• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Endurance Free Update Announced

It looks more visually appealing than Starfield. It just needs more combat, and some more story stuff.
Yeah. Let's compare an Indie Space Exploration game (that is excellent don't get me wrong) to a Space RPG that is much more hardcore, heavy with storytelling, thousands lines of dialogue and much bigger emphasis on combat. Genius idea.
🤡 🤡 🤡

Good on Hello Games for updating this awesome game and turning out around. Kudos.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Feels like monthly with these updates. I've only gotten to a frigate twice in a playthrough, but once you do get one it does feel like your real "base" - with other planetary outposts serving more a "resource hub" function. Might be time to reinstall.

Yeah. Let's compare an Indie Space Exploration game (that is excellent don't get me wrong) to a Space RPG that is much more hardcore, heavy with storytelling, thousands lines of dialogue and much bigger emphasis on combat. Genius idea.
🤡 🤡 🤡

. . .the user you are responding to was SPECIFICALLY talking about the aesthetic of the game. Like, we all get it, you pay server fees for a website with game reviews - this constant need to "ackchyually" folks discussing games is getting a bit silly no?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
🤡 🤡 🤡

Good on Hello Games for updating this awesome game and turning out around. Kudos.

I think what Elder is trying to say here is based on a single trailer for Starfield, is that they will be very diffrent games... like how you cant compare Half-Life and Doom for example as one has a much heavier focus on story and has thousands of lines of dialog largely made up of scientists screaming "MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING? UURUHHHHAAAAAAH"

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I don't even understand how they can keep turning out huge updates like this. It's so impressive that I want to give it a 10th shot at keeping my attention longer than 30 minutes

Small team handed hundreds of millions from opening sales... even if you pay everyone 100k a year that's going to last awhile...

No shareholders to answer too. Effectively this GAAS is not to keep servers or content moving, its to be able to make someone who's very rich even richer much quicker. Games can support titles for years if they where successfull enough to start with and the money is directed towards the game.

Last edited:
Feels like monthly with these updates. I've only gotten to a frigate twice in a playthrough, but once you do get one it does feel like your real "base" - with other planetary outposts serving more a "resource hub" function. Might be time to reinstall.

. . .the user you are responding to was SPECIFICALLY talking about the aesthetic of the game. Like, we all get it, you pay server fees for a website with game reviews - this constant need to "ackchyually" folks discussing games is getting a bit silly no?
What does a gaming website has to do with this at all? Thanks for free advertising I guess. 🤡

What's getting silly is people being clowns and comparing apples too oranges and if I see that I will call it out. You don't like my comments? Tough shit I guess. Learn to use the ignore button.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't even understand how they can keep turning out huge updates like this. It's so impressive that I want to give it a 10th shot at keeping my attention longer than 30 minutes

One of the more difficult things in going back to NMS is just getting back into the game and remembering where you were with things. I have a habit of restarting which does blunt enjoyment because you're redoing stuff you've already done before (the tutorial in the game is now actually really well done, but it is long and definitely not something someone should be doing if they want to keep interest in the game).

What's getting silly is people being clowns and comparing apples too oranges and if I see that I will call it out.

How is comparing the visual identity of two games we've already seen "apples and oranges?"

You don't like my comments? Tough shit I guess. Learn to use the ignore button.

Much edge. So legend.

One of the more difficult things in going back to NMS is just getting back into the game and remembering where you were with things. I have a habit of restarting which does blunt enjoyment because you're redoing stuff you've already done before (the tutorial in the game is now actually really well done, but it is long and definitely not something someone should be doing if they want to keep interest in the game).

How is comparing the visual identity of two games we've already seen "apples and oranges?"

Much edge. So legend.

You must of missed the part where he is wanting more story and better combat. No Man's Sky is not designed that way, it's more about exploring the planets and building stuff.

This is like someone coming and saying man... "Man I love the fast gameplay of Call of Duty, but I wish it also had more tactical and slower paced combat like Battlefield 1."

Absolute 🤡 level shit.

Just stop making dumb comparisons is all I am saying.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Elder Legend Elder Legend , you talk about using the ignore button so please, next time do that instead of calling other people clowns for their perfectly valid comments.

Nothing against you but man, you made me want to put you on ignore there for a second. That seething was uncalled for imo.

As for the game itself, bravo Hello Games for the support but, if the main gameplay loop is still shooting lasers at rocks and managing inventory, then I guess this is still not for me.
Might be wrong tho and if that's the case I'd love to be corrected. :)

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You must of missed the part where he is wanting more story and better combat. No Man's Sky is not designed that way, it's more about exploring the planets and building stuff.

This is like someone coming and saying man... "Man I love the fast gameplay of Call of Duty, but I wish it also had more tactical and slower paced combat like Battlefield 1."

Absolute 🤡 level shit.

Just stop making dumb comparisons is all I am saying.

What're you talking about? How is "NMS needs better combat and a story. . ." not a valid criticism of the game? Further, it is a criticism that is clearly in isolation of STARFIELD. How do I know this? Because Salz01 Salz01 hasn't played STARFIELD (I think; if they have funk them and their entire dynasty for getting to play the game before the rest of us plebs).

. . .also, NMS is absolutely about combat. There are entire factions, player ship types and progression systems tied to combat and combat related goals. There is also foot combat that, while not as fleshed out (or wasn't when I last played; the update that focused on Sentinels might have changed that) as combat in space, you absolutely are able to kit yourself (or rather your multi-tool) to be more effective when engaging with enemies or native fauna.

Wild. Wild stuff.

Elder Legend Elder Legend , you talk about using the ignore button so please, next time do that instead of calling other people clowns for their perfectly valid comments.

Nothing against you but man, you made me want to put you on ignore there for a second. That seething was uncalled for imo.

As for the game itself, bravo Hello Games for the support but, if the main gameplay loop is still shooting lasers at rocks and managing inventory, then I guess this is still not for me.
I am sorry dude, but anytime time there is a positive NMS thread or a positive Starfield thread, there is always going to be those few people getting out of the woodwork to say something negative about a game they never played and its been getting on my nerves.

Someone will find a way to say Starfield bad because X, Y or Z in a positive Starfield thread. Or someone will find way to shit on the game in a positive NMS game saying its better than Starfield cause X, Y or Z. This is why it's pissing me off. No one has played this game.

NMS is a very different game, the only similarities they have is the fact that they both take place in space. No Man's Sky also turned into a completely different game (for the better) over a period of time and became something much more.

Do you see why I am so annoyed?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I am sorry dude, but anytime time there is a positive NMS thread or a positive Starfield thread, there is always going to be those few people getting out of the woodwork to say something negative about a game they never played and its been getting on my nerves.

Someone will find a way to say Starfield bad because X, Y or Z in a positive Starfield thread. Or someone will find way to shit on the game in a positive NMS game saying its better than Starfield cause X, Y or Z. This is why it's pissing me off. No one has played this game.

NMS is a very different game, the only similarities they have is the fact that they both take place in space. No Man's Sky also turned into a completely different game (for the better) over a period of time and became something much more.

I start to see it yeah, thanks for taking the time to tell me about it man. :)

And yeah I agree that we shouldn't use unreleased games as comparison but... I dunno, this time it was just about the visuals, so it's not like the guy is directly shitting on Starfield but rather just making a comparison based on the visuals of both trailers.

Anyway, I'm excited to play both games! Glad we are getting so many updates for this one, will probably make the wait for Starfield easier for some people.

I played this at launch, played this again after one of the first huge expansions (late 2017?)... I wonder if it is time to play it yet again? It already felt greatly improved back in 2017, it must be like an entirely different game today.

All you need to play everything on the PS5 version is the original launch PS4 disc, right? Might pick one of those up and give this a go later this year. Funny that they were like $5 new a one point because retailers were dumping them, and now used it looks like it is around $20.

Roxkis_ii

Another free update!?
HOW ARE THEY FUNDING THIS GAME!?

This is probably the best supported, non free to play game on console right now.

Guess it's time to lose another week to Nms.

Hello games need another award or something. The after lunch support of this game is impeccable!

The_hunter

The combat is a bit lacking, or I haven't figured out where all the interesting encounters are. The mechanics don't fit together as well as something like Minecraft, but the amount of updates the games gets leaves me hopeful for it to improve.

The story is great, especially if you program. Feels like something a programmer wrote.

Last edited:

Fredrik

if the main gameplay loop is still shooting lasers at rocks and managing inventory, then I guess this is still not for me.
Mining is still a big part of the game, no doubt, but then you have all the other gameplay loops on top of that, they’ve added so much stuff by now that it’s easier to say what you can’t do than list all you can do.

It’s such an amazing game, one of my all time favorites, biggest issue for me is deciding if I should start over and what to focus on; farming, trading, mining, building, freighter stuff, settlement stuff, exploring, do quests, etc.

Recently I’ve done lots of settlement tasks. It’s interesting, but waiting an hour for a building process to get ready will forever annoy me even though I understand I could just go away and do other stuff for awhile. I hope they make it like any other thing you craft, instant crafting.

Will jump in and check out the new update tonight. If I can find the time! I seriously have way too much to play right now…
No Man’s Sky, FH5 Hot Wheels, Stray, A Plague Tale, need to go through Horizon FW, and should finish Tunic, and playing Doom Eternal made me interested in the previous Doom, I installed Hades too, and started playing Shadow of the Colossus remake, phew

Aenima

I played this at launch, played this again after one of the first huge expansions (late 2017?)... I wonder if it is time to play it yet again? It already felt greatly improved back in 2017, it must be like an entirely different game today.

All you need to play everything on the PS5 version is the original launch PS4 disc, right? Might pick one of those up and give this a go later this year. Funny that they were like $5 new a one point because retailers were dumping them, and now used it looks like it is around $20.
Yeah all you need to install the PS5 version is the PS4 disk.
The game is very diferent than what it was at launch. They just dont added new stuff but also changed how some old stuff works.

Its amazing the support this game has got and always for free.

Last edited:

chromhound

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

CuNi

If you buy Hello Games games in the future, you might get another dumpster fire of a launch, but you can be sure that they will make it right and then add some more on top!

Holammer

Another free update!?
HOW ARE THEY FUNDING THIS GAME!?

This is probably the best supported, non free to play game on console right now.

Guess it's time to lose another week to Nms.

Hello games need another award or something. The after lunch support of this game is impeccable!
By selling more copies. Every time they do one of these fat updates they slash the price 50%, it starts climbing on Steam Top Sellers and user engagement increases. I expect similar behavior on PS and Xbox. Same thing happened before Terraria and Stardew Valley where mega updates lead to increased sales.
When the 'Labor of Love' update drops for Terraria it's going to sell a couple of 100k copies and plant itself as a top selling title for a week, guaranteed.

Apart from selling more, they're also developing technology, tools and systems for a future title that's being worked on.

Kev Kev

Jesus, I really need to reinstall this. Didn't realize I missed so many updates. Also, I want a freighter and a crew. Pretend we're colonial marines on a bug hunt.
You can come across derelict ships floating in space that have low lighting, are all crashed up, have bugs in them to kill, stuff to find, etc. As most things go in NMS it’s not super high quality, but it does the trick as far as feeling like your in an alien movie.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
All the added features are appealing, but I still can't get motivated to buy this game because one central element still looks horrible to me in all the shots I've seen: the planets.

I love good procedural generation, but everything I've seen of NMS landscapes looks like we never learned anything from Minecraft or prior games. There's no sense of organization or coherent biomes, it just looks like an endless pile of random junk. It reminds me most of the ugly randomized planets in Lego Worlds.

I don't know, I just don't see any genuine sense of mystery to the worlds, no desire to explore for deep interesting cave structures etc. But I'm only judging based on movies / screenshots. Maybe the good planets haven't been shown.

Catphish

I’ve been an on and off player of NMS and I don’t see why you’re annoyed.

I agree that the game would benefit from more varied combat and a better story. Because it would.

In fact, those two things are often cited by people who don’t stick with the game.

You jumping someone’s shit for stating so is ridiculous.

TintoConCasera

The combat is a bit lacking, or I haven't figured out where all the interesting encounters are. The mechanics don't fit together as well as something like Minecraft, but the amount of updates the games gets leaves me hopeful for it to improve.

The story is great, especially if you program. Feels like something a programmer wrote.
Hey yeah, that's me! Haha I wonder what you mean by that exactly, got me even more interested in the game.

Just hope the story isn't about debugging some legacy code, miss me with that shit. :lollipop_tongue:

Mining is still a big part of the game, no doubt, but then you have all the other gameplay loops on top of that, they’ve added so much stuff by now that it’s easier to say what you can’t do than list all you can do.

It’s such an amazing game, one of my all time favorites, biggest issue for me is deciding if I should start over and what to focus on; farming, trading, mining, building, freighter stuff, settlement stuff, exploring, do quests, etc.

Recently I’ve done lots of settlement tasks. It’s interesting, but waiting an hour for a building process to get ready will forever annoy me even though I understand I could just go away and do other stuff for awhile. I hope they make it like any other thing you craft, instant crafting.
So it's a central part of the game but there's still more to it than just that uh? Cool, might try it today to check out myself, thanks!

Will jump in and check out the new update tonight. If I can find the time! I seriously have way too much to play right now…
No Man’s Sky, FH5 Hot Wheels, Stray, A Plague Tale, need to go through Horizon FW, and should finish Tunic, and playing Doom Eternal made me interested in the previous Doom, I installed Hades too, and started playing Shadow of the Colossus remake, phew
Haha I get you bro, can't help by laugh nervously whenever someone mentions the "gaming drought".

Last edited:

Fredrik

All the added features are appealing, but I still can't get motivated to buy this game because one central element still looks horrible to me in all the shots I've seen: the planets.

I love good procedural generation, but everything I've seen of NMS landscapes looks like we never learned anything from Minecraft or prior games. There's no sense of organization or coherent biomes, it just looks like an endless pile of random junk. It reminds me most of the ugly randomized planets in Lego Worlds.

I don't know, I just don't see any genuine sense of mystery to the worlds, no desire to explore for deep interesting cave structures etc. But I'm only judging based on movies / screenshots. Maybe the good planets haven't been shown.
There are gorgeous planets but unfortunately they’re hard to find. I used to have a base on the most awesome lush blue grass planet but then they wiped the universe for better procedural generation or something at an update and the planet became a green toxic hell hole 😕

It’s no Elden Ring exploration that’s for sure. The exploration in the universe is mostly about finding Atlas stations and black holes and planets that look cool or have things that give you lots of money when you sell. And on the planets you search for outposts, trading places, crashed ships, ancient ruins, specific resources or animals etc.

The planets don’t have multiple biomes, yet. Some parts of a planet can have huge waters though and other parts can have big mountains, but a cold planet is a cold planet all around and weather changes affect the whole planet. I hope this is something they update going forward, at least paradise planets should have multiple biomes so you don’t feel like you have to leave when you finally find your perfect home planet.

Might not be a game for you but you should give it a try it you find it on a sale. I’ve had friends hating on it and then buying it and turn into mega fans. It’s a strange game. It does so many things good enough that it’s hard to pinpoint what the core gameplay loop actually is and what could eventually pull you in. Some just spend their time doing freighter tasks. Some only build bases. There is so much to do.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Despite the disastrous launch, I think its worth noticing that they are giving the game and its fanbase the respect they deserve. Most of companies would simply abandon ship and go next to the next bait, but those guys certainly earned their trust back and more.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
50% off right now on PSN. Bought and installed. Be jumping between Stray and this tonight. Never played at launch after the horror stories but I have always wanted to play it.

Looks like it’s finally worth £20, I’m sure I will get many dozens of hours of enjoyment…… or I’ll play it for a bit, then stop and then spend more money on games and add to my stupid backlog. I love video games 😂

Top Bottom