• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Turns Up Its Nose at Garage Developers [Update: Reggie Clarifies Comment]

antonz

Momo said:
Where do you think games like these come from? Well established plc's?
Well Minecrafts creator was an established developer for a company before he made the game. He left the studio he worked at to devote his time fully to the game so he clearly would not fall into the hobbyist category

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh my God, the real quote is even worse.

They expect indie developers to somehow be able to fund development without any outside capital, and no other jobs? Oh wait, I know how - by launching their games on other platforms and possibly porting it to 3DSWare when they get prestige.

Again, way to foster creativity on your platform, Nintendo. Only accept what's already been proven elsewhere.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
szaromir said:
Supporting garage developes is worth it on PC, iOS, Android, 360 and NGP (I think?). What makes Nintendo platforms so much different from any other relevant platform? Just let interested people to make games with little to zero formalities and upfront costs and EVERYONE wins.
Do you think these garage developers only exist since Microsoft and Apple started having their games or what? Were they absolutely worthless previously? Did Microsoft and Apple hate them before this gen? Is Microsoft dissing them by having Indie Games separate from XBLA like they're not worth as much?

Since when does "we don't want to/have plans to invest in x business right now" mean "x business sucks, we're better"? Go ask them about car manufacturing then write an article about how they diss cars and think their video games are better than cars, lol...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
gerg said:
By saying that they don't produce enough profitable games to be worth Nintendo's investment, not that they don't produce fun games that prove to be very popular. The former statement may be as equally incorrect as the latter, but there's still a difference between the charges.

Sure, I don't mean they're knocking their work, just that it doesn't fit their model very neatly to welcome them all with open arms.

farnham said:
also cave story
which is one of the best games on dsiware and wiiware respectively

Mind you, Cave Story had a reputation before it came to Nintendo's platforms. So even though it was originally developed in someone's free time, by the time they came to Nintendo with it, the game was 'established' to a certain degree. Same as the story with notch or Minecraft, but even moreso - of course they'd work with them now.

How to become a 3DS developer:

Have a studio that isn't your house.
Have $5000.

Oh man, that's so difficult. Nintendo won't let anyone develop games for them!

Momo

Banned
gerg said:
Sure, as I said, from a business perspective (my interpretation of) Reggie's statement may be entirely false. The point is that I don't think that Reggie's statement should be read as "lol garage developers can't make shit".

(On reflection I do realise that "shitting" might be used to refer to turning these developers away, but I think the stronger emphasis of the phrase is in being rude or disparaging about something.)
Oh, I never took Reggies comments as a quip at indie games lacking quality, not even he is that out of touch I wouldn't think. Purely in terms of business and future dev relations, promoting something like XNA would be smart.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:

Have $5000.

Thankfully everyone owns and/or rents buildings that aren't their house and has a spare $5000 sitting around.

What a wondrous time of wealth we live in.

szaromir

Banned
Alextended said:
Do you think these garage developers only exist since Microsoft and Apple started having their games or what? Were they absolutely worthless previously? Did Microsoft and Apple hate them before this gen? Is Microsoft dissing them by having Indie Games separate from XBLA like they're not worth as much?

Since when does "we don't want to/have plans to invest in x business right now" mean "x business sucks, we're better"? Go ask them about car manufacturing then write an article about how they diss cars and think their video games are better than cars, lol...
They've always existed, of course. Currently all platform manufacturers want to have them on board, all except Nintendo that is. And if Nintendo don't want them, no one will cry - developers as well as customers will move on to non-Nintendo platforms.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
AceBandage said:

Have $5000.

Yeah, indie devs have that kind of stuff in spades. And there's really no risk at all! I can see where you're coming from.

How to be a XNA developer:
Have a computer and a normal 360.
Pay a yearly 99$ fee to submit.

How to be an App Store developer:
Have a computer.
Pay a 99$ fee.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Maybe because indie devs can produce better "casual" games than nintendo themselves?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AceBandage said:

Have $5000.

Those are not insubstantial barriers for a starting indie dev, and it's only the beginning in terms of actually getting a game out on the platform. What other hoops do you have to jump through between development of your game and release on the platform?

Compared to other platforms it's not very inviting for a starter dev. It's requires investment in both money and work without any guarantee your game will even be released (AFAIK - I'm sure Nintendo has a not insubstantial approval process), and that's a lot of risk for someone on their own. On other platforms, you have a lot more control, you're much less subject to someone else's say-so about selling or not selling your game.

Lyphen said:
Yeah, indie devs have that kind of stuff in spades. And there's really no risk at all! I can see where you're coming from.

Have a computer and a normal Xbox.

How to be an App Store developer:
Have a computer.
Pay a 99$ fee.

Eh, I dunno, I'd think if you were really serious about making a game on a console, you'd have more capitol and experience.
Where as, if you just wanted to make games, you do it on PC, like has been happening for ages.
Why would you want to release it on something like the 360 or Wii where it will be almost completely ignored?

I don't know why you'd go to Nintendo first when you've got the PC and the app store to go to. If your game is good enough to make some money, then you can move on to the 'big 3'.

I suppose Nintendo still treats its indie devs better than Sony :p

Mithos

Lyphen said:
Have a computer and a normal 360.

And how advanced is this? Halo: Reach capable results or does that require a full Xbox 360 devkit, and how much does this cost?

The way I understand the devkits when you get approved as a Nintendo Wii/DS/3DS developer means you get full access, and "could" do the next Super Mario Galaxy so to speak.

Aaron

Rest assured, this won't prevent the release of My Notebook 3D. By Nintendo's metric, this is the product of a quality developer.

Aaron said:
Rest assured, this won't prevent the release of My Notebook 3D. By Nintendo's metric, this is the product of a quality developer.

Except Reggie never equated "garage developers" with low quality.
Quite the opposite.
Nintendo just doesn't want to be responsible for helping them start up on their system.

gerg

gofreak said:
Sure, I don't mean they're knocking their work, just that it doesn't fit their model very neatly to welcome them all with open arms.

In a way, I agree. One of the reasons you get the diversity of titles on Apple's platforms, for example, is because as long as there's an Angry Birds or some other title firing up the charts (to promote development) Apple doesn't care if that physics puzzler that Johnny programmed in his time off from school ever turns a healthy profit. Depending on how much more involved you want to be with the development of titles, then, working with every person with grand aspirations is simply untenable. The problem Nintendo had this generation, though, is that they were half-assed about it, and didn't do extra work on their part to help co-market and promote digital content themselves.

Tobor

AceBandage said:
Quite the opposite.
Nintendo just doesn't want to be responsible for helping them start up on their system.
No, Reggie wants to protect his pricing.

Draft

AceBandage said:

Have $5000.

I like how nonchalantly you toss that one in. Have a dedicated studio space. You know, just go rent an office in a corporate park somewhere. God, it's only like $5,000 a month.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Mithos said:
And how advanced is this? Halo: Reach capable results or does that require a full Xbox 360 devkit, and how much does this cost?

The way I understand the devkits when you get approved as a Nintendo Wii/DS/3DS developer means you get full access, and "could" do the next Super Mario Galaxy so to speak.
Are you expecting a "garage developer" to put out Halo Reach or Super Mario Galaxy? Why are you even going into this? They're bite sized games, or games with a smaller scope.

No, you won't be able to achieve that. For one thing, it straight up doesn't allow leaderboards. And there are size restrictions.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AceBandage said:
Eh, I dunno, I'd think if you were really serious about making a game on a console, you'd have more capitol and experience.
Where as, if you just wanted to make games, you do it on PC, like has been happening for ages.
Why would you want to release it on something like the 360 or Wii where it will be almost completely ignored?

I think we're also thinking about handhelds here. But in all cases, platforms with strict controls and higher barriers to publishing need to consider their position, and whether their platforms can exclude or present a non-ideal business environment for a batch of game development that is becoming increasingly exciting. Maybe the answer is that they can afford to turn a blind eye, maybe the answer is to loosen up a lot in some ways, or maybe the answer is somewhere in between.

gerg

szaromir said:
Pretty much. They release many underdevelopped games at premium pricing.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "underdeveloped". If we're referring to issues like NSMB Wii not having an online mode, then I fully disagree that that was an "underdeveloped" title. Not all games should be all things to all people.

Aaron

AceBandage said:
Quite the opposite.
I can't remember the name of the dev, by the people who make the My Notebook series don't work from their garage. Where a game is made has nothing to do with its quality. The shit that's been cranked out for the wii and ds is proof of that.

Mithos

Lyphen said:
Are you expecting a "garage developer" to put out Halo Reach or Super Mario Galaxy? Why are you even going into this? They're bite sized games, or games with a smaller scope.
Why?

Because that's the difference. Nintendo will give you dev-capabilities or not, no middle-ground, IF you wanted/spent enough time money you "could" make something that rivals a Super Mario Galaxy, or you just make something "smaller". Maybe Nintendo "should" create and offer a "light" devkit that's restricted to what you can do, but they don't.

Microsoft on the other hand sells a dev-"light"kit (XNA) or a full devkit (360).

Aaron said:
I can't remember the name of the dev, by the people who make the My Notebook series don't work from their garage. Where a game is made has nothing to do with its quality. The shit that's been cranked out for the wii and ds is proof of that.

Yes?
I really don't understand your post.
I, nor Reggie, ever said where the game is made determines its quality.

szaromir

Banned
gerg said:
I'm curious as to what you mean by "underdeveloped". If we're referring to issues like NSMB Wii not having an online mode, then I fully disagree that that was an "underdeveloped" title. Not all games should be all things to all people.
TBH the last Nintendo turds I played were Nintendogs and Brain Training, interesting idea but very few features and extremely low guality (and I have a great deal of respect for so called casual games, just not at that quality level and not at that price), I became wary of their non-high reviewed games since them.

I don't have a Wii, but stuff like Mario & Luigi or Advance Wars is something I happily paid the money for.

szaromir said:
TBH the last Nintendo turds I played were Nintendogs and Brain Training, interesting idea but very few features and extremely low guality (and I have a great deal of respect for so called casual games, just not at that quality level and not at that price), I became wary of their non-high reviewed games since them.

wat

gerg

szaromir said:

It's the same argument as with NSMB Wii. What features, for example, would you want in Brain Training that were lacking? Would you want online leader boards, for example? If so, my question would be why Nintendo should cater to you as a consumer (over catering to consumers who do not request such features) when they operate in a reality that doesn't offer them unlimited time and resources. The only answer I can consider would be that it is a more profitable venture to do so (that Nintendo would make more money satisfying fully both audiences than only one) but it doesn't exactly seem that Nintendo managed to run the Brain Training series into the ground by lacking such features, either. As a result, I fail to find motivation to include that feature on those grounds.

Ridley327

gerg said:
It's the same argument as with NSMB Wii. What features, for example, would you want in Brain Training that were lacking? Would you want online leader boards, for example? If so, my question would be why Nintendo should cater to you as a consumer (over catering to consumers who do not request such features) when they operate in a reality that doesn't offer them unlimited time and resources. The only answer I can consider would be that it is a more profitable venture to do so (that Nintendo would make more money satisfying fully both audiences than only one) but it doesn't exactly seem that Nintendo managed to run the Brain Training series into the ground by lacking such features, either. As a result, I fail to find motivation to include that feature on those grounds.
Although I'm not a Nintendogs fan myself, I can't really think of anything in that game that sticks out as half-baked; if anything, the fact that they were actually able to get convincing animation from the dogs, on ancient hardware no less, is kind of amazing.

