• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norcal Regionals 2015 - Fighting Game Tournament - April 3rd - 5th

IMO the runback was fair. Winner or loser shouldn't be decided on a version which they don't play on a regular basis. Plus props to Knucle du, beating kazunoko is no easy task but he did.

He only needed six games to do it

But he still did. As a matter of fact these two are very evenly matched. First set was super close and the 2nd one Du was the winner. Every match is a back and forth between the two. Props to knuckle Du. He leveled up. As a matter of fact I believe if gamerbee didn't cheese him with Elena which is a horrible matchup for guile I think he could've beaten Gamerbee too. But would've gotten destroyed by daigo again though. That man was top of his game last night.

But he still did. As a matter of fact these two are very evenly matched. First set was super close and the 2nd one Du was the winner. Every match is a back and forth between the two. Props to knuckle Du. He leveled up. As a matter of fact I believe if gamerbee didn't cheese him with Elena which is a horrible matchup for guile I think he could've beaten Gamerbee too. But would've gotten destroyed by daigo again though. That man was top of his game last night.

You mean like how Nuckledu cheesed Justin with using Guile vs his Rufus?

I think i'm starting to understand where you're coming from.

Props to Nuckledu

Sheroking

guile vs rufus is 5-5

No it's not. Dieminion thinks it's 6-4, Justin thinks it's 6-4, Ricky thinks it's tough (and Ricky thinks Evil Ryu/Rufus is 5-5, which boggles my mind).

You can't jump on reaction to sonic boom, it recovers too fast. You have to cross up or you get flash kicked. There are safe set-ups, but they suck. You have to read the cr.mk or defensive crouch jab to dive kick Guile. Guile wins the neutral game with better buttons. As Rufus, you get duffed with forward fierce five times a match trying to walk forward against a competent guile because you can't jump in that match.

It's one of Rufus' hardest matches in the game, right up there with Sagat.

DigiMish

John Choi doing it right by the players:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1slk8of

8 players were deeply affected from this. The mental and emotional pressure of having to replay the matches again was completely unfair to them. One player specifically affected by this mistake was Kazunoko, as the result of his match was changed. As an apology, I would like to personally offer him a paid trip to SCR or another US premier event. I know this does not rectify the mistake, but it would give him the opportunity he deserves at another premier event.

Sheroking

Not even close to as bad as Sagat and Poision. You win the round with one good read.

Poison's not nearly as bad if you use W Ultra. You can catch her backdash and her fierce fireball and she has to think about love me tender.

You beat Poison by cornering her too, but getting in on Guile is harder because of flash kick IMO.

I would say that if they didn't replay any matches, KnuckleDu would have been robbed because Kazunoko was playing with a better version of Yun, with +1 ex lunge punch and better meter gain, and he still made it extremely close going to a 4th game. If it was the correct version in the first place, I think Du would have taken it. It's bad that rolling back the bracket had to happen but I think it had to be done to be fair since they need to play the correct version, even though Kazunoko still deserves props for what he has accomplished. Thumbs up to Choi for pulling through and giving Kazunoko a hand.

mbpm1

No it's not. Dieminion thinks it's 6-4, Justin thinks it's 6-4, Ricky thinks it's tough (and Ricky thinks Evil Ryu/Rufus is 5-5, which boggles my mind).

You can't jump on reaction to sonic boom, it recovers too fast. You have to cross up or you get flash kicked. There are safe set-ups, but they suck. You have to read the cr.mk or defensive crouch jab to dive kick Guile. Guile wins the neutral game with better buttons. As Rufus, you get duffed with forward fierce five times a match trying to walk forward against a competent guile because you can't jump in that match.

It's one of Rufus' hardest matches in the game, right up there with Sagat.
Idk about the rest, but dieminion thinks its 6-4 for Rufus, not guile

mbpm1

It actually made a huge difference in the grand scheme of things since if it was Kazunoko that made it through then Daigo would have been in pretty deep shit.
Kazunoko struggled to beat 75% Daigo in the past so ehh, idk about that.

Plus Gamerbee still would have beaten him imo.

Just watched the Top 8 from USF4. Someone put up a poverty recording on Youtube.
God damn.
Daigo was just stealing everyone's soul. Body bags all over the place, man.
The true power of the Satsui no hadou.

mbpm1

Just watched the Top 8 from USF4. Someone put up a poverty recording on Youtube.
God damn.
Daigo was just stealing everyone's soul. Body bags all over the place, man.

Only one who could've given him a fight that he faced was NuckleDu if he played Guile all the way

Kikujiro

Justin doesn't counterpick. He sticks it out win or lose no matter the game.

Daigo played that Dudley match perfectly. Damn, he owned Smug.

Justin didn't counterpick because his Rufus was enough to win US majors and minor tournies, now that the competion is fiercer and more international players are coming due to big payouts and sponsors his Rufus is not enough anymore, this is why he's learning Rose.

malfcn

I know I am late to the party, but just read the article of the players being on the wrong SF4 version. They said the patches were installed, but because it was disc based the game rolled back. That sounds kind of whack, but is that possible? (Ignoring possible DRM).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I know I am late to the party, but just read the article of the players being on the wrong SF4 version. They said the patches were installed, but because it was disc based the game rolled back. That sounds kind of whack, but is that possible? (Ignoring possible DRM).

Disc USF4 and DLC USF4 are distinct games as far as the patching system is concerned, and they only had the patch for one of those versions. They used the wrong disc.

malfcn

Disc USF4 and DLC USF4 are distinct games as far as the patching system is concerned, and they only had the patch for one of those versions. They used the wrong disc.

This is what I read from Choi:

Note that USFIV can be acquired in a variety of ways. This replacement console was digitally upgraded to 1.04, which keeps the update on the internal hard drive. When a user puts in a game disc however, the Xbox reads the data off the disc rather than looking through the hard drive. When the Smash finals concluded, the team on stage swapped out to the Xbox I dropped off and put in an USFIV disc which made the Xbox default to original disc version 1.00, instead of 1.04 from the hard drive.

Maybe Justin should've learned a counterpick in the 6 years that he's played the game

Kappa

remember that one evo with Vanilla SF4 (maybe evo 2009)? Justin Wong vs Daigo grand finals... and then Justin pulled out the Balrog counter pick. He even reset from losers bracket.

Top Bottom