• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: PlayStation 5 has highest launch month for a hardware platform in U.S. history.

M16

lol at all the insecure sony fanboys
we all know both companies sold what they can produce, and microsoft already said they began production later because their soc had newer tech in it.
if the situation was reversed, the same giddy fanboys would be on the defensive

v_iHuGi

Banned
Did you just say Sony is more profitable than MS? You sound like you really believe that but you’re misinformed.
If there’s one company’s financial well being to be worried about of the two it’s not MS. Sony better sell as many PlayStations as possible to keep existing.

Sony has 41B on Hand, just bought Crunchy for 1.2b & it's on a spending spree, also breaking profits records.

They'll be fine don't worry.

They sold everything they could ship.

This is no excuse, why would they stock their strongest, most important market with less units than they did for the XB1? Worldwide launch this time doesnt mean allocating stock outside of NA where it wont sell so I dont buy that either.

The reality is MS projected less sales than they did for XB1 so inventory numbers reflect that.

Jtibh

Banned
There is no easy fix for scalping. The only thing you could do is cumbersome "one per customer" rule which scalpers will overcome with a bit of extra work.
Have at least a priority customer list.
They asked us to sign up with our psn id to potentialy secure one unit.
But i bet 99% never heard back.

Stores could have had one per household preorder back in september with id is another. So stores only and no online.
Or at the very least have half of stock allocated to retail only so there is a chance to get one if you stand in line.

There are many options but i understand companies only care for sales and not how those sales occur

fallingdove

Have at least a priority customer list.
They asked us to sign up with our psn id to potentialy secure one unit.
But i bet 99% never heard back.

Stores could have had one per household preorder back in september with id is another. So stores only and no online.
Or at the very least have half of stock allocated to retail only so there is a chance to get one if you stand in line.

There are many options but i understand companies only care for sales and not how those sales occur
Stand in line during covid? Yeah, that sounds awesome.

Jtibh

Banned
Stand in line during covid? Yeah, that sounds awesome.
Oh really?? You want me to show u pics from all the line up at costco or best buy or any other store since store capacity is dropped to 15 percent or so?
You want me to show you pics from malls inside where people stand in line at every store or hell best example is apple store cuz of limited store capacity?

Edjucate yourself before you open your mouth

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Series X|S debuted lower than Xbone? Why!???

Oh yea... games

But it is sold out everywhere so it must be supply. Are you suggesting they made less because they had no games?

They probably made less because Xbone sold worse than the RLoD console. Also all the games are on PC so it is not even in consideration for a lot of gamers.

Dr Bass

But it is sold out everywhere so it must be supply. Are you suggesting they made less because they had no games?

They probably made less because Xbone sold worse than the RLoD console. Also all the games are on PC so it is not even in consideration for a lot of gamers.

Resale is also notably lower on series X. So, less supply, much lower resale price even with less inventory. Doesn't seem like great news for Xbox.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Oh really?? You want me to show u pics from all the line up at costco or best buy or any other store since store capacity is dropped to 15 percent or so?
You want me to show you pics from malls inside where people stand in line at every store or hell best example is apple store cuz of limited store capacity?

Edjucate yourself before you open your mouth
Says the person who spells educate with a ‘j’.

Sony and Microsoft aren’t behind people lining up for shit, but you are suggesting that these companies increase the exposure to covid by forcing additional inventory to be sold at physical locations? To stop what exactly? You think that scalpers wouldn’t hire people to stand in line the same way that they develop bots to do so in a digital space?

You think that scalpers wouldn’t hire people to stand in line the same way that they develop bots to do so in a digital space?
The barrier of entry to paying people to stand in line for hours to re-sell something at an higher price is much more important than hiring some guy to write some shopping scripts to buy thousands of whatever to resell them at an higher price... the scale is not the same!

That being said, I have two friends on my PSN list who were playing on PS5 earlier today, I don't think they got their machines from scalpers, it's just not their style (style meaning they don't have that much money).

Jtibh

Banned

Sony and Microsoft aren’t behind people lining up for shit, but you are suggesting that these companies increase the exposure to covid by forcing additional inventory to be sold at physical locations? To stop what exactly? You think that scalpers wouldn’t hire people to stand in line the same way that they develop bots to do so in a digital space?
So you say all these other retails have no problem lining people up??
You know apple best buy sportcheck etc etc ?

Unknown?

For France best launch console :

• PS5 : 107K
  • Switch : 105K
  • Wii : 95K
  • PS4 : 90K
  • PS3 : 78K
  • PS2 : 63K
  • Xbox One : 50K
  • 360 : 49K
  • Xbox Series X/S : 37K

Holy crap even worse than X1 and that's with two consoles not just one. But as said before no momentum behind X1 whereas there was some with 360.

Fake

And this is for France.

In France the XS X|S is also selling less at launch than both the Xbox One and X360. A tiny bit less though. Whereas the PS5 is the best selling Playstation console launch in France's history.

This is fantastic news for me. People really embrace the physical media. I really happy about that.

Jtibh

Banned

Still waiting for an answer as of why you say sony and microsoft are not wanting to expose people to covid by lining up but you dont complain about every other retailer lining people up in malls and strip malls.

Cuz again anywhere you go due to limited capacity people are in lines all day long

fallingdove

Still waiting for an answer as of why you say sony and microsoft are not wanting to expose people to covid by lining up but you dont complain about every other retailer lining people up in malls and strip malls.

Cuz again anywhere you go due to limited capacity people are in lines all day long
I could have sworn we were talking about console scarcity not somebody lining up at Bed Bath and Beyond for a discounted waffle iron.

I am against making a global pandemic worse by forcing additional inventory to be sold at physical locations. Seems like my position on the matter is pretty straightforward.

It sucks that you or someone you know are going to have to wait a couple months or cough up some extra cash for one of these consoles.

base

Banned
Heh knew it. I was more than sure that the higher price wouldn't matter. 100 dollars more make a difference to get better hardware. Sometimes it's night and day. Plus we get bluray player.

What pc would you get for 500 dollars? Consoles rule.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is no excuse, why would they stock their strongest, most important market with less units than they did for the XB1? Worldwide launch this time doesnt mean allocating stock outside of NA where it wont sell so I dont buy that either.

The reality is MS projected less sales than they did for XB1 so inventory numbers reflect that.

Do not bring logic into this, please.

lol at all the insecure sony fanboys
we all know both companies sold what they can produce, and microsoft already said they began production later because their soc had newer tech in it.
if the situation was reversed, the same giddy fanboys would be on the defensive
Waiting on that RDNA2 secret sauce. Came from the king's mouth directly. Xbox still counting those votes.

That waiting for later tech is an excuse. And it makes MS look incompetent, seeing how the Pro got Vega tech about 6 months before Vega launched.

MS had to wait for current AMD tech, that launched this year....and Cerny didn't?

At some point, ppl have to stop falling for pr, spin. Remember github? Series X had RT and VRS. So what RDNA 2 tech was MS waiting for.....?

Can't be the VA, can't be RT, can't be VRS. SFS?

Was supply of the XSX and XSS less than the PS5? How is that even possible??

I don't get it either.

In our supply chain, we feel good about the hardware side. Feels like we'll be able to get enough units. And you know, we're pretty committed, as we've talked about to a worldwide launch, which regretfully, we didn't do with Xbox One. You remember watching that from Nintendo campus. It took us months and months to hit some of the incredibly important markets and worldwide launch is important to us.

Sounds like back then they didn't expect any supply issues even with Covid-19 being a problem. Maybe it was in relation to the demand that they were expecting?

Last edited:
I don't get it either.

Sounds like back then they didn't expect any supply issues even with Covid-19 being a problem. Maybe it was in relation to the demand that they were expecting?

That makes this even more confusing.

Especially considering how much money Microsoft has. Unless I'm wrong they have to own some fabs too as they produce the Surface line of products and other hardware.

