• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Red Flags thread

L*][*N*K

Banned
With rumors piling up, I want to know what are Gaf’s biggest worries for the upcoming console/hybrid?

Mine are
- Backwards Compatibility, I spent six years building my library, Nintendo come on.
- Branding issue, seriously learn from your past mistakes and just call it Switch 2

I personally don’t care much for specs and I don’t play Nintendo games for cutting edge graphics.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think they will have BC.. will it be full BC? Probably not but no one else really has that either.

I still think BC is 50-50 because of the exploits. Digital only BC might be a workable 'compromise'.

If it doesn’t match the current gen consoles you will not get current 3rd party games or the experience will be sub-par (as the case now).

Not happening although any cross gen and PS4 games should be doable.

feynoob

Banned
If it doesn’t match the current gen consoles you will not get current 3rd party games or the experience will be sub-par (as the case now).
Sub par experience is better than nothing.
I want to justify my purchase, instead of feeling like an idiot who wasted his money on 2-3 games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I still think BC is 50-50 because of the exploits.
The exploits on the Switch have to do with the Switch's physical hardware (an Nvidia chip used in the first generation of the Switch hardware). It has nothing to do with the physical game cartridges.

DonF

Nintendo has ZERO history of calling a console 2. I don't think this will be the case. It's either super switch or switch advanced...a new name altogether.
They won't call it switch U or something stupid like that, the name has to evoke a new generation clearly.
New switch advance 3ds xs

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I guess the one thing I DON’T want is just a more powerful Switch. I hope it has some new, unexpected gimmicks that get integrated into their games in fun ways. Stuff like Miiverse, Streetpass, dual screens, stereoscopic 3D, motion controls, etc are what made their hardware fun and interesting.

I’m sure I’ll still buy it day 1 whatever it is, but if it’s just like “same games you’ve played before, now in 4K” then that’s pretty boring.

Astral Dog

I have no concern about those things as Nintendo normally cares about BC, it wouldn't be too much of an issue to include it, compared to Wii U->Switch

And of course ,they would have learned something from the Wii U situation with the brand name

I want to see if they fixed the joycon issues,and improve them, because they suck also keep improving the online system

Other than that, its just worrying if the thing is gonna sell the same as the Switch,Nintendo struggles with console transitions and the economy is going to shit so they need to be very smart about this

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I guess the one thing I DON’T want is just a more powerful Switch. I hope it has some new, unexpected gimmicks that get integrated into their games in fun ways. Stuff like Miiverse, Streetpass, dual screens, stereoscopic 3D, motion controls, etc are what made their hardware fun and interesting.
I feel like we're not ready for that, yet. Nintendo didn't make as much of an effort here to make their gimmicks known with the Switch. By around 2019 the whole joycon gyro angle wasdumped and most of the big games coming out were just regular old Wii U ports/Switch games.

With Wii/DS/3DS they squeezed as much they could out of the motion control/ dual screen concept.

That being said i'm firmly on the 'anti-gimmick' side of the Nintendo console split, lol.

Last edited:
Battery life, I hope it's as good as current switch.
Joycons, I hope they improve ergonomics.
Weight, I hope it doesn't weight more than the current one, which is already heavy.

Zuzu

I’m most worried about BC. I expect it to be Ok wrt power but very weak compared to everything else. But it’s gotta have that BC.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I will be more inclined to buy a Switch 2 if it has BC with performance boosts for games like BOTW. I wanted Switch Pro, so this is a second chance at better performing games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I’m sure I’ll still buy it day 1 whatever it is, but if it’s just like “same games you’ve played before, now in 4K” then that’s pretty boring.
I'd settle for the "same games you've played before, now running at a smooth 60fps even though they're the same resolution" honestly.

The gimmick of the Switch is so good that I'm okay with them reusing it next generation. Ideally, they'll take the hybrid console/handheld gimmick farther, by putting some graphics processing power in the dock itself. I'd be fine with something that's easy to scale - like games are 1080p in handheld mode, but 4k while docked (and no other changes).

Moochi

My sources tell me it will have an extendable second inner screen with no bevels that springs out to become flush with the main screen. The internal prototype name is Switchblade, but given that this is Nintendo that final name is unlikely.

i must buy the nintendo switch 2 also worried its going to become the wii u switch, whereas switch was wii

Last edited:

BlackTron

My only worry is that it won't enhance existing Switch games.

I think there is almost no chance for this.

I think our best hope is that they give us BC while also new versions of old Switch games.

For example you can use a Wii to play the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess or buy the Wii version. But they would never turn the GC version into Wii version with a "free patch"

I just can't see this happening in any timeline ever as much as I wish otherwise.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
With rumors piling up, I want to know what are Gaf’s biggest worries for the upcoming console/hybrid?

Mine are
- Backwards Compatibility, I spent six years building my library, Nintendo come on.
- Branding issue, seriously learn from your past mistakes and just call it Switch 2

I personally don’t care much for specs and I don’t play Nintendo games for cutting edge graphics.
These are worries, they are not red flags unless you can quote some piece of evidence Alanis…

Ulysses 31

I think there is almost no chance for this.

I think our best hope is that they give us BC while also new versions of old Switch games.

For example you can use a Wii to play the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess or buy the Wii version. But they would never turn the GC version into Wii version with a "free patch"

I just can't see this happening in any timeline ever as much as I wish otherwise.
Was talking about upping fps caps and/or resolution bumps to 1080p. That doesn't seem like a lot of work to do.

BOTW/TOTK can run at 1080p 60 fps on a overclocked Switch according to DF.

Minsc

Gold Member

Mine are

Is the Switch your first Nintendo system? They regularly drop backwards compatibility over their history, and when they do support it, it's only for like 2 gens.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Who said the amount of work has anything to do with it?
Doesn't it?

The easier something can be done, the more likely it is to happen.

I'm talking about devs patching their older switch games to make more use of the new system. Would be cool if it could automatically happen at a system level but that seems too good to be true.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Personally BC is a worry but not important. Everyone has a Switch. Why would you suddenly dump it after the Switch 2 releases?

Nintendo used to be top of the industry when it came to extensive backwards compat thanks to them recycling architectures between their consoles. But those days are long gone now. Switch 2 getting BC is already unlikely, enhanced BC even moreso. Just finish your Switch backlog, people.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I feel like we're not ready for that, yet. Nintendo didn't make as much of an effort here to make their gimmicks known with the Switch. By around 2019 the whole joycon gyro angle wasdumped and most of the big games coming out were just regular old Wii U ports/Switch games.

With Wii/DS/3DS they squeezed as much they could out of the motion control/ dual screen concept.

That being said i'm firmly on the 'anti-gimmick' side of the Nintendo console split, lol.
Fair enough, but I have a hard time imagining that much of the audience who bought the Switch are going to run out and buy a Switch 2 just to play the same kinds of games with better graphics.

IMO a huge part of the Switch’s success was because it had been long enough for gamers to start missing Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, etc. I don’t think you can replicate that just by iterating on the same formula.

To be clear I don’t want motion controls. I want something new that nobody saw coming. Nobody asked for e.g. motion controls or dual screen handheld, nobody knew that was what they wanted until they saw it.

BlackTron

Doesn't it?

The easier something can be done, the more likely it is to happen.

That's not how Nintendo works. Even Sony holds back performance patches so they can sell you a better version later. And they got it from the book Nintendo wrote millennia ago.

Ulysses 31

That's not how Nintendo works. Even Sony holds back performance patches so they can sell you a better version later. And they got it from the book Nintendo wrote millennia ago.
Sony does that for their own games but I believe 3rd party devs have the choice to charge for upgrade patches. Elden Ring upgrade was free on PS5 and XSX IIRC, FF7R PS5 upgrade was free too after a while.

Last edited:

Beechos

Im worried about a letdown with all the power rumors and cost. All the rumors are about a cutting edge nvida chip, dlss, raytracing. No rumors on display type/size, storage, battery, form factor/cooling, potential dock.

I remember prior to ps5/series people were hyping up amd apu similarly with 15tf+ of power full rt and look what we got.

Top Bottom