a good deal, as the cart itself is one of the pricier/rarer ones.

Eddie Murphy's Ritz cracker? :p

zroid

Banned
If any Canadians were wondering why MSF2 costs $7 here, I tweeted Matt Bozon at WF, and he told me he'd look into it. So hopefully that gets sorted out soon! Seems like it might've been a mistake.

StatsChu

Neo Member

Yeah. I'd also like to know why we are getting NES titles instead of GB/GBC versions of series like Super Mario Brox DX. I thought Super Mario DX was great, and we only have the one Mega Man Game Boy game. Of course I'm greatful for anything on the VC, NES MM5 is a great game.

I'd also like that Metal Gear GBC game - I never finished it. And the Pokemon Trading Card game.

As a GG owner, I'm pretty sure there are no good GG games.

(as are other Aspect games like World of Illusion and Deep Duck Trouble)

I'm guessing you mean Legend of Illusion? World was the Genesis sequel.

Aspect's pretty hit and miss though, yeah. On one hand, they did the legitimately great Land of Illusion for Game Gear/Master System, and then the thoroughly boring Legend of Illusion right after that. Triple Trouble's probably their strongest Sonic platformer (Though I'll admit I'm slightly biased here. Triple Trouble was a big part of my childhood), and even then, I'd probably recommend Sonic 1 8-Bit over it.

The password system in Tails Adventure is kind of a pain in the ass, but in an age where most of the save batteries from my childhood games are dying, it's nice to have at least one game where that isn't an issue. (And the suspend & savestate features on the Virtual Console make it a non, issue, really.)

As a GG owner, I'm pretty sure there are no good GG games.
Eh, there are a handful -- GG Aleste 1 and 2 (JP and JP/EU only), Crystal Warriors and Royal Stone (JP only), Ristar, Sonic 1, Bust-A-Move... and maybe also Columns, Super Columns, Shinobi II, Zenki (JP only), Psychic World...

I'm guessing you mean Legend of Illusion? World was the Genesis sequel.
Legend of Illusion, yeah. Pretty subpar game. Deep Duck Trouble is also not good. Both have very nice graphics, a very low difficulty level, crazy amounts of slowdown, and extremely short lengths, as usual from almost all of Aspect's GG platformers. Deep Duck Trouble is so disappointing compared to The Lucky Dime Caper, that's a vastly superior game... it's a fun, somewhat above average (for the platform for sure at least), game. Of course, wasn't by Aspect.

Aspect's pretty hit and miss though, yeah. On one hand, they did the legitimately great Land of Illusion for Game Gear/Master System, and then the thoroughly boring Legend of Illusion right after that. Triple Trouble's probably their strongest Sonic platformer (Though I'll admit I'm slightly biased here. Triple Trouble was a big part of my childhood), and even then, I'd probably recommend Sonic 1 8-Bit over it.
I can't think of anything whatsoever that separates Chaos from Triple Trouble... uh, it has more blocks to bash through or something? Seriously, in a series full of zero originality, that's probably the least original one.

And as for Aspect, I haven't played Land of Illusion, but if that and Tails' Adventure are good, I'll admit that they can make some good games. I haven't played any I'd call really good from them, though. Chaos and Triple Trouble are the closest, but they're so, so bland... at least they're not GG Sonic 2 bad, but I don't think they're particularly good either.

The password system in Tails Adventure is kind of a pain in the ass, but in an age where most of the save batteries from my childhood games are dying, it's nice to have at least one game where that isn't an issue. (And the suspend & savestate features on the Virtual Console make it a non, issue, really.)
That's true, on VC the problem is solved.

zigg

I just got it and it's much better than I expected. The game has great flow and I had to force myself to stop playing to do other stuff.
Good to hear. I've had it wishlisted for a bit on reviews, but nabbed it with the sale. That said, I'm too busy playing New Leaf and barely playing Picross-e to actually start it yet.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It is. You might be thinking Tails Skypatrol, which was headed by Sims.

I was thinking of Sky Patrol, so my bad there, but I'm pretty sure Sky Patrol is a Biox game.

EDIT: I looked it up... it is a Biox game, but Biox changed their name to JSH a little while Sky Patrol and then changed it back to Biox a little while afterwards. Okay.

I don't think Super Little Acorns 3D is avalible in NZ/Aus. >_>

Why do I even have my systems set to their correct country, might as well just leave them on UK with all the switching this shit makes me do all the time.

