• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Press Conference

Hollywood

Banned
bitwise said:
well geesh read all the negative responses

obviously you're missing something.

::shakes head::

What exactly was incorrect about what I posted? Is that not all of what people have been wanting since, forever? I don't understand where the negativity comes from. People bitch, bitch, bitch, about certain things and then they are fufilled, and they still bitch? Yes, makes sense.

Krowley

Gaia Theory said:
I'm going to say it. I'm going to be hung for saying it.

It doesn't matter when Nintendo completes the Revolution puzzle for us. We will all be blown away. Whether it happened at E3, Spaceworld, tomorrow on the show floor... whatever. It sucks to keep waiting, but the pieces are slowly falling into place. It's going to rock, I love what I know already and am sad that I don't know more.

i agree in a sense. what i know about the revolution is all stuff that i like... it's probably gonna be low priced so it will make a great secondary console, i'll be able to download classic nintendo games... thats really cool...

but if you don't have any gamecube software to show, you have to show something from your next console... otherwise your leaving your fans in limbo.. there is only one gamecube game i'm really hyped for and after that i have nothing else to look forward too. that means the cube is pretty much dead. i'm a console gamer, not a handheld gamer, i want to see nintendo's next console games, and most of them are obviously for revolution. i'm just tired of waiting and i forsee a long wait after zelda before i get to play anything else really cool from nintendo and as a nintendo fan, that sucks.

etiolate

Banned
By not s howing anything aboutt he Revoution except the hardware design, Nintendo just opened themselves up to tons of negative speculation. Complete PR imbeciles.

Rlan

The problem I had with the conference was that almost everything we knew about already. Besides the GBMicro, everything was known, and half the games were from last year as well [Although Battalion Wars looks a LOT better].

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Honestly, these reactions, There's no doubting it was a disappointing conference, the worst of the 3 by far, but some people go so overboard.

It's not like we haven't heard these things before. You can claim it's over between you and Nintendo or whatever all you like, but let's face it, when Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Advance Wars etc show up on the next system...you'll crack. But by all means, burn your Nintendo shirts now if it'll stop you putting your fist through the wall.

I REALLY hope some journalists have the balls to call Nintendo on this. Should make for fun reading of interviews!

puck1337

My feelings are as follows:

- I hope that the old software is cheaply available, and that the N64 stuff is enhanced via aggressive emulation (texture replacement, resolution bumping, etc.).

- I'm excited about the DS, despite the lack of real surprises here. Online play, no matter how rudimentary, and regardless of the graphical quality, is something that Nintendo fans have been waiting for for a very long time.

- The new GB is wild, and will push huge numbers provided that it's cheap enough. I presume this means that the SP will be discontinued shortly. This also seems to buy another year or two for the DS to mature before a true GB successor is announced.

- The Revolution design is nice and sleek, if a bit too understated. It still doesn't have anything that identifies it from some generic piece of network hardware. This thing isn't a commodity device, and it needs to be easily identifiable. There has to be a happy medium between this and the GCN design.

- I like the idea of internal flash memory. It isn't as heavy/hot/costly as a hard drive, and still allows some persistent storage without having to buy something extra. That said, a hard drive option would be nice, and I'm expecting one.

- For all of my heckling on the DC hub, the PC pretty much followed my expectations.

And finally, for the Canadians out there, Belinda Stronach jumped ship to the Liberal party.

bitwise

Banned
Hollywood said:
::shakes head::

What exactly was incorrect about what I posted? Is that not all of what people have been wanting since, forever? I don't understand where the negativity comes from. People bitch, bitch, bitch, about certain things and then they are fufilled, and they still bitch? Yes, makes sense.

huh? you were wondering why people were reacting negatively.. and I directed you to read the 20+ pages of negative responses. Since all the complaints are right in here.

Yeah, I know they didn't make it into that IGN article you were referencing, but anyways.

suaveric

The probelm is that Sony made an awesome decision to cut off the 360 at the knees right now and Nintendo thought that party was next year. Sony moved it up and kicked ass.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So Nintendo pulled another "We don't want Sony and Microsoft to steal out ideas, so we won't show anything." So Grizzly ended up being right in the end...Sony and Microsoft are fucking done, they each got their own ideas and actual games!

Like I've been saying for years, MARIO 128 doesn't fucking exist. Nintendo needs to give me Zelda, and then they must get the fuck out of my house. :lol

Where do I sign up for that one console future?

Mama Smurf said:
It's not like we haven't heard these things before. You can claim it's over between you and Nintendo or whatever all you like, but let's face it, when Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Advance Wars etc show up on the next system...you'll crack. But by all means, burn your Nintendo shirts now if it'll stop you putting your fist through the wall.

Too late for me-- I already skipped the GameCube, and have resisted buying a DS (thanks to the PSP) so far as well!

Sure, not everybody will give up on Nintendo-- but some will.

Ironically, the BC back though the NES makes me think I might actually get one-- especially since I skipped Cube, and there are some games I would get.

Tyrael

That was the last time I have expected something good from Nintendo.

They could even make a great Spaceworld, showing a lot of Revolution stuff, but I don't believe in the sucess of this system anymore, and I will not do the same mistake again to start in a new console generation with a Nintendo console, like I did with the Cube.

All hail to Drinky Crow, the truth-speeker.

This was the only conference I watched, but I do not understand how any of the other conferences were any better. XBox 360 really lacked high profile games, and the console itself was predictable, no huge surprises and overall a rather conservative conference. The unveailing of the PS3 and line up really just confirmed when we knew a couple of months ago, and footage from games we knew were coming out.

Are most people here really that shallow that footage or even a simple render is considered so much more exciting the unvealing of a high-profile game or an exciting console feature?

On record I was disappointed with all the conferences, I was expected to learn about revolution even though Nintendo really seamed hesitant on its unvealing, I was also expected Mario 128 are some other unannounced games, but I was impressed but the DS games. I do however prefer the Nintendo conference over Microsofts, because with Microsoft's conference I was disappointed because they showed everything they had and I was not really impressed by any of it, but with Nintendo's conference I was disappointed because they did not show enough. I rather have games announced that can retain my anticipation leading up to its release, and not show me some early build that lowers my expectations.

However I think if Nintendo decided to wait they should of not showed Revolution at all, they expect it to compare to systems that are fully realised.

Amir0x

Banned
Hollywood said:
WTF is people's problem? I missed the conference but read theplay by play on IGN, and isn't this what people wanted to see? The Revolution is sleek as hell, Super Smash Bros. at LAUNCH online capable, able to download EVERY NINTENDO GAME EVER MADE. A new Super Mario Bros. game out this year, which people have been wanting for YEARS. A new mature Zelda game out this year, people have been wanting for years. The ability to play Mario Kart online for DS, which people have been wanting for years.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this doesn't sound bad to me.

Because what we wanted from this conference was news about shit we already knew, no next-gen game footage whatsoever from Rev, no image of controller/control scheme, news of 28 different Mario property titles, Electroplankton shit DJ rave and 30 minutes of Tina Woods playing Nintendogs and flirting with Miyamoto.

My prayers are fucking answered.

akascream

Banned
I walked away happy. Nice case, wifi, online plan, free online for 1st party games, and all nintendo games are playable on revolution. I just hope its on par power-wise, as that metroid footage (what I could see anyway) didn't blow me away.

Several DS games I'm interested in. Zelda looks hot. New gba mini is also way hot imo.

I want to see more of battalion wars, advanced wars DS, castlevania DS, metroid hunters and zelda.

Mama Smurf

Ignatz Mouse said:
Too late for me-- I already skipped the GameCube, and have resisted buying a DS (thanks to the PSP) so far as well!

Sure, not everybody will give up on Nintendo-- but some will.

