• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Red Flags thread

If it doesn't have full BC with Switch, it doesn't exist for me.
For me, if it doesn't have physical/full BC then I'm in no hurry to buy one until it has a handful of quality exclusives, but if it does then it's an easy day one get. No BC and I'll just get a OLED model with the money I'd have used on Switch 2/Super Switch.

If you're all about having no clutter then you should probably just go all in on PC exclusively where it's all in one place every gen.

skyfall

This isn't about not being able to find available space in my house to store the darn thing, jesus. It's a principle, I want all my games in one place and want neither to collect 6 different hardware generations per console maker nor to have 30 consoles in front of my TV where I constantly have to plug and unplug them or be drowned in a sea of cables. It's 2023 and some things should be standard, if all the energy spent trying to convince me was directed towards Nintendo perhaps BC would have been guaranteed by now.

You don't need to have the switch in front of the tv with other consoles and a bunch of cables, it's portable, you can charge the thing anywhere in your house which just an ac adapter.
Another invalid excuse.

Last edited:

LRKD

Whatever the next nintendo console is yeah it better have backwards compatibility. Half of the switchs library are just wii u games.

ryan90k

Neo Member
With rumors piling up, I want to know what are Gaf’s biggest worries for the upcoming console/hybrid?

Mine are
- Backwards Compatibility, I spent six years building my library, Nintendo come on.
- Branding issue, seriously learn from your past mistakes and just call it Switch 2

I personally don’t care much for specs and I don’t play Nintendo games for cutting edge graphics.
My first concern would be having a CPU powerful enough to handle 60fps in a wide number of games. I'm sure they will always optimise for 1st party titles but it would be harder to consider a 3rd party game on the switch 2 if there is no performance mode.

I also have concerns over HDR, VRR and 120hz modes as Nintendo have never supported these before and sony still hasn't gotten VRR correct but it may be important given this will be a less powerful system. VRR LFC could be a game changer and I'd love to see 40fps options in there games too. The screen on handheld mode could certainly benefit from using VRR or 40fps modes so It would be great if the features were there and used.

I would also be concerned over extreme DLSS usage like with star wars jedi survivor and immortals of aveum's which use FSR2 to reconstruct a higher resolution. In the case of Immortals aevum the series s version has a base resolution of 768x436 which is then reconstructed to your monitor resolution, This doesn't look 1080p or even 720p however it just looks blurry and very bad. DLSS does have much better upscaling at lower resolutions compared to FSR2 however but I don't want base resolutions to fall below 720p unless the scaling improves further.

I'm also concerned over price as keeping up with the competition while using a handheld must be difficult, If this costs to much to manufacture and is priced high, consumers may not buy them leading to poor sales and ultimately poor game sales which Nintendo has had happen more than once.

FStubbs

I’m gonna answer OPs question that they didn’t even answer themselves.

The biggest red flag for Switch 2 right now, in my opinion, are people placing too much surface-level faith in the current performance rumors without understanding the physicality of the tech that’s available.

Specifically, there’s been a recent clickbait headline that has been getting spun way out of control, leading some people to believe that the Switch 2 will somehow be as powerful as a PS5 or XSX.

While I have no reason to doubt that the Matrix Awakens demo was ported to a mobile chipset and was running on Switch 2 hardware, there is no possible way it could come close to current console power.

At this point, it’s been all but confirmed that the Switch 2 will be using Orin or an Orin derivative as its SoC, and it’s reasonably assumed that Nintendo will cap the TDP around 15-20W (likely even while docked). So just doing some simple math, a Switch 2 could have a maximum of around 2 tflops, with something like 1.3-1.5 being far more likely.

This puts it squarely in original PS4 range of power. Now, that isn’t the end of the story. With the help of DLSS and modern game engine optimizations, I do believe we’ll have visuals that are at least reasonably close to current gen console games (albeit at a lower resolution, with cherry-picked cutbacks). But even with all of that, we’re still looking at a device that’s 1/5th as powerful as consoles.

So, yeah. The red flag is all the nerd who are regurgitating clickbait stories and probably misleading the general gaming audience.
Or they are viral marketers spreading disinformation.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
New games, I can’t play Tears of the Kingdom on a GameCube, I would have if that game was made for GameCube, really doesn’t need a genuis to figure it out. Maybe the reason why you are so obsessed with Specs is that you have been playing the same game since 2013 with upgraded graphics and frame rate every year??
Sorry what dosent make sence is you.. if specs dosent matter why would you want a new console.. you should want nintendo to never launch a new console again and only develop for the switch ... until a new technology break through comes along and is impossible to mantain the same hardware.

Wanting a new nintendo console just for the sake of it is retarded since you dont care about specs. What would you gain ? More resolution ? Pretty lights ? You dont care about this stuff remember? Because they are tied to specs...

But Ill indulge you ... if nintendo launched a new console the switch 2 with barely any hardware upgrade , just barely, the sufficient to make their 720p games into 900p no more gains or changes. .... and charged 400-500 dollars so you can keep playing their games ... you would be ok with it ? No problem at all .. because muh specs dont matter ?

Last edited:

LRKD

There's over 4500 Switch games, and only about 10 of those are from the Wii U. They aren't really even ports as most are enhanced with added content.
Of those 4500 games, how many are first party exclusives people actually care about?

RCU005

It needs to have full BC including physical games. I don't want to rebuild my library again. And hell I want to see better performance on BC games with dynamic res/fps.

BC is nice to have, but like you don’t have to build your library again. You do know you can keep your switch and still play it even when the new one comes out right?

L*][*N*K

Banned
Sorry what dosent make sence is you.. if specs dosent matter why would you want a new console.. you should want nintendo to never launch a new console again and only develop for the switch ... until a new technology break through comes along and is impossible to mantain the same hardware.

Wanting a new nintendo console just for the sake of it is retarded since you dont care about specs. What would you gain ? More resolution ? Pretty lights ? You dont care about this stuff remember? Because they are tied to specs...

But Ill indulge you ... if nintendo launched a new console the switch 2 with barely any hardware upgrade , just barely, the sufficient to make their 720p games into 900p no more gains or changes. .... and charged 400-500 dollars so you can keep playing their games ... you would be ok with it ? No problem at all .. because muh specs dont matter ?
Well that wont happen but yeah I wouldn’t mind as long as like I explained before I get new games on it, idk why this is such a weird concept to you? If Sony makes PS6 now and it is a significant upgrade but also tells you every game will launch on ps5 as well with no compermise would you be okay with that too?

zeldaring

Banned
I’m gonna answer OPs question that they didn’t even answer themselves.

The biggest red flag for Switch 2 right now, in my opinion, are people placing too much surface-level faith in the current performance rumors without understanding the physicality of the tech that’s available.

Specifically, there’s been a recent clickbait headline that has been getting spun way out of control, leading some people to believe that the Switch 2 will somehow be as powerful as a PS5 or XSX.

While I have no reason to doubt that the Matrix Awakens demo was ported to a mobile chipset and was running on Switch 2 hardware, there is no possible way it could come close to current console power.

At this point, it’s been all but confirmed that the Switch 2 will be using Orin or an Orin derivative as its SoC, and it’s reasonably assumed that Nintendo will cap the TDP around 15-20W (likely even while docked). So just doing some simple math, a Switch 2 could have a maximum of around 2 tflops, with something like 1.3-1.5 being far more likely.

This puts it squarely in original PS4 range of power. Now, that isn’t the end of the story. With the help of DLSS and modern game engine optimizations, I do believe we’ll have visuals that are at least reasonably close to current gen console games (albeit at a lower resolution, with cherry-picked cutbacks). But even with all of that, we’re still looking at a device that’s 1/5th as powerful as consoles.

So, yeah. The red flag is all the nerd who are regurgitating clickbait stories and probably misleading the general gaming audience.
it's not gonna support frame generation and DLSS doesn't do miracles. in some games it won't really give a advantage.

StereoVsn

BC is nice to have, but like you don’t have to build your library again. You do know you can keep your switch and still play it even when the new one comes out right?
Yes, but I want to have carry forward BC. I have plenty of old consoles but having PS5 have PS4 (same for XBone to XSX) compatibility with better performance patches and such was amazing. Not to mention PC side.

I am not going to buy into Switch 2 without support, at least for a few years.

Biggest worry?

That they compromise any more than they already have on Weight, Size, Fan Noise, Battery Life, and Overall Portability.

Please don't listen to the power snobs and make a Nintendo SteamDeck brick.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I get why BC is important but at the same time, just hang on to your Switch. Does it really matter if your library remains exclusive to a console you already own?

BlackTron

I'd be happy paying a $5 surcharge per owned Switch game to transfer to Switch 2....is that fair or am I acting like a Zombie?
zDvUDFV.jpg

I guess I want backwards compatibility but to be honest the only games from Switch that I’d want to keep playing are BOTW, TOTK, and Shin Megami Tensei V.

If the Zelda games aren’t playable on Switch 2 in some form I’ll be surprised. Even if it means buying them again because it’s full price remasters then I’ll do it.

SMTV has had rumours of coming to PC so if that happens then I’ll buy it there. I’d probably double dip even if it’s playable on Switch 2.

Everything else I don’t care about. I’m not expecting any level of performance. Nintendo isn’t about making powerful hardware.

Kenpachii

They can stay on the switch for all i care, a bit more performance would be nice. I want another switch tho, maybe 3D tech can return i liked that on the 3DS.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
With rumors piling up, I want to know what are Gaf’s biggest worries for the upcoming console/hybrid?

Mine are
- Backwards Compatibility, I spent six years building my library, Nintendo come on.
- Branding issue, seriously learn from your past mistakes and just call it Switch 2

I personally don’t care much for specs and I don’t play Nintendo games for cutting edge graphics.

How can you wish for backwards compat, won't it hold up next gen?

Anyhow, my biggest fears are:
- No backwards compat (not likely)
- No patches/improvment for games if there is backwards compat, or Nintendo charges $60 for the patch
- No improvment to the joysticks
- No oled screen
- No increase in size to the screen (should be 8")
- Nintendo goes crazy about the camera and thinks that AR will drive sales and loses focus on regular games
- The hardware could be crappy, if the rumors are wrong. If it lauches with 2018-2019 graphics and not much else they are in for a rude surprise.

Last edited:
IMO, the order of concern is:

1.) Power and performance
2.) The backwards compatibility issue
3.) 3rd party ports. ( Not all, just the heavy hitters).
4.) Nintendo online
5.) Gimmick

A concern about the backwards compatibility. Everyone’s Switch will indeed die permanently as it is a portable device with non replaceable battery (for most people).

These systems will not last anywhere near as long as previous systems. DS, gameboy, NES, SNES, GameCube, or n64.

Last edited:

BlackTron

My biggest worry for some dumb reason today is that they will name it Switch Up

Ridiculous yet strangely plausible in that Nintendo way

Nightmares of Reggie going "It's time...to Switch it up!" with his hand gesture.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Camera and microphone to me. I don't like them in my devices and always cover or deactivate them some way. They must only be turned on when I actually need them.

spons

Gold Member
I wonder if it still has that little Home button LED on the controller not a single game seems to use.

Elysion

Banned
The area with the biggest possibility of being underwhelming is storage imo. Both in regards to size, but also speed. The worst case scenario would be if they put some low amount of slow ass storage in there. Imagine if the Switch 2 came with just 64 or 128 GB of the same storage as the Switch 1.

Top Bottom