• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

Destiny was marketed as the rebirth of Halo. People were hyped because Halo has gone down in quality. Then it turned out that wasn't the case.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Merrill Lynch's estimate for Destiny 2 sales is up 60% versus Destiny 1 for its first calendar year.

Think about that.

Is that achievable with month one Destiny 2 physical sales down more than 50% versus Destiny 1, even under the assumption digital sales are up big?

For it's first calendar year.

ocean

Banned
Merrill Lynch's estimate for Destiny 2 sales is up 60% versus Destiny 1 for its first calendar year.

Think about that.

Is that achievable with month one Destiny 2 physical sales down more than 50% versus Destiny 1, even under the assumption digital sales are up big?
They’re probably banking hard on PC selling a ton. With negative feedback + delayed release, I doubt this estimate will be anywhere near the mark though.

The Destiny haters on GAF never fail to amuse. It's always the same variant of "I played 100+ hours and now there's nothing to do, what an nothingburger this game turned out to be!".

An empty shell, really? After everything you've seen and done to get to and through that point? Guess D2 should've kept in all the bullshit endgame grinds from D1 that served no purpose but to artificially lengthen itself and disrespect the players' time.

Not that D2 doesn't also have its share of flaws - it definitely does - but I really like not having to roll hundreds of the same weapon to try to find the god roll...to name but one example.

I don't like it when people complain about Destiny without reason, but if those people criticizing the lack of RNG really are into that sort of thing (min/maxing, RNG rolls exist all over the place in certain very popular RPGs), then it's hardly a false or poorly informed opinion. Those people could still very well want to love Destiny 2, but if they really cared about the RPG aspects, it really is kind of an empty shell compared to the first entry.

SlickVic

I'd be interested to see what digital sales are like. I usually buy games wherever I get the lowest price at the time, but Destiny is one of those series I prefer to buy digitally. I know it's something I'm going to play on and off for a few weeks/months when content updates become available over the next few years (until the next proper sequel is out). Over that time period it just becomes convenient not to be bound by having the disc around at all times. That's just my anecdotal experience, but curious how much of a rise digital sales saw.

120v

Is the whole "wait for pc" said sarcastically or do people expect it to make up for the sales on consoles?
I'm genuinely asking. Are pc players really that wanting for Destiny 2?

an incomplete checkbox on a major platform is a factor. regardless of mythologizing over what a "pc gamer" is. supposedly they just play dota and pubg, or something?

and that some people want to handwave digital is just... er, okay. its like saying nobody bought a certain movie in 1998 on dvd and three years out - we don't have the data yet - but VHS sales are way down. studio really dropped the ball on this one

Some intresting stuff from ZhugeEX.

untitled56sjm.png

danielahmadzhugeextwiq3s24.png

This sums it all up.

People like me saw the expansion pricing for the first game and have decided to wait for s GOTY edition or get it on Black Friday so getting the game and the season pass isn’t such a ripoff.

Plus, ingrams, end game, and loot box situations are off-putting. Might as well wait for about 3 more major patches and hope they fix all that before jumping in.

Rad-

I bet a lot of people expected Destiny 1 to be much better than it was (let's be honest, launch Destiny is by far Bungie's worst game), and because of that "burn" they didn't really even bother with Destiny 2. It's still going to sell well though.

Be sure to tune in to next week's full NPD results thread. Data and media release will happen Thursday afternoon.

Should be fun.

Looking forward to it Mat.

I would LOVE LOVE a Destiny 2 title specific total sales number [digital + physical] vs. Destiny 1 percent growth/decline number. :)

an incomplete checkbox on a major platform is a factor. regardless of mythologizing over what a "pc gamer" is. supposedly they just play dota and pubg, or something?

I mean, it's also probably the smallest platform the game will release on of the three platforms, by a pretty large margin.

I'm of the opinion that there probably aren't even half of the Xbox One's install base that could realistically run Destiny 2 on PC, at least not in the US.

PC launch will have an impact, but I think it will be relatively small compared to the other two consoles by a pretty large margin.

Some intresting stuff from ZhugeEX.

It's not that interesting. He calls the report "pointless" despite the report literally comparing apples to apples. The game sold less physical copies compared to the first game. That's all the statistic is. Now, there are other reasons to explain why that may happen, but that's not the point of this statistic and to call it "pointless" and cite CCU and the apparent success of the game is kind of a joke. The game selling less than the original game theoretically could still have a large CCU, so there's nothing that the CCU number is actually refuting. The game could still be "successful" and sell less physical copies than the last game. The report itself is not making the statement that the game overall is selling less, yet he seems to address it like it is.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wow really?

While I did like the feel of the gameplay in Destiny 1 (such as it was) it definitely was one of the games this gen that I felt pulled a fast one on me.

It was so horribly lacking in content at launch that I was done with that game before the first raid even dropped. And I got the Season Pass, too 😡

I figured they would be improving the gameplay this time around and my brief time with the PC beta convinced me to give this one a shot. But I can imagine many many players who felt as I did not making that plunge.

ethomaz

Banned
Yikes, but not entirely unexpected. Destiny 1 was literally No Man's Sky before No Man's Sky in terms of "this isn't the game I asked for", and most of the people who are buying Destiny 2 are people who enjoyed what they managed to mold the game into by the end of the DLC releases
Well if Destiny 2 was like Destiny 1 vanilla it should have more engagement... but it is a sequence of bad decisions started with TTK.

...That actually wasn't what any of the marketing said at all?
Well that's the narrative that was out there...

- more story! because Destiny 1 lacked story
- more variety! because Destiny 1 lacked variety
- guided matchmaking! because Destiny 1 lacked matchmaking.
etc etc.

They were filling holes and there are quality of life improvements but it is a lot less exciting than the first game 'FROM THE CREATORS OF HALO, A BRAND NEW MMO FPS... ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!'

And you don't need to convince me about Destiny, I love both games and am really impressed by Destiny 2 improvements.

What publicly traded company? lol

Destiny at peak beat this number easily.

So bullshit...

And of course Bungie never said something that didn’t happened.

Google ATVI.

Yes - That is the publicly traded company that made those statements. They can't mislead investors. They would be destroyed by the government for misleading investors...

Jawmuncher

Destiny was marketed as the rebirth of Halo. People were hyped because Halo has gone down in quality. Then it turned out that wasn't the case.

Some people might disagree with this. But I see that being the case for some.
Especially when it's essentially what IHE's stance is on the game on his youtube channel. Hell back before we knew what it was the assumption was basically it was going to be their multi-platform halo title in a sense.

ethomaz

Banned
Google ATVI.

Yes - That is the publicly traded company that made those statements. They can't mislead investors. They would be destroyed by the government for misleading investors...
They never said it is a record for the franchise... c’mon.

Anybody that believes that has no ideia how Destiny activity was way bigger than Destiny 2.

According to the blog post Bungie stated the 1.3 million player count, it was the record for Destiny 2 itself. Not the franchise. Im also doubtful that the 1.3 million is the franchise peak.

The CNBC article.

The quote directly from ATVI:

The original Destiny became the biggest new console video game franchise launch in history, and Destiny 2 surpassed the original's records for engagement and digital sales in launch week.

That's what Zhuge's tweet was talking about.

Destiny 2 was the first retail game I bought Digital on PS4. I got so tired of moving my disc 1 for the 18 months I played the first game. I'm sure I'm not alone.
Same. I knew it would be easier to just boot it up. I normally roll physical for everything but it makes no sense for Destiny.

120v

I mean, it's also probably the smallest platform the game will release on of the three platforms, by a pretty large margin.

I'm of the opinion that there probably aren't even half of the Xbox One's install base that could realistically run Destiny 2 on PC, at least not in the US.

PC launch will have an impact, but I think it will be relatively small compared to the other two consoles by a pretty large margin.

it's the smallest install base but still about 20% of the market *at minimum* if you average out AAA releases. there's simply no sense in making it a non factor even if it was a Lawbreakers-sized flop or whatever

and the game's min specs require a GPU you could buy half a decade ago. it's not like droves of people are walled off given the option of console vs pc

”Launch week"...

Even so they say engagement and digital sales... why left physical users left?

What?

No. CCU is not even close to be a record to the franchise.

They're talking in launch week. That's why it says "in launch week". So yes, it is a record for the franchise in the time period stated in black and white.

Once again you're arguing against a point that isn't being made.

mikelarry

People thinking PC would make up the numbers.... really doubt it. console is destiny bread and butter they even delayed it o PC by quite a while so there really isnt that mystery anymore or the rush for pc gamers to partake in the raid etc. I would love to be proven wrong but i doubt it will do well on PC

mcfrank

“Launch week”...

Even so they say engagement and digital sales... why left physical users left?

I’m pretty sure you know companies spin like that.

No. CCU is not even close to be a record to the franchise.

I say “what?”.., what are you trying to defense? Destiny had way more CCU at peak.

Every one else keeps giving you information and you keep repeating your feelings...

ethomaz

Banned
They're talking in launch week. That's why it says "in launch week". So yes, it is a record for the franchise in the time period stated in black and white.

Once again you're arguing against a point that isn't being made.
I believe you didn’t read his tweet.

Every one else keeps giving you information and you keep repeating your feelings...
Yeap like the *

* at launch week, engagement, digital.

the tweet continues being false info.

it's the smallest install base but still about 20% of the market *at minimum* if you average out AAA releases. there's simply no sense in making it a non factor even if it was a Lawbreakers-sized flop or whatever

and the game's min specs require a GPU you could buy half a decade ago. it's not like droves of people are walled off given the option of console vs pc

I did not say it would be a non-factor.

Top Bottom