• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Red Flags thread

Emedan

I’m gonna answer OPs question that they didn’t even answer themselves.

The biggest red flag for Switch 2 right now, in my opinion, are people placing too much surface-level faith in the current performance rumors without understanding the physicality of the tech that’s available.

Specifically, there’s been a recent clickbait headline that has been getting spun way out of control, leading some people to believe that the Switch 2 will somehow be as powerful as a PS5 or XSX.

While I have no reason to doubt that the Matrix Awakens demo was ported to a mobile chipset and was running on Switch 2 hardware, there is no possible way it could come close to current console power.

At this point, it’s been all but confirmed that the Switch 2 will be using Orin or an Orin derivative as its SoC, and it’s reasonably assumed that Nintendo will cap the TDP around 15-20W (likely even while docked). So just doing some simple math, a Switch 2 could have a maximum of around 2 tflops, with something like 1.3-1.5 being far more likely.

This puts it squarely in original PS4 range of power. Now, that isn’t the end of the story. With the help of DLSS and modern game engine optimizations, I do believe we’ll have visuals that are at least reasonably close to current gen console games (albeit at a lower resolution, with cherry-picked cutbacks). But even with all of that, we’re still looking at a device that’s 1/5th as powerful as consoles.

So, yeah. The red flag is all the nerd who are regurgitating clickbait stories and probably misleading the general gaming audience.
Absolutely, about the only sober take to have. Due to SoC architecture it's also a no brainer it'll be BC, Nintendo would have to go out of their way to not make it so, which would be stupid in my opinion.

The device won't be massively powerful since that would rule out it being able to go handheld - Nintendo wouldn't see 30m-1h battery time to be acceptable for such a device, it was after all the engineering trade off they did when they designed the Switch 1, what would make people think they wouldn't make that the case again? The device is massively successful due to it also being a feasible handheld.

Top Bottom