• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people are calling Microsoft employees or their PR department "desperate" when their job is to promote their product. What do you honestly expect them to say? "Lol we tried but Sony outsold us again this year GG"? Both systems had a great month and the home console market is healthy; can't we be happy with that and cut the partisan BS? They are just entertainment devices.

How about play up being up YOY, best dec ever, play up the strengths of your brand? I mean it's not hard, you don't see Nintendo and Sony doing that craop

Believe what you want I guess...

360 is ahead XB1 WW... just make the year over year maths... the only way to XB1 be ahead was if it was UP yoy in 2016.

??
do you talk about LTD or YTD?
because i talked about YTD. year 3 xbox one vs year 3 xb360

LTD xbox one is still easily ahead

This is US sales thread last I checked. What do Japanese sales have to do with that?

Some of you have absolutely no idea what PR is supposed to do. This is their job. If this bothers you so much how the hell are you going to deal with the PR coming from the President the next 4 years?
By mocking it just like we are mocking Microsoft. I don't fall for PR. I'm no puppet. No puppet.

sense

How about play up being up YOY, best dec ever, play up the strengths of your brand? I mean it's not hard, you don't see Nintendo and Sony doing that craop
Agreed. Or even better not say anything? I mean, they stopped reporting numbers so why does this shit matter

gogojira

Not sure why people are calling Microsoft employees or their PR department "desperate" when their job is to promote their product. What do you honestly expect them to say? "Lol we tried but Sony outsold us again this year GG"? Both systems had a great month and the home console market is healthy; can't we be happy with that and cut the partisan BS? They are just entertainment devices.

I own all consoles and will get Switch and probably Scorpio. I know it's his job to promote his brand, I just thought this one was pretty bad and the phrasing was hilariously deceptive. I honestly don't care, just thought it was funny in a "PlayStation family" kind of way.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Or they subsidize the price like they did with both the PS2 & 3.

When they were clearly interested in pushing the new disk format on costumers, which they don't seem to want now.

Wasn't only on this CES that they showed a standalone 4K Blu-ray player?

When they were clearly interested in pushing the new disk format on costumers, which they don't seem to want now.

Wasn't only on this CES that they showed a standalone 4K Blu-ray player?

No drive was fine, silly people made a big deal out of it, I mean bluray never really caught on and overtook DVD, streaming is the next thing, UHD is niche, very niche.

Trey

People attach a lot of personal identity to these companies and products. The sides thing will never really stop.

Agreed. Or even better not say anything? I mean, they stopped reporting numbers so why does this shit matter
Because it matters. Microsoft can't let the PS4 be the default choice in the US like it is in much of the world or else their sales will look like they are in the rest of the world.

killatopak

Gold Member
LkeusqX.jpg

WOWWWWW HAHAHAH

If Microsoft saying they outsold Sony in the second half of the year gets you up in arms then I don't know what to say man. It's called public relations for a reason; their entire job is to spin.

People attach a lot of personal identity to these companies and products. The sides thing will never really stop.

This is very true and kind of sad.

Fdkn

This is why even tho its losing to the PS4 it isnt all bad news.

Doing better than the previous model is a good thing.

the previous model did not follow a normal sales curve. The comparison with the best 360 years is still to come, I wouldn't bet on XB1 following the same trend.

Welfare

But it's not really a fact is it?

PS4 took

Xbox One took

They are not talking about the amount of months won, they are talking about the actual sales total for the second half of 2016.

Total January to June winner: PS4
Total July to December winner: XB1
Total 2016 winner: PS4

If Microsoft saying they outsold Sony in the second half of the year gets you up in arms then I don't know what to say man. It's called public relations for a reason; their entire job is to spin.

Who is up in arms? Not me, this is a discussion forum buddy. If you don't like my post ignore it.

Until year 3 XB1 was ahead. Year 4 it was below. LTD it is below.

this is just the US, but Xb1 is still way ahead of Xb360

360 vs Xb1 yearly us sales in million units
0.6 vs 1.8 up 200%
3.9 vs 4.3 up 10%
4.6 vs 4.9 up 6,5%
4.7 vs 4.6 down 2%
4.8 vs
6.8 vs
7.3 vs

LTD
13.8 vs 15.6 up 13%

ethomaz

Banned
this is just the US, but Xb1 is still way ahead of Xb360

360 vs Xb1 us sales in million units
0.6 vs 1.8 up 200%
3.9 vs 4.3 up 10%
4.6 vs 4.9 up 6,5%
4.7 vs 4.6 down 2%
4.8 vs
6.8 vs
7.3 vs

LTD
13.8 vs 15.6 up 13%
Did you read my post?

The conversation was about rest of the world being below 360 because WW it is below 360 while in US it is ahead 360.

US: XB1 > 360
WW: 360 > XB1

=

Outside US: 360 > XB1

360 was at 28m sold in 2008.

Elios83

They could just talk about what went well for them (up YOY and best month ever in the US) without trying to create success stories where they don't exist and make direct comparisons with competitors that are beating them.
Microsoft just lost an other holiday season and an other full year. And this is in their most favourable market going all out with deals, price cuts and retailer promotions.

ianpm31

They could just talk about what went well for them (up YOY and best month ever in the US) without trying to create success stories where they don't exist and make direct comparisons with competitors that are beating them.
Microsoft just lost an other holiday season and an other full year. And this is in their most favourable market.

While Sony wins December and the entire year of 2016 and it's "no comment" lol

Apathy

But it's not really a fact is it?

PS4 took

Xbox One took

The way he can phrase it is is right, in a weird way if he doesn't mean total (and he probably doesn't)

He said that in the second half of 2016 they were the top selling machine. So that is between July, August, September, October, November and December.

As per what you have, they took 4 out of 6 months in the second half of the year. So they took top spot each one of those months meaning they were top sellers in 4 months of out 6. So you can interpret it as him saying they were top 4 out of 6 months in the second half of the year, but not necessarily the top totally sellers if you actually add up what was sold those 6 months.

Who is up in arms? Not me, this is a discussion forum buddy. If you don't like my post ignore it.

How is this a discussion? I made a post that you chose to comment on. I responded back essentially saying MS is going to spin regardless and your answer is "if you don't like my post ignore it"

I'm happy to have a discussion but you don't seem interested. I'm also not the type to put someone on ignore just because they don't agree with me so I won't be doing that but thanks for the suggestion.

Microsoft just lost an other holiday season and an other full year. And this is in their most favourable market.

First I want to say that I am a PS4/Wii U guy this gen so I have no horse to back in this race.

Second, are they lying when they say they outsold Sony over the second half of the year? If they are then I could see why all the critical posts are coming out. But it seems to me (correct me if I am wrong please) that people are upset Microsoft is "spinning" a story just because A) Sony won December, and B) Playstation outsold Xbox in 2016. It's like they expect a public relations department to speak straight facts instead of half truths which makes me scratch my head because this isn't anything new.

Did you read my post?

The conversation was about rest of the world being below 360 because WW it is below 360 while in US it is ahead 360.

US: XB1 > 360
WW: 360 > XB1

=

Outside US: 360 > XB1

yeah i read it
and WW XB1 > 360 still

unless you can tell me how xb1 is already over 2 million units behind 360 outside the us.
all the lastest data from uk, france, germany and australia shows xb1 still ahead of the 360
so where sold the xb1 over 2 million units less than xb360 in the fist 3 years?

360 was at 28m sold in 2008.
360 was at 28.5m shipped at the end of 2008

How is this a discussion? I made a post that you chose to comment on. I responded back essentially saying MS is going to spin regardless and your answer is "if you don't like my post ignore it"

I'm happy to have a discussion but you don't seem interested. I'm also not the type to put someone on ignore just because they don't agree with me so I won't be doing that but thanks for the suggestion.

First I want to say that I am a PS4/Wii U guy this gen so I have no horse to back in this race.

Second, are they lying when they say they outsold Sony over the second half of the year? If they are then I could see why all the critical posts are coming out. But it seems to me (correct me if I am wrong please) that people are upset Microsoft is "spinning" a story just because A) Sony won December, and B) Playstation outsold Xbox in 2016. It's like they expect a public relations department to speak straight facts instead of half truths which makes me scratch my head because this isn't anything new.
We were discussing the PR, and how MS uses it, compared to Sony/Nintendo you came in accusing people of being up in arms who simpy were not... We are allowed to are we not? If so what's the big deal? Irony is no one is upset except you.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So what I've taken away:

-UHD drive means shit (RIP physical media)

-Focusing only on the holidays has not helped MS at all this gen.

-Pro was not the megahit some hoped nor was it the 32X flop others hoped. It was...middling.

-As always, Next Holidays Will Be Interesting(tm).

It's not a stupid strategy. It is the same strategy that got us higher end models with just an increase in hard drive size last gen.

Price. Price. Price.
Price. Price. Price.
Price. Price. Price.
Price. Price. Price.

That is what matters most, and the Pro came in with the same price as would be typical of the high end model. People really aren't grasping what Sony has been saying all along. The Pro isn't a new generation. It is just another model of the base PS4. In that capacity the Pro is an absolutely fantastic new entry when you compare it to an ordinary 2TB PS4 high end console we typically would have gotten.

All this. Especially the bolded. All it would have been was a 2TB harddrive. Ppl arent looking at this the right way.

Remember last gen when we got console refreshes? Bigger harddrive, slimmer console, in some cases finally an HDMI port or built in wifi. And thats it.

I like what both MS and Sony did. And if the One S makes a difference or not it does to my kids. Oldest son said the games look batter on the One S, he played alot on his cousin's orig XBO.

That could be a placebo effect just knowing it has a specs bump but even if its just that MS has accomplished their goal.

Listen you cant just choose your own dates to make yourself feel better, either you say the whole year or you say the month that you won in. You dont came out and say "hey for the last 6 months" no thats not the way it works. No one does that but MS.

Thats why people are laughing at them. No one is mad at them everyone is laughing at them. they take the L and still try to find a way to spin it. Just stay with your MUA's,

thelastword

Banned
The Xb1s price was lowered and it had a UHD drive

Who do you think can get components cheaper Sony or MS?

Like "protecting" us from EA Access, this is about more profit
Hey it's business, who's against profit there?

I personally have several blurays I bought in the PS3 days and I never watched them, sampled them yes. Never even popped a bluray into my PS4 and it's been 3+ years, I'm just not sure gamers are into UHD drives for a console so much in todays world of streaming and DLNA....

Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Cinemax and so many more and PLEX is the best media server for the PS4 by a long shot. I've been much more invested in these than the physical drive, and yes, it's not even close...

Sony's PR is boring, I mean if they want they can really put it to MS, but they rarely even comment anymore.
My guess is that Sony wants people to focus more on their long term overall domination rather than the small relatively minor monthly results that they'll lose from time to time due to some short term XB1 marketing push. Microsoft wants the opposite strategy. They want to slice and dice the pie anyway they can to show a victory and distract away from that overall trend.

ethomaz

Banned
yeah i read it
and WW XB1 > 360 still

unless you can tell me how xb1 is already over 2 million units behind 360 outside the us.
all the lastest data from uk, france, germany and australia shows xb1 still ahead of the 360
so where sold the xb1 over 2 million units less than xb360 in the fist 3 years?
Like I said you believe what you want believe but 360 > XB1 WW.

360 at end of 2008: 28m

To XB1 archive that it needed at minimum be UP yoy in 2016 over 2015... it is down.

360 was at 28.5m shipped at the end of 2008
And 28m sold shared by MS in January 5, 2009.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-microsoft-xbox-idUSTRE5050GJ20090106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom