• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Press Conference

I've gotta say, for the first time in my life, I actually AGREE with Drinky of all people.

Sure their presentation blew chunks, but seriously, what does it mean? Exactly what they say it does. They just didn't have enough stuff to show yet. Sure this sucks for us and our E3 hype, but its no reason to count Nintendo out just yet.

Its a trade show. They didn't reveal their new hardware at the same time as its competitors, but ultimately, it will still be released around the same time.

I'm as dissapointed as the next guy that they didn't show anything, but come on. They clearly have something up their sleeves.

neptunes

robbed.JPG

...What the fuck was that?

While Sony and MS are wowing the world with specs and images of great promise, what is Nintendo doing? It hurts my head to think about it. Nintendo will never change. The worst quote in the conference is that when you 'll see Revolution running you'll say WOW! My God!!! Show us! I'm a little upset that they didn't rise to the occasion. And people wonder why 3rd parties won't rally behind them. They just won't lead!

I'm going to say it. I'm going to be hung for saying it.

It doesn't matter when Nintendo completes the Revolution puzzle for us. We will all be blown away. Whether it happened at E3, Spaceworld, tomorrow on the show floor... whatever. It sucks to keep waiting, but the pieces are slowly falling into place. It's going to rock, I love what I know already and am sad that I don't know more.

words.....

the only thing i can think of is whatever they have planned is SO BIG they don't want to let the cat out of the bag.

They told us it will play games from every nintendo home console. That would often be perceived as something huge. In this case its the only real information they are willing to give away.

WTF are they hiding for? There must be something huge MUST BE, and it may be in the controller.

Thats the only plausible thing I can think of is that what they did have was crap so they had to go back to the drawing board. The other direction is just pure insanity, I don't think even Nintendo could be that dumb.

AS they are holding SO much back I have to wonder when are they planning to release this thing? I'm starting to think late 2006 they haven't shown a bean yet, not exactly early 2006 talk.

IF, and that's a big IF.... if they pulled some stuff because of PS3 that's yet another thing that shows them learning. A wallguy would have hurt Nintendo much harder than it hurts anyone else...

Think about it... No CPU or GPU specs, yet some were posted here before the conference. No mention of "2 to 3 times more powerful" as before the conference............. just the flash ram for downloaded games, the multimedia drive and DVD playback.

If it all leads to a better Revolution that's fine... but I hope they realise how boring that was. I almost yearned for Kaz Hirai's pie charts.

Leatherface

First off, I want to say I was one of the fans of Nintendo ever. To say I'm crushed by their stupidity is a HUGE understatement. Don't try defenfing them either. You'll just look dumb. The point is this. Sony and Microsoft have a mountain of hype built up going forward. Nintendo gave us a half hour special of Nintendogs and told us how Revolutionary it is gonna be to play online because they wont charge us...Oh and we get to play old games.

Nintendo just drove the final nail into their coffin. People will not even think about Nintendo when considering a next gen console. Microsoft and Sony already have the hype, power and GAMES to back them up. All while Nintendo has their head up their ass, living in the past and clinging on to hope they can survive.

Even if Nintendo truely does have something special, not showing it here at E3 is a critical mistake. Making Nintendogs the main focus is not gonna hype up anyone. It's not gonna get people thinking about Nintendo instead of making the jump to Xbox 360 or PS3. Face it. Nintendo fucked up HARD.

I for one am completely heartbroken that they would do this to themselves. It just shows they are completely oblivious to everything around them. It's too bad. For me, this is the worst moment in Nintendo history.

ManaByte

Gaia Theory said:
I'm going to say it. I'm going to be hung for saying it.

It doesn't matter when Nintendo completes the Revolution puzzle for us. We will all be blown away. Whether it happened at E3, Spaceworld, tomorrow on the show floor... whatever. It sucks to keep waiting, but the pieces are slowly falling into place. It's going to rock, I love what I know already and am sad that I don't know more.

Keep telling yourself that...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well...at least it was watchable, unlike snore fest Sony and cheese pumped Microsoft.

Really nothing worth talking about in the whole presentation other than pointing out that Miyamoto is getting some right now.

Did anyone else get the impression that Nintendo doesnt know what the revolution is yet and is hoping the community will speculate something good enough for them to steal?

