• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD - PS4 was the top selling console of December 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus P

But the 6 months they are talking about arnt even quarterly months. We have been saying it all through out this thread its a SPIN. Exactly what you said thats what we are laughing it. Its obviously damage control because the lost the month. Thats why we are laughing. No one said they couldn't do it, we are just find it hilarious that they are always doing it, because lets be honest they are getting stomped.

You seem offended.

Maybe you can offer what you think Microsoft should have said it their statement. How would you have worded it?

Humdinger

No, You still dont get to pick the dates. The xbone S didnt come out 6 months ago. You cant pick when you started winning you have to use the whole year.

I disagree with the rest of what you're saying, but you've got a point here. The S came out Aug 2nd, and they're including July (which they won). That's slightly misleading, since what I took them to be implying was, "We've sold more since we introduced the Slim." Actually, it started the month before. (Which is weird, btw; why would they win the month prior?)

Console manufactures aren't your friends, and plastic boxes that play games don't love you back.

Say it ain't so.

Chobel

shammrsw2.gif

lol

Melchiah

Dunno if this has already been cleared...
“December was the biggest month ever for Xbox One sales in the U.S., and Xbox One was the only [current-generation] console with year-over-year growth, according to NPD,”
“In addition, Xbox One was the top-selling console over the second half of 2016, following the announcement of Xbox One S at E3.”
...does that mean it actually sold more units in NA during the 2nd half of the year, or that it just came on top for more months? To my understanding, the lead in sales during the four months it was on top wasn't that great, and it wasn't on top during the two bestselling months.

Rymuth

Metal&Gaming �� ‏@HardcoreMetal89
@aarongreenberg @Xbox Bullshit

Microsoft Australia ‏@MicrosoftAU
@HardcoreMetal89 Hey there. Need some assistance with your #Xbox? We're here to help. ^Nel

Bruce Starboy Wayne ‏@mighty_wayne
@MicrosoftAU @HardcoreMetal89 I need some assistance, my Xbox is missing exclusives can you find them please?

Microsoft Australia ‏@MicrosoftAU
@mighty_wayne Hey Bruce, Would you mind giving us more info about the issue? ^Nel

Cadreinth ‏@Cadreinth
@MicrosoftAU @mighty_wayne Yeah, we can't find @Scalebound . And all videos of it are missing on Microsoft's / Xbox official Youtube channel. What happened? ��

Its like a BOT AI lol
Okay, this exchange is pretty funny.

Frobary

Dunno if this has already been cleared...

...does that mean it actually sold more units in NA during the 2nd half of the year, or that it just came on top for more months? To my understanding, the lead in sales during the four months it was on top wasn't that great, and it wasn't on top during the two bestselling months.
Jul-Nov
X1 - 2.1M
PS4 - 1.94M

So:

Jan - June: PS4 > X1
July - Dec: X1 > PS4

As the difference in sales for July - Oct of the X1 over the PS4 was not that big, that tells us that the difference in favor of PS4 in Nov and Dec has been minimum.

Any numbers form previous months to try figure this out?

Announcing that you have been leading in total console sales since your Slim revision came out is not spin it's useful/interesting data that's worthy of a mention. Y'all are pinntibh and laughing at something that was a perfectly reasonable observation to make. Put down your pitchforks for a minute and consider what that data point could mean.

That's not the spin.

The spin is making the statement "we're number 1 according to NPD" on twitter to try and make it a headline during the same time as Sony being number 1 according to NPD.

Apt101

What are the Pro figures?

I also wonder if the sales of 4K televisions increased noticeably with the release of the X1S and Pro. I doubt it, probably the TV was more the chicken than the egg, or whatever, but it would be interesting to know.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So, what are the December numbers? The difference has to be very minimal.

PS4 outsold XB1 in December, so if you did July-December the PS4 probably would come out on top, otherwise MS wouldn't be using July-November as their metric for second half of the year.

Melchiah

PS4 outsold XB1 in December, so if you did July-December the PS4 probably would come out on top, otherwise MS wouldn't be using June-November as their metric for second half of the year.

If so, even MS' own metric is misleading, since it isn't actually the 2nd half of the year, despite of the "following the announcement of Xbox One S at E3" qualifier.

Nouzka

So both PS4 and Xbox One did better than I predicted, nice. Thought both were gonna do about same numbers as they did in November.

sirronoh

Healthy hardware and software sales is good for the industry and ultimately good for gamers but given the recent uncertainty surrounding the direction of Xbox and after that somewhat underwhelming Switch presentation that didn't give much of a reason to get the system right away outside of Zelda, it seems like Sony is well positioned to carry worldwide sales for 2017.

I'm surprised about Switch. I was ready to jump in within the first few months but now I'm in wait-and-see mode. I can't justify $300 just for Zelda plus perhaps 1 or 2 more titles but we'll see how the year plays out. Hopefully there's more in the pipeline that will be revealed soon or at E3.

Curious to see what the December gap was. January and February should go to PS4 but I don't doubt it will be closer than years past. March will be interesting with Switch coming out at the very beginning of the month. Hope it's successful for Nintendo one way or another though.

Announcing that you have been leading in total console sales since your Slim revision came out is not spin it's useful/interesting data that's worthy of a mention. Y'all are pinntibh and laughing at something that was a perfectly reasonable observation to make. Put down your pitchforks for a minute and consider what that data point could mean.
Exactly this, some responses in this thread are ridiculous, but i think this is usual thing for NPD threads.
who said they were anyones friends? Who said plastic loves anyone back? We are simply laughing at the way MS is spinning it.
Just like MS getting away from whats actually going on.
Who is those "we" are you talking about?

I also wonder if the sales of 4K televisions increased noticeably with the release of the X1S and Pro. I doubt it, probably the TV was more the chicken than the egg, or whatever, but it would be interesting to know.
Unknown, they just counts as PS4. I think Sony don't want to share Pro figures because regular PS4 and Pro are same console in they marketing strategy. Same situation will probably be with Scropio. As for 4K television, i doubt that increase was noticeable, it's a little too soon for this, i expect to see really noticeable rise only at this year holidays, when we'll see more affordable 4K models.

Curious to see what the December gap was. January and February should go to PS4 but I don't doubt it will be closer than years past. March will be interesting with Switch coming out at the very beginning of the month. Hope it's successful for Nintendo one way or another though.
Yeah, after this Nintendo presentation i'm afraid that Switch even didn't manage to "win" month consoles sales since PS4 march lineup packed with big releases like Horizon and Nier, not too mention "smaller" games and multiplatform titles that not going to be released on Switch.

ethomaz

Banned
From what we have basically...

PS4 H1: 1.57m
XB1 H1: 1.11m

PS4 Jul-Nov: 1.78m
XB1 Jul-Nov: 1.94m

PS4 Dec - XB1 Dec < 0.16m

So, what are the December numbers? The difference has to be very minimal.
The gap this month can be anything from 1 unit to 160k units.

$99 billion console gaming industry in the US.
Man I know most of Gaf says AAA gaming is in the toilet but that figure sounds massive to me.

We will never get Pro figures.
A PS4 Pro=PS4 to Sony in terms of releasing sales data.

PS4 outsold XB1 in December, so if you did July-December the PS4 probably would come out on top, otherwise MS wouldn't be using July-November as their metric for second half of the year.

Surely they've got to be talking about Xbone outselling PS4 from July-December inclusive? They can twist and spin, but not blatantly lie when talking about these things.

TBiddy

Reading this informative and civilized thread and suddenly stumbling upon this fanboy who clearly just tries to derail the discussion with his agenda is just sad.

It's always obvious to see who has an agenda and who's actually interested in discussing sales.

Bauer_Hans

Neo Member
Metal&Gaming &#65533;&#65533; &#8207;@HardcoreMetal89
@aarongreenberg @Xbox Bullshit

Microsoft Australia &#8207;@MicrosoftAU
@HardcoreMetal89 Hey there. Need some assistance with your #Xbox? We're here to help. ^Nel

Bruce Starboy Wayne &#8207;@mighty_wayne
@MicrosoftAU @HardcoreMetal89 I need some assistance, my Xbox is missing exclusives can you find them please?

Microsoft Australia &#8207;@MicrosoftAU
@mighty_wayne Hey Bruce, Would you mind giving us more info about the issue? ^Nel

Cadreinth &#8207;@Cadreinth
@MicrosoftAU @mighty_wayne Yeah, we can't find @Scalebound . And all videos of it are missing on Microsoft's / Xbox official Youtube channel. What happened? &#65533;&#65533;

Its like a BOT AI lol

lmao, dying over here

From what we have basically...

PS4 H1: 1.57m
XB1 H1: 1.11m

PS4 Jul-Nov: 1.78m
XB1 Jul-Nov: 1.94m

PS4 Dec - XB1 Dec < 0.16m

The gap this month can be anything from 1 unit to 160k units.

Thank you for the breakdown. It's great to see both platforms selling that good. I'd have expected the Pro + PSVR driving more sales, but I guess that someone has only that much money to spend.

Rex is right, and your response is ridiculous. There's no rule to time periods, and it is an interesting look.

It would be an interesting look if they really did use the time since the S launched. They didn't. Instead it's "We are ahead over an arbitrary 6 month time period", said after they just lost the last two months of that time period.

I have no idea what's interesting about that.

shanew21

People were saying "X1S was a more despireable product" which is silly, it got a boost for a few months sure, bu things are stabilizing back to normal. PS4 will win most months going forward

Joke Post?

And you're ignoring the fact that Sony released the PS4 Pro as well? They're stabilizing because Sony also released a new console. Xbox will probably outsell Playstation once Scorpio comes out, then Sony will outsell once the PS5 releases. And continue.

And you're ignoring the fact that Sony released the PS4 Pro as well? They're stabilizing because Sony also released a new console. Xbox will probably outsell Playstation once Scorpio comes out, then Sony will outsell once the PS5 releases. And continue.

Scorpio is not chaning anything...it will be niche like PRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom