• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

joecanada

They didn't because it can't be. Which is where it has me scratching my head. They balance around PvP, they lower the player count, they introduce a playlist called "competitive", and yet there's nothing competitive about any of it. No dedicated servers, no ranked play, 30fps, no custom games, only 2 playlists...the list goes on. Sorry, I'm on a bit of a Destiny 2 rant with these threads popping up today, but gahhh. I wanted the PvP to be good so badly because I saw such potential with the first game. I expect that they'll make some improvements pretty fast, but I really don't want to feel like I'm testing a Beta, they should have done things that they didn't do and it bugs me, especially with the budget they had.

You're right on but I don't know why you expected them to fix this stuff... D1 was terrible for performance too. Dropping the player count is actually worse because for arcadey shooters like this a big free for all is half the fun ... 4v4 in this setup ? Nah.

Imagine battlefront 8v8 or 4v4 total borefest.

No idea if that actually has anything to do with sales, but...

Is the PvP even really a big focus?

As a casual observer, I hear almost NOTHING about PvP in Destiny, compared to the raids and such.

PvP for shooters seems to be firmly in the PUBG, Overwatch, and/or CS:GO camps.

In my opinion, PvP balance is at the very least partially why the Destiny 2 guns are so bland in terms of variety.

Lgndryhr

I'm not shocked. This release was 2 less console platforms and some people were burned by vanilla Destiny 1. On top of more people go digital now and some are waiting on PC release.

AHA-Lambda

It's just not a surprising result frankly.

As big as the Destiny fanbase certainly is, this is a Watch Dogs 2 situation again. Count me as another that bought vanilla Destiny 1, hated it, and never went back.

As an aside, here is yet another example of the UK market being an indicator of AAA trends, and yet people always brush it off as "yeah but the UK market is shit". Just saying.
Also, right as rain, despite numerous threads in the past, we continue to get the "but digital" excuse which would never make up this shortfall.

Bought Destiny 1 retail. Bought Destiny 2 digital.

Same as every single person I know that bought both.

Sounds about right anyway. Sales probably down 30 odd %. Plenty people felt burnt by the first, people migrating to pc, way more competition, no last gen versions.

That offset by way more current gen owners.

Jawmuncher

As big as the Destiny fanbase certainly is, this is a Watch Dogs 2 situation again. Count me as another that bought vanilla Destiny 1, hated it, and never went back.

As an aside, here is yet another example of the UK market being an indicator of AAA trends, and yet people always brush it off as "yeah but the UK market is shit". Just saying.

Yeah thus far the UK is basically sneak peeks at the NPD.

Gator86

It's also fun watching some of the downplaying. Even if destiny 2 sold as much as destiny 1 I'm sure Activision wouldn't be too happy with that, most other games and that would be called a disappointment.

Yeah, companies want endless, high percentage growth from their big franchises, regardless of whether that's a sane thing to expect. I doubt Acti is happy, especially given they left Bungie delay the game a year.

Hope they're enjoying that shader money.

120v

destiny 1 was pushed as GOAT x 1000^infinity with an absurd dollar amount marketing campaign.

wait til PC launches and credible digital + retail aggregate numbers become somewhat discernable . until then comparisons are asinine

I expect a lot of people wanted to see if the first Destiny was for them

This looking like more of the same means the people who decided it wasn't for them didn't come back

destiny 1 was pushed as GOAT x 1000^infinity with an absurd dollar amount marketing campaign.

wait til PC launches and credible digital + retail aggregate numbers become somewhat discernable . until then comparisons are asinine

Not really. PC numbers are historically smaller in terms of sales when it comes to games available on all consoles.

Also, the base game wasn't on PC, so I'm not sure why we would need to wait to draw any sort of comparisons.

BigAl1992

Also, right as rain, despite numerous threads in the past, we continue to get the "but digital" excuse which would never make up this shortfall.

Same for me as well; bought the original, got burnt by the grind and lack of new content coming out for the game and never went back to the game ever again. Not only that, but Warframe, a free to play game where spending money is completely optional, just released the Plains of Eidolon update which looks fucking huge for that game and has me excited for its release on PS4 soon, so why would I want to spend money on Destiny 2 then when I can wrap all my hours on that instead?

I bought it digital this time, because my local GS wouldn't release at launch.

I know a lot of peeps are waiting for PC. No last gen sales.

Still, probably not what you want to hear. Too bad, because the sequel is much more superb than original vanilla.

Seemed like there was zero excitement for it this time. Nobody I know was even aware it was releasing. I'm curious if the core PC crowd will still show up after all the muted reactions to the game since the console launch. Not launching at the same time seems like it was a real missed opportunity with how much they kept quiet about the game.

I left vanilla Destiny feeling pretty burned. Bought the complete edition on sale last Christmas during a sale and felt like it was a great value.

I just don't trust Bungie to deliver a great game at launch anymore. I'll buy D2 once there is a complete edition in another 2 years. Sucks to miss out on the excitement of being there early on though.

Don't know why anyone is acting like digital will make a difference. Didn't the original have like 30% digital ratio? Destiny 3 would practically need to have sold more digitally than physically to out so the original. Sure the extra digital will bridge the gap somewhat but worldwide it's still going to be a big decline. That's with the xbone and PS4 userbase a being massively up since the original launched.

When you launch a huge franchise like this and spent this much money advertising and talking about a 10 year plan or whatever I'm pretty sure you're expecting growth not a big decline.

Having said all that the game will still be a massive success, just not as much as expected.

120v

Not really. PC numbers are historically smaller in terms of sales when it comes to games available on all consoles.

Also, the base game wasn't on PC, so I'm not sure why we would need to wait to draw any sort of comparisons.

PC won't "push it over the top" but it's about a quarter of the market in 2017. if you factor that, digital sales across all platforms, and a way lessened marketing expense i don't see bean counters at activision being too worried

jviggy43

I'd like to think this would be the fire under their ass to make D3 something special but I doubt it will. There's so much more room for this franchise to grow, and that's really the biggest disappointment to me.

Neoweee

I'm hugely against buying digital when a physical version is available for the same price, but any game that I am going to regularly play for multiplayer, with friends, and am unlikely to sell or won't have good resell value, is like the perfect case for Destiny. The market has changed since 2014, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see D2's sales higher on the back of massively increased digital.

hamchan

I can't see Destiny 2 digital sales bridging this retail sales gap + Destiny 1's own digital sales.

I'm guessing the people who were burned with the first game didn't return, especially in this year when there's so much competition.

Hero

Digital will make that gap smaller but I don't think it's going to be enough to make up the difference. Definitely feel like it was a combination of people feeling burnt by vanilla Destiny, the gaming landscape overall being more crowded (not to mention the FPS market and PUBG being the 'hotness' now), and just no reason to jump in day one.

I can't see Destiny 2 digital sales bridging this retail sales gap + Destiny 1's own digital sales.

I'm guessing the people who were burned with the first game didn't return, especially in this year when there's so much competition.

It doesn't make up the whole gap no. D1 still launched higher.

But D2 is doing much stronger than what you are seeing reflected in retail

Theorry

Some intresting stuff from ZhugeEX.

untitled56sjm.png

danielahmadzhugeextwiq3s24.png

That may be true....but why would there be a significant difference between d1 and d2 digital sales?

Everyone I know was physical with the first and digital with the second.

But there might be a bunch of people who were a bit burned with the first and did the opposite to make sure that they like it(though I haven't seen any).

jimboton

Most of my friends (and myself) went digital. Then again, we also went mostly digital for D1..

I feel like D2 has probably sold quite a bit less overall than the first game.

Destiny 2 marketing was like 'hey we fixed the problems of the first game and that's it!'. I could see why people didn't get as excited about that.

SirNinja

Destiny 1 was on four platforms, the userbase of two of which (PS360) preferred physical over digital quite a bit more than the current gen.

Destiny 2 is only out on just two of its three planned platforms so far, with all evidence pointing towards a far larger ratio of digital sales (makes sense for a game like this), and it's likely about to sell gangbusters on PC very soon.

After the raid, I just could not see the incentive to play anymore..

The game is pretty much an empty shell with false promises.

The Destiny haters on GAF never fail to amuse. It's always the same variant of "I played 100+ hours and now there's nothing to do, what an nothingburger this game turned out to be!".

An empty shell, really? After everything you've seen and done to get to and through that point? Guess D2 should've kept in all the bullshit endgame grinds from D1 that served no purpose but to artificially lengthen itself and disrespect the players' time.

Not that D2 doesn't also have its share of flaws - it definitely does - but I really like not having to roll hundreds of the same weapon to try to find the god roll...to name but one example.

Destiny 2 marketing was like 'hey we fixed the problems of the first game and that's it!'.

...That actually wasn't what any of the marketing said at all?

noshten

Having said all that the game will still be a massive success, just not as much as expected.

Still expecting it to be more profitable than Destiny 1, even with slightly less sales.
For one they didn't sink a massive amount of money into marketing and Activision/Bungie are now also monetizing far more aggressively than when it launched in 2014.

Jawmuncher

Some intresting stuff from ZhugeEX.

https://abload.de/img/untitled56sjm.png[MG]
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/danielahmadzhugeextwiq3s24.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That pretty much covers everything in this thread.

Sales down in Physical but Digital is a factor (Though not the be all end all of magically covering all those lost sales in retail).

The biggest gray space is just the GaaS aspect. Especially when between the Season Pass and numerous micro-transactions. That is really the biggest factor in games these days.
Stuff like SFV and DOA5 could be down on sales and make it up just thanks to sales of digital goods. Hell it's a big factor for SFV after it missed it's 2 million sale forecast and hasn't reached it even with digital included.

So Destiny 2 sales wise can be down. But thanks to the GaaS model. Either whales or people coming in late and buying digital goods can shape the landscape drastically.

Is the whole "wait for pc" said sarcastically or do people expect it to make up for the sales on consoles?
I'm genuinely asking. Are pc players really that wanting for Destiny 2?

Trace

Banned
Is the whole "wait for pc" said sarcastically or do people expect it to make up for the sales on consoles?
I'm genuinely asking. Are pc players really that wanting for Destiny 2?

Well I didn't buy it for PS4 even though I bought the original on PS4 and bought it on PC instead. So there's at least one sale.

ocean

Banned
Amount of people who got burned by vanilla > amount of people who didn’t buy D1 but jumped on D2

Totally unsurprising tbh. I was of course there day 1 but its a worse game than the first one is (my video game time is split roughly 50/50 between D1 and D2).

Merrill Lynch's estimate for Destiny 2 sales is up 60% versus Destiny 1 for its first calendar year.

Think about that.

Is that achievable with month one Destiny 2 physical sales down more than 50% versus Destiny 1, even under the assumption digital sales are up big?

Top Bottom