• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Press Conference

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Johnny Nighttrain said:
dude, someone totally needs to wash some sand out of their pussy. i can't believe you're still pissed about that. speaking of douche, perhaps you should go get one.

and what fansite garbage did i pass on as truth? this i'd love to hear.
Johnny, I still trust you, after seeing the video on nintendo.com earlier.

"we're ready for the launch on tuesday, the website on wednesday, we have some presentation on thursday and on friday <fades out>"

Koshiro

GaimeGuy said:
Johnny, I still trust you, after seeing the video on nintendo.com earlier.

"we're ready for the launch on tuesday, the website on wednesday, we have some presentation on thursday and on friday <fades out>"
I would like to see this video.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
OK please forgive me if this has already been said because I stopped reading this at page 11 but am I the only one who remembers several nintendo reps saying that "E3 2005 was not going to be Revolution's coming out party"? Not saying that that was a smart choice on Nintendo's side but I'm honestly surprised they showed as much as they did. I also seem to recall Nintendo reps saying that E3 2005 will focus largely on the DS. Both seem to have come true. Personally I would have loved to have seen some tech demos at least but I still don't understand all this backlash. The only reson I can see for any backlash to exist is either 1) you're a total Nintendo fanboy and were expecting Sony type hype or 2) are a total Nintendo hater and love to kick people when they're down. From what I've seen of all three systems (not much but then again most of us haven't seen that much) I think they're all pretty impressive so far. I'll reserve my judgement until launch dates draw closer.

i actually kinda agree with Drinky. The only people that seem to be disappointed in the Nintendo conference were either A) people who would have trolled Nintendo no matter what they showed or B) fanboys with unrealistic expectations, who thought Nintendo would unveil some kind of world beater that would leave the PS3 and Xbox in the dust and propel Nintendo back to the top. This isn't 1993 anymore folks. The game industry has changed dramatically. You have to be insane or just dumb to think Nintendo was going to show up and "out-Sony" the PS3. Thats not who they are, and they just don't have the resources for it. Even though they'd never come out and say it, i think that in a way, Nintendo is FINALLY conceding that they aren't going to seriously compete with the big 2, and are creating Revolution as more of a secondary, "alternative" console. Basically saying "Alright, we know you are all going to buy PS3s and Xboxes anyway, but give this thing a shot too". From what i've heard of the Revolution so far, they could do a pretty good job of that. Just look at the system. Its small, inconspicuous. You could stick it in your entertaiment center next to the PS3 or Xbox360 and nobody would probably even notice it. Having a giant libary of EVERY classic NES/SNES/N64 game at your fingertips via an Itunes like service could be a major selling point as well. IMO, when it comes to mainstream appeal and marketshare, that alone could be a bigger "revolution" than some kind of gimmicky gyro control or VR helmet. Peronsally, im actually MORE interested in the Rev now than i was in the months leading up to E3 with all the hype. If the price is right for both the system, the games, and the online/downloadable content, i could definately be persuaded to get one to go alongside the PS3.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Scooter said:
i actually kinda agree with Drinky. The only people that seem to be disappointed in the Nintendo conference were either A) people who would have trolled Nintendo no matter what they showed or B) fanboys with unrealistic expectations, who thought Nintendo would unveil some kind of world beater that would leave the PS3 and Xbox in the dust and propel Nintendo back to the top. This isn't 1993 anymore folks. The game industry has changed dramatically. You have to be insane or just dumb to think Nintendo was going to show up and "out-Sony" the PS3. Thats not who they are, and they just don't have the resources for it. Even though they'd never come out and say it, i think that in a way, Nintendo is FINALLY conceding that they aren't going to seriously compete with the big 2, and are creating Revolution as more of a secondary, "alternative" console. Basically saying "Alright, we know you are all going to buy PS3s and Xboxes anyway, but give this thing a shot too". From what i've heard of the Revolution so far, they could do a pretty good job of that. Just look at the system. Its small, inconspicuous. You could stick it in your entertaiment center next to the PS3 or Xbox360 and nobody would probably even notice it. Having a giant libary of EVERY classic NES/SNES/N64 game at your fingertips via an Itunes like service could be a major selling point as well. IMO, when it comes to mainstream appeal and marketshare, that alone could be a bigger "revolution" than some kind of gimmicky gyro control or VR helmet. Peronsally, im actually MORE interested in the Rev now than i was in the months leading up to E3 with all the hype. If the price is right for both the system, the games, and the online/downloadable content, i could definately be persuaded to get one to go alongside the PS3.
What he said!

