• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo GC 2005: "We're all wondering what the Revolution controller will look like"

How long before a console press event are invitations usually sent out to the journalists? If it's supposed to happen in the next few days I doubt they will reveal anything significant.

anthony

it (controller) will be announced via press release.

similar to the DS's features.

if there's any press conference it will be in Japan, short notice and very small bunch of the tip-top mdeia will be invited.

G-Fex said:
nintendo isn't all about touching you know.

it's about dogs, puffy pink crap, elves, girls in space suits, go karts, and monkeys.

Nobody makes fun of Kirby like that. NOBODY.

*sobs in corner*

Apenheul

I have a different perception of 'soon' than Nintendo has. I mean, at the end of 2004 (could be "very" early 2005) Nintendo said DS would be online sooner than we'd think. So I expected DS to be online right after E3, that's soon, not 9 months later.

Jonk

Usually big Nintendo news is known to be released the last week of August of each year. This is when Spaceworld would happen for them. The event isnt there anymore but the news releases are. Next week seems like a good chance. I would say, Tuesday, maybe Monday.

Vieo

quadriplegicjon said:
MS can always release a new controller with this functionality before the rev even gets released. sony can launch with it. im very curious as to what the hell is so special about the controller, but i do understand their reasoning behind not showing it yet.

Could a patent help?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
69294main_Power_Glove.jpg

+

vaseline.jpg

=

a2349869-6c75-44fe-aaa7-8dfa351a9c90.jpg

OmniGamer

Nintendo is being a cock tease of such frustratingly epic proportions that they could make an RPG out of it. Each trade show could be a different "land", with blithering idiot townspeople NPCs (Perrin Kaplan) giving you empty clues on your quest to decipher the scroll of the 3 Secretive Sages(Reggie, Iwata, and Miyamoto)...final boss? The Sony Qualia 006 SXRD 1080p HDTV.

Spike

Iwata has said that the Revolution controller will be able to run any games that developers wish to port over from the other systems. They just haven't revealed the "revolutionary" feature just yet.

The devs that want to develop for the Rev, are developing for the Rev. Just not using the "revolutionary" feature. Yet.

StRaNgE

Banned
what are the odds the the higher ups at Sony and MS do not know what this feature is?

i would think if they wanted to know they could find out somehow. $$$$$$

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
OmniGamer said:
Nintendo is being a cock tease of such frustratingly epic proportions that they could make an RPG out of it. Each trade show could be a different "land", with blithering idiot townspeople NPCs (Perrin Kaplan) giving you empty clues on your quest to decipher the scroll of the 3 Secretive Sages(Reggie, Iwata, and Miyamoto)...final boss? The Sony Qualia 006 SXRD 1080p HDTV.

:lol

SantaC

Gold Member
OmniGamer said:

omg that was good :lol

Chittagong

Gold Member
Almost exactly five years ago GameCube was unveiled!

http://www.dfcint.com/game_article/NintendoGAMECUBE.html

Nintendo GAMECUBE Update
August 24, 2000

At the Spaceworld 2000 show in Japan, Nintendo announced more details about their upcoming portable and 128-bit game systems. These new announcements helped confirm our analysis presented in the recently released DFC Intelligence report The U.S. Market for Video Games and Interactive Electronic Entertainment. This update provides a brief analysis of Nintendo’s announcements.

Highlights

The new 128-bit game system, formerly known as the Dolphin, is now officially called the Nintendo GAMECUBE. The GAMECUBE is scheduled for release in Japan in July 2001, with a U.S. release in October 2001.
The upcoming portable system is still called the Game Boy Advance. This system is scheduled for release in Japan in March 2001, with a U.S. release in July 2001.
The Nintendo version of the GAMECUBE will not be DVD based. The GAMECUBE will use a special 3 inch, 1.5 GB disc that is especially designed to prevent piracy.
Matsushita still has the rights to develop a DVD system based on the GAMECUBE technology.
There will be a strong emphasis on compatibility between the GAMECUBE and Game Boy Advance. Data can be shared between the two systems and the Game Boy Advance will be able to act as a controller for the GAMECUBE.
A narrowband (56k) and broadband modem will come as add-ons. Nintendo has not yet announced details about specific online features and services.
There will be slots for 4 MB and 64 MB memory cards.
Our Take on GAMECUBE Announcements

At Spaceworld 2000, there were no real surprises that have changed our assessment of the Dolphin/GAMECUBE. The biggest surprise was probably the custom 3" disc. However, it was anticipated that the Nintendo version of the GAMECUBE would not play DVD movies, so the 3" disc has little impact on our analysis. According to Nintendo, Matsushita still has the rights to manufacture a DVD version of the GAMECUBE that can play DVD movies. However, currently no announcements have been made about a Matsushita version of the GAMECUBE.
As we stated in The U.S. Market for Video Games and Interactive Electronic Entertainment, we think that Nintendo is making an effort to get the price of the GAMECUBE as low as possible. The latest Nintendo announcement seems to confirm that analysis. Pricing could be a major advantage for Nintendo.
Nintendo is going out of their way to stress the compatibility between the GAMECUBE and the Game Boy Advance. DFC emphasized in both The U.S. Market report and The State of Game Technology 2000 report, that exploiting compatibility between a game console system and a portable system could be a major growth possibility for the interactive entertainment industry. Nintendo has a strong advantage by being the only company with an established presence in the portable market.
Nintendo made a very interesting analogy between game systems and cars. Nintendo said while their competitors are focused on making "minivans," Nintendo is focused on a game system that is comparable to a "Ferrari." As stressed in The U.S. Market report, our concern with Nintendo has been that they may be too focused on core gamers, possibly at the expense of more casual game players. The car analogy provides an interesting example. Of course, car buffs generally prefer Ferraris, but minivans sell in much greater numbers.

Nintendo first mentioned a successor to the Nintendo 64 on March 3, 1999, a day after Sony's announcement of the PlayStation 2. Two months later, on May 12, 1999, Nintendo of America's chairman Howard Lincoln officially announced the console, which would be codenamed "Dolphin."

In classic form, Nintendo remained quiet for over a year about "Dolphin," preferring to focus on the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Color at E3 2000. It wasn't until August 24, 2000, a day before Spaceworld 2000, that the company officially unveiled the GameCube, the end result of the "Dolphin" project.

Ruzbeh

Banned
StRaNgE said:
what are the odds the the higher ups at Sony and MS do not know what this feature is?

i would think if they wanted to know they could find out somehow. $$$$$$
I'm sure King Ken Kutaragi and His Majesty Bill Gates don't take Iwata the shoeshiner and his revolution seriously.

OmniGamer said:

:lol

holy shit that's the funniest thing I have read on this forum! haaha great stuff

Ruzbeh said:
I'm sure King Ken Kutaragi and His Majesty Bill Gates don't take Iwata the shoeshiner and his revolution seriously.
considering what's going down in japan right now, i'd imagine that at the very least Kutaragi and co. are.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Johnny Nighttrain said:
considering what's going down in japan right now, i'd imagine that at the very least Kutaragi and co. are.

What's goin down in Japan?

SantaC

Gold Member
Johnny Nighttrain said:

though handhelds has always been a great chapter for Nintendo.

Oblivion

Mallrat83 said:
The new way of playing games handheld Nintendo DS is raping Sony's walkman for the 21st century.

Oh. I thought he was referring to something console wise.

SantaCruZer said:
though handhelds has always been a great chapter for Nintendo.
be that as it may, (and even though i tend not to agree with him) i think steven kent said it best when he said Nintendo is a legacy company, and has everything needed to compete with MS and Sony on every level. even though he said this back in 2002 when Nintendo was pretty much still Yamauchi, the funds have only increased since then.

next life cycle, Iwata (Nintendo) will not only not hold back when competing with Sony and MS for the current demographic, but will also continue to go on with their current agenda of expanding the market, and expanding the definition of what a game can be.

edit: i forgot to mention that they also have all the proper tools to do so. all the pieces are almost in place.