Ruzbeh

Banned
I'm a Nintendo fan and I don't feel disappointed.

I feel lonely. :lol

Seriously though. I really wasn't expecting the Rev controller AT ALL. Nor was I expecting a Revolution-game footage. I'm really really excited by the fact that you will be able to play NES, SNES and N64 games on the Rev! I will finally be able to play all those Zelda games I missed out on. And ofcourse some other stuff.

I think there will be more info tomorrow. Yes... tomorrow...

geogaddi

Banned
C'mon guys, look at the bright side!

Sure Nintendo didn't show Rev footage,
Sure Nintendo didn't show Rev controller,
Sure Nintendo didn't unveil Rev specs,
Sure Nintendo didn't show Mother 3,
Sure Nintendo didn't wow the crowds,
Sure Nintendo didn't stop talking about rehash games,
Sure Nintendo didn't impress the media
Sure Nintendo didn't put up a show as good as Sony's or MS's

However,

human5892

Queen of Denmark
People who think the disappointment comes from expecting the Revolution to have more of a presence are missing the point. That's only a small part of this god damned atrocity.

tetsuoxb

Drinky Crow said:
Well, I think Johnny just got all jonesed up on the hype is friend fed him. I'd heard a different story, but I didn't wanna pit my second-hand knowledge against his, especially given my reputation. That said, I'd heard aboyt five weeks ago that the Rev specs weren't "particularly impresive" and that the action was in the crazy controller designs.

I'm really surprised Nintendo didn't show the controllers, though.

Dude. Be fair. He is a douche. He was a douche taking the piss out of me circa mizuguchi interview. He was a double douche by then asking me for coming to japan advice immediately following. He was a triple douche by passing along fansite garbage as truth. That makes him my gouche of 2005 (a douche for your gooch).

My personal experience with him gave me a MASSIVE grain of salt, but I think the desire to believe superceded most gaffers desire to face the facts.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sure, Nintendo wont "win" this E3, but who cares. They already said this E3 is still mostly about the GC.

That would have been fine...

...if everything (outside of Zelda) shown for the GC hadn't been so unappealing. Zelda was the ONLY GC game present that I was interested in and CV remains the only DS game that interests me.

If they wanted to focus on the here and now, that's fine...but they failed to do so.

Why didn't the audience members simply leave and say "we saw this last year"? The best part was when they focused on shovelware that the other consoles has *10.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
This secret better be worth hiding. Not like Mario's fucking waterpack.

You know you'll all be back eager, but nervous, for the next conference though. And it'll be awesome, 'cos they'll actually show stuff, and everyone will be like "Yeah! Nintendo's back!". Then the year after that they'll have Pac-Man vs. Nintendogs for the Revolution as their main game, and everyone will declare they're burning their Nintendo consoles and anything they were touching...and so on.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't get the negativity.

-That backwards compatible to everything bit just gave Revolution a HUGE boost in my eyes, there are so many things I'd like that you just can't find anymore. And to have them on one system instead of 5, yummy.

-I like what they're doing with DS (why does it always take Nintendo a year to get off the ground with their systems?) and I'm feeling reassured mine won't go to waste. Free online, good ideas.

-I loooove a lot of the ideals they talked about. Built-in Wi-Fi, creativity and interaction taking primacy over competition in online environments, making a developer environment where creativity is more important/valuable than big budgets, etc. They see gaming the way I see it, I got tired of just pretty graphics a long time ago. I like PS2 the most soley because of it's high amount of creative niche titles, if Nintendo follows through on their mindsets it'll be sweet.

-Apparently they still have a lot of stuff on Revolution that they aren't telling until tomorrow. So I'm not going to complain about lack of Revolution stuff at the moment. Be patient, goodness.

-This was definitely enough to make me second guess getting a PS3, but like I have said Nintendo has to deliver on their promises (unlike with GC) for me to get a Revolution. It's interesting to speculate but I'm waiting until a year after both are out to make my decision, so whatever.

-GB Micro looked cool but I have a DS, Battalion Wars and Mario Soccer look sweet, DS had several interesting things, Zelda looked cool and I reeeeeeeally hope that was the in-game music.

GhaleonEB

As a devoted XBox, this news makes me happy.

Seriously, Sony and Microsoft talked the talk, then backed it up. Sony said they could do great graphics, then SHOWED US. Microsoft said there would be great games wrapped into this amazing Live and Media Center functionality, and then they SHOWED IT.

Nintendo had some vauge, "Me too!" stuff about online, then left it at that.

TWO CONSOLE FUTURE

DarkCloud

Well...I'm now down to getting a 360 and PS3 at their launches...and waiting till the Revolution sees it's first price drop. Thanks E3. =(

Koshiro

geogaddi said:
C'mon guys, look at the bright side!

Sure Nintendo didn't show Rev footage,
Sure Nintendo didn't show Rev controller,
Sure Nintendo didn't unveil Rev specs,
Sure Nintendo didn't show Mother 3,
Sure Nintendo didn't wow the crowds,
Sure Nintendo didn't stop talking about rehash games,
Sure Nintendo didn't impress the media
Sure Nintendo didn't put up a show as good as Sony's or MS's

However,
:lol :lol :lol

Argyle

On the other hand...

If they decide to go with "Nintendo is all about value" and provide a less-powerful (but still more powerful than current gen) machine targeting smaller developers...that's cool by me. Gaming hardly has the equivalent of an "indie" scene and if Nintendo is serious about this and follows through (price Revolution at $99-150, bring out publically available development kits ala Net Yarouze to let people experiment and write their own stuff, and be generous with licensing and publishing terms for small devs) - that's cool by me.

We'll see...

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
To be fair to Nintendo on the Revolution front (I'm not touching the GC, that's just...there's no excuse), this is a hell of a lot earlier than MS showed anything. I know I know, a major problem lies in the fact that MS and Sony showed so much so they should have stepped up to the plate, but still, we didn't even see the 360 or games until 6 months before launch. And we must be at the very least 9 months from the Revolution launch, and I'd guess at over a year being more likely.

Still...a letdown.

Santo

It's funny how many people are defending Nintendo at this point. Whether you love the company or hate them, the bottom line is that their press conference blew chunks.

Okay it obviously wasn't about Revolution. What was it about? GameCube had NOTHING, aside from Zelda (which we saw last year). Game Boy Micro? Looks cool but goddamn how much hardware is Nintendo going to release?

This is total shit. Sony clearly owns this E3. Not even wall guy can save Nintendo now.

Amir0x

Banned
i'm...

seriously, I'm shocked. What am I supposed to?

oh fuck

Tina woods, Nintendo. TINA FUCKING WOODS. playing Nintendogs.

Fuck. FUCK.

Hollywood

Banned
WTF is people's problem? I missed the conference but read theplay by play on IGN, and isn't this what people wanted to see? The Revolution is sleek as hell, Super Smash Bros. at LAUNCH online capable, able to download EVERY NINTENDO GAME EVER MADE. A new Super Mario Bros. game out this year, which people have been wanting for YEARS. A new mature Zelda game out this year, people have been wanting for years. The ability to play Mario Kart online for DS, which people have been wanting for years.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but this doesn't sound bad to me.

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
Wow, i expected "revolution" to gather some excitement in the pre-teen segment but after this it's almost to the point where revolution would need to be priced at $79-99 in order to make retailers clear shelf space for it next xmas. This thing has no shot at lasting long term without a dramatic shift by Nintendo.

Unbelievable.

CrisKre

No, no. Im the BIGGEST nintendo fan (well, sorta). But WTF already! I mean, this speaks about the lack of criteria of this people. Come on now, everyone else does it. COME UP WITH A FUCKING AWESOME TEASER OF WHAT PEOPLE WANNA SEE. I mean, a fucking CGI even. MS and Sony did so. A FUCKING REAL TIME DEMO. Sth? I mean, with nintendo fans, even a 30 sec demo of cool prospect games would have done it. This is motherfucking lunacy on their part. Just didnt even fucking try. And BTW, E3 isnt ´just a convention´. Developers from all over the world are paying attention to what goes on. And for nintendo: pst! it is important that you get western developers support you assholes. And that happens on E3 at least as word of mouth in terms of developers attention.

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
As a devoted XBox, this news makes me happy.

Seriously, Sony and Microsoft talked the talk, then backed it up. Sony said they could do great graphics, then SHOWED US. Microsoft said there would be great games wrapped into this amazing Live and Media Center functionality, and then they SHOWED IT.

Nintendo had some vauge, "Me too!" stuff about online, then left it at that.

ONE CONSOLE FUTURE

You're a devoted Xbox?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Argyle said:
On the other hand...

If they decide to go with "Nintendo is all about value" and provide a less-powerful (but still more powerful than current gen) machine targeting smaller developers...that's cool by me. Gaming hardly has the equivalent of an "indie" scene and if Nintendo is serious about this and follows through (price Revolution at $99-150, bring out development kits to let people experiment and write their own stuff, and be generous with licensing and publishing terms for small devs) - that's cool by me.

We'll see...

Actually, I think that would be really cool... like maybe have J2RE (Java 2 Revolution Edition) - a buncha libraries to aid first time developers on the system. But still, that conference was pretty disappointing. Who actually buys Mario Party games anyways??

ziran

worst conference ever! made the pacman vs fiasco look brilliant.

i still can't see how something that small can be powerful. hell it's about the size of a decent gfx card.

nightez

Banned
At least they do say
"graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game experiences not previously possible."

kiryogi

Banned
dark10x said:
That would have been fine...

...if everything (outside of Zelda) shown for the GC hadn't been so unappealing. Zelda was the ONLY GC game present that I was interested in and CV remains the only DS game that interests me.

If they wanted to focus on the here and now, that's fine...but they failed to do so.

Fire Emblem damnit.

suaveric

Everyone sure is pissing and moaning. Did everyone expect a Sony-type show?

I don't think Nintendo was ever planning on showing too much of the games for Rev at this years show. The system isn't out until next year and they still have the Gamecube to sell for this year.

Here's what Nintendo probably assumed- that Sony would just mention the PS3 in passing (maybe a few specs and such) and focus on the PSP and the final year of the PS2. But Sony obviously had other plans, they wanted to counter-attack Microsoft from the get go and I think that obviously paid off (what a great hype-killer for 360).

So now Nintendo is competing against the super hype of the 360 and PS3. That's bad news when they really didn't have anything to counter that with.

What really sucks is that drinky crow was right all along. His anti-nintendoness made me hate him, but deep down i knew, we all knew that he was right. Sure the Ds is going to deliver new games but it is still mostly a joke. The Rev looks like an sleek underpowered console that no one is going to buy.

I'm just wondering how nintendo is taking all this negative feed back? I just hope that it dawned on them that they fucked up majorly and need to fix the pronlem fast.
But alas, it may be already to late.

Let me join Drinky crow in the dream of a one console future, i didnt think it could happen but it now looks certain.

All Hail Sony.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I should have gone with my initial feeling that Nintendo weren't going to show anything much to do with Revolution at all because of not wanting to give away what made it 'revolutionary'.

But to not even have atleast some rendered Spaceworld-style demos is really surprising. It's hard to convince people you have a vision of where you're going if you don't give them anything to look at.

A nice looking box with a blue LED inside it doesn't really cut it.

ki/oon

You know what's even worse ? Having to bear for months all the baseless and stupid speculation about what Revolution really is until Nintendo is willing to reveal it's "big secret".

ziran

CrisKre said:
No, no. Im the BIGGEST nintendo fan (well, sorta). But WTF already! I mean, this speaks about the lack of criteria of this people. Come on now, everyone else does it. COME UP WITH A FUCKING AWESOME TEASER OF WHAT PEOPLE WANNA SEE. I mean, a fucking CGI even. MS and Sony did so. A FUCKING REAL TIME DEMO. Sth? I mean, with nintendo fans, even a 30 sec demo of cool prospect games would have done it. This is motherfucking lunacy on their part. Just didnt even fucking try. And BTW, E3 isnt ´just a convention´. Developers from all over the world are paying attention to what goes on. And for nintendo: pst! it is important that you get western developers support you assholes. And that happens on E3 at least as word of mouth in terms of developers attention.
and the ps3 realtime totally destroyed revolution cgi, PRE-RENDERED!!!

Top Bottom