Matt-IGN said:
Yo guys,

Sorry for the delay on all of this. I was as surprised by the conference as all of you were. I figured Nintendo would show more Metroid footage than it did -- and sadly it didn't unveil any other Revolution demos, a disappointment.

Of course, the console looks great and I'm excited about some of its features. Still, there's no way around it: I really was hoping the Big N would pull out more.

I think the philosophy behind it all is that Nintendo doesn't want to get caught up in Sony and Microsoft's system war. It wants to separate itself from the competition. But -- and I told this to the folks from NOA today -- that just ain't happening. As long as Nintendo makes videogames, people are going to compare them to Microsoft and Sony.

There actually were some exciting announcemnents caught up in all of the hoopla. Smash Bros. for Revolution launch. New Revolution Mario, Zelda, Metroid Prime and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles titles in development. An attachable device for Revolution that plays DVDs. You know, these are some pretty damned cool revelations.

I think what it ultimately boiled down to was, Nintendo didn't show demos. And that frankly pissed off a lot of folks.

As for me, I'm disappointed but still optimistic. I really like the look of the console and Nintendo is finally going online. Lots of potential there. Meanwhile, on the GameCube front Zelda looks fantastic. And we're going to have TONS of direct-feed footage for you tomorrow morning.

Matt

djm19

well, attachable dvd player is no different than todays xbox. its 30 bucks you dont have to spend if you dont need another dvd player (and you can litterally buy dvd players of better quality than those in consoles for less money.

Ponn

Banned
Chrono said:
wait did matt just confirm that metroid footage to be a revolution title?

I had a bad feeling that was supposed to be a little revolution thing. In the great words of Sam Beckett "Oh boy."

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
djm19 said:
well, attachable dvd player is no different than todays xbox. its 30 bucks you dont have to spend if you dont need another dvd player (and you can litterally buy dvd players of better quality than those in consoles for less money.

um.. are you guys sure they meant an attachable dvd player? or an attachment like we have on the xbox.. wont the revolution use the same size disks? why sell dvd player attachment when you can just get one solo??

i bets its just like the controller nub thing on the xbox.. it just doesnt make sense any other way.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Scooter said:
Pretty much this is dead on. Add in nostalgia/attachment to series such as zelda and Mario kart and it could be a solid purcahse *for what it is*

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Looks like Nintendo sucked the big one. Wow. Just release Zelda and then get back in your hole and stay there, Nintendo. It's over, the industry now belongs to Sony and MS.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ninja Scooter said:
i actually kinda agree with Drinky. The only people that seem to be disappointed in the Revolution showing were either A) people who would have trolled Nintendo no matter what they showed or B) fanboys with unrealistic expectations, who thought Nintendo would unveil some kind of world beater that would leave the PS3 and Xbox in the dust and propel Nintendo back to the top.
Fixed.

I think even if you had reasonable expectations regarding the Revolution that you'd still find the overall conference disappointing. I mean, where was the new stuff? The only unannounced GC game shown from Nintendo was Super Mario Strikers. All the new GBA/DS stuff was hidden away in montage videos with minimal footage presented. The two big demos were for 'games' that we've known about for a long time and have been released in Japan. There was no demo for the GC, and Zelda probably could have used one since they're introducing this wolf thing with a midget and an arm growing out of her helmet.

From what I've seen on Nintendo's website, they've got a decent enough lineup for all three current platforms. I just don't think they did much to highlight them. They've got a new 2D Mario and you don't even mention it and just shove a four second clip into a montage? That's just crazy... unless it's something they're not overly proud of.

Neutron Night said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Looks like Nintendo sucked the big one. Wow. Just release Zelda and then get back in your hole and stay there, Nintendo. It's over, the industry now belongs to Sony and MS.

talk about a late troll, did the bridge fall on your head? :lol

Hollywood

Banned
"According to the site, the console will boast four 2.5Ghz IBM G5 Custom cores, with 128KB of level 1 cache and a 512KB shared level 2 cache, while the graphics will be powered by a dual core ATI RN520 chipset, with 16MB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer.

While both of those specifications seem eminently possible - not least because IBM and ATI are confirmed as Nintendo's hardware partners for the console - we've been unable to find any confirmation or denial of the figures, simply because no developers outside of Nintendo's tightly sewn up inner circle actually have Revolution details, let alone devkits, as yet."

How is that less powerful than the ps3?

Hollywood said:
"According to the site, the console will boast four 2.5Ghz IBM G5 Custom cores, with 128KB of level 1 cache and a 512KB shared level 2 cache, while the graphics will be powered by a dual core ATI RN520 chipset, with 16MB of on-board eDRAM for the frame buffer.

While both of those specifications seem eminently possible - not least because IBM and ATI are confirmed as Nintendo's hardware partners for the console - we've been unable to find any confirmation or denial of the figures, simply because no developers outside of Nintendo's tightly sewn up inner circle actually have Revolution details, let alone devkits, as yet."

How is that less powerful than the ps3?

I will not hold my breath on rumors, but I do think something that Sexy needs some power to shine.

I still think when we finally get the real dirt on this thing it will at least beat the 360.

:)

Hollywood

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
I will not hold my breath on rumors, but I do think something that Sexy needs some power to shine.

I still think when we finally get the real dirt on this thing it will at least beat the 360.

Well the source is the memory supplier for the Revolution, so I doubt hte info is incorrect.

I'm reading over Aries' posts from the Broken Saints blog again right now. A LOT of the shit he said has come true. New Zelda for Rev, SSB Online, Gamespy teaming up with Nintendo to bring DS online. Either he's legit, or he's a fake with MAD vision.

I still have my doubts though...

Hollywood said:
Well the source is the memory supplier for the Revolution, so I doubt hte info is incorrect.

Yeah I think its close or on the money myself but whatever...

Today just sucked ass, the Rev has to have some power

Nintendogs shown on stage @ GDC

Electroplankton shown on stage @ GDC

WTF they did not have to show them again to take up stage time at E3
even that girl they had up there and that DJ with the stupid ass shirt seemed like a rushed presentation.

Nintendo had to have pulled Revolution info at the last minute

SOAB!!

Hollywood

Banned
Bacon said:
I'm reading over Aries' posts from the Broken Saints blog again right now. A LOT of the shit he said has come true. New Zelda for Rev, SSB Online, Gamespy teaming up with Nintendo to bring DS online. Either he's legit, or he's a fake with MAD vision.

I still have my doubts though...

Did you read what he said about the 19th? Apparently Nintendo isn't done yet. He's been right about a good amonut of stuff so far, lets seee what happened. I heard Reggie is taking the stage again at 12 on Thursday, but I don't know where thats from.

Ninja Scooter said:
That was said so much better than I could have put it. Lots less swearing, for one. Bravo.

I just got done watching the press conference and...umm...wow. Just wow. After last night I didn't think would've been possible for Nintendo to out suck MS's show but that was fucking gawd awful. This was probably worse than their 2003 E3 presentation.

Unbelivable.

CrisKre

Ok, so heres my two cents and I hope to be wrong (actually would love to be proven wrong when Rev is really unveild): It had the chance to shine, and fucked up.

Come on now: Really, this cannot be the ´protecting a secret´theory going on here. I mean, who will steal what? MS? Its releasing 360 in 6 months. Sony? It fucking won already. Come on? Im the most delutional nintendo fan, but this? No. Some shit is going on and I doubt its pretty. Go on stage and fucking announce GameCube all over again (which I love but lets face it, it wasnt good for Nintendo as a company). Smash Bros at launch, Mario, Zelda, FFCC? Sounds too familiar. Sorry. It was their chance to show new shit, blow people away. Show true, important 3rd party support. Step up to the big guys. At least MS is trying! And E3 2005 is the place to do it for a system releasing in 2006.

Again, I hope to be wrong, I hope spaceworld (yeah, lol, wait till SW) comes or whatever and nintendo surprises.

The first half of this post is surely obsolete: it consists of my thoughts after reading the thread about early Revolution info from USA Today before rushing off to work ~5 AM, and without a chance to reply. Mostly so with the combination of after-the-fact information, you'll know whether I'm deserving of mocking.

That 2-3x the power thing must have some context. NO rumor has placed it very below the Xbox 360. Matt Cassamadabra is no stranger to Nintendo critique and surely would act a bit more peeved about such a thing when giving vague indications of things in recent days and weeks. Something truly 2-3x the GameCube with wireless connections would be a $200-300 launch in 2003, easy. Considering the fixed costs, purposefully releasing something that was ~3x the GameCube in 2006 would seem extremely inefficient to the point of craziness.

The idea of buying and downloading old games is nice. In terms of where it fits in among all the rumors it makes me think of something Nighttrain said about how Nintendo was doing something that would make things better for developers... selling directly to the customer without production costs seems something some developers might like, though really Sony and MS have talked about the same sort of things.

Now to actually read what went on today.

-----------------------

Well uhh... very little to shine light on any of the above stuff, that's for sure. My thoughts on the hardware look are mixed. The size is amazing with the image with the hand grabbing the system. Looks single-tone flat dull, though. Like PS2 without the ridges. That design in Spice would be spicy, though!

Certainly a disappointing presentation. Revolution I'll cut them slack on; it's way more than we knew of the 360 even a month ago. But there was also quite the lack of major newness on GCN, GBA, and DS. GBA Micro looks hot, though.

Not just in the Nintendo camp but all throughout, when was the last time E3 came without any major hardware price reductions? PS2, Xbox, GCN, GBA, DS, PSP... all are as they were a few days ago.

Madrin said:
Is it true that Matt C. was the first one to call it Revolution? I recall last E3 GAF was saying Matt misconstrued what Iwata said during the conference, and Matt erroneously started calling the console Revolution.
Before last E3 it was rumored Revolution was the code name. The way Iwata used it in the presentation, though, at first it seemed unclear to me whether it was intended as a proper noun.

CrisKre said:
Show true, important 3rd party support.
If they already have the support, though... well, that's the more important part than talking about it.

At least MS is trying! And E3 2005 is the place to do it for a system releasing in 2006.
So is MS damned for not doing yesterday's presentation a year ago?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
So the revolution has a shitload of 3rd party support, and all these 3rd parties are feigning ignorance about the system/hiding this fact? What about the statement of hardly any dev kits available? And supposedly this support is based on this new feature.. it would have certainly leaked by now if these 3rd parties know about it. Not sure I buy it. Doesn't add up.

CrisKre

No, MS is releasing in november. But my point is people have the perception of a generation of videogame systems. Nintendo stated that they understood it was important to play the timing game correctly. This is not a good indication in that regard. Sure, we can try and minimalize how much this could hurt them (its just E3). But I think they messed up.

Unless, as some people are suggesting, they just wanna punk us all and have Revolution ´come out party´be this thursday like some are suggesting,hahaha.

Jonnyram

Plain and simple, next E3 will be Revolution's year. 360 and PS3 will (probably) be out by that time, and Revolution will be in the final stages. People just expected too much info, too early (including myself). At least they are supporting the DS well, and there's still a ton of GC stuff to come, by the looks of it. They didn't show Odama, Kirby or Chibi Robo in the conference for starters.

GBmicro is hot... even though I have 4 SPs, I still awnt a micro. I hope they have some nice faceplates at Club Nintendo.

tt_deeb

I don't have time to look through 22 pages right now but I took a quick glance at the pic of the Revolution and looks like all the controllers will be wireless? Right?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think Nintendo's masterplan is to have alternate E3's.

Underdeliver one year, overdeliver the next for maximum effect.

Odnetnin

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Plain and simple, next E3 will be Revolution's year.

Oh wait 1 year with no more GC games. They'd better have a SPACE WORLD event of its a lost cause. I'm going to write them an email when I have time.

Note: As disenchanted as I am, I'm not going to do a DEG. Thanks for the memories, Nintendo. I'm slave to Sony now

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
AniHawk said:
...That's stupid.

isnt that just like the ps2/xbox attachments to play dvds?? ie.. 'PLAYS DVDS OUT OF THE BOX!!

if you buy our expensive remote dongle...'

VPhys

tt_deeb said:
I don't have time to look through 22 pages right now but I took a quick glance at the pic of the Revolution and looks like all the controllers will be wireless? Right?

I see 4 controller ports.

Vargas

julls said:
isnt that just like the ps2/xbox attachments to play dvds?? ie.. 'PLAYS DVDS OUT OF THE BOX!!

if you buy our expensive remote dongle...'

The PS2 does not need any extra equipment to play DVD movies.

Hollywood

Banned
Remember when Nintendo was hyping 7-8 mil polygons for gc, while xbox and ps2 were hyping 100-200 mil? Obviously Nintendo uses realtime game situation number, which can make them look bad, and thats what they are doing in this case. The memory provider for the GC reported four 2.5 GHz processors in the rev. That isn't weak.

Top Bottom