I can't imagine they'd be out of the loop on parts availability. If there was some huge supply issue you'd think they'd let people know before release to temper sales expectations, too.

Gamerguy84

Sorry haven't read the whole thread but why is this?

If all stock is sold in US does that just mean xbox produced less? I know they had 2 skus but so did Sony.

Jtibh

Banned
I could have sworn we were talking about console scarcity not somebody lining up at Bed Bath and Beyond for a discounted waffle iron.

I am against making a global pandemic worse by forcing additional inventory to be sold at physical locations. Seems like my position on the matter is pretty straightforward.

It sucks that you or someone you know are going to have to wait a couple months or cough up some extra cash for one of these consoles.
The point i was making was that standing in line is no issue for most as you can tell by going around a bit.
Line ups is what you will deal with for months to come.

Your argument was if i understood correctly is that noir sony or microsoft wanted to expose people to the virus so they opted for online sales by large. Or so you wanted to make me look like an idiot for even suggesting that idea.

But on scarcity...yes sony made millions of users sign up with psn id for a chance to secure one ps5 but i bet maybe 10 people got it. All while extracting data from users and sign them up for adds through the back door.
Shady no?

I cant talk about microsoft bit to me sony fucked up and they knew all along what will happen they just didnt give a shit to stop it.

And dont get me started on this pandemic bullshit when a simple coca cola put on a covid test gives a positive result as demonstrated in austria proving just how faulty and worthless those tests really are.

Hey no bad blood here against you just yes maybe pissed i cant get no ps5 so i give you that.

Yoboman

Was supply of the XSX and XSS less than the PS5? How is that even possible??

I'm a PS fan but I don't want to see Xbox fail, damn.
Of course it was

You expect retailers would order more Xbox units than PS? Xbox would be operating to a lower expected sell through rate than Playstation

Xbox has had years now of bad hardware sales, even if Series X proves popular they aren't going to stuff the supply channels at launch and potentially end up with the bad image of consoles sitting on shelves

Of course it was

You expect retailers would order more Xbox units than PS? Xbox would be operating to a lower expected sell through rate than Playstation

Xbox has had years now of bad hardware sales, even if Series X proves popular they aren't going to stuff the supply channels at launch and potentially end up with the bad image of consoles sitting on shelves

So you're thinking they artificially limited supply, or retailers just didn't want as many on their shelves as PS5 and MS knew it?

The first is logical if they were hesitant to have the "PS5 is sold out and Xbox isn't" image, but even then they'd theoretically be selling more consoles because there's no PS5s available (for fence sitters, at least).

Yoboman

So you're thinking they artificially limited supply, or retailers just didn't want as many on their shelves as PS5 and MS knew it?

The first is logical if they were hesitant to have the "PS5 is sold out and Xbox isn't" image, but even then they'd theoretically be selling more consoles because there's no PS5s available (for fence sitters, at least).
No its not like they are sitting in a warehouse, they just never projected to sell as many as PS so were always operating at lower numbers.

I expect they do projections on what they can manufacture and sell during particular phases of a console life cycle, based on their historical data and internal sales projections. Manufacturing capabilities play a role too. You can only make so many, and the consoles made for launch period are the least profitable

So in the end its a matter of how many they can expect to make and actually sell, and not over supplying channels. Which means that recent poor Xbox hardware sales may have resulted in a situation where MS were more conservative in their production than needed

No its not like they are sitting in a warehouse, they just never projected to sell as many as PS so were always operating at lower numbers.

I expect they do projections on what they can manufacture and sell during particular phases of a console life cycle, based on their historical data and internal sales projections. Manufacturing capabilities play a role too. You can only make so many, and the consoles made for launch period are the least profitable

So in the end its a matter of how many they can expect to make and actually sell, and not over supplying channels. Which means that recent poor Xbox hardware sales may have resulted in a situation where MS were more conservative in their production than needed

That seems logical. I imagined MS would want to flood people with marketing and make sure supply was generous, but that scenario could also be the case.

fallingdove

The point i was making was that standing in line is no issue for most as you can tell by going around a bit.
Line ups is what you will deal with for months to come.

Your argument was if i understood correctly is that noir sony or microsoft wanted to expose people to the virus so they opted for online sales by large. Or so you wanted to make me look like an idiot for even suggesting that idea.

But on scarcity...yes sony made millions of users sign up with psn id for a chance to secure one ps5 but i bet maybe 10 people got it. All while extracting data from users and sign them up for adds through the back door.
Shady no?

I cant talk about microsoft bit to me sony fucked up and they knew all along what will happen they just didnt give a shit to stop it.

And dont get me started on this pandemic bullshit when a simple coca cola put on a covid test gives a positive result as demonstrated in austria proving just how faulty and worthless those tests really are.

Hey no bad blood here against you just yes maybe pissed i cant get no ps5 so i give you that.
I get it. Historically, console launches have been far from ideal. (Well, maybe Stadia had enough supply to meet demand) That doesn’t mean that manufactures shouldn’t continue looking for ways to solve for the situation.

Good luck in your search.

That makes this even more confusing.

Especially considering how much money Microsoft has. Unless I'm wrong they have to own some fabs too as they produce the Surface line of products and other hardware.

I can't imagine they'd be out of the loop on parts availability. If there was some huge supply issue you'd think they'd let people know before release to temper sales expectations, too.

With Series X and Series S I wasn't expecting them to outsell the PS5 but to at least get close. These results seem kind of weird to me to be honest.

So many fanboys refusing to read between the lines of the Xbox sales. Common sense isn't common these days, I see.

It's the slice of GAF known as SonyGAF for a reason, what do you expect? They give the impression of either being employed as Sony surrogates or, more pathetically, sitting around circle jerking to a candle-lit Playstation shrine just for the hell of it without getting paid. 🤦‍♂️😅

Reality doesn't factor in for the warriorz. You just have to interact with these people like you would your retarded little cousin. Pat them on the head and smile.

I'm excited to see PS5 and Switch doing this well, both largely as a function of supply meeting demand (demand that has been curated by strong brands with exclusive titles over a number of preceding years).

There are multiple factors at play here for Xbox, some of which are perhaps the weaker launch lineup but mostly a (perhaps overly) cautious calculation on the part of MS to not over produce combined with launching in 3 times the countries that they launched XB1...combined with a change in philosophy to push GamePass perhaps more than they push break-even hardware.

The Xbox group knows they have a winner in GamePass and it makes sense to push that as pure profit on multiple platforms rather than flood the market with hardware which doesn't make them any money. This may have been some of the calculation of not producing more units as well.

Or...it could simply be that MS leadership was overly cautious about production numbers and/or the fact that MS paid more heed to the changed reality of Coronavirus whereas Sony and Nintendo decided to balls to the wall regardless of the pandemic and its inherent risks.

GHG

It's the slice of GAF known as SonyGAF for a reason, what do you expect? They give the impression of either being employed as Sony surrogates or, more pathetically, sitting around circle jerking to a candle-lit Playstation shrine just for the hell of it without getting paid. 🤦‍♂️😅

Reality doesn't factor in for the warriorz. You just have to interact with these people like you would your retarded little cousin. Pat them on the head and smile.

I'm excited to see PS5 and Switch doing this well, both largely as a function of supply meeting demand (demand that has been curated by strong brands with exclusive titles over a number of preceding years).

There are multiple factors at play here for Xbox, some of which are perhaps the weaker launch lineup but mostly a (perhaps overly) cautious calculation on the part of MS to not over produce combined with launching in 3 times the countries that they launched XB1...combined with a change in philosophy to push GamePass perhaps more than they push break-even hardware.

The Xbox group knows they have a winner in GamePass and it makes sense to push that as pure profit on multiple platforms rather than flood the market with hardware which doesn't make them any money. This may have been some of the calculation of not producing more units as well.