Ironically, the BC back though the NES makes me think I might actually get one-- especially since I skipped Cube, and there are some games I would get.

Well that's fair enough, there's always people who "leave" for legitimate reasons, it's the people who claim they're going to in knee jerk reactions to a poor press conference that amuse.

DarkCloud

Hollywood said:
WTF is people's problem? I missed the conference but read theplay by play on IGN, and isn't this what people wanted to see? The Revolution is sleek as hell, Super Smash Bros. at LAUNCH online capable, able to download EVERY NINTENDO GAME EVER MADE. A new Super Mario Bros. game out this year, which people have been wanting for YEARS. A new mature Zelda game out this year, people have been wanting for years. The ability to play Mario Kart online for DS, which people have been wanting for years.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this doesn't sound bad to me.

The highlight of the show was Mia getting it on with "dog with Mario hat on"

And then Miyamoto took Tina backstage cause no damn virtual dog was getting one up over him.

Mama Smurf

The Main Event said:
I don't know if someone mentioned it but, what was that trailer Johnny Nightrain saw at the showfloor that got him excited?

You mean Metroid? He was talking about that so i guess that's what you mean. He clearly did see it, it even lasted about as long as he said...but...ermm...I don't know why it's exciting.

jgkspsx

Mama Smurf said:
There's no doubting it was a disappointing conference, the worst of the 3 by far, but some people go so overboard.
What else is new? Drama Age is back again...

The only thing I got out of that conference was that I'm buying the Game Boy Shuffle. It looks like the most comfortable take on the system yet -- I really like the d-pad.

MacGuffin

I was happy with what I got from E3.

I wanted Animal Crossing DS Online, I knew it was coming, I saw it.

Smash Brothers at Launch, sweet, now get out some other titles too.

Revolution looks nice, no controller, but I am ok with that, I do like the downloadable games. That is very exciting news to me, some of the SNES stuff is hard to find and a Nintendo run emulator will be the best yet, plus, playing roms on PC has never been fun for me, and even the GBA Flash Card doesn't always work well with the (S)NES games.

Zelda stuff, sweet, great X-Mas gift idea for me.

I like Electroplankton, I think it needed to be displayed like it was to generate buzz to sell the game, and I'll buy it, but I agree to a lot it may have been a waste of time, but it seems like a pretty sweet set-up.

I missed part of the conference, but I heard Kojima was supposed to be there...was he? If so, for what reason? Or was he displaying another 4 player Pac-man game with guys from Namco? :)

I also dig the GB Micro but I have a DS (hardly used) and a Famicom GBA SP, so I doubt I will pick one up.

Hollywood

Banned
Amir0x said:
Because what we wanted from this conference was news about shit we already knew, no next-gen game footage whatsoever from Rev, no image of controller/control scheme, news of 28 different Mario property titles, Electroplankton shit DJ rave and 30 minutes of Tina Woods playing Nintendogs and flirting with Miyamoto.

My prayers are fucking answered.

So since when does not showing a game, even though they announced them = console doomed? How does that correlate? So if they showed a clip of SSB Revolution, gave a demo of playing online, and a video of clips of future Revolution games that would = Revolution omg not doomed? I don't understand people's rationale here. The course of success of a console is determined by if they show or don't show a clip of a game at a fucking media trade show?

Mama Smurf

Huh. IGN has new artwork for the Kirby GC game, so I guess it IS going to be there.

Why the hell wouldn't they show it at the conference! At least it'd be something pretty damn new that we've barely seen anything of. No one's going to be blown away by it I'm sure, but it might have helped a little.

Sometimes I just don't know what Nintendo are thinking.

Xellos

So Nintendo's Revolution isn't ready yet and they've got nothing other than Zelda, Fire Emblem, and some DS software for the next year. Just guessing here, but they'll probably show demos at Spaceworld and then games at E3 2006, much like Gamecube. They probably wouldn't have even talked about Revolution if it weren't for Sony and MS.

