• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Has Done It For Me

The Nintendo switch is the best handheld I have ever played. I had one about 3 years ago in 2020 for 2 or 3 months. I beat marvel ultimate alliance 3, Pokémon sword, played super smash , Mario kart, xenoblade and super Mario but, I took that shit for granted and sold it. I bought it back and now that I have the switch lite, I been impressed and satisfied. I am able to play Nintendo games and the 3rd party support is crazy. I didn’t even know they had wolfenstein , dying light, doom, and shit like that on the switch.

I believe all the PlayStation, pc, Xbox shit was conditioning me into frame rate this and resolution that, but playing gta, and 2k23, and South Park on switch lite, Im able to ignore all that shit and actually have fun gaming again. Nintendo has done it again.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
...but playing gta, and 2k23, South Park on switch lite Im able to ignore all that shit and actually have fun gaming again. Nintendo has done it again.

seriously-meh.gif

DonF

Nintendo = exclusives to me, and that means software. I like that sometimes I can play with my switch on the go, but most of the time I use it docked.

I would really love it if they tried with more powerful hardware next gen cause even though they can squeeze every drop of their systems, they still fall short. Both Zeldas have very noticeable frame drops, pop in and a style that clearly tries to overcome inferior hardware

I was in the shitter earlier tonight playing Tears Of The Kingdom on my OLED Switch thinking the same thing. The bigger screen, popping colors, the whole console catalog on the go. It really is awesome. The only gripe I have with it is having to pay a monthly subscription fee to play the classics.

Can anyone recommend me some more gems? I’m kinda turning up short here nothing is really appealing to me but I have an open mind for anything.

I have beaten TOTK, loved it, beat Mario odyssey, really liked it. And me and my gf love playing mario kart 8 and smash bros ultimate together. But I want more. I’d try pokemon or Kirby if they’re good

Last edited:

Edmund

Can anyone recommend me some more gems? I’m kinda turning up short here nothing is really appealing to me but I have an open mind for anything.

I have beaten TOTK, loved it, beat Mario odyssey, really liked it. And me and my gf love playing mario kart 8 and smash bros ultimate together. But I want more. I’d try pokemon or Kirby if they’re good

Tactics Ogre reborn is really good.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Metroid Dread my friends

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Bayonetta 3, Xenoblade series, Fire Emblem

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo = exclusives to me, and that means software. I like that sometimes I can play with my switch on the go, but most of the time I use it docked.

I would really love it if they tried with more powerful hardware next gen cause even though they can squeeze every drop of their systems, they still fall short. Both Zeldas have very noticeable frame drops, pop in and a style that clearly tries to overcome inferior hardware
Same here but with any console... If something is on PC, I'll rather get it there. Having said that, it's an amazing console EVEN if it's the only gaming platform someone has, I know friends that use theirs as main and only console, not that they don't like other consoles but they don't feel like rushing to get something else and all they play is third parties, indies, and sometimes Nintendo games since they are more expensive.

Mozza

I would say so before Steam Deck came out, Switch was definitely THE BEST portable gaming device when it launched in 2017.

However ones I've tasted Steam Deck I can never go back
I am not really sure what the Steam Deck offers to make it a more mass market device, the power is always debatable to who is really all that interested outside of the core, and the machine still has it's issues, ie the 720p screen, which was a travesty on the Switch, but totally acceptable on the Steam Deck.

Also not sure how many people that are obsessed with graphics would choose to play still downgraded versions on a handheld, even if it is more powerful then the Switch. To me the device looks like a solid emulation platform, which while excellent for this purpose, will only every appeal to a core audience.

The Switch has shown, and continues to demonstrate how niche the core hobby gamers are, and the masses would buy a Switch and probably not even be aware the Steam Deck exists.

KXVXII9X

Astral Chain

Splatoon 2/3

Monster Hunter Rise and Stories 2

Super Mario Maker 2

Mario and Rabbids series

Xenoblade series

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Luigi's Mansion 3

Dragon Quest Builders 2

Neo: TWEWY

Metroid Prime Remaster
and Metroid Dread

Nintendo Online Expansion Pass(has a lot of good classic casual two player game you and your gf can play together)

Mr Hyde

Switch is an amazing console and handheld. I've never really been into Nintendo hardware, the only console I ever loved from them was the Gamecube. I skipped the SNES and Wii U, and N64 and Wii did nothing for me. I was in the Playstation camp and never looked back. And when Switch arrived I was very apathetic towards it initially. It wasn't until my brother in law showed it to me a year later with Super Mario Odyssey that it clicked for me. I bought one with Breath of the Wild and I was hooked. Loved the concept of switching between portable and tv. Loved the small form factor as opposed to the bulky PS4. It got me into handheld gaming, something I've tried a couple of times but could never get into. Then I got the OLED model which was even better. And now I have amassed a large collection of games. All ready to go, anytime anywhere. Nintendo Switch made me realize how much I missed Nintendo exclusives. And that they can provide good and innovative hardware that the competition doesn't want to make or know how to make. I love hybrid gaming setups. I think that's the future going forward for video games.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I am not really sure what the Steam Deck offers to make it a more mass market device, the power is always debatable to who is really all that interested outside of the core, and the machine still has it's issues, ie the 720p screen, which was a travesty on the Switch, but totally acceptable on the Steam Deck.