Johnny Nighttrain said:
next life cycle, Iwata (Nintendo) will not only not hold back when competing with Sony and MS for the current demographic, but will also continue to go on with their current agenda of expanding the market, and expanding the definition of what a game can be.

So you're saying that they held back in the current generation even when they got RE exclusive and cooperated with third parties for exclusive content?

mattx5

Am I the only one who thinks that the *big* Revolution controller surprise is just that it's going to be a regular, intuitive, easy to use controller? All of Nintendo's controllers (N64 is debatable) have been.

They want to lure in new gamers, and they're going to do that with an ergonomic controller. No fucking gyro, no touch pads, no rub action, no hot/cold, just a well designed, comfortable controller with an ace button layout.

mj1108

mattx5 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the *big* Revolution controller surprise is just that it's going to be a regular, intuitive, easy to use controller? All of Nintendo's controllers (N64 is debatable) have been.

They want to lure in new gamers, and they're going to do that with an ergonomic controller. No fucking gyro, no screens, no hot/cold, just a well designed controller.

I have a feeling the reaction will be along the lines of the DS. Prior to the unveiling of the DS people speculated and speculated on what it would look like, button layouts, etc... Then when it was finally revealed it was more of a "Duh... why didn't I think of that?" reaction.

Chittagong

Gold Member
mj1108 said:
I have a feeling the reaction will be along the lines of the DS. Prior to the unveiling of the DS people speculated and speculated on what it would look like, button layouts, etc... Then when it was finally revealed it was more of a "Duh... why didn't I think of that?" reaction.

Exactly. The first time I saw the DS I thought "this is a Game Boy with two screens and Super NES button layout." It wasn't even apparent how crucial the touch screen would become. And the screenshot was of Mario Kart, with another screen used for map.

Ristamar

mj1108 said:

But will it make me say, "wow"...?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
OmniGamer said:

I almost spit out my drink reading that. :lol :lol Nice one!

Zerodoppler said:
So you're saying that they held back in the current generation even when they got RE exclusive and cooperated with third parties for exclusive content?
i was reffering to marketing. to say they held back with GameCube would be complete bullshit (online aside). they fixed just about every single last mistake that they made with the Nintendo 64.

they'll compete from a graphical standpoint as well. Iwata said not too long ago that the system will definitely be able to hold its own. not to mention that Nintendo has straight up said "we believe a stronger CPU, and great graphics card is only the price of entry".

after all, all that R&D money can't possibly go to nothing right?

besides, 3rd parties genuinely want to develop for Revolution regardless of what they lead people to believe about what they know about the system. just because it's top secret doesn't mean a shit load of stuff isn't going on behind the scenes.

Ruzbeh

Banned
mattx5 said:
They want to lure in new gamers, and they're going to do that with an ergonomic controller. No fucking gyro, no touch pads, no rub action, no hot/cold, just a well designed, comfortable controller with an ace button layout.
Hey, it could still have gyro. Dude. Gyro stuff is easy to use and build it inside the controller so you don't need to change anything on the controller's exterior.

polg

I'm worried that the controller will end up like Mr Garrison's "IT Vehicle"... and nintendo will 4$$ rape us all...

Oblivion

Johnny Nighttrain said:
i was reffering to marketing. to say they held back with GameCube would be complete bullshit (online aside). they fixed just about every single last mistake that they made with the Nintendo 64.

There was only one mistake with the N64, and that was the cartridge issue. Nintendo fixed that, while creating a whole slew of other problems to replace it.

Oblivion said:
There was only one mistake with the N64, and that was the cartridge issue. Nintendo fixed that, while creating a whole slew of other problems to replace it.
the development enviroment was ass shit too apparently. they ended up making the GameCube the easiest development enviroment out of all the current systems.

in any case, what are these slew of problems you speak of?

Oblivion

Johnny Nighttrain said:
in any case, what are these slew of problems you speak of?

-stupid shaped look
-stupid default color (I don't care what you say, the GC will always be remembered as being purple)
-stupid experimental/gimmicky games
-lack of quality control on their own franchises (with very FEW exceptions)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well I'd add:

- lack of dvd playback
- less storage space making multiformat games awkard to port, as well as bigger games being forced onto 2 discs
- needlessly changing the button layout, again causing problems with some multiplatform games as well as confusing people
- releasing a modem and broadband adaptor then completely failing to support it

GC fixed a lot of the problems with the N64, but it did have it's own share of mistakes. If it didn't there would be no need for the Revolution to be addressing them would there ;)

Luckett_X

Banned
ohhhh, so the gamecube solved all of nintendo's errors in the past with the n64? Jesus christ, i know you're obviously a prophet for the big N, but fuck, take off that holographic visor and look upon the real world.

-Nintendo ignored online, dismissing it as a fad, theyve finally realised that as a mistake and one generation later hop on board. subsequently they now brand HDTV gaming as a fad, as well as raw power of rivals. wonder how thats gonna turn out in the long run!
-After a short period of 3rd party attraction, here we are again with a dead lifeless system on life-support with only 1st party titles to look forward to.
-disc format meant gamecube got shafted in most multiplatform efforts due to not enough space.
-gameboy advance connectivity was the biggest shitfest ever, and a massive waste of focus.
-Europe still getting the shaft after assurances it wouldnt.

And I don't know at what stage your confidence in talking smack to people on the basis of the Revolution grew back, maybe you just like to show up when other real inside sources say stuff is happening soon, but I hope for your sake some really big Revolution news does come out of this week and that it is as powerful as your delusional basis-less prophecies suggest.

Nash said:
- lack of dvd playback
well, you can't knock it for not having DVD playback considering that it's a game machine, and a game machine only. after all, no one is gonna give ferrari shit for not putting LCD screens and DVD players in their cars right?

Nash said:
- less storage space making multiformat games awkard to port, as well as bigger games being forced onto 2 discs
there was like a handful of games that had trouble due to the fact that there was less space, even then, it was mainly multimedia related. nothing that tarnished gameplay. i don't remember having to swap disc affecting my enjoyment of Skies, Twin Snakes, or RE4.

Nash said:
- needlessly changing the button layout, again causing problems with some multiplatform games as well as confusing people
GameCube button layout confusing people? um...right.

Nash said:
- releasing a modem and broadband adaptor then completely failing to support it
at the very least, they never said they intended to. granted, i will agree that they dropped the ball on the whole online support. yet, at the same time, i can't really blame them for not jumping on the bandwagon this gen.

Oblivion said:
The sales comparisons would agree with me.
using this logic wouldn't make the xbox fair too well either now would it?

Sweet Prince said:
-memory cards launched with the system were too small for games like Madden
can't argue with that.

Johnny Nighttrain said:
there was like a handful of games that had trouble due to the fact that there was less space, even then, it was mainly multimedia related. nothing that tarnished gameplay. i don't remember having to swap disc affecting my enjoyment of Skies, Twin Snakes, or RE4.

Skies for Gamecube was on one disk, unless you're talking about the DC version...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Johnny, if you were so happy with the GC and it's righting of all the N64's sins, then why did you get excited over the Revolutions 'sexy' new look and what we know about it so far?

They've dropped the purple toylike appearance.
They've adopted a standard sized media.
They've included DVD-playback as an option
They are going online.

Nintendo by their actions have conceded many of the things they did with the GC were a mistake. Success in the market, and gaining the support of developers, is as much about how you compare to your rivals as to what you do yourself.

Luckett_X said:
-Nintendo ignored online, dismissing it as a fad, theyve finally realised that as a mistake and one generation later hop on board.

I agree with you mainly, but Nintendo not going online this gen was a mistake? How so? They lost, what, Burnout 3 and...? And what did Sony gain by going online this gen?

Top Bottom