Draft said:
I like how nonchalantly you toss that one in. Have a dedicated studio space. You know, just go rent an office in a corporate park somewhere. God, it's only like $5,000 a month.

Yes, their goal is to weed out the garbage that just any random person with the smallest level of game design knowledge can make by making it too expensive for them.

Seeing as they accept plenty of garbage produced by companies though, I'm not sure what their overral plan is. I guess they just really hate that $1-$10 price point.

szaromir

Banned
gerg said:
It's the same argument as with NSMB Wii. What features, for example, would you want in Brain Training that were lacking? Would you want online leader boards, for example? If so, my question would be why Nintendo should cater to you as a consumer (over catering to consumers who do not request such features) when they operate in a reality that doesn't offer them unlimited time and resources. The only answer I can consider would be that it is a more profitable venture to do so, but it doesn't exactly seem that Nintendo managed to run the Brain Training series into the ground by lacking such features, either, so I fail to find motivation there.
I don't know exactly now, it's been years since I played it, but I remember lack of some obvious features (I think graphs of your performance in time were one of it, but maybe it included them?) and very shoddy handwriting recognition. I would have to play again to say for sure, but I have no intention of investing in it again.

Ickman3400 said:
Yes, their goal is to weed out the garbage that just any random person with the smallest level of game design knowledge can make by making it too expensive for them.

Seeing as they accept plenty of garbage produced by companies though, I'm not sure what their overral plan is. I guess they just really hate that $1-$10 price point.

I don't think that's it at all, since a lot of WiiWare/DSiWare games release at under $10.
I think it's just that Nintendo doesn't want just anyone to have a dev kit. Which makes perfect sense, really. Even MS doesn't want just anyone to have a dev kit.
I suppose they could take a similar route and release some kind of toned down kit, but does Nintendo really have that knowledge? I mean, they aren't MS, they don't have a wealth of PC programing to fall back on for that, or simple tools.

gerg

szaromir said:
I don't know exactly now, it's been years since I played it, but I remember lack of some obvious features (I think graphs of your performance in time were one of it, but maybe it included them?) and very shoddy handwriting recognition. I would have to play again to say for sure, but I have no intention of investing in it again.

Of course, there will always be instances of features that don't work properly and are thus underdeveloped in that sense. I distrust more the call that a game is underdeveloped because it didn't have features X and Y.

Ridley327

Ickman3400 said:

I don't think they hate the $1-$10 price range, seeing as there's very few games on WiiWare/DSiWare that break from that. The argument comes from seeing a game like GTA: Chinatown Wars debuting on the DS for $35, and then 7-8 months later it debuts on iOS for a Hamilton. At that point, I don't think the DS game dropped price much, so you were looking at a situation where the DS game cost three times as much.

Jeremiah Slaczka told me that Nintendo turned their nose up to him over Scribblenauts, and look at it, it sold millions without them. Then Konami turned around and made a Japanese version.

Proof that you don't need Nintendo to be able to sell your stuff!

Mithos

Lyphen said:
This is what we're arguing, address this.
I'm not a fan of quantity over quality so, I might not be the best to ask about about this but.

If Nintendo actually started allowing for middle-ground development, it should be as long as the apps are in a section of their own apart from everything else, and that Nintendo have a "VETO" to take great apps over to normal shop and demand a full dev-upgrade when they reach a certain level of success (just like the Unreal licensing over $50.000 earned).

Tobor

Ok, szaromir, this is where we part ways. lol. I was referring to Nintendo's stance on third party games.

The fact is, you can release the shittiest game you want on a Nintendo platform. It could be absolute crap, but as long as you run a business who can afford to press the discs and pay the licensing fees, you'll get it through. I assume they treat downloads the same way.

This is about money. Nintendo needs to make sure that games are seen as worth $50, so they can continue to sell games for $50. Nintendo systems are profitable, but the real money is in software, and Nintendo has to protect that.

Top Bottom