I almost want to think that they had stuff relating to Revolution cued up, but after seeing the PS3, they pulled the plug. How else can you explain the pushing back of the press conference.

But yeah, this is pretty sad.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Rlan said:
The problem I had with the conference was that almost everything we knew about already. Besides the GBMicro, everything was known, and half the games were from last year as well [Although Battalion Wars looks a LOT better].

We didn't know that Nintendo would make their back-catalog of NES, SNES, and N64 games available to purchase online.

StRaNgE

Banned
i think myself, that i wanted to see something new, something to end all the rumors and put something to fact? at least if gyration was true or not.

all i saw was games i pretty much already knew about.

the GBA micro was the only suprice but again i would have much prefered a redesign of the DS with an analog nub built in.

FightyF

Banned
All eyes were on Nintendo, and I think they dropped the ball on this one.

MS messed-no...f*cked up. Sony played the hype cards well. Nintendo had all the attention in the World but ended up looking like a dork.

Quite an interesting start to E3!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
FortNinety said:
I almost want to think that they had stuff relating to Revolution cued up, but after seeing the PS3, they pulled the plug. How else can you explain the pushing back of the press conference.

But yeah, this is pretty sad.

Yeah, I'm sorta thinking the same thing. I'm not upset with Mr. Nighttrain, he might have gotten the rug pulled out from under him as well.

They didn't even have major developers talking about Revolution.

The problem here isn't that the Revolution unveiling is underwhelming.

The problem here is that no one is talking about it.

That's what bothers me.

Unfortunately Nintendo is content to ground us in the here and now, in reality. Not where I wanted to be mind you, but at least I'm not looking forward to software that's more than a year away, or hoping what I just saw is actual gameplay. Nintendo is showing off things that I can purchase now and software that I'll be playing within the coming months. It's a next-gen buzz-kill, but I'll be damned if I won't be first in line when they show off the new games.

I'm by no means happy with what went down today though. As many have said before Nintendo really has nothing beyond Zelda to show. Any third party games that are worth a damn on the schedule? Nintendo is not in such a bad position right now, but they've at least got to look like they're playing the game. I know that I'm buying Zelda this year, and I know that a X360 is going to be sitting next to my TV at the end of this year too. Nintendo did nothing to show that I needed to wait for their system. Nothing to make me hold off on Xbox or to lessen my excitement for the PS3.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
One interesting aspect about this is that the Revolution appears to be part iQue. If that's a sign of anything, it means you'll be playing NES/SNES/N64 titles online...

I'm going with the idea that Nintendo had more planned, but dropped it after the Sony videos... Sony did a very polished act (although we argue about the truthfulness of it), and Nintendo has to respond with an equally polished act. The Revolution demo footage was probably either too early/rough (assuming the Rev. is in the same general power arena as the PS3), or not as complex due to hardware constraints (and if that's the case, I'm wondering what Nintendo is going to do with it before next spring).

Would I have wanted more? Of course I would have... and it's still possible that is this the nail in the coffin. However, we still don't know what the Rev. is really like in action (although we are getting nasty fears)...

It could also be that Nintendo is attempting to directly take on the the all-in-one game market (see Jakks, etc.)...

jgkspsx

DavidDayton said:
I'm going with the idea that Nintendo had more planned, but dropped it after the Sony videos...
I'm fairly certain that's the case. The whole presentation seemed like a battle to use up time.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Nintendo's Next Console, Game Boy Micro, Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for DS Represent New Directions for the Industry

Nintendo continues to lead the video game industry in innovation. No matter the hardware system, no matter the software title, Nintendo remains on the cutting edge of what’s possible. At the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, Nintendo demonstrates how it will open the video game experience to new audiences. Nintendo announced a variety of new initiatives, including details about its next console, the slick new Game Boy Micro, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection wireless service for Nintendo DS and surprising information about the new Legend of Zelda adventure.

"No company has a stronger history or a brighter future," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales & marketing. "We want everyone to join us in that future, which is why we're expanding our products to new audiences and investing in the concept of All-Access Gaming."

Here are some of the Nintendo highlights that people will be talking about during E3 and beyond:

Nintendo's next console turns the world of video games on its side: Due in 2006, the new console will be backward compatible with Nintendo GameCube. The console also will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and even the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). Players also can buy and add new levels and characters to games made specifically for the new console. The new console has 512 megabytes of on-board flash memory. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory.

The console's stylish look houses a single, self-loading media bay for both 12-centimeter optical discs for new games as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. It will have wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capabilities. A number of Wi-Fi-enabled games will be ready at launch, and the new console will build on – and add to – Nintendo's rich stable of star franchises. A new development architecture will accommodate both big-budget games as well as artistic, indie offerings designed to make sure that everyone from video game experts to newcomers find ways to share and enjoy the gaming experience.

Nintendo's next console turns the world of video games on its side

:lol

Cold-Steel said:
They didn't even have major developers talking about Revolution.

The problem here isn't that the Revolution unveiling is underwhelming.

The problem here is that no one is talking about it.

That's what bothers me.

Well, they delayed it over a hour past the original time. I think they just scrapped the Mario 128 demo or something. A last minute decision

Chrono

Banned
I went out for an hour and thought when I return I'll be calm.

I'm not.

Again, FUCK YOU NINTENDO. And don't fucking tell me you'll show us stuff later. Nintendo said they won't be less powerful than sony. Nintendo said they'll launch around the same time as sony. Well, here you go nintendo! IT STARTED! and what do you show? A fucking black box that looks like some dvd-writer.

And don't fucking start with 'they're stealing our ideas.' YOU called it revolution. YOU said we need more than graphics. YOU said there ought to be a revolution. And what do you show? A fucking official emulation store on the fucking internets. FUCK OFF BITCH. You messed up when you hid the fucking WATER PACK and DIGITAL CLICKS as 'innovative secrets' but now you have no fucking credibility with me AT ALL. Go burn in hell.

GhaleonEB said:
As a devoted XBox, this news makes me happy.

Seriously, Sony and Microsoft talked the talk, then backed it up. Sony said they could do great graphics, then SHOWED US. Microsoft said there would be great games wrapped into this amazing Live and Media Center functionality, and then they SHOWED IT.

Nintendo had some vauge, "Me too!" stuff about online, then left it at that.

TWO CONSOLE FUTURE

Keep dreaming. :lol

15 FPS Gears of War and wall guy is all microsoft has. Oh yeah, and 'cool celebrities.'

Sony will DESTROY the competition.

The next-gen war is OVER. Sony has it locked down. Just change the controller and announce online plans. That's it. The hottest and most powerful console will win, and from what LITTLE we've already seen it deserves it. Good job, sony.

Mama Smurf

What I don't understand is why Nintendo made the choices they did. And forget Revolution for a minute.

Why show Nintendogs and Electroplankton again when you have Mario Bros, Mario and Luigi and apparently a new 2D Metroid available? Why just announce DS online partners when there are so many good games going online that hadn't been announced as such? Why not show Kirby and Odama in the GC titles when they're so bare?

I understand the desire to keep secrets, even if they go too far. So as much as I wanted more Revolution news...I get it. But the rest? Beyond me.

Chrono

Banned
MARIO 128

Nintendo LIED about it. There is no mario 128. You fucking cunts. This is the last gamecube E3 and reggie said it'll be for the cube and NO VIDEO? I fee like somebody just STABBED me. You fucking liers.

Ristamar said:
I wonder what will be shown only behind closed doors...

Nothing. Why would the great nintendo reveal its innovative technology so early? Surely the competition will send a spy or pay off the journalist. They all want the hawt nintendo innovation tech.

>:|

Chrono

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
What I don't understand is why Nintendo made the choices they did. And forget Revolution for a minute.

Why show Nintendogs and Electroplankton again when you have Mario Bros, Mario and Luigi and apparently a new 2D Metroid available? Why just announce DS online partners when there are so many good games going online that hadn't been announced as such? Why not show Kirby and Odama in the GC titles when they're so bare?

I understand the desire to keep secrets, even if they go too far. So as much as I wanted more Revolution news...I get it. But the rest? Beyond me.

They lost it.

It's over. Nintendo has no idea what it's doing.

alejob

:lol

Its true that this is a little dissapointing but some things were expected. If you were expecting for games to be showed then you are crazy. Remember back in Dolphin time(E3 2000 I think) they only showed demos and gave some tech specs, they didn't show a design either. There is still next years E3 before they launch Revolution.

I'm disapointed about the lack of specs though, and the only 2x or 3x more powerfull than GC.. And some demos would've been nice too. And yeah, Nintendo has its head up its behind with all this retro nintendo crap.

Remember Nintendo doesn't play the power card on new HW. How many polygons did they say GC could handle? 12-15 million? Against sonys 70 million.

There is still hope.

I consider myself a big Nintendo fan, but holy shit, I don't know what to think anymore. That was just brutal. I missed the conference live since I was in class, but I never thought to expect this when I got back. I'm buying a Rev regardless (if only for SSB Online) but I'm looking a lot more forward to the PS3 than anything else.

God, this makes me so mad...all of those expectations, destroyed. :(

At least Zelda looked good...

pestul

DigDugDirkDiggler said:
I consider myself a big Nintendo fan, but holy shit, I don't know what to think anymore. That was just brutal. I missed the conference live since I was in class, but I never thought to expect this when I got back. I'm buying a Rev regardless (if only for SSB Online) but I'm looking a lot more forward to the PS3 than anything else.

God, this makes me so mad...all of those expectations, destroyed. :(

At least Zelda looked good...
Here's something to think about.. I would say 2 weeks ago, we would have envisioned the Nintendo conference playing out like this, but then we saw the balls-out Sony conference that was ALL about PS3. I think that even shocked most people.

I think Revolution is definately a Fall 2006 product though. I can't see it any other way.. they need a strong E3 still. They now (to our dismay) have a bit of time to rethink some of thier strategy on the system power front. The just weren't ready. :(

I came into E3 as a Sony hater. Just due to the conference, I now think they're fucking awesome..

Is it as much of Nintendo's fault as it is the fact that weve just been jerked around by rumors and MegaTons all week?

We have nobody but ourselves to blame for getting hyped too much about something we didnt have a clue above based upon people's so called "insider" information. The ONLY comment that Nintendo made as far of expectations was when Reggie said for us to expect Mario 128 at E3 in "some" form. That's IT.

Next Spaceworld, TGS, or E3, take the "insider" information with a HUGE grain of salt......

tetsuoxb said:
Dude. Be fair. He is a douche. He was a douche taking the piss out of me circa mizuguchi interview. He was a triple douche by passing along fansite garbage as truth. That makes him my gouche of 2005 (a douche for your gooch).
dude, someone totally needs to wash some sand out of their pussy. i can't believe you're still pissed about that. speaking of douche, perhaps you should go get one.

and what fansite garbage did i pass on as truth? this i'd love to hear.

pestul said:
I came into E3 as a Sony hater. Just due to the conference, I now think they're fucking awesome..

I don't hate any companies (I own all the current systems) but prior to the conference my opinions were Nintendo > Sony >>> MS. Now within 24 hours it's changed to Sony >>> Nintendo > MS. I think that says something about the calibur of the presentations we just saw.

Damnit, I'm still upset over how shitty Nintendo's showing was...after all of the damn hype, what a let down. I don't care if they were ready or not, they just fucked themselves over big time by not showing anything.

miyuru

Heh, it's just timing. If Nintendo showed everything they had right now, and Sony didn't, you'd all be dickriding Nintendo.

And honestly, who cares - neither the PS3 or Rev. will launch before next year's E3 I figure.

Top Bottom