• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

Safros

Purely anecdotal but this doesn't surprise me at all after having noticed that I was literally the only person among my friends where I live that bought this, especially since everyone bought D1 back in the day.
I regret it too. Such a mediocre game.

Is the whole "wait for pc" said sarcastically or do people expect it to make up for the sales on consoles?
I'm genuinely asking. Are pc players really that wanting for Destiny 2?

There was a lot of good will from PC players after thr beta, but it does feel like excitement has cooled somewhat. They should have launced same time as console. Anyway, I'm buying on PC and I think it's going to sell quite well on the platform.

ethomaz

Banned
There was a lot of good will from PC players after thr beta, but it does feel like excitement has cooled somewhat. They should have launced same time as console. Anyway, I'm buying on PC and I think it's going to sell quite well on the platform.
They probably beat on double dipping... that is what I believe Activision choose to launch PC late.

BTW that is the reason I believe most publishers chose to launch PC at last.

They probably beat on double dipping... that is what I believe Activision choose to launch PC late.

I actually believe this. Some of us did but in the end I think it might have hurt overall sales numbers versus loosing hype because of the delay. I don't know I am not a video game sales wizard.

Nameless

Well this isn't 2014. Destiny faces an onslaught of fresh competition in this Live/GaaS world it helped grow: PUBG, Overwatch, Splatoon, Rocket League, Fortnite, [insert Ubi game]etc... nevermind tons of SP titles shooting passed 40 hours. Bungie needed to make a damn convincing argument to bring everyone back to the table, much less grow the player base. While Destiny 2 is a fine package overall, I don't think they did.

Obviously PC and digital will brighten the outlook, but yeah, people have more than enough shit to sink their time & money into. Dont be surprised to see retention numbers drop compared to D1 too.

Well this isn't 2014. Destiny faces an onslaught of fresh competition in this Live/GaaS world it helped grow: PUBG, Overwatch, Splatoon, Rocket League, Fortnite, [insert Ubi game]etc... nevermind tons of SP titles shooting passed 40 hours. Bungie needed to make a damn convincing argument to bring everyone back to the table, much less grow the player base. While Destiny 2 is a fine package overall, I don't think they did.

Obviously PC and digital will brighten the outlook, but yeah, people have more than enough shit to sink their time & money into. Dont be surprised to see retention numbers fall too.

Retention numbers pretty much will fall. I never thought id be fed up of D2 even BEFORE the PC version releases, and i totally am.

edit: and to be clear, its not because its not good, its because THERES FUCKING NOTHING LEFT TO DO!

BTW that is the reason I believe most publishers chose to launch PC at last.

I can understand that sometimes a PC version requires some additional time to make sure it's stable across a wide variety of configurations, but in Destinys case the beta was so polished that I think it's been finished for quite some time. Could have easily launched with the console versions!

If they were really smart about getting people to double dip, they would have allowed progress/character transfer between platforms.

Zee-Row

Banned
I was pretty bitter about the first game since the base game didn’t have much content. It kept me away from future installments.

Strakt

I can understand that sometimes a PC version requires some additional time to make sure it's stable across a wide variety of configurations, but in Destinys case the beta was so polished that I think it's been finished for quite some time. Could have easily launched with the console versions!

If they were really smart about getting people to double dip, they would have allowed progress/character transfer between platforms.

Could be bs but the PC director was tweeting they were still working on shipping the game in time for 10/24 about 2 weeks ago. Could of been this one maybe https://twitter.com/ShockAndShaw/status/913316789638983680

The beta did have problems though especially with the AA settings (One of them wasn''t working properly if i recall) and some other people had crashing issues.. also who knows if the rest of the game was complete.

ethomaz

Banned

Well I understand your point but most PC versions come years after the console release... just looks like publishers wants the double-dip.

I don’t understand why they can’t wait one or two months to release all version togheter... it looks like a business decision than technical.

I for the life of me can't understand why people still argue with Zhuge and Mat. You have two fantastic points of view giving valuable industry analysis and people just want to argue.

Frustrating

Could be bs but the PC director was tweeting they were still working on shipping the game in time for 10/24 about 2 weeks ago. The beta did have problems though especially with the AA settings (One of them wasn''t working properly if i recall) and some other people had crashing issues.. also who knows if the rest of the game was complete.

Ah, thats intetesting. Thanks for the info!

Well I understand your point but most PC versions come years after the console release... just looks like publishers wants the double-dip.

I don’t understand why they can’t wait one or two months to release all version togheter... it looks like a business decision than technical.

PC gamers are used to waiting because this has been common practice for years. At least it's becoming more common for a simultaneous launch these days, and lots of typically console exclusive titles have been finding great success on PC.

But yeah... Launch dates are absolutely business decisions most of the time.

I for the life of me can't understand why people still argue with Zhuge and Mat. You have two fantastic points of view giving valuable industry analysis and people just want to argue.

Frustrating

It's probably for the same reason that they make a point to talk about how they disagree with something like this article?

Since when is it not okay to voice disagreement with somebody? Isn't that exactly what Zhuge is doing with those tweets that were linked?

ethomaz

Banned

Frustrating
So somebody says something that is not right and you need to shut up and accept...

Ok.

Disagreeing is one thing but people are often outright rude / refuse to listen to valid analysis while bringing up frankly poor or uneducated opinions against it.

People should do a lot more listening and less throwing out random perspectives without a ton put into it. I've disagreed with both Mat and Zhuge on certain sales opinions in the past but I also listen closely to what they say / think because its one of the best perspectives you are going to get

So somebody says something that is not right and you need to shut up and accept...

Ok.

What did I say that wasn't right?

It's probably for the same reason that they make a point to talk about how they disagree with something like this article?

Since when is it not okay to voice disagreement with somebody? Isn't that exactly what Zhuge is doing with those tweets that were linked?

What does this even mean?

I've disagreed with both Mat and Zhuge on certain sales opinions in the past

Which I appreciate and why I hang out here so thanks!

Fdkn

Disagreeing is one thing but people are often outright rude / refuse to listen to valid analysis while bringing up frankly poor or uneducated opinions against it.

People should do a lot more listening and less throwing out random perspectives without a ton put into it. I've disagreed with both Mat and Zhuge on certain sales opinions in the past but I also listen closely to what they say / think because its one of the best perspectives you are going to get

the thread went exactly as you predicted so we can only wait until next week for the hot takes to disappear

ethomaz

Banned
What?

Did I have a stroke? Why is nothing making sense??
It is not hard, is it?

- Somebody shared something on tweet it is not right.
- I called the bullshit.
- You came right way trying to defense a false info.
- I said it was wrong.
- You used * to say it is right lol
- I didn’t even give a shit after that.

The tweet continues to be false and I didn’t even was talking about you.

Unless you are the owner of the twitter’s account... that could be crazy mind blowing.

What does this even mean?

It essentially boils down to "people argue because they disagree." Acting like the opinions of you, me or anyone else are not open to criticism and question is just kind of weird. SO when I see "I don't get why people argue with these guys," I pushed back because that's literally how differences of opinions work.

I disagree with some of the stuff Zhuge has said because I think he's extrapolating the statistic to suggest something the statistic itself isn't actually suggesting. In turn he calls it "useless" and cites a CCU number that isn't relevant at all to the statistic at hand.

The statistic at hand is suggesting that in the United States, the game sold far less physical copies than the first game did. That statistic is not saying Destiny 2 is not a successful game by any metric.

I haven't responded to anything you've said so my criticism isn't directed towards you.

I personally think the game did fine but not better than D1 because I imagine they'd brag about sales if it had and I haven't heard a peep about sales other than this.

To me, discounting what is no doubt a huge percentage digitally and the fact that some are waiting for PC is silly. I am NOT saying I think with those added sales it was at D1 sales levels. I am saying it will (imo) make up a big chunk of those "missing" sales. I think the problem there is there wasn't any growth.

Honestly if For Honor was at 52% at one point I wouldn't be surprised if D2 hit 55% digital. Maybe it's just me but I've always thought buying a game like this physically is just going to cause headaches down the road unless you're on the fence or something. I bought D1 physical at first and it got very annoying so I rebought the entire thing digitally. I'll always buy games like this digitally probably from now on.

Also, haters gonna hate.

-hadouken

Unsurprising. Destiny 1 was adored by a vocal, addicted minority. The vast majority saw the game for what it was - and are now voting with their wallets. Got to love it when karma does its thing.

Strakt

Unsurprising. Destiny 1 was adored by a vocal, addicted minority. The vast majority saw the game for what it was - and are now voting with their wallets. Got to love it when karma does its thing.

Karma? Its a video game homie; people who enjoy destiny will buy it, people who don't won't. Some people are acting like every multiplayer game nowadays reaches 1.3 million concurrent users. Its an impressive feat. regardless of how many copies it sold.

ethomaz

Banned
I’m not sure if that minority is minority.

50/50 makes it even... on retail... digital is bigger and that it is not a question... that makes your minority the majority.

D2 is still big.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Yeah, you have absolutely no idea what you're taking about.

It is not hard, is it?

- Somebody shared something on tweet it is not right.
- I called the bullshit.
- You came right way trying to defense a false info.
- I said it was wrong.
- You used * to say it is right lol
- I didn’t even give a shit after that.

The tweet continues to be false and I didn’t even was talking about you.

Unless you are the owner of the twitter’s account... that could be crazy mind blowing.

Where I said in this thread that you said something wrong lol

Is this an elaborate prank? I feel like I'm either being trolled or I'm staring into the maws of madness

It's not that interesting. He calls the report "pointless" despite the report literally comparing apples to apples. The game sold less physical copies compared to the first game. That's all the statistic is. Now, there are other reasons to explain why that may happen, but that's not the point of this statistic and to call it "pointless" and cite CCU and the apparent success of the game is kind of a joke. The game selling less than the original game theoretically could still have a large CCU, so there's nothing that the CCU number is actually refuting. The game could still be "successful" and sell less physical copies than the last game. The report itself is not making the statement that the game overall is selling less, yet he seems to address it like it is.

GAF always have anxiety complex whenever digital is doing well. That's all there is to it.

Destiny 2 is exactly the kind of game you should wait a year to buy. It'll be on deep discount with tons of patches and twice as much content.

gatti-man

D2 is still a smash success, just less than D1 was at this point. Not sure karma is doing what you want at this point.
Destiny 2 is exactly the kind of game you should wait a year to buy. It'll be on deep discount with tons of patches and twice as much content.

Actually it stays at $60 and they just throw in the DLCs. Idk I prefer to experience content as new rather than save $30 especially on the raids.

Kyoufu

No. I wish people would stop saying this.

In a year, current Destiny content will be obsolete and everyone will be playing the next major expansion's content.

GAF always have anxiety complex whenever digital is doing well. That's all there is to it.

I've just never been a huge fan of "This statistic doesn't fit what I find valuable so therefore it is useless," especially when the statistic is not necessarily trying to push against what that person finds valuable.

Renekton

In the Steam-related threads, it was oft-mentioned that late PC ports usually sell far less for lower price, compared to near-simultaneous release.

Not counting remasters though.

Zemm

Obviously PC and digital will brighten the outlook, but yeah, people have more than enough shit to sink their time & money into. Dont be surprised to see retention numbers drop compared to D1 too.

Some people will say 'these games aren't like destiny' but it doesn't matter, there's only so much free time in a day and people don't stop playing overwatch or rocket league to play destiny because it's their loot fps time. People play what they have fun with. It's why some good multiplayer games fail, people are entrenched in their current multiplayer game long term. I expect destiny to do OK on PC but I don't think it'll be close to console numbers especially now the hype has died down considerably.

Strakt

Means a lot actually. Twitch is a great a barometer.

Not really; there are tons of popular games that don't get a lot of viewers. A game could be popular but boring to watch yet fun to play. Not saying destiny doesn't have its problems, but twitch viewers are the last stat I would look at when determining the popularity of a game. Not to mention destiny is usually up there when the top streamers are on (Top 10), and once again PC has yet to release, so we'll see it in the top 2-3 on the 24th. WoW is still popular as hell, but doesn't get an insane amount of twitch viewers.. same with FFXIV.. and a bunch of other games.

Twitch counts will go up again on the 24th to top 3.. Doesn't mean much really

That seems....high. I don't think it will get that high, especially for any meaningful amount of time.

PC is the smallest userbase. What makes you think that the game will suddenly catch on in regards to Twitch when it hasn't caught on the what is likely the majority of the people playing the game already?

Redshirt

Banned
Not really; there are tons of popular games that don't get a lot of viewers. A game could be popular but boring to watch yet fun to play. Not saying destiny doesn't have its problems, but twitch viewers are the last stat I would look at when determining the popularity of a game. Not to mention destiny is usually up there when the top streamers are on (Top 10), and once again PC has yet to release, so we'll see it in the top 2-3 on the 24th. WoW is still popular as hell, but doesn't get an insane amount of twitch viewers.. same with FFXIV.. and a bunch of other games.

But Destiny 1 is a game that did get a lot of viewers.

And yeah, we'll see what Destiny looks like on the 24th. Better yet, we'll see what it looks like on the 31st.

You can't tell me you think the drop-off is due to the PC version.

Top Bottom