DonMigs85

I don't think Super Little Acorns 3D is avalible in NZ/Aus. >_>

Why do I even have my systems set to their correct country, might as well just leave them on UK with all the switching this shit makes me do all the time.
That's pretty weird considering a UK studio made the game.
Anyway it's really nicely polished too. Hoping to see more from Pixel Toys

hongcha

Eh, there are a handful -- GG Aleste 1 and 2 (JP and JP/EU only), Crystal Warriors and Royal Stone (JP only), Ristar, Sonic 1, Bust-A-Move... and maybe also Columns, Super Columns, Shinobi II, Zenki (JP only), Psychic World...

That's a few handfuls! Anyway, you left out Sylvan Tale (JP Only), probably the best game on the system. If that doesn't see a 3DS VC release it will be a great disappointment.

also

Banned
Came to post this... Shinobi GG games are awesome.

I hope we eventually get the sequel but it hasn't even been released in Japan yet...

Too many pages to read but is Return of Samus any good?
Basically it's a way more linear Metroid with save points and some neat powerups like spiderball. There's a hub area from which you enter smaller sections of the planet. After you kill all the Metroids in the currents section, a new path path will open in the hub area. Go to new section, kill all the Metroids, return to the hub area and find the new path, rinse and repeat.

zroid

Banned
lol, so I was just doing a little spring summer cleaning, and I found a Japanese Club Nintendo code for the DS Lite I had imported years ago. I wonder if it's still valid.

I guess it won't really do me any good anyway; even if I could redeem some digital reward it wouldn't work on any of my systems.

if any of you guys in Japan want to give it a try, it's yours.

Somnid

Is it worth the Nintendo points or should I wait for something better?

That's a hard one to answer. It really depends on you. I'd say knowing absolutely nothing about what you like and don't like, no, perhaps not. There's been better out there for the same price.

8 bit Summer 2, featuring Kirbys Dreamland 2, Wario Land 3, Shantae, and Mario Tennis GBC. Book it.
NOA's 8bit backlog is worse than that!

Game Boy
-Double Dragon II (Aksys)
-Kirby's Dream Land 2 (Nintendo)
-Nintendo World Cup (Aksys)
-Pop'n TwinBee (Konami)
-Revenge of the 'Gator (HAL)
-The Sword of Hope (Kemco)
-Trip World (Sunsoft)

Game Boy Color
-Mario Tennis (Nintendo)
-Revelations: The Demon Slayer (Atlus)
-Shantae (WayForward)
-Wario Land 3 (Nintendo)

NES
-Adventure Island II (Konami)
-Bases Loaded (Hamster)
-Blaster Master (Sunsoft)
-Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Konami)
-City Connection (Hamster)
-Clu Clu Land (Nintendo)
-Crash 'n the Boys: Street Challenge (Aksys)
-Devil World (Nintendo)
-Donkey Kong (Nintendo)
-Donkey Kong 3 (Nintendo)
-Double Dragon (Aksys)
-Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Aksys)
-Life Force (Konami)
-Galaga (Namco Bandai)
-Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
-Milon's Secret Castle (Konami)
-Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (Tecmo Koei)
-Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom (Tecmo Koei)
-Nintendo World Cup (Aksys)
-Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (Konami)
-Renegade (Aksys)
-River City Ransom (Aksys)
-Sky Kid (Namco Bandai)
-Solomon's Key (Tecmo Koei)
-Spelunker (Tozai)
-Star Soldier (Konami)
-Summer Carnival '92 Recca (Kaga Create)
-Super Dodge Ball (Aksys)
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
-Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo)
-The Mysterious Murasame Castle (Nintendo)
-Wario's Woods (Nintendo)

Game Gear
-Crystal Warriors (Sega)
-G-LOC: Air Battle (Sega)
-Mega Man (Capcom)
-Sonic Chaos (Sega)
-Sonic Drift 2 (Sega)
-Sonic Labyrinth (Sega)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega)
-Vampire: Master of Darkness (Sega)

HYDE

Banned
Too many pages to read but is Return of Samus any good?

Know that a new area doesn't open up to you until you defeat all Metroids in their region...once you do the screen shakes and a rumble sounds accompanies it to let you know you need to discover your next area.

I beat it for my first time this year, and I thought it was awesome. Fusion is the result of what you did in Metroid II.

Many, including myself want a color/sprite remake using the Fusion/Zero Mission style of look.

Top Bottom