Also not sure how many people that are obsessed with graphics would choose to play still downgraded versions on a handheld, even if it is more powerful then the Switch. To me the device looks like a solid emulation platform, which while excellent for this purpose, will only every appeal to a core audience.

The Switch has shown, and continues to demonstrate how niche the core hobby gamers are, and the masses would buy a Switch and probably not even be aware the Steam Deck exists.
Steam Deck has cheaper games, better version of the same game, better control scheme (especially for RTS games) with more button and customization, better performance, better battery saving setting (if playing games with identical spec to Switch, the battery is not shorter if you cap frame rate and resolution with just one push of button), 3rd party controllers, much more powerful hardware, take less space in the bag if you are traveling (a HDMI cable takes less space than an Switch Dock), emulations, much more variety of games (The PC library is huge)

Switch do have cheaper price and better screen (OLED version), but with how expansive Switch games are, the price gap of the hardware is almost none existent, Deck is heavier than Switch, but weight is not everything, Deck's controller is much easier to grip than Joy-con, for Switch when every time I'm playing some control intensive games (No way I'm playing Bayonetta 2 with a Joy-con) I have to use the Pro controller, sacrificing portability which I don't have to on the Deck

Although Deck was branded handheld PC, but its easy of use is identical to consoles, it's not only aimed at core gamer, it makes PC gaming easier than ever due to its unified spec just like console, and because of unified spec for games like Elden Ring on Deck was the only platform of the game that are totally free of shader compilation stutter

Switch was very good for its time, but compare to Deck its outdated in every aspect except for the OLED screen, to me Switch now only serves to play exclusive games

Last edited:

Mozza

Steam Deck has cheaper games, better version of the same game, better control scheme (especially for RTS games) with more button and customization, better performance, better battery saving setting (if playing games with identical spec to Switch, the battery is not shorter if you cap frame rate and resolution with just one push of button), 3rd party controllers, much more powerful hardware, take less space in the bag if you are traveling (a HDMI cable takes less space than an Switch Dock), emulations, much more variety of games (The PC library is huge)

Switch do have cheaper price and better screen (OLED version), but with how expansive Switch games are, the price gap of the hardware is almost none existent, Deck is heavier than Switch, but weight is not everything, Deck's controller is much easier to grip than Joy-con, for Switch when every time I'm playing some control intensive games (No way I'm playing Bayonetta 2 with a Joy-con) I have to use the Pro controller, sacrificing portability which I don't have to on the Deck

Although Deck was branded handheld PC, but its easy of use is identical to consoles, it's not only aimed at core gamer, it makes PC gaming easier than ever due to its unified spec just like console, and because of unified spec for games like Elden Ring on Deck was the only platform of the game that are totally free of shader compilation stutter

Switch was very good for its time, but compare to Deck its outdated in every aspect except for the OLED screen, to me Switch now only serves to play exclusive games
All those things you mention are of little importance to the wider mass market, and to be honest most will not even be aware. Which is why the Steam Deck will remain niche, which was Valve's intention in the first place, it was never designed to take Nintendo head on as it were.

SeraphJan

All those things you mention are of little importance to the wider mass market, and to be honest most will not even be aware. Which is why the Steam Deck will remain niche, which was Valve's intention in the first place, it was never designed to take Nintendo head on as it were.
Steam Deck was always demand over supply since it launched, cheaper games and bigger library, better ergonomic controller, controller scheme that are suitable for all types of games, ease of use, these alone are important for a device to succeed, I don't see how most of the thing I've listed are not important, Steam Deck doesn't have marketing that are on the scale of Switch, but that has nothing to do with the device itself.

Last edited:

Mozza

Steam Deck was always demand over supply since it launched, cheaper games and bigger library, better ergonomic controller, controller scheme that are suitable for all types of games, ease of use, these alone are important for a device to succeed, I don't see how most of the thing I've listed are not important, Steam Deck doesn't have marketing that are on the scale of Switch, but that has nothing to do with the device itself.
It was in massive demand because it launched during a worldwide chip shortage, pretty sure you can get one pretty easily now, and of course Valve would have been hedging their bets initially with production of a potentially niche device, so demand was always going to higher than supply.

Last edited:

Laieon

OP also said he's liking his Switch Lite though, and when it comes to size Steam Deck is a beefy boy. As someone who one bag travels across the planet a couple times a year, I wouldn't even consider packing my Steam Deck (to be fair, I don't bring my Switch either, but if I did choose one of them it sure as hell wouldn't be my Steam Deck). It might take up less size than a Switch + Dock, but I think that's also assuming that people aren't primarily playing the Switch portably (I've personally only used my Switch docked a handful of times). A Switch on its own definitely doesn't take up more space than a Steam Deck.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

OP also said he's liking his Switch Lite though, and when it comes to size Steam Deck is a beefy boy.
I'm not against what OP is preferring, I'm stating what I'm preferring
I would say so before Steam Deck came out, Switch was definitely THE BEST portable gaming device when it launched in 2017.

However ones I've tasted Steam Deck I can never go back
This was my original comment

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Since you like 3rd party games, send a letter to Ms and sony and wake one of them up so we can enjoy some more portable gaming competition, and force Nintendo to update thier ancient hardware. Secretly hoping they release something stupid so that they can go back to humble Nintendo for a generation instead of scamming Nintendo. Switch for $299 in 2022? It should be $199 or $149.

I love Nintendo games, which makes this even more annoying that you have to turn to emulation to play them with modern graphics. Switch 2 and price drop both massively overdue.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I'm super excited to see what Nintendo cooks up with the Switch 2. Both considering the console itself, but mostly where they'll take Mario and Zelda next. My dream Zelda would be Wind Waker 2, but with a massive world like BotK. And with a focus on story and atmosphere instead of gadgets and doodads.

Last edited:
Just to put this out there, I’ll rather wait on the switch 2 or whatever it is than get a steam deck. In addition to that, I would get the asus rog ally before the steam deck if I was to go that route. The Switch Lite literally fits in my pocket and I like it too much and I’m satisfied with the purchase. Can’t wait to see what Nintendo has planned next! Maybe Mario Kart 9 and a new Super Smash and Pokémon for the next Switch year 1? I’ll be there day one!

Just wait till you try the steam deck lmao

Edit: nvm lol enjoy your switch, they are lots of fun

Speaking of which, do they make different shaped joy cons? Like joy cons with a bit more ergonomics? I've been using the ones that came with my switch (they have horrible drift now) and would prefer to buy some ergonomic ones as replacements

Edit again: I think I'm gonna try Factorio on the switch. Factorio with switch tier mobility seems, well, both amazing and dangerous.

Last edited:
Just to put this out there, I’ll rather wait on the switch 2 or whatever it is than get a steam deck. In addition to that, I would get the asus rog ally before the steam deck if I was to go that route. The Switch Lite literally fits in my pocket and I like it too much and I’m satisfied with the purchase. Can’t wait to see what Nintendo has planned next! Maybe Mario Kart 9 and a new Super Smash and Pokémon for the next Switch year 1? I’ll be there day one!

I hope for full backwards compatibility
I hope for TFLOPs wise around XBONE/PS4 level
8 GB DDR4

Give Factorio a shot. It may not be your cup of tea, but if it is, you will be drinking tea for a long, long time.

For good reasons, most of us are expecting there to be a "Switch 2". If any of the current platform holders is known for radically changing hardware strategies, it's Nintendo. Gonna be laughing my ass off if they show a stationary console or something else in the coming months.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The Oled is a monster. Premium build, 8 hour battery life and an incredible display with minimal bezels.

It is up there with the GOAT consoles, and continues to mature like a fine wine.

The only concern I ever had was with drift, and Nintendo recently brought their warranty-less repair policy to the UK.

Synless

The Oled is a monster. Premium build, 8 hour battery life and an incredible display with minimal bezels.

It is up there with the GOAT consoles, and continues to mature like a fine wine.

The only concern I ever had was with drift, and Nintendo recently brought their warranty-less repair policy to the UK.
8 hour battery life my ass. I’ve had the OLED since launch and 4-5 hours at best depending on the game.

Yeah, fuck resolution and framerate, raytracing, and advanced rendering methods. Fuck high-end gaming, because something something handheld, Nintendo, having fun with gaming again.

It's not like you can have fun gaming on a PS5 or XSX that has all that other shit. No fun allowed on those systems amirite? /s

Talk about a silly false dichotomy.

Patrick S.

Banned
I have two launch Switches, and both of them had drifting sticks on the left joy-con. Of course I went out and spent like €45 to buy sticks with optical sensors for both of them literally the day before Nintendo anounced they would fix the joy-cons outside of the warranty now grgrgrgrgrgrgrrgr

At least, the optical sticks are supposed to never develop drift, so let's see how that pans out. For now they work flawlessly.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I like the screen in my oled Switch. I really hope Nintendo's next box is similar to Switch. I enjoy the versatility.
I think I'd prefer something like a Switch Lite 2 for on the go, together with a software compatible Switch 2 home unit.

Less flexible and more expensive, but they could ditch the flimsy joy-cons and have a sleek portable device, and have a dedicated home console, maybe even with a more powerful chip, for higher fidelity for playing on your TV.

Last edited:
Top Bottom