• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripolygon

Banned
They are not talking about the amount of months won, they are talking about the actual sales total for the second half of 2016.

Total January to June winner: PS4
Total July to December winner: XB1
Total 2016 winner: PS4
Yea that's true but its fair to call that a spin.

tmac456

About what I expected. lol that MS PR spin though. Not its worst ever but still pretty lol

I'd be pretty damn shocked if Sony doesn't price the Pro at $299 next holiday season for when Scorpio releases. That along with all the bundle possibilities and MS is gonna have another steep hill to climb.

e-gamer

1 SKU vs 2 SKU

I mean, it's kind of obvious, isn't it? Sony is attacking two markets and MS is attacking one and a half. The sales should logically reflect that. If Sony outsold MS 2:1, I'd be a little surprised.

Sure. The real deal is xbox one vs ps4 minus ps4 pro.

Last month ps4 vanilla sold alone 800k + 300k of ps4 pro. Could it or have sold better in december or ps4 pro started to gain share of ps4 vanilla?

Jumeira

Banned
How about play up being up YOY, best dec ever, play up the strengths of your brand? I mean it's not hard, you don't see Nintendo and Sony doing that craop
Did you read MS PR? They said exactly that. It's people here hung up on that reference, we got useful information about the sales for growth in thier statement.

Aceofspades

Banned
MS: Xbox one is top selling console in second half of 2016*

*in the US

Sony: PS4 is the best selling console in the world**

** World = Everywhere!

Internet, what did you do?

He deleted the tweet :(

NVM
new re-post
https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/819709832689135616

I see... He wanted to just remove the first comment about "where is the game"

sddefault.jpg

yurinka

So another year with PS4 outselling XBO even in USA. We knew that at some point the WW difference was around 2:1, I wonder how exactly is right now.

Aceofspades

Banned
It's a PR about NPD in a NPD thread, no need to denote US, nice try turning into something it's not.

Ok I will rephrase :

MS: Xbox one is the best selling console in the second half of 2016 in NPD.

Sony: MS spin game is strong because PS4 is the true best selling console in NPD.

Elandyll

Banned
So another year with PS4 outselling XBO even in USA. We knew that at some point the WW difference was 2:1, I wonder how is it right now.
I think it was near 2:1 (talking ww), so far as we could tell, but not quite.
Now. It's probably squarely 2:1 or very, very close..
Which is why many are saying that the 360 is very likely ahead by now (launch aligned), with 53.4m PS4 sold (a 2:1 differential putting the XB1 around 26.7m vs 28m at around the same time for the 360.

But think about it now.

Worldwide... We are looking at the PS4 having sold equal or more than PS3 + 360 combined in the same time frame... Possibly (I don't have charts to compare).

Unknown?

So another year with PS4 outselling XBO even in USA. We knew that at some point the WW difference was 2:1, I wonder how is it right now.
Might even be a bit higher now. Sony is going to mop the floor in Q1. MS's strategy of "let's just release everything at the end of the year" is really not doing them any favors. Maybe if it meant they win in the holidays but that hasn't worked.

Ok I will rephrase :

MS: Xbox one is the best selling console in the second half of 2016 in NPD.

Sony: MS spin game is strong because PS4 is the true best selling console in NPD.

Sony's response should be

"I'm sorry, what was that? I can't hear you over the sound of another one of your exclusives dying."

In all seriousness, even the months the Xbox One outsold the PS4 were hardly significant. Whatever gains they boast about were at best ineffective and negligible at worst. They lost the two biggest months of the year...again.

anothertech

Looks like Sony was correct in their predictions about the relevance of UHD drives.

LOL at that Greenberg tweet. Someone should ask him how much risk he takes when he tweets nonsense.

Jotaka

Metal&Gaming �� ‏@HardcoreMetal89
@aarongreenberg @Xbox Bullshit

Microsoft Australia ‏@MicrosoftAU
@HardcoreMetal89 Hey there. Need some assistance with your #Xbox? We're here to help. ^Nel

Bruce Starboy Wayne ‏@mighty_wayne
@MicrosoftAU @HardcoreMetal89 I need some assistance, my Xbox is missing exclusives can you find them please?

@mighty_wayne Hey Bruce, Would you mind giving us more info about the issue? ^Nel

Cadreinth ‏@Cadreinth
@MicrosoftAU @mighty_wayne Yeah, we can't find @Scalebound . And all videos of it are missing on Microsoft's / Xbox official Youtube channel. What happened? ��

Its like a BOT AI lol

They are not talking about the amount of months won, they are talking about the actual sales total for the second half of 2016.

Total January to June winner: PS4
Total July to December winner: XB1
Total 2016 winner: PS4

What about days where the temperature was greater than 70 degrees?

Unknown?

Metal&Gaming 🤘 ‏@HardcoreMetal89

@HardcoreMetal89 Hey there. Need some assistance with your #Xbox? We're here to help. ^Nel

@MicrosoftAU @HardcoreMetal89 I need some assistance, my Xbox is missing exclusives can you find them please?

@mighty_wayne Hey Bruce, Would you mind giving us more info about the issue? ^Nel

Its like a BOT AI lol
Rofl!!!!! That's actually hilarious like when the shopped Forza crowds at that empty Xbox launch.

Audioboxer

Metal&Gaming �� ‏@HardcoreMetal89

Cadreinth ‏@Cadreinth
@MicrosoftAU @mighty_wayne Yeah, we can't find @Scalebound . And all videos of it are missing on Microsoft's / Xbox official Youtube channel. What happened? ��

Its like a BOT AI lol

lol

I'm not sure why some people said UHD means shit after this month's XB1 sales.
Not something change everything of course, but i don't see UHD end up means nothing.

I'm not sure why some people said UHD means shit after this month's XB1 sales.
Not something change everything of course, but i don't see UHD end up means nothing.

It means nothing in the grand scheme of things.....UHD is barely a thing right now. Most people have 1080p TV's still and bluray never really overtook DVD, UHD will do even less, streaming is taking over. It's niche.

Elios83

Looks like Sony was correct in their predictions about the relevance of UHD drives.

It's not like Microsoft had different predictions about the relevance of the format, they had wrong predictions about what Sony would do with the Pro.
If only they had known they would have gladly decided to keep a higher profit margin for themselves.
But it's too early to tell where UHD is headed, I think that it will never become mainstream and nowhere as successful as Blu Ray, but depending on support by movie majors it could still be a successful and active niche product for videophiles. Biggest problem right now is support.

It means nothing in the grand scheme of things.....UHD is barely a thing right now. Most people have 1080p TV's still and bluray never really overtook DVD, UHD will do even less, streaming is taking over. It's niche.

It's not like XB1(S) doesn't support streaming, UHD is a thing that give people more option and add value, so it's something, even it's niche it still something helped it, just like many games labeled as niche games(by sales), but it still pushed for some people end up choose that console(yeah, mostly PS4).

Norse

Sony's response should be

"I'm sorry, what was that? I can't hear you over the sound of another one of your exclusives dying."

In all seriousness, even the months the Xbox One outsold the PS4 were hardly significant. Whatever gains they boast about were at best ineffective and negligible at worst. They lost the two biggest months of the year...again.

And yet you ignore the fact that "hardly significant" was still more than the ps4 brothers managed in "the two biggest months of the year."

Ms should have just said....

Xbox had it's best month ever. Since the introduction of the Xbox one S, Xbox has been the number 1 selling console in America.

Nothing wrong with that.

As for WW numbers, I don't think anyone that lives in NPD territory really cares who leads WW. They haven't had any effect here in the USA ever if I look back to the first pong console I had as a kid.

It's not like XB1(S) doesn't support streaming, UHD is a thing that give people more option and add value, so it's something, even it's niche it still something helped it, just like many games labeled as niche games(by sales), but it still pushed for some people end up choose that console(yeah, mostly PS4).

Not arguing for some it's a thing, a nice extra feature. but the overall market? No it isn't not in any meaningful sales numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom