• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea gets sea-based ballistic missiles, thanks to subs provided by...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...an affiliate of the Unification Church. Which is headed by our good friend, the Reverend Sun Myung Moon.

Reuters article on the missiles HERE
Submarine connection to Moon HERE

These are old diesel submarines that supposedly had their weapon launching capability disabled. However, if they cannot be fixed, the subs could still be used to attack South Korea or Japan. Loading such a weapon onto a submarine may also take away our pre-emptive strike ability.

Even if the subs themselves are useless, they assisted North Korea in developing their missile program, which could be put to use in NK's own submarine development. Plus, there's the matter of intent. So, it seems more insane than ever that we have politicians on both sides of the aisle (but the Bush family in particular) that take money from this man and attend Unification Church functions.

The subs are an old story, but the missile tech isn't. According to the Jane story, the new sea-based missiles have three times the range of the Nodong missile (place your joke here), and the Nodong would've needed modification to fit a sub, making the range even shorter. That's not really an effective threat, as you might as well just pull the damn sub into a port and set off the nuke there. Which would have been a threat to Japan and South Korea, but probably not us...I'd like to think we could detect a sub running on diesel and old technology before it gets that close to our shores.

Being able to fire from over 1500 miles away might be a different story.

MaddenNFL64

1st North Korean war was a tie.

I wonder what'll happen this time? ;)

The thing is, are we going to fight every dictator in the world to mold it to our own image of goodness? Shouldn't we just wait for a natural uprising? So many kingdoms & governments have fallen over the years through inward pressures, I doubt we need to fight the world.

If we do, I hope we have a backup plan when it blows up in our face.

MaddenNFL64 said:

The thing is, are we going to fight every dictator in the world to mold it to our own image of goodness? Shouldn't we just wait for a natural uprising? So many kingdoms & governments have fallen over the years through inward pressures, I doubt we need to fight the world.

If we do, I hope we have a backup plan when it blows up in our face.

Not to mention have some people to act when your empire collapses ;)

MaddenNFL64 said:

Seoul will get nuked, the rest of South Korea will be sprayed with chemical and biological weapons, and North Korea would be turned into a radioactive wasteland.

Nukes take all the fun out of war.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Reverend Moon also owns the right-wing propaganda outlet, The Washington Times... and if this story were to be believed, he is also aiding the North Koreans...

hmm.... ;)

SKluck

Banned
You would think other countries would WANT to adopt a government like our own, considering we are one of the most, if not the most successful country in the world.

Mumbles

Hitokage said:
Reverend Moon also owns the right-wing propaganda outlet, The Washington Times... and if this story were to be believed, he is also aiding the North Koreans...

hmm.... ;)

But to his benefit, he's the king of the US, and also the king of kings.

Phoenix

SKluck said:
You would think other countries would WANT to adopt a government like our own, considering we are one of the most, if not the most successful country in the world.

And you credit our form of government for that success?

Pimpwerx

As someone else pointed out, the US has been successful IN SPITE OF its government. Republics aren't very different from dictatorships. Just spread the power out among 50 guys instead of 1. Still means they sell our rights to the highest bidder. PEACE.

SKluck said:

Democracies are really hard to handle sometimes. If the population is in a religious or politcal zeal, they can all of a sudden vote for a dictator or something. You do know that Hitler was elected?

OT, this is a little beef I always had with Civlization, you couldn't buy the Democracy, which is total bullshit, its a lot harder to buy a communist dictator then a democracy that under the infulence of propaganda and vote to overthrow their own government.

Vieo

I've a little about him in the past, but who exactly is this Sun Myung Moon character? And when you say he's a reverend, do you mean like Al Sharpton or Reverend Run?

Vieo said:
I've a little about him in the past, but who exactly is this Sun Myung Moon character? And when you say he's a reverend, do you mean like Al Sharpton or Reverend Run?

The most fucked up man you have barely heard of. And he is extremely powerful. He owns the Washington Times. Do a search on him and be very scared. He claims to have talked to Stalin, Jesus, Lincoln, Hitler. Oh, and he claims to be the second coming of Christ. And he was crowned king of something, IN THE US CAPITAL BUILDING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom