• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nov NPD Hardware and Software INCORRECT NUMBERS! GAF ON LIFESUPPORT!

Mrbob said:
Damn this probably means CoD2 pwnz0r3d PDZ in sales. Too bad.

You need to appreciate how freaking hard it is to sell 260k SW units to 332k HW units.

That's a freaking 78% attach rate!!!! :O :O :O

Razoric

Banned
sonycowboy said:
You need to appreciate how freaking hard it is to sell 260k SW units to 332k HW units.

That's a freaking 78% attach rate!!!! :O :O :O

The Call of Duty 2 demo almost convinced me to buy a 360. It's probably the best showcase of the system to date.

koam

Nintendo: 1,552,341 - 52.06%
Sony: 905,868 - 30.38%
Microsoft: 523,441 - 17.55%

I think Nintendo is happy :)

Striek

koam said:

Definitely. They were happier last year when they had more % though ;-)

Mrbob

You realize what these impressive 360 software sales mean, right?

$59.99 games FTW.

Sonycowboy do you have Madden 2001 PS2 sales. I think the 360 version of 06 is on pace to outsell Madden 2001 on PS2. Madden 2001 PS2 was the only next gen Madden game around at the time.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
A few comments on HW sales
-------------------------------------

3) GBA is not that incredible, IMO (923,664 / 1,198,489 / 1,186,667 / 1,117,175 were the sales the past 4 years in November). Still, it's a bit higher than I thought as I thought DS would be higher and eat into the GBA sales more.

7) The Gamecube is also incredibly disappointing. 280k is it's lowest total in December, ever. By a big amount. ( 647k / 425k / 751k / 350k were it's sales the past 4 years).
It think you're being a bit too hard on GC & GBA, given both platforms have almost nothing in terms of new development and future prospects going. The fact they're even somewhat keeping pace is amazing in itself. How is GBA holding compared to PSone's second Christmas after it's successor platform hit (2001)? Was PSone still outselling PS2, GC and Xbox at that point?

koam said:

I think they probably are too, but the software sales might not be as great for them. I'll be curious to see how PSP/DS software sales match up, considering the HW is so close

Kuroyume

Banned
Who the hell bought those Gamecubes? Wtf?

Oh, and I can't believe someone got banned for not liking Fire Emblem. :lol WOW

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
If folks don't find the sales of the PSP impressive considering how much the thing is... well... poo on you.

heidern

bunkum said:
PSP GTA: LIBERTY CITY STORIES $11,873,390 246,081

Aww man, if these were only 10K higher I would have been spot on. The 360 software numbers are interesting too, those Call of Duty sales are really awesome, looks like it'll be a comfortable number one for the system. I think the awesome 360 software sales in generally threw everyone off. And SC is right, excuses like people bought games without a system or bundling fiascos are off, not with a tie-ratio of a massive 4:1. I predicted $40M in software for the system but which made up 35 of the $60M I was off by. I'm guessing GBA software sales may also have been surprisingly strong.

jarrod said:
It think you're being a bit too hard on GC & GBA, given both platforms have almost nothing in terms of new development and future prospects going. The fact they're even somewhat keeping pace is amazing in itself. How is GBA holding compared to PSone's second Christmas after it's successor platform hit (2001)? Was PSone still outselling PS2, GC and Xbox at that point?

The PSOne outsold the Xbox & GC until then end of 2002. The PS2 killed it in 2001 with some monster sales, but the PSOne also did phenomenally well the that year.

koam

GitarooMan said:
I think they probably are too, but the software sales might not be as great for them. I'll be curious to see how PSP/DS software sales match up, considering the HW is so close

I'm pretty sure they are dissappointed with their software, but its not like they're losing any money on their hardware.

koam said:

Nintendo is dominating the US and Japan this holiday season. Holy snap it's true.

I can't wait to see MK:DS sales.

koam said:

[Mr.Bob]Another dissapointing month for Nintendo. PSP domination is inevitable. Those Nintendo numbers are inflated because Nintendo gave away systems to needy children.[/Mr.Bob]

:)

Izzy

Banned
littlewig said:
Does anyone know why the US hasn't embraced the DS and PSP this year like the other regions have?

I find it weird that Europe is about to surpass the installed base for both these handhelds in the US and it was released later, especially for the PSP.

Why haven't people made the switch from GBA to the new handhelds?

DS needs Pokemon and Sony need to drop PSP price.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mrbob said:
A ton of 44 dollar GBA units sold through Walmart. Makes the GBA number even less impressive. GBA down big YoY.

I thought NPD doesn't track Walmart numbers.

mutsu

Seriously, I fucking LOVE
that Fire Emblem thingy.
And waffles. LOVE waffles.

Not banned anymore it seems :)

$99 is crack cocaine for portables in North America.

Always has been, always will be.

Soccer moms and holiday shoppers aren't as keen on anything more than that price for a game portable here in North America, so DS/PSP have to sell to more of an informed/hardcore audience ... which is a more limited audience.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Wow, look at those PSP numbers at twice the cost! Basically the same as the DS!

Wow, look at those DS numbers with half the graphical power! Basically the same as the PSP!

It's a pointless argument. You just have to go on the numbers, you can argue it either way just as well.

Izzy

Banned
DarienA said:
If folks don't find the sales of the PSP impressive considering how much the thing is... well... poo on you.

In comparison with EU numbers both PSP and DS numbers are pathetic. Boy, will it be funny when their cumulative EU numbers surpass US numbers. ESPECIALLY in PSP's case (with September EU launch and all).

Oblivion

Mama Smurf said:
Wow, look at those PSP numbers at twice the cost! Basically the same as the DS!

Wow, look at those DS numbers with half the graphical power! Basically the same as the PSP!

It's a pointless argument. You just have to go on the numbers, you can argue it either way just as well.

Hehe, well said. :)

heidern

I thought NPD doesn't track Walmart numbers.
Walmart numbers are extrapolated useing statistical analysis.

Something to chew over - Sony's prediction for the Holiday season:

Posted on 20 Oct 2005 # Reuters

Sony expects to sell 2.5 mln-3 mln PSPs this holiday season

SAN FRANCISCO: Sony Corp. plans to sell between 2.5 million and 3 million PlayStation Portable handheld video game devices in its first North American holiday season, the head of Sony Computer Entertainment America said.

''We're going to try to double the installed base between now and the end of the year,'' Kaz Hirai, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and chief executive, told Reuters in a telephone interview.

Hirai said the company had sold about 2.3 million PSPs in North America as of the end of September.

Hirai also said Sony is expecting to sell 2.5 million to ''a tad below 3 million'' units of its industry-leading PlayStation 2 console in North America between now and the end of 2005.

Looks like Sony caught the Namco bug :/

Oblivion

SantaCruZer said:
wow I am surprised that Nintendo has a great holiday though they got shit for Gamecube.

Remember, there's still Mario Party 7. And though I detest those Mario Party games, they're quite popular and have always sold a lot when released.

:lol Holy shit at Sony's PSP estimates.

They're not even going to come close.

The DS in North America is really just icing on the cake. Releasing DS was worth it for Nintendo just to kill the PSP in Japan.

Even if Nintendo never released the DS in North America, the GBA still would've destroyed the PSP.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
heidern said:
Walmart numbers are extrapolated useing statistical analysis.

Something to chew over - Sony's prediction for the Holiday season:

Posted on 20 Oct 2005 # Reuters

Looks like Sony caught the Namco bug :/
That is so not going to happen.

donny2112 said:
Code:
Frankfurter	372,576
heidern		464,338
Scotch		529,338
Chibbi Brady	529,338
Leondexter	531,978
Ganondorf>Link	594,770
AniHawk		594,794

Frankfurter was closest on hardware. Congratulations! :)

Yes ^^

After I saw the numbers I thought that I would be really far off, but that looks quite solid :)

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
The PSOne outsold the Xbox & GC until then end of 2002. The PS2 killed it in 2001 with some monster sales, but the PSOne also did phenomenally well the that year.
What were it's November 2001 numbers? And what were the the Nov numbers the previous four years?

The basic problem with your GC/GBA evalutions is you're giving no room for the concept of natural decline, which is what these platforms should be doing at this point... especially compared to PS2 which is still the development darling, still getting the highest profile releases. The fact that GC and especially GBA are holding up as well as they are with the kind of support they're getting is anything but "dissapointing" really.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
soundwave05 said:

The DS in North America is really just icing on the cake. Releasing DS was worth it for Nintendo just to kill the PSP in Japan.

Even if Nintendo never released the DS in North America, the GBA still would've destroyed the PSP.
Don't go overboard now, NoA was and probably still is really really scared by the psp.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, Nintendo am happy, DS outsells PSP in NA yet another month, still sold more in Europe although due to Sony's delay and shortages they had the advantage, and is on it's way to out-sell the PSP by 2:1 in Japan by sometime early next year unless we see a change in the current sales trend.

SantaC

Oblivion said:
Remember, there's still Mario Party 7. And though I detest those Mario Party games, they're quite popular and have always sold a lot when released.

well I own Mario Party 7 and it's a good game, but not exactly a killerapp like they usually have every x-mas (zelda :(()

Oblivion

soundwave05 said:

"We plan on selling 2-3 million PSPs for the holiday season"

*final sales perform under expectations*

"We've succeeded in shipping 2-3 million PSPs for the holiday season"

Top Bottom