Or...it could simply be that MS leadership was overly cautious about production numbers and/or the fact that MS paid more heed to the changed reality of Coronavirus whereas Sony and Nintendo decided to balls to the wall regardless of the pandemic and its inherent risks.

Accuses others of being surrogates...

Proceeds to then behave like a surrogate and make a ton of excuses for Xbox's poor launch numbers.

Makes sense.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This exact thing happened in 2013 with ps4.
Back then scalpers bought a lot of them up but retail didnt go mostly online plus amazon wasnt as big as well.
You would think they learned from that experience and would have come out with a fixed price.
Again i use miele as an example as no matter where you go price is set . You cant sell it for more you cant sell it for less. You buy over 4 items you get 10% discount.

If they would have done the same ,scalpers wouldnt even try to buy them all up.

The market changed . All sales are online.
Retail doesnt even order stock.
In 2013 retail was holding most if not all stock.
So by design ,if all sales are online hackers and bots will buy up everything .
And sony and microsoft knew this from day one.

In my books they just dont care.

Scalping isn't to anywhere near the scale you think it is. They sold over 1.1 million PS5's in the USA alone... wrap that number around your head a little bit.

A very high estimate for the number scalped would be 200k. It's probably more like ~150k or less, or roughly 10%.

Is it bigger because of online sales? Probably. Is it so big it's worth it for stores to implement bot protections? No.. this problem exists for a tiny tiny fraction of what they sell.

And newsflash, scalped consoles do not represent what the average person is willing to pay for them. Either way, why are you asking for 100% of people to be punished with a higher price rather than the much smaller percentage of people who just can't wait out an initial product rush? These issues are always temporary, the PS5 is not a limited edition item.. this will pass.

I managed to buy 2 for myself.. wasn't even that hard. There have been multiple restocks. It's scarce right now but there will be more drops too, and it's not all bots buying them.

Accuses others of being surrogates...

Proceeds to then behave like a surrogate and make a ton of excuses for Xbox's poor launch numbers.

Makes sense.

My post is not meant to be constituted of excuses, its called using ones brain to understand that in any situation there are usually numerous reasons in any cause/effect relationship. I realize you have a history of sometimes being an obtuse asshat, but I also know you're smart enough to know this is true. All you've done here is beclown yourself by trying to point out a false equivalency. It IS possible to enjoy all platforms and acknowledge reality without fellating one vs the other. Try it sometime. :)

Last edited:

GHG

My post is not meant to be constututed of excuses, its called using ones brain to understand that in any situation there are usually numerous reasons in any cause/effect relationship. I realize you have a history of sometimes being an obtuse asshat, but I also know you're smart enough to know this is true. All you've done here is beclown yourself by trying to point out a false equivalency. It IS possible to enjoy all platforms and acknowledge reality without fellating one vs the other. Try it sometime. :)

bagdad-bob.jpg

sircaw

Banned
Not angry at all. Bemused is much closer. ;) I'm sitting here playing on my PS5 as an "Xbox surrogate". lmao Like I said before, you can't have a rational convo with SonyGAF. Its a bizarre cult.

Well i am not sure using words like retarded little cousin, beclown and obtuse asshate are going to win you "lets meet at the pub for a quizz night scenario situations"

Just saying

Well i am not sure using words like retarded little cousin, beclown and obtuse asshate are going to win you "lets meet at the pub for a quizz night scenario situations"

Just saying

I get that but I think it should be pretty obvious I've had lost patience with the circle jerk nonsense in here. Rooting for any of the platforms to fail is self destructive idiocy and much of SonyGAF has degenerated to the "its not enough I should succeed, but the other should fail" territory with all the inherent willful ignorance this entails.

You guys are easily impressed. Impressed by a console without any big games and then impressed by there being others buying a console without any big games
You have all these dummys mocking a console thats sold out and I'm who you quote? The PS5 is selling out and doesnt have anything either. For those of us who dont care about S[oderman, you sony fans are alway overplaying your hand thats why the Bethesda deal put you on your backs.

Top Bottom