• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were discussing the PR, and how MS uses it, compared to Sony/Nintendo you came in accusing people of being up in arms who simpy were not... We are allowed to are we not? If so what's the big deal? Irony is no one is upset except you.

...And I added to the discussion saying that of course MS is going to spin. You have told me to ignore your posts, falsely claimed that I'm saying people are up in arms when in reality I only applied that to you, and have now accused me of being upset when that is not the case. I don't even own any Microsoft products. If you want to have a productive conversation regarding why Microsoft employees are promoting the last 6 months instead of YOY growth then we can do that. I don't really wish to get into a thread derailing personal argument with you which is where this seems to be headed.

Sony's PR is boring, I mean if they want they can really put it to MS, but they rarely even comment anymore.

I honestly think Sony is actually bored of winning all of the time.
Its like they know they are the world wide leader and that MS will never catch up. So for PR they just say "why bother"

...And I added to the discussion saying that of course MS is going to spin. You have told me to ignore your posts, falsely claimed that I'm saying people are up in arms when in reality I only applied that to you, and have now accused me of being upset when that is not the case. If you want to have a productive conversation regarding why Microsoft employees are promoting the last 6 months instead of YOY growth then we can do that. I don't really wish to get into a thread derailing personal argument with you which is where this seems to be headed.

You started off by accusing me of being up in arms, which is totally false....not a good way to engage a person no? How do you expect people to react when that's how you engage them?

N.Domixis

Banned
Listen you cant just choose your own dates to make yourself feel better, either you say the whole year or you say the month that you won in. You dont came out and say "hey for the last 6 months" no thats not the way it works. No one does that but MS.

Thats why people are laughing at them. No one is mad at them everyone is laughing at them. they take the L and still try to find a way to spin it. Just stay with your MUA's,

Its like sony coming out and stating they have won insert# won months here/insert total# months here if they had lost.

MarveI

Every time I see a MS PR it reminds me of this Chris Rock gif

oAbWqen.gif

You started off by accusing me of being up in arms, which is totally false....not a good way to engage a person no? How do you expect people to react when that's how you engage them?

If it's false then why do you keep harping on it? I'm sorry if you got offended by an innocuous comment but it truly wasn't meant to be hurtful or malicious. I guess it is hard to convey tone over the internet. And I'm not saying this sarcastically, I'm actually apologizing for my choice of words.

I'm going to bow out of the thread because this is just derailment at this point and I'm really not trying to get into a personal argument with you over PR speak. Have a good night.

If it's false then why do you keep harping on it? I'm sorry if you got offended by an innocuous comment but it truly wasn't meant to be hurtful or malicious. I guess it is hard to convey tone over the internet. And I'm not saying this sarcastically, I'm actually apologizing for my choice of words.

I'm going to bow out of the thread because this is just derailment at this point and I'm really not trying to get into a personal argument with you over PR speak. Have a good night.

I never said it was false lol...welcome to ignore.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Second, are they lying when they say they outsold Sony over the second half of the year? If they are then I could see why all the critical posts are coming out. But it seems to me (correct me if I am wrong please) that people are upset Microsoft is "spinning" a story just because A) Sony won December, and B) Playstation outsold Xbox in 2016. It's like they expect a public relations department to speak straight facts instead of half truths which makes me scratch my head because this isn't anything new.

I think it's because MS has a history of doing this. It's been one spin after another -- "most hours spent killing zombies," all the MAU-based stats, etc. And plus, it's been in the context of refusing to disclose any actual (global) sales figures. So, they've developed a reputation now for being non-transparent and manipulative with their numbers.

However, I don't think the current 'spin' is all that bad. It's actually pretty reasonable to say that, since the Xbox One S released -- a console they're justifiably proud of, and which has regained them some momentum -- they're ahead in sales, at least in NPD. It's not as arbitary or desperate as some people are making it sound.

jjonez18

All I know is I picked the right home console to win Dec, lol.

I knew Decmber is always greater than November, but not like this. Also expected PS4 Pro to collapse (combination of low stock, higher priced, and disinterest) giving way to a slim (pun) XB1 win.

I'm chalking it up to Final Fantasy and The Last Guardian. The wait fermented, turned to pure 100% hype, then was consumed by the millions.

MS has had plenty of ugly spins before. This is pretty normal PR, really.

Of course they'll highlight their area of success even if it means defining a window around it. So long as it's not misleading in a very deceptive way.

Ricky_R

MS has had plenty of ugly spins before. This is pretty normal PR, really.

Of course they'll highlight their area of success even if it means defining a window around it. So long as it's not misleading in a very deceptive way.

It's just misleading in a sad, but funny way. Fanboys eat it up though and that's pretty much the goal.

I can bet that with Scorpio coming out in Nov. Sony will still outsell the xbox. the marketing deals for Red Dead, Destiny, Star Wars, Call of Duty and Ps4 slim being at $199, and $299 for the pro will destroy a $499 or even $399 Xbox Scorpio. Somebody save this post.

dlauv

1 SKU vs 2 SKU

I mean, it's kind of obvious, isn't it? Sony is attacking two markets and MS is attacking one and a half. The sales should logically reflect that. If Sony outsold MS 2:1, I'd be a little surprised.

N.Domixis

Banned
I can bet that with Scorpio coming out in Nov. Sony will still outsell the xbox. the marketing deals for Red Dead, Destiny, Star Wars, Call of Duty and Ps4 slim being at $199, and $299 for the pro will destroy a $499 or even $399 Xbox Scorpio. Somebody save this post.

Saved, I don't know. Just like pro made ps4 the default winner so will switch and sorpio.

1 SKU vs 2 SKU

I mean, it's kind of obvious, isn't it? Sony is attacking two markets and MS is attacking one and a half. The sales should logically reflect that. If Sony outsold MS 2:1, I'd be a little surprised.

Not really?

I mean, a hardware refresh is always going to see a spur in sales, but you're still essentially targeting one market. There's not really a whole audience of people out there who had no interest in the PS4, but bought the Pro.

Xbox also had a hardware refresh in time for the holiday season though, so the advantage gained for Sony there is probably negligible.

dlauv

Not really?

I mean, a hardware refresh is always going to see a spur in sales, but you're still essentially targeting one market. There's not really a whole audience of people out there who had no interest in the PS4, but bought the Pro.

Xbox also had a hardware refresh in time for the holiday season though, so the advantage gained for Sony there is probably negligible.

I don't understand this reasoning.

X1 Slim vs PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro. Assuming you're targeting gamers and not brand-warriors, two of these SKU target 4K, but the X1S only partially. Aside from that, the marked down price and improved model that the Slimline refreshes always target were targeted by X1S and PS4 Slim: people who were late to board and needed a marketing push, and maybe people who want to see what the other side of the pasture looks like.

Do we have